As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox/XBL] Crackdown 3 is out! And not delayed again!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Fast question, the kind that won't matter if not answered quickly.

Anyone have an HDR-compatible UHD television they really like for their Xbox One X? Some of these TV prices are absurdly low, and seeing how the next trip I take overseas will happen when I'm laid off, or dead, I thought I might as well browse. I'd rather not risk burn-in with OLEDs (?), but the Samsung QLED are nice.
    anoffday wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Black Friday sales have begun (late, I'm told). You can grab a 1 TB Xbox One S* with Minecraft for $200 US.

Other deals have begun trickling in, including $1 for one month of Xbox Live, and discounts on Xbox One X consoles.

*Kind of redundant, as the S the only "base" model still being made, but whatever.

Any idea why this won't work for me? I see it on my xbox and on the site, but both places do nothing when I enter my password. I click join, enter password, spinning circle, and then back to the same join page.

Strange, are you still running into that issue? I think it's good until the end of December (the $1 thing).

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Yeah, just tried. It seems to have worked this time.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Yeah, just tried. It seems to have worked this time.

Cool. The $1 for one month of XBL Gold is, sadly, only for people who don't have the service. Makes sense. For $2, you get Gold and Gamepass for a month.

• Options
    Here's the Black Friday deals from Microsoft proper, and here are just the Xbox store games.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Finished off Call of Duty Classic to empty my 360 backlog and decided I would give Battlefield 1 a try since I was still in the mood to uh shoot Germans I guess.

That was just a tiny graphical leap there. Also it finally got my xbonks fan to spin up. Not vacuum cleaner territory, but a “huh, ok, so this system does make noise sometimes”

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Bought Valkyria Chronicles 4 for 30 bucks with the digital store sale, I like it, reminds me of front mission and it has that Sega RPG feel I haven’t come across since Skies of Arcadia (I miss that game so much). Never played the other games in the series but seems contained enough.

It’s also X enhanced which basically makes it hella smooth which is classy

• Options
    Played Final Fantasy XIII for the first time in 6 years, almost to the day, to see how BC looked on Xbox One X. I can see why a lot of people ultimately disliked the game, but I can also see why everyone was playing it when it came out. And I like the actual gameplay more than XII at least, whatever praise that is.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I've spent a hilarious amount of money on these boxes in one game that quite literally offer any item in the game's database because of the amusing cosmetic opportunity.

Other than that, I bought games the week before during the preview sale and I don't think there's anything else left for me to get. Kind of wish there was a sci-fantasy Dragon's Dogma, as I've been on the fence for that game.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I picked up an Xbox one S in the black Friday sale. What are the good Xbox one exclusives?

Besides halo 5 obvs

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Cuphead
    Sunset Overdrive

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Karl wrote: »
    I picked up an Xbox one S in the black Friday sale. What are the good Xbox one exclusives?

Besides halo 5 obvs

First, get a month of Gamepass for $1, and try stuff like Sea of Thieves, 2016's Hitman, Halo Wars, Dead Rising 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Battlegrounds, Sunset Overdrive etc. All good games, but not for everyone potentially. You might not even have to pay, since they give you 14 days for free anyway.

Second, depends on what you like.

Do you like old Halo singleplayer (or multiplayer)? Master Chief Collection.

Do you like any kind of racing game? Forza Horizon 4 or Forza Motorsport 7. Pretty much the best racing games on any console in the last couple of years.

Do you like good third-person shooters? Gears of War 4--and if you like classic Remedy games, Quantum Break.

Do you like classic 2D fighting games? Killer Instinct 2 (the season packs are basically the character rosters, since the basic game is free).

These are just the exclusives that come to mind, and many of these are on Gamepass, but excluding new releases, Gamepass is mostly multiplatform games (including many of which you'd be familiar with already I imagine). Hopefully this helps. Definitely take advantage of Gamepass though, so long as your bandwidth can afford it

Synthesis on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    That is the best answer. Spend a buck and get access to a ton of games.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Not an exclusive but if you don’t own rdr on at least one of your platforms you are lesser for it.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    There are those of us that felt the first RDR was merely a fiercely okay game.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »

See !? This kind of moral bankruptcy is what will cause the fall of man.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    If you have eyeballs you owe it to yourself to play through the opening to Ori and the Blind Forest at the very least

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

I implore you, think about this.

