As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] No, we're never going to stop talking about pot legalization.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Disco11 wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    I've said it before but you need a party to WIN the election using FPTP then decide to change it.

I don't see that happening. We can look at the current liberals as a prime example of that.

Eh, I don't buy that. I think if the other parties had actually signed on to a specific plan, or even if just the NDP had, they'd have done it.

But no one wanted to agree on what the new system should look like so the Liberals just walked away from it.

I really don't see how that has anything to do with it. We elected a Majority government that ran on changing FPTP as a core part of their platform and they chose not to change it....

Why do you think someone else would do differently?

They chose not to change it because none of the parties could agree on what it should look like post change. With most seemingly jockeying for whatever system most benefited themselves.

Before the commission even really began there were cries of the Liberals "stacking the deck" and the like because they had a majority on the committee based on their electoral performance, and so it was changed. And that complaint was, you know, exactly the kind of thing that would also apply to the even more important action of actually changing the voting system.

The liberals were totally willing to change the system but they weren't willing to do it unilaterally.

We voted in majority government.... If they wanted to be changed they could and should have since they ran on that platform. We have votes in the house of commons for this exact reason.

By this logic, it will never change since you will never get the other parties to agree on a system.

Just getting a majority doesn't mean you get to change the way elections are held unilaterally. That's literally a fascist takeover move. Zero exaggeration here. Get a majority and then enshrine yourself permanent majority rule is page 1 of the modern fascist takeover. We should be staying the hell away from that shit.

Forbearance is a big part of a stable democracy. Just cause you can doesn't mean you should.

Why does that only seem to apply to the left or center?

Things will literally never change so why bother even talking about election reform then? This was literally our best chance and it was squandered because the liberals could not get the other parties to agree on the reform that benefited them the most. If they went with the NDP's proposal we could have made it work.

And so it goes....

Because the conservatives are pieces of shit who don't really believe in democracy?

The Liberals and the NDP needed to get their heads in the fucking game and find a compromise solution they could both back. But as usual they are too interested in fighting one another.

So that leaves us screwed and possibly in a USA style position after the next election.

Super happy those principles are working for us..... Forgive me if I am disappointed that the party I elected in large part to get rid of FPTP decided that compromise was not worth the possible loss of votes.

shryke the reality is someone is going to have to make some tough choices and have some political will to ever get that changed and the Liberals have proven by their actions that they are not the party to do so. This is not hyperbole they literally chose to do nothing.

The principles of not unilaterally changing the rules of democracy? Yeah, that seems pretty solid.

Maybe you should be asking the left and centre to get stop their stupid bickering and actually try and improve the system rather then some anti-democratic bullshit.

The liberals RAN on eliminating FPTP.... How exactly would it be undemocratic to do it? If this was a surprise they pulled out of their hat I would get your point but they got votes from many people (including myself) for that exact reason.

Your argument does not hold water.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2057052/trudeau-to-unveil-plan-to-restore-democracy/

No dude. Your entire argument literally contradicts itself.

- You are mad at the current system because it doesn't provide good representation and allows parties with minority levels of support to win majorities, sometimes large ones, in parliament and just in general allows political power via seat counts that are not representative of the actual votes cast by the electorate
    - So your solution is to demand that a government that won just under 40% of votes to unilaterally change that system
    - Based on the idea that they have a mandate based on winning a majority under the system you want to change because it allows parties to win a disproportionate number of seats compared to their actual support

The huge gaping hole in your idea here is really obvious.

shryke on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    If nothing else, we can all move to PEI after their election next year. In addition to their regular election, they'll simultaneously be holding a referendum on switching to a Mixed Member Proportional system. It seems like there's at least a chance of it passing too.

Lobster rolls and no FPTP?

Go on...

sig.gif
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I've said it before but you need a party to WIN the election using FPTP then decide to change it.

I don't see that happening. We can look at the current liberals as a prime example of that.

Eh, I don't buy that. I think if the other parties had actually signed on to a specific plan, or even if just the NDP had, they'd have done it.

But no one wanted to agree on what the new system should look like so the Liberals just walked away from it.

I really don't see how that has anything to do with it. We elected a Majority government that ran on changing FPTP as a core part of their platform and they chose not to change it....

Why do you think someone else would do differently?

They chose not to change it because none of the parties could agree on what it should look like post change. With most seemingly jockeying for whatever system most benefited themselves.

