As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon] Sword and Shield: Out now. Mark your spoilers!

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    No more fish.

Every fish pokemon is bad.

Except Magikarp.

This is an extremely poor take. Just among my favorites are Lanturn, Alomomola, Relicanth, Lumineon, and Wishiwashi. And many of the others are still very good--hell, I even like Basculin. Fish b good

I walked away before finishing this post and the fact that Bagel and I only overlapped twice on our lists show how many good fishes there are!

Honestly I just plumb missed Relicanth somehow. He's cool. I don't have strong feelings about Lumineon one way or the other. Which I know is kind of a lot of people's complaints about him, but, I dunno, tropical fish are cool, I don't mind some tropical fish. I think they should make a bunch of visual variants to him--that'd help people appreciate him maybe.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    No more fish.

Except Magikarp.

This is an extremely poor take. Just among my favorites are Lanturn, Alomomola, Relicanth, Lumineon, and Wishiwashi. And many of the others are still very good--hell, I even like Basculin. Fish b good

I walked away before finishing this post and the fact that Bagel and I only overlapped twice on our lists show how many good fishes there are!

Honestly I just plumb missed Relicanth somehow. He's cool. I don't have strong feelings about Lumineon one way or the other. Which I know is kind of a lot of people's complaints about him, but, I dunno, tropical fish are cool, I don't mind some tropical fish. I think they should make a bunch of visual variants to him--that'd help people appreciate him maybe.

Aye, and a bunch of the ones you listed I just didn't think of as fish at a quick glance even though most of them are. Milotic, Sharpedo, the seahorses, etc.

edit: Huntail & Gorebyss are cool designs, but just get really wrecked at the intersection of hard to get and also bad.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    They haven't made an eel-esque Pokemon I like yet. They're all close in different ways but just miss the mark enough that I'm not interested.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I'm super on board for Eelektross, but it's also not a water type so it doesn't quite fill the void.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    No more fish.

Except Magikarp.

The entire Horsea line, Staryu/Starmie, Remoraid, Feebas/Milotic, Corphish (yeah yeah it's a crab but it's got "phish" in the name), Wishiwashi, Chinchou/Lantern, Carvanha/Sharpedo, Qwilfish, Whiscash, Skrelp, and Dragalgae are all cool in my book

- Fish-shaped pokemon. Horsea line is good
    - Same with Staryu line.
    - Remoraid evolves into the much better Octillery.
    - Corphish s a lobster. Still doesn't count.
    - wishiwashi is bad. Sorry.
    - chinchou and lanturn are good and are fish... Shaped...

Damn foiled again!

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    I'm super on board for Eelektross, but it's also not a water type so it doesn't quite fill the void.

I want to like him, there's just something holding it back for me, not even entirely sure what.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I mean if no one else is going to

250px-119Seaking.png

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I don't have strong feelings about Seaking but even among the first generation he was one of the least interesting water types to me. He's not bad, he's just not exciting.

I do however have a strong appreciation for the fact that Goldeen learns Peck at an early age, as a Fuck You to all the grass types

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    That's honestly what I thought I thought about most of the fish shaped pokemon with some extra dislike for the hard to catch ones (lookin at you, Feebas) but I completely forgot about Chinchou and Lanturn.

Sorry about that.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    No more fish.

Except Magikarp.

The entire Horsea line, Staryu/Starmie, Remoraid, Feebas/Milotic, Corphish (yeah yeah it's a crab but it's got "phish" in the name), Wishiwashi, Chinchou/Lantern, Carvanha/Sharpedo, Qwilfish, Whiscash, Skrelp, and Dragalgae are all cool in my book

- Fish-shaped pokemon. Horsea line is good
    - Same with Staryu line.
    - Remoraid evolves into the much better Octillery.
    - Corphish s a lobster. Still doesn't count.
    - wishiwashi is bad. Sorry.
    - chinchou and lanturn are good and are fish... Shaped...

Damn foiled again!

Listen my book, my rules. Yeah Octillery is cool but it's an octopus so it's not gonna be on my list of Fish Pokemon What Are Good, but Remoraid remains a fish what is good. Lower evos don't cease to exist because they have evolutions, that's... well okay that's usually how evolution actually works, but not in Pokemon, baby!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I genuinely love Milotic, it's got everything I want in a water type. Great design, amazing stat spread, solid movepool. Absolute top tier Water type.