• Options

I implore you, think about this.

“Implore me !? You implore me!? You always were one for fancy words John!”

I like Dutch’s insist line even more in rdr 2.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    If you have eyeballs you owe it to yourself to play through the opening to Ori and the Blind Forest at the very least

Beat me to it.

I think Synthesis hit most of my other big choices -- Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instinct, Forza Horizon 3 & 4... Super Lucky's Tale is a pleasant little platformer. Halo: Spartan Assault is on 360 and such, but I like that one. And Rare Replay is a good get. ReCore's not bad, as I recall, but I need to play more of it.

It's funny -- between Xbox One and PS4, people ask about exclusives on the former. But for me, it's my main machine; if a game is on both platforms, I prefer to go for the Xbox One version, and mainly go to PS4 for exclusives -- basically, the opposite of what most people seem to do.

(God, I would spend SO MUCH less time on PS4 if Yakuza weren't so snugly set there.)

And yeah, Game Pass seems like the best way to try games, and it still gives a discount if you decide to buy, right?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

That's what ever Rockstar-developed game ends up for me, strangely enough.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

That's what ever Rockstar-developed game ends up for me, strangely enough.

Nothing wrong with that. I myself probably fall into the category of someone who really liked (whatever). But then I find much pleasure/fun in wandering around in the game world as if it were a living place rather than just rush from one mission trigger to the next.

• Options
    Any hidden gem deals you guys recommend before this sale is over? I'm thinking about the return to arkham pack, but I already have them both on 360, but then again they aren't BC and my 360 is currently in my son's room as a hulu/netflix machine.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Any hidden gem deals you guys recommend before this sale is over? I'm thinking about the return to arkham pack, but I already have them both on 360, but then again they aren't BC and my 360 is currently in my son's room as a hulu/netflix machine.

Maybe it wasn't the best of deals...but I picked up NieR: Automata - Become As Gods Edition. Mostly, I wanted to pick it up to have something to showcase on the ol' XboneX.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Maybe it wasn't the best of deals...but I picked up NieR: Automata - Become As Gods Edition. Mostly, I wanted to pick it up to have something to showcase on the ol' XboneX.

Interesting reasoning. Because honestly, it doesn't even run all that well on Xbox One X for what is...not all that visually impressive a game. Probably better than any other console though.

I mean, I bought it because I think it's the best game Platinum has made thusfar. So not a bad choice.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Interesting reasoning. Because honestly, it doesn't even run all that well on Xbox One X for what is...not all that visually impressive a game. Probably better than any other console though.

I mean, I bought it because I think it's the best game Platinum has made thusfar. So not a bad choice.

I have to say: it also runs better on XboneX than on my PC (which is funny since my PC is....fairly beefy). Sure, there are some frame drops, but nowhere near what happens on my PC (and that's not to mention the 30fps limit on cutscenes...which is a limitation not present on the XboneX version).

EDIT - and on PC, I'm only running the game at 1080p. I'm kinda liking how the game is looking in 4K.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Yeah, the fact that the game is still not well optimized after so long on PC is kind of disappointing. Especially considering, while it's an amazing game with a phenomenal soundtrack, visually it's...just good. Lots of simplistic repeating buildings with lots of invisible walls.

I think DF got it working an "almost solid" 60 FPS at 2160p, with graphical features at maximum...all it took was a PC with a, then, $800 video card and a $200 to $300 CPU. A $500 Xbox One X seems like a steal by comparison.

• Options
    Yeah, the fact that the game is still not well optimized after so long on PC is kind of disappointing. Especially considering, while it's an amazing game with a phenomenal soundtrack, visually it's...just good. Lots of simplistic repeating buildings with lots of invisible walls.