Before the commission even really began there were cries of the Liberals "stacking the deck" and the like because they had a majority on the committee based on their electoral performance, and so it was changed. And that complaint was, you know, exactly the kind of thing that would also apply to the even more important action of actually changing the voting system.

The liberals were totally willing to change the system but they weren't willing to do it unilaterally.

We voted in majority government.... If they wanted to be changed they could and should have since they ran on that platform. We have votes in the house of commons for this exact reason.

By this logic, it will never change since you will never get the other parties to agree on a system.

Just getting a majority doesn't mean you get to change the way elections are held unilaterally. That's literally a fascist takeover move. Zero exaggeration here. Get a majority and then enshrine yourself permanent majority rule is page 1 of the modern fascist takeover. We should be staying the hell away from that shit.

Forbearance is a big part of a stable democracy. Just cause you can doesn't mean you should.

Why does that only seem to apply to the left or center?

Things will literally never change so why bother even talking about election reform then? This was literally our best chance and it was squandered because the liberals could not get the other parties to agree on the reform that benefited them the most. If they went with the NDP's proposal we could have made it work.

And so it goes....

Because the conservatives are pieces of shit who don't really believe in democracy?

The Liberals and the NDP needed to get their heads in the fucking game and find a compromise solution they could both back. But as usual they are too interested in fighting one another.

So that leaves us screwed and possibly in a USA style position after the next election.

Super happy those principles are working for us..... Forgive me if I am disappointed that the party I elected in large part to get rid of FPTP decided that compromise was not worth the possible loss of votes.

shryke the reality is someone is going to have to make some tough choices and have some political will to ever get that changed and the Liberals have proven by their actions that they are not the party to do so. This is not hyperbole they literally chose to do nothing.

The principles of not unilaterally changing the rules of democracy? Yeah, that seems pretty solid.

Maybe you should be asking the left and centre to get stop their stupid bickering and actually try and improve the system rather then some anti-democratic bullshit.

The liberals RAN on eliminating FPTP.... How exactly would it be undemocratic to do it? If this was a surprise they pulled out of their hat I would get your point but they got votes from many people (including myself) for that exact reason.

Your argument does not hold water.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2057052/trudeau-to-unveil-plan-to-restore-democracy/

No dude. Your entire argument literally contradicts itself.

- You are mad at the current system because it doesn't provide good representation and allows parties with minority levels of support to win majorities, sometimes large ones, in parliament and just in general allows political power via seat counts that are not representative of the actual votes cast by the electorate
    - So your solution is to demand that a government that won just under 40% of votes to unilaterally change that system
    - Based on the idea that they have a mandate based on winning a majority under the system you want to change because it allows parties to win a disproportionate number of seats compared to their actual support

The huge gaping hole in your idea here is really obvious.

I want the system changed. I voted for change. The party I voted for and campaigned for said change decided it was not worth the risk in a move of terrible political cowardice because the options on the table were not favorable to their election chances.

Why elect governments at all? What's the point of having a majority if it's not to effect change?

The conservatives changed campaign financing laws that benefit them immensely by allowing more corporate donations and screwing over any minor parties/independents by eliminating per vote subsidies and they did fuck all to consult other parties about it.

I don't want hyperpolarization 'merica style and any sort of other systems would have done huge steps to prevent that. I don't want Prime Minister Kenney or Ford and anything that prevents that is a good thing.

What's your solution? Hope Trudeau grows a spine THIS election? I'm truly at a loss here because you are pushing replacing FPTP without taking into account that literally no one is pushing for it anymore.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    HerrCron wrote: »
    If nothing else, we can all move to PEI after their election next year. In addition to their regular election, they'll simultaneously be holding a referendum on switching to a Mixed Member Proportional system. It seems like there's at least a chance of it passing too.

Go on...

Also, the only right wing party on the ballot are the pretty moderate PEI PCs.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    It's bold to elect we all move to PEI only days after the climate study. PEI, or New Atlantis? ;P

• Options
    It's bold to elect we all move to PEI only days after the climate study. PEI, or New Atlantis? ;P

Basically, we're all going to move to the tallest building in Charlottetown.

• Options

It's three stories, yeah?

• Options
    edited October 2018

It's three stories, yeah?

I mean, that would just be ridiculo ...
    https://www.emporis.com/buildings/1250442/holman-grand-hotel-charlottetown-canada
    Floors (above ground) 10
    Okay, it might get a bit crowded.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Dibs on the penthouse.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »

Go on...

Treif...

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    So, with legalization around the corner, now is a good time to remind everyone that it’s not all sunshine and rainbows, and it’s not likely to be such a a while yet.

