As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] is like normal reality, but butter

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Synthesis wrote: »
    It's entirely possible to get corrective eye surgery and still need reading glasses.

At least when I had mine done around 8 years ago it wasn't just a possibility, it was an expectation. Not sure if surgery has changed or if it even can change to make a difference but the procedure to correct distance vision does not address the issue that affects people's near vision as they age. The surgeon literally said, "You'll need reading glasses when you're older, there's no way around that."

Yeah, that hasn't changed. Inability to focus on far-away objects is due to buggered up lenses in your eyeballs, so you can shape the cornea to correct for that. Focusing on closer objects is a function of (primarily) lens flexibility - you can't fix that unless you replace the lenses, which is a lot more icky and invasive. Still a common procedure for removing cataracts, though.

That said - if you're under 40 you can get laser and see far and near no problem. Once your lenses get stiff with age you'll be stuck with reading glasses, just like everyone else. But since HMDs are built with lenses that focus to infinity, that's no issue :)

Also, regarding 'stars at night' from light sources, this is a problem relating to older laser tech and/or really bad prescriptions. Basically it's caused by your pupils dilating at night to let in more light, and if the corrected surface of your cornea isn't big enough, the outer ring of light is not corrected while the inner circle is, so you get weird aberrations. Older laser tech couldn't etch the cornea in thinner sections, restricting it to the middle of the eye only. Stronger prescriptions require deeper etching, so you can run out of room on the cornea surface that way too.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It's entirely possible to get corrective eye surgery and still need reading glasses.

At least when I had mine done around 8 years ago it wasn't just a possibility, it was an expectation. Not sure if surgery has changed or if it even can change to make a difference but the procedure to correct distance vision does not address the issue that affects people's near vision as they age. The surgeon literally said, "You'll need reading glasses when you're older, there's no way around that."

It really isn't unusual. The last time I seriously considered corrective surgery, I was still on a family insurance plan (what a shock). But I was "young enough" that some consideration was given to further changes in my eyes over time, and that very simply means, "Your vision might get worse with time, and you'll be wearing glasses again like when you started out (around age 6)." Or you could get the procedure again, which sounded worse.

And that was even before considering late-life reading glasses. It was purely because my eyes might simply elongate enough anyone to undermine the surgery. Oh well. If I was ever going to get corrective eye surgery, I seriously doubt I could justify the cost in the United States even if I had optical insurance, which I don't.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Yeah I would say get it if you think it will generally improve your life, probably not just for videogames alone. I had my surgery right before going to the grand canyon -- between that and walking around in amazement for 2 weeks that "holy shit I can just see everything" it was the best $2500 I've ever spent.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Yeah I would say get it if you think it will generally improve your life, probably not just for videogames alone. I had my surgery right before going to the grand canyon -- between that and walking around in amazement for 2 weeks that "holy shit I can just see everything" it was the best $2500 I've ever spent.

Yeah, anyone who can afford it and doesn't have health risks absolutely should. Probably the single best investment I've made in terms of quality of life. That said, do not go with cheap LASIK! Your peepers are important.

For clarity on the QoL bit, I went from blind past about a foot from my face to 20/20. If your prescription isn't as bad (-6.5) then I guess it wouldn't be such a mind-blower.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    It's come up in the thread before so I think I've made this comparison in the past but contact lenses to LASIK was as big of a life changer for me as glasses to contact lenses, which was huge.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Apogee wrote: »
    For clarity on the QoL bit, I went from blind past about a foot from my face to 20/20. If your prescription isn't as bad (-6.5) then I guess it wouldn't be such a mind-blower.

Yeah, I have the advantage that without glasses on (prescription is -2) then sure, I can't legally drive or read writing far off or that sort of thing, but I can still get a lot of things done okay.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Contacts were enough of a hassle that they were a substantial reduction in my quality of life. I ended up giving them up completely and went entirely into glasses, and haven't bothered since. Though around that time my astigmatism grew severe enough that contacts were limited compared to the glasses of the time.

