Options

Trump Admin Immigration Policy Thread - DACA, ICE, etc

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Henroid wrote: »
    This is from a month ago but it's just now coming to the attention of my circles. From the official ICE Twitter account. Look at the asshole's tattoos closely. This is not fiction, this is not parody.

Edit - I know we usually quote tweet text as a courtesy but it's not the relevant part of this tweet, it's the image therein.

Fortunately, a LOT of people are calling out that "lovely" Iron Cross tattoo on his elbow.

Reason #35896 why ICE needs to be nuked from orbit.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    They are blocking legal points of entry and ignoring people when they try to lawfully and properly request asylum instead of processing the requests.

Instead they wait them out and arrest any that try to cross anywhere else around there instead, seeking asylum.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Df7QiadX0AAhsp4.jpg

Nielsen is flat out lying.

To be clear, asylum seekers don’t cross the border, right? They present themselves at the border and ask to come in?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    This interview happened a month ago so the horrific details about ICE's handling of children hadn't broken just yet, but I'm urging folks in Kamala Harris' state to contact her office ASAP. Supporting ICE as an institution is losing popularity rapidly and if she's supposed to be a party champion she cannot be defending them - especially now with what's known about children. Until she changes her tune I'll continue the chant, "Kamala Harris is a cop."

Video embed within via CNN MSNBC (derp) (the relevant part of this tweet being linked).

We've got to hold peoples' feet to the fire over this. This isn't some softball "well y'know" issue. If Democrats are going to make promises about remedying this they need their entire party makeup, especially front runners, to get on the right page.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Those pictures are awful...and those are the pictures they're willing to let us have. I hate to imagine conditions at the worse facilities.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    Df7QiadX0AAhsp4.jpg

Nielsen is flat out lying.

Gee, I wonder if we're going to spend the next several media cycles arguing whether caging children is even happening, when we have fucking pictures of the result.

Fucking hell.

This is going to turn on some stupid politically correct bullshit technicality where ripping a child from their accompanying parent isn't family separation because in that instant they become "unaccompanied minors" and so don't have a family to have been torn away from. Isn't it?

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    This interview happened a month ago so the horrific details about ICE's handling of children hadn't broken just yet, but I'm urging folks in Kamala Harris' state to contact her office ASAP. Supporting ICE as an institution is losing popularity rapidly and if she's supposed to be a party champion she cannot be defending them - especially now with what's known about children. Until she changes her tune I'll continue the chant, "Kamala Harris is a cop."

Video embed within via CNN MSNBC (derp) (the relevant part of this tweet being linked).

We've got to hold peoples' feet to the fire over this. This isn't some softball "well y'know" issue. If Democrats are going to make promises about remedying this they need their entire party makeup, especially front runners, to get on the right page.

As one of her constituents, I just this week made it clear to her office I want ICE dismantled. I'm going to spread this around locally so people know to let her know their thoughts too.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    CBS reporter.

"No cages."
    No see, those aren't cages, they're uhhh gated communities!

BTW I say that fully aware of the odds that some asshole in the administration or Fox saying it unironically. I will throw my monitor is they do.

Breitbart host calls them "Chain-Link Partitions"

How does it feel to be part of the so motherfucking cynical you're actually right about the modern right wing brigade?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    So the only difference is that cages have tops?

Edit: Why the heck are they using what appear to be mylar blankets? They are terrible.

Couscous on
  • Options
    "Torture means any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in or incidental to lawful sanctions."

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Edit: Why the heck are they using what appear to be mylar blankets? They are terrible.

You're answering your own question, I think.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

I'm pretty sure the newest pics showed ones that had tops.

Edit: Maybe not. Don't want to make that claim until I can find the pic.

Veagle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Is it because ICE don’t normally run concentration camps, so they don’t have a a warehouse full of fabric blankets, but do have a warehouse full of Mylar blankets for wrapping round illegal immigrants they find freezing in the desert at night?

Or is it because they don’t want their camps to be comfortable in any way?

• Options
    Michael Hayden is not exactly a liberal, but he's comparing this to the Nazis.

Laura Bush also wrote a scathing op-ed. That is basically unprecedented from a former First Lady that I can recall.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It’s a little heartening to see bipartisan opposition to this. There are water carriers but it’s good to know that there is in fact a line that when crossed will cause Republicans to balk.

Now if we could just get some action instead of op-eds.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    The stupid thing is that the US is not being overwhelmed by a refugee crisis on the scale of anything near Europe because of the Syrian Civil War, but we are making one ourselves because we have leaders who get a rush of dopamine because punishment for punishment’s sake gives them an authority boner

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    https://www.axios.com/republican-party-gop-donald-trump-border-policy-family-separation-kids-97750c5f-b767-4924-a940-452269729c4e.html
    Trump is expected to be personally confronted on the issue when he is the guest for a special meeting of House Republicans tomorrow evening.

