Options

[Mueller Thread] Special Counsel investigation, Russian election interference, collusion

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Some of the new info makes Comey look much worse.

Politico reporter:
    IG found that on numerous occasions, COMEY used a personal GMail account to conduct official FBI business, according to source briefed on the report.
    I guess I should have figured that.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Oh for fucks sake.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    bring the meteors

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Well the New York Times are reporting that the IG report found Comey was occasionally “insubordinate “ but that there was “no bias” in the decision to exonerate Clinton. And if they say there’s no Clinton email scandal here...

Link.

It might explain why two words quoted out of context seems to be the main thing seized on.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    So when do we get a press event where Comey lambasts himself at length for his bad judgement with respect to his emails?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I guess the lesson here is that no one uses their email properly, we should just throw it into the sea

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    the only proper use of email is to not use it

• Options
    edited June 2018
    The report on is up.

https://www.justice.gov/file/1071991/download
    We identified numerous instances in which Comey used a personal email account to conduct unclassified FBI business. We found that, given the absence of exigent circumstances and the frequency with which the use of personal email occurred, Comey’s use of a personal email account for unclassified FBI business to be inconsistent with Department policy.

We found that Strzok used his personal email accounts for official government business on several occasions, including forwarding an email from his FBI account to his personal email account about the proposed search warrant the Midyear team was seeking on the Weiner laptop. This email included a draft of the search warrant affidavit, which contained information from the Weiner investigation that appears to have been under seal at the time in the Southern District of New York and information obtained pursuant to a grand jury subpoena issued in the Eastern District of Virginia in the Midyear investigation. We refer to the FBI the issue of whether Strzok’s use of personal email accounts violated FBI and Department policies.

Finally, when questioned, Page also told us she used personal email for work-related matters at times. She stated that she and Strzok sometimes used these forums for work-related discussions due to the technical limitations of FBI-issued phones. Page left the FBI on May 4, 2018.
    Did anyone not use personal email accounts for work related business?

Couscous on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    It's almost like all these kinda old people suck at computers

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    It's almost like all these kinda old people suck at computers

It's almost like the entire investigation was not about improper email use at all, but just a pretext for keeping Hillary Clinton from the presidency.

sig.gif
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The only time I can think of using personal email for work related stuff is travel itineraries. Solely because once you're at the airport and you don't have a hard copy you can't exactly hop on to your work terminal.

This is baffling.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    The only time I can think of using personal email for work related stuff is travel itineraries. Solely because once you're at the airport and you don't have a hard copy you can't exactly hop on to your work terminal.

This is baffling.

... and for times when you need to hop on a meeting when away from your desk and without your laptop, but they really need you to hop on this call right now and here we'll just forward you the file to review.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    The report isn't saying no one is at fault, it's saying Comey is at fault for mishandling the investigation via breaking protocol multiple times but that it did not find that his actions were specifically politically motivated or politically biased. He did dumb shit, but he didn't do dumb shit to specifically hurt Clinton as a candidate.

And that's not a new text. We've seen that text before. A year ago.

And it remains bullshit.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I expect context will once again completely erode any potential violations of professionalism from these texts. My guess is that ‘We’ explicitly has nothing to do with the FBI, but a broader oppositional sentiment.

Here's my prediction

"I believe Trump is a danger to Democracy here in the USA"
    "Your right. I'm really frightened of what his Presidency might mean"
    "It's our responsibility as citizens to encourage our friends and neighbors to vote for Hillary"
    "I agree, if we do that then we'll stop Trump becoming President"
    "We have a responsibility for fairness to the bureau too."
    "Indeed, if we ever feel that our views influenced our work there, we would need to quit immediately"

Coming up at 8! FBI CONSPIRACY to destroy the PREZ!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    In context it’s unclear whether they mean them personally or, like, the voters

Ie it’s fucking nothing

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Quid wrote: »

This is baffling.

I work for one of Europe's biggest broadcasters, I am unable to read my work email on any non-work computer or phone, so I forward shit to my gmail to read at home all the time.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    With everything that broke today I forgot that tomorrow is Friday. Specifically, I forgot it’s the day the judge hears the case to throw Manafort back in jail for witness tampering.

What time will that take place?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Trump Jr who knows stupid, says it would be dumb for his father to sit with Mueller.