Definitely a step even, or backwards. :(

Synthesis on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Still young enough to wait for science to give me cybernetic eyes transplants in 20 years time

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Still young enough to wait for science to give me cybernetic eyes transplants in 20 years time
    Ghost_in_the_Shell_Stand_Alone_Complex_Batou.png
    :question:

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    That is the correct answer, Chiyo's dog.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    Peas wrote: »
    Ghost_in_the_Shell_Stand_Alone_Complex_Batou.png
    :question:

Do you want to get your eyes hacked? Because that's how you get your eyes hacked.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    That is the correct answer, Chiyo's dog.

Be respectful! Tadakichi-san is a man of character.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Finally got around to trying the Expert+ Beat Saber tracks. I've played shed load of custom tracks and can generally finish most with an A... These are just on another level. I can barely start some! I'm not even sure my controllers track this quick!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Finally got around to trying the Expert+ Beat Saber tracks. I've played shed load of custom tracks and can generally finish most with an A... These are just on another level. I can barely start some! I'm not even sure my controllers track this quick!

I have SS on every single default song's Expert, and SS on many of BennyDaBeast's Expert+ custom songs. I even SS'd Last Dance, which was one of his hardest.

• Options
    Oh my glob, the Vive deluxe strap is such a huge upgrade! As if the original strap were a bootleg replacement on a broken set.

But now my headset doesn't fit back into its original box. Has anyone else gotten the deluxe audio strap and figured out how to store it?

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Last time I dropped in I was bemoaning missing out on trying the PSVR.

Well I got around to it and was quite impressed so VR was on my docket.

Well got a good deal on an Oculus Rift and it's pretty awesome, just need to grow my VR library now.

Any recommended additions I should get? I did the bundle with two senors and touch controllers and after some fiddeling I have the headset working nicely. Only complaint is the heat at times.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Oh my glob, the Vive deluxe strap is such a huge upgrade! As if the original strap were a bootleg replacement on a broken set.

But now my headset doesn't fit back into its original box. Has anyone else gotten the deluxe audio strap and figured out how to store it?

I'm pretty sure I managed to fit it in the original vive box when we moved. But that was over 6 months ago, so I don't remember how I did it.

• Options

I'm pretty sure I managed to fit it in the original vive box when we moved. But that was over 6 months ago, so I don't remember how I did it.

Was that the first Vive box with the foam, or the smaller Vive box with just cardboard spacers?

I got my headset back in the cardboard box by moving out half the stuff in there and adding in the plastic mold from the deluxe audio box. Some of the junk is now in a different box, but I wasn't using the other lighthouse mounting hardware, extra earbuds, etc anyway.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I just tried this: https://www.aliendescent.com/

It was amazing, and I highly recommend anybody that has the opportunity to go check out this VR experience.

It starts with a USCM/Weyland-Yutani video briefing, followed by the crew putting arm and leg sensors on you and slapping on a headset. You are then put into a cryo-pod which physically shifts, with the whole wall doing a 180, to put you into the play area. After you are "awakened" from cryo-sleep, you get out and grab your rifle from the slot next to your pod and... well no spoilers from there. But suffice to say you are running around in a real physical space that is transformed in VR, they even simulate elevators with moving platforms.

Overall it was great, but the one downside was the graphics. It looked about on the level of the original Xbox, but it was more about the entire experience.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I've been fiddling with my Skyrim VR install and wanted to ask: can I just apply the typical INI tweaks that people recommend to Skyrim to the VR version? Is there a tweaking guide people here can recommend?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Falcon Age is going to be so cool. What I find amazing is how much detail went into the various aspects of the bird animations. Check out some of the gif animations on this page that show off the animation detail:
    http://gamasutra.com/view/news/326321/Game_Design_Deep_Dive_Creating_Falcon_Ages_feathered_companion.php

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Video of a TON of cool games coming to PSVR in 2019. Some are multi platform:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXVW4jabhoo

Rothgarr on
  • Options

Was that the first Vive box with the foam, or the smaller Vive box with just cardboard spacers?