I think DF got it working an "almost solid" 60 FPS at 2160p, with graphical features at maximum...all it took was a PC with a, then, $800 video card and a $200 to $300 CPU. A $500 Xbox One X seems like a steal by comparison.

Before I posted my reply above, I wanted to verify with DF...so I watched their video on it. Apparently it was a bunch of settings on medium and running a lighting mod pack...and it still was "almost solid" 60fps@2160p.

Anyways, $33.50 for the game + DLC that I can play on my couch at settings that look better than on my (currently semi-) enthusiast gaming PC...I'm happy with that.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

During the last generation of consoles, I was PC for anything that wasn't only on consoles by 2008; it was just easy and cheap to put together a PC that would play anything and look way better doing it.

This generation, I've barely played anything on PC. Even the base consoles are good enough and less hassle, and the Pro consoles have satisfied the chasing-the-dragon itch that used to make me lust over new GPUs.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Playing through Mummy Demastered for the first time in forever I’m struck by how absurdly back-loaded the exploration is.

You get a ceiling grab, a run, C4, and a high jump, before the second-to-last boss, but they don’t really open things up a whole ton. Immediately after the Scarab though you get water mobility and the air dash and those give you access to well over 50% of the items.

Are other Metroids like this? It always felt like I could get basically everything before facing half the bosses if I was committed enough.

I still like this game a lot.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I haven't played the Mummy but other games like it tend to have a point where you have the right combination of upgrades that let you backtrack and go get more power ups. You can generally clear most games like this with only 40-60% completion.

It was remastered for Xbox One, but if you want another Metroid-Vania style game. I'd recommend Shadow Complex. That was one of my favorites in recent years. Well....that and those Aria Castlevania games that was on the DS.

• Options
    Dug into the stack to start playing Rebel Galaxy, and it's like the ship exploration portion of STO except it's locked onto a single plane. But I like it so far.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Dug into the stack to start playing Rebel Galaxy, and it's like the ship exploration portion of STO except it's locked onto a single plane. But I like it so far.

Been interested in this game for a while but wasn’t sure about it (and not really playing much in PC for a while). Didn’t even realize it was on Xbox.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    LostNinja wrote: »

Been interested in this game for a while but wasn’t sure about it (and not really playing much in PC for a while). Didn’t even realize it was on Xbox.

Yeah, it got released a few years ago, I want to say.

It really captures the sense of space being a massive void well, even with the spatial limitation. Combat isn't the best, but generally enjoyable. Only put in a few hours so far and I haven't really fully explored the first sector or advanced the plot. Lots of Open-World-Algorithm type missions to be had, so if you're not into those it might not work for you.

Of course it has that BWOW soundtrack too.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Oh god, they've made the entire MGS HD collection backwards compatible

YAAASSS

• Options
    Is there a way to mass download captures in the xbox app? as it is I have to wait for it to pull the video preview up, then click download and it's annoying and slow.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    so Decembers GwG have been announced and... anyone notice anything different?

1 360 title and an oXbox game! definitely a change of pace there, though disappointing that the oXbox title is taking the place of a 360 game and not being added as an extra. it is Christmas after all.

so we have:
    • Qube 2
    • Never Alone
    • Dragon Age 2
    • Mercenaries

actually a pretty decent line up i think.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I wouldn't count on an additional full Xbox game, even an old Xbox game, as a December holiday bonus on Games with Gold :wink: Especially since, not being an Xbox 360 game, it's not a "permanent gift".

Perhaps too generous for Xbox Live's blood, though we might see something given closer to the month's close.

Amazon was selling 6 months Xbox Live Gold, as a digital code, for $20 earlier this morning--I thought of linking it, but forgot, and now it's back up to $40. :(

Synthesis on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Mercenaries is the secret best game for oXbox so i'm super ok with this

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    It's a very good one, no doubts there. I still have my physical copy and beat it once through Xbox 360 BC.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    nice, I almost grabbed Qube 2 during the sale last week