If you have or know of an unofficial source (or better yet an official one that stores customer data in country, like a friend of mine does), use those until you can safely and legally pay with actual cash. Which is, at least in Ontario, expected sometime in mid 2019 or so.

https://www.mtlblog.com/news/us-border-officials-can-now-check-canadians-credit-card-history-and-ban-you-for-legal-marijuana-purchases

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    So, with legalization around the corner, now is a good time to remind everyone that it’s not all sunshine and rainbows, and it’s not likely to be such a a while yet.

If you have or know of an unofficial source (or better yet an official one that stores customer data in country, like a friend of mine does), use those until you can safely and legally pay with actual cash. Which is, at least in Ontario, expected sometime in mid 2019 or so.

https://www.mtlblog.com/news/us-border-officials-can-now-check-canadians-credit-card-history-and-ban-you-for-legal-marijuana-purchases

US Customs can already deny entry or ban you for little to no reason, afaik.

Unless they actually implement policy saying that all recreational users must be denied entry, I’m not sure what has changed.

And if they are asking about your recreational habits and doing a credit card search, it sounds like they are 3/4 of the way to denying entry even if they find nothing.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Currently visiting my ol' stompin' grounds in Toronto and I can't even tell that legalization is just around the corner. My town in the BC Bible Belt is practically having a pot party while I could barely even find a hint of MJ love in freakin' Kensington Market! I guess they don't call it Toronto the Good for nothing.

Speaking of Toronto, my friends here are telling me about all the extreme right-wing crazies who are crawling out of the woodwork to run for Council. In their ward there's a scared-of-crime, pro-gun, anti-secular Ford ally as one of the major candidates. Reminds me of the election when Rob Ford ran and half the counselor candidates' platforms in my riding read like a screed from the folks in my hometown asking for bus fare near the Greyhound station because they'd been outside in the desert for too long and their brains were kinda fried. I guess if the newly bloated ridings are doing one good thing, it'll be to likely give the extremists less chance of being elected...

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Currently visiting my ol' stompin' grounds in Toronto and I can't even tell that legalization is just around the corner. My town in the BC Bible Belt is practically having a pot party while I could barely even find a hint of MJ love in freakin' Kensington Market! I guess they don't call it Toronto the Good for nothing.

More like Toronto the capital city of the province whose cops are still doing marijuana busts in the last week before legalization.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Really? I was at the Argos game last night and people were smoking a joint walking through Liberty Village towards the GO train pass through to get to BMO Field.

Its not like the city is a hotbed of pot smokers.... but its not as if people are not getting more brazen in recent years.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Really? I was at the Argos game last night and people were smoking a joint walking through Liberty Village smoking a joint towards the GO train pass through to get to BMO Field.

Its not like the city is a hotbed of pot smokers.... but its not as if people are not getting more brazen in recent years.

People were wandering around smoking up before legalization was on the table too. It didn't seem like it was a huge deal.

The americans I went to school with commented on it being way more relaxed then back home for them.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Really? I was at the Argos game last night and people were smoking a joint walking through Liberty Village towards the GO train pass through to get to BMO Field.

Hey I was at the Ticats game last night too! Can confirm people were openly toking up.
    They thoroughly checked my bag and made me throw out an almost empty bottle of iced tea though.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I think they go after vendors more because of NIMBYism. Like that time the Liberals wanted to sell pot out of an LCBO store within HALF A KILOMETER of an elementary school and people freaked the fuck out.

Of course now the PCs want businesses to be able to sell pot wherever the fuck they want, and crickets crickets crickets.

• Options
    Welcome to blatant and abject hypocrisy.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    Welcome to blatant and abject hypocrisy.

Speaking of!

Incoming Quebec premier states crucifix in legislature a cultural symbol, not a religious one

This would be my shocked face, if I weren't already laughing from the fact that the Catholic Bishops stated the following:
    As for the Catholic bishops, they haven’t changed their minds either.

“We thought we’d be at peace for a while, though we expected this discussion would resurface if the CAQ was elected,” said Germain Tremblay, the lay assistant to the secretary general of the Assemblée des évêques du Québec, and the organization’s spokesperson.

“Our position hasn’t changed. The crucifix for us is not just a heritage object — it’s a sacred religious object that should be in churches or residences for people of the Catholic faith. It’s a symbol of hope in the resurrection and to remind the faithful that there is life after death.”