Multiple sources in close touch with the White House believe this issue is providing images that fuel the left's worst views of the administration.

But sources say Trump views the issue as leverage, and will try to get funding for a border wall or other concessions for a rollback of the policy.
    So the current stances he and his administration have are that this is being forced on him by Democratic laws, the policy is good, and it isn't a policy.

How does he even pretend to think it is forced on him if he also thinks it is leverage?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    “If only there was a way to get this thing passed without ripping children from their mothers’ arms.

Buuuut we gotta!”

Snidely Whiplash would tell these people they’re being a little too obnoxiously villainous.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    https://www.axios.com/republican-party-gop-donald-trump-border-policy-family-separation-kids-97750c5f-b767-4924-a940-452269729c4e.html
    Trump is expected to be personally confronted on the issue when he is the guest for a special meeting of House Republicans tomorrow evening.

Multiple sources in close touch with the White House believe this issue is providing images that fuel the left's worst views of the administration.

But sources say Trump views the issue as leverage, and will try to get funding for a border wall or other concessions for a rollback of the policy.
    So the current stances he and his administration have are that this is being forced on him by Democratic laws, the policy is good, and it isn't a policy.

How does he even pretend to think it is forced on him if he also thinks it is leverage?

Pretending to think is how he's lived his life for 70 years.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    The last attempt at immigration in congress died when Kelly decided to demand reduction of legal immigration as part of any DACA fix. Now with this added separation policy and new challenges to DACA, this legislation is live again, granting all of Trump's official want list, in "exchange" for the executive branch ending their extortion via ruining human lives. So however much misery these policies are inflicting or potential long-term political damage, it is in fact getting us closer to passing a bipartisan anti-immigration bill, and Trump's ridiculous framing has to be contributing to some of the Democratic movement here.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Fox News pointed out that they are really more like animal pens.

ThinkProgress journalist:

• Options

Keeping children in cages like farm animals is....better?

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

No.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

It’s Trump’s junior-senior advisors here workshopping some new models of lights powered by gas

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

2u8gycnk6cql.jpeg

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    I don't have the words anymore. Notice that ICE doesn't object on the grounds of inaccuracy. Just that it makes them look like the monsters that they are.

CBS is a national broadcaster with a long history of journalism.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Wow, fucking really? 'Cages' aren't inaccurate, but stop saying it because it makes us look bad?

That is some 100% free range, organic white fragility right there.

Alt observation: ICE is aptly named, as it appears to be full of snowflakes.

Zomro on
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I don't have the words anymore. Notice that ICE doesn't object on the grounds of inaccuracy. Just that it makes them look like the monsters that they are.

Dear god that means they are indeed treating them just like animals. At this point I think ICE probably needs to get disbanded. Clearly we need some kind of border security force but ICE seems to have gotten too broken to justify any more.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »

Dear god that means they are indeed treating them just like animals. At this point I think ICE probably needs to get disbanded. Clearly we need some kind of border security force but ICE seems to have gotten too broken to justify any more.

Any member of Congress not calling for ICE to be abolished and its employees tried for crimes against humanity doesn't belong in office.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

We have one already! Customs and Border Patrol.

ICE is just an excuse to give skinheads badges so they can ethnically cleanse America.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    “Nobody’s treating people like animals! Because immigrants aren’t people.”

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Did the Border Patrol think this video would make them look good?

CBS News Correspondent

Couscous on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I see people in the twitter thread claiming the tattoo is a Fireman Cross because even when faced with incontrovertible evidence they still deny the truth.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    And of course Jeff "Trump is destroying my party I guess I should quit" Flake has decided to take a rather....unusual tactic

He says he wants "answers" because the media is saying one thing and Nielson is saying something else.

I'm so sick of elected officials acting like they have no power or ability to do anything when it suits them.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

CBS News Correspondent

Don't forget: this is a punitive deterrent, not a grim necessity. They're trying to thread a needle here between making it look bad but not so bad it gets shut down.

The lack of any sounds of joy echoing across that concrete cavern is telling enough.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

CBS News Correspondent

That is the prettied up best possible face they could put on it? Yup we are keeping kids in kennels.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018

Any member of Congress not calling for ICE to be abolished and its employees tried for crimes against humanity doesn't belong in office.

Just called my rep and both Senators. Stressed:
    1. Concentration camps need to be shut down
    2. ICE needs to be shut down
    3. Members of hate groups should be barred from Federal law enforcement jobs.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    THOSE ARE LOCKED FUCKING CELLS

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

This makes the increasing calls to show the girls camps all the more potent, IMO.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Oh. Good. Sexually abusing the minors ripped from their parents was the next step in us looking like the monsters we are to the world stage.

Fuck I just watched the videos of kids in cages and I am done. I am going to put it on loop in my office if people try and both sides me on this shit.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
This discussion has been closed.