• Options
    jfc I just looked up Lumineon out of curiosity and three of its base stats are 69

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bILE5BEyhdo

The movie continues to look good.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I dunno, Wyborn, I feel like I've seen this one before

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Give

Us

A

Dolphin

Pokemon

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I wasnt expecting that last Pokemon.

Gonna have to preorder those movie tcg sets I guess

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    aw dangit

this movie is winning me over

• Options
    Give

Us

A

Dolphin

Pokemon

Swordfish

• Options
    I've got a fuckin' LIST of animals I wanna see in Pokemon.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Make the fire starter be a rabbit who gets flaming ears and make it be Fire/Ground.

Anything but Fire/Fighting or Dark, go in a radically different direction like Delphox.

• Options
    Rhino ,Swordfish, Raptor, Beagle, Wolf, Komodo dragon, Stegosaurus , Pegasus, Manticore.

To name a few

• Options
    Rhyhorn was kind of a rhino, and Lycanrock was a wolf/werewolf.

Was Kommo-o a komodo?

• Options
    Rhyhorn was kind of a rhino, and Lycanrock was a wolf/werewolf.

Was Kommo-o a komodo?

I want more. MORE

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Make the fire starter be a rabbit who gets flaming ears and make it be Fire/...

what's that you say? another fire/fighting starter? you got it chief!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Nintendo pulls Renegade at every Fire starter type option.

Paragon would be a new type combination, neutral would be pure Fire.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Hey now Incineroar and delphox were dark and psychic. Hell gen 7s trio had 3 fun secondary types. I think theyre aware that people want starters to have fun unique typings

• Options
    edited February 2019
    They should go with a reverse triangle for the secondary types.

Fire/Ghost, Grass/Dark, Water/Fighting

Or I honestly wouldn't mind having a new type triangle of something like Fighting, Fairy, and Steel.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Nintendo pulls Renegade at every Fire starter type option.

Paragon would be a new type combination, neutral would be pure Fire.

That might be kind of fun, to actually have some decisions in a Pokemon game like the Paragon/Renegade thing from Mass Effect, and your P/R rating effects how the pokemon evolve.
    Sure, it's not going to happen because that would involve change to the Pokemon formula (to say nothing of the substantial additions to the pokemon art lineup reflecting a variety of P/R evolutions), but still might be kind of fun.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    How about Starters that evolve into gaining their weakness? So you end up with Fire/Water, Water/Grass, and Grass/Fire.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Fun fact, when I was a small lad I drew my own Pokémon called “crabtankerous” that was very angry and it was fire/water.

Thank you for you time.

• Options
    I dont mind abandoning the triangle by stage 2 at that point you should know the basics.

Gimme stuff like Grass/electric ,Fire/Ghost, and Water psychic

• Options
    They should go with a reverse triangle for the secondary types.

Fire/Ghost, Grass/Dark, Water/Fighting

Or I honestly wouldn't mind having a new type triangle of something like Fighting, Fairy, and Steel.

Grass -> Fire -> Water will probably always be the starting triangle and it should be imo. It's one of only three perfect triangles (each type is either weak or resistant to the other two) and of the three options, it's both the most intuitive for new players and the most practical for early-game. Steel is a terrible starter type because it has so many resists (including most of the traditional early-game stuff like Normal type and the Poison status effect). It's unbalanced.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    That said I do think that the two most interesting things to do with starter evolutions is a reverse triangle (so every starter has a STAB move against each of the others) or a neutralizing one.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I've got a fuckin' LIST of animals I wanna see in Pokemon.

Well...

Post them!

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    more goats
    antelope
    gazelle
    impala
    another zebra
    moose

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    honestly i'm here for the weird shit

gimme a pokemon that's just like, a wifi router. electric psychic maybe it has ethernet cables coming out of it like a jellyfish

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    let's get some cryptid pokemon

mothman, tsuchinoko, various loch ness monster knockoffs

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    let's get some cryptid pokemon

mothman, tsuchinoko, various loch ness monster knockoffs

Dunsparce is very upset that you forgot him.

xDrNhsa.png

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
This discussion has been closed.