Tremblay said it was Maurice Duplessis who placed the crucifix in the National Assembly to show the complicity between the church and the state. (Duplessis was very much against secularism.)

“Now in 2018, if Mr. Legault is waiting for the support of the Catholic church he will be disappointed… Politicians put the crucifix there, it’s up to politicians to decide what to do with it,” Tremblay said. “I think we have better things to discuss.”

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's rather obvious to everyone that the CAQ and PQ don't care in the slightness about laicity. It's all about the shock boomers experienced when they realized that culture is not reduced to language.
    Turn out that French speaking immigrants are mostly going to come from North Africa, and some of them are not non-practising Catholics.
    This should be impossible, since they speak French and everyone speaking the same language obviously have the same culture, but it's happening and they want that to stop happening.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I thought it was more "How do we stop seeing all these non-christian religious stuff"? Just obviously anti-islam etc.

• Options
    It's kind of weird to see the church calling them on this.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    That statement from the Church is a good one. "We like the crucifix... but this shit is your problem, not ours."

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular

I think the cross being a religious symbol is kinda important for them.

It's like if the government was shitting on LGBT, but excluding bisexuality because bi-erasure and hey they don't count when in hetero relationships, as a bisexual I'd be "hey fuck you we are totally LGBT."

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    The Catholic Church is very firmly of the opinion that nonpracticing Catholicism is bad, that Quebeckers should be back in church, and that Catholic symbols are obviously Catholic.
    Meanwhile, the boomers are ok with Catholic symbols and traditions being everywhere, as long as they don't have to go to church.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

I mean, it's sort of an existential question for the Church.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I think that as far as the average thought process of the average bozo on the street is, there's next to no difference between culture and religion, or at least one hell of a blurred line. I mean there is when you get down to the fine print of things, but for most people, their religion is their culture, and vice versa.

So I understand where he's coming from when he says it's a "cultural" symbol... to him. But he's dead wrong by saying "So that's why it should remain up". Because it's a defacto religious symbol to the world.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    In the technical sense that religion is a part of culture, yes it is a cultural symbol. In the legal sense, get that shit out of government buildings.

• Options
    mrondeau wrote: »
    The Catholic Church is very firmly of the opinion that nonpracticing Catholicism is bad, that Quebeckers should be back in church, and that Catholic symbols are obviously Catholic.
    Meanwhile, the boomers are ok with Catholic symbols and traditions being everywhere, as long as they don't have to go to church.

To be fair, not wanting to go to church is like the heart and soul of Catholicism.

• Options
    mrondeau wrote: »

To be fair, not wanting to go to church is like the heart and soul of Catholicism.
    Fairly certain that's a rather heretical position. At the very least, you are supposed to go once in a while.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I believe the technical term for shryke's comment is "a joke".

:)

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I believe the technical term for shryke's comment is "a joke".

:)
    I'm not going to miss an opportunity to use the word "heretical" outside of 40K or poutine. That would go against everything I believe in!

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    In local (Hamilton) politics
    Provincial NDP distances itself from Eve Adams campaign after "Andrea Horvath" endorsement
    Ontario's official opposition says Hamilton city council candidate Eve Adams has created confusion by sending out an orange-tinted election mail out with an endorsement from an "Andrea Horvath" — not Andrea Horwath, the leader of the NDP.

Residents started posting online about the mail out on Friday. In a section titled "What our neighbours say" is a quote from "Andrea Horvath" that reads "Eve is the best choice for Ward 8."

What happened you may ask?

Adams maiden name is Horvath, apparently she think someone might care what her family member thinks of her political ability

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Because we sometimes need a good laugh in Canada, apparently we have the safest road in the world:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ContagiousLaughter/comments/9o6lhr/the_safest_street_in_the_world/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Because we sometimes need a good laugh in Canada, apparently we have the safest road in the world:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ContagiousLaughter/comments/9o6lhr/the_safest_street_in_the_world/

I actually drove past that over the weekend! There was definitely a moment of, "Wait, how is that still ...".

• Options

I actually drove past that over the weekend! There was definitely a moment of, "Wait, how is that still ...".

They have a sale on Cones?

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Obviously, this is a cost cutting measure. Cones storage is expensive!

We use the same technique around here, but it's not as efficient since the municipality trained its employees to start roadworks whenever they see a cone. This might have been a mistake, in retrospect.

mrondeau on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    maybe there was rain in the forecast and they all needed a good wash.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    It’s strange, weed will be legal in less than 24 hours, and aside from a few bylaw discussions, it’s going by with barely a sound, in my area.