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/392256-trump-jr-it-would-be-stupid-for-trump-to-sit-with-mueller

This was missed in the news splosion today, but yeah

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2018

CNN is a news network

So it turns out Sessions was responsible for recommending Comey's firing? Did he write the memo? Did he order Rosenstein to write the memo over his objections? Who knows
    Sessions said in an interview released Thursday that he was the one who made the decision to recommend to Trump that he fire Comey, not Rosenstein -- and that therefore Rosenstein isn't disqualified from his role in the Russia investigation.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Isn't that the AG admitting to obstruction?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    That tweet is worded very poorly.

That said, why would Sessions just out and say that?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I might be dense but that seems like cover for Rosenstein

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Giuliani is saying that Sessions and Rosenstein have one day to "redeem" themselves. Mueller should suspend tomorrow. Strzok needs to be thrown in jail. If we assume he speaks for the president, hold on to your butts tomorrow.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Sessions probably expects to keep his job and face no other consequences if Trump ends up going down. He's probably right.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Isn't that the AG admitting to obstruction?

Yes. It is. So long as firing Comey is obstruction.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Why does Strzok need to be thrown in jail?

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Giuliani is saying that Sessions and Rosenstein have one day to "redeem" themselves. Mueller should suspend tomorrow. Strzok needs to be thrown in jail. If we assume he speaks for the president, hold on to your butts tomorrow.
    On the one hand, Giuliani regularly spouts nonsense. On the other hand, Trump regularly makes nonsensical decisions based on nonsense and Manafort will probably go to jail soon and Cohen is likely to flip.

Video of that from Talking Points Memo editor:

Soon, all forum threads will converge.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Because there was the WaPo headline before quoting a text saying they were going to Stop Trump or whatever.

That was Strzok, right?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Sessions probably expects to keep his job and face no other consequences if Trump ends up going down. He's probably right.

Yup.

Trump has basically been a completely belligerent asshole to Sessions from the day he recused himself. I doubt there's any love lost between them anymore.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Given that there is no evidence Strzok did anything to stop Trump beyond one text message that didn't suggest any concrete actions and Strzok did a bunch of things that hurt Clinton during the campaign , I don't see how that is grounds for arresting a person.

Edit: Meanwhile, a lot of the report suggests the NY office was leaking a ton and was extremely pro-Trump.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Oh it isn't, really.

But we're a bit outside of the normal operating parameters of the government.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    On a scale of "No news" to "Floôòrgrbunkflyps whãllah bleëhertil", how bleëhertil will tomorrow be?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Why does Strzok need to be thrown in jail?

Because he is the Enemy.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    On a scale of "No news" to "Floôòrgrbunkflyps whãllah bleëhertil", how bleëhertil will tomorrow be?

3/5th Floôòrg

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    At some point the media needs to do their actual fucking important job and stop having these Trump surrogate fuckwads on TV

Giuliani is basically equivalent to Trump at this point with his statements.

e: Oh he was on Fox, of course they'd love to keep having him.

If we make it out of this stupid watergate we're gonna need to figure out some real policy responses to the fucking Fox problem

Oghulk on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    On the one hand, Giuliani regularly spouts nonsense. On the other hand, Trump regularly makes nonsensical decisions based on nonsense and Manafort will probably go to jail soon and Cohen is likely to flip.

Video of that from Talking Points Memo editor:

Soon, all forum threads will converge.

I know he's just a guy on TV saying things, and therefor all of this is his opinion and his thoughts, but he's an attorney for the President of the United States. How are we not supposed to take this as things that Trump is saying and thinking?

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Absalon wrote: »

Prubebly bét Dôoj ig flugën du üppe tuòben!
    220px-The_Swedish_Chef.jpg

halkun on
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Trump appears to have admitted in a recent interview that he lied:
    Buzzfeed News reporter:
    “It's irrelevant. It's a statement to The New York Times." The phony, failing, New York Times. That's not a statement to a high tribunal of judges. That's a statement to the” Times.
    The argument is now that it can't be obstruction if he is just lying to the press in an attempt to mislead everybody.

He also is now at "Manafort had nothing to do with my campaign." Poor Manafort, no longer even a coffee boy.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Well, it's not a crime to lie to the press.

This discussion has been closed.