I got my headset back in the cardboard box by moving out half the stuff in there and adding in the plastic mold from the deluxe audio box. Some of the junk is now in a different box, but I wasn't using the other lighthouse mounting hardware, extra earbuds, etc anyway.

Unfortunately, I don't remember. I don't think I removed everything? I do seem to remember using the mold from the deluxe box. Unfortunately my vive box is buried now.

• Options
    edited December 2018

Unfortunately, I don't remember. I don't think I removed everything? I do seem to remember using the mold from the deluxe box. Unfortunately my vive box is buried now.

Thanks for letting me know anyway!

I'm still figuring out the best compromise between having it ready to go all the time vs storing it safely.

I won't use it if I have to go through too many steps to set it up, but I also don't want to live atop a hill of broken hardware in a nest of wires.

templewulf on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Just saw an Oculus rift commercial for the first time . It was really cool! Had people playing games and at one point a guy is moving like a ninja in vr while a guy sits on the couch with a controller. Really showed off the immersion I think.

Question they showed some boars game thibg that reminded me of battle tech but there were airships , turrets, all kinds of things. Looked really cool but pretty niche.

Also saw what super hot looks like. Looks really cool but I have the bot game that came free with my rift aND it seemed like there were extremely similar.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Question they showed some boars game thibg that reminded me of battle tech but there were airships , turrets, all kinds of things. Looked really cool but pretty niche.

Probably Brass Tactics?

• Options
    Orogogus wrote: »

Probably Brass Tactics?

After googling it it's the one. Seems really cool and a fun idea. And it looks like an experience I'd want to play against other people.

This form of VR could be aweomsome. I'd love to play board battletech , warhammer, etc.. andn ot have to spend thousands on little things you paint. I've always loved the idea, created mechs on paper for BT as a kid, But have never once played one of these epic board games.

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Also saw what super hot looks like. Looks really cool but I have the bot game that came free with my rift aND it seemed like there were extremely similar.
    Robo Recall? They're both rad and I see the similarities, but nothing is like Super Hot. The way time moves and the way you beat levels (in some cases, die and repeat until you learn them and then execute as if prescient) is unique.

• Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Holy Cow, Jet Island is incredible. If you ever play a video game for the locomotion, you need to try this. You play as a silver surfer/spider-man mix with jetpack wrists and surf/swing/fly through a giant skate park. Ultimately you work towards fighting 4 enormous mechanical insects/bugs as bosses.

The biggest draw for me is the dizzying sense of scale. There's a huge vertical element in play. All the bosses have you climbing up and around these giant creatures and it feels so good. I don't get nausea playing, but I do experience vertigo and trigger my fear of heights. My feet literally get sweaty while playing because I'm subconsciously gripping the floor with my toes so that I don't fall. I didn't know this was possible in a video game.

And this game somehow combines rapid movement in any direction without motion sickness. I am decently adjusted to VR now, but I still get queasy in games with smooth trackpad movement/turning. No issues at all in this game. It doesn't rely on trackpad motion and I have turning disabled (with a good sized square space, I prefer to physically turn).

I've got a solid VR library, but only this and maybe Lone Echo have really produced an experience that really HAS to be in VR to work.. If you've got 20 bucks to spare, I cannot recommend it enough.

• Options
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    Robo Recall? They're both rad and I see the similarities, but nothing is like Super Hot. The way time moves and the way you beat levels (in some cases, die and repeat until you learn them and then execute as if prescient) is unique.

That's the one I was thinking of. The whole time I'm watching the Superhot portion I just kept thinking, I do exactly this and feel this way in robo recall. I know they're different games, but think they might scratch the same itch? I'msure if I played themboth I'd see the differences and maybe prefer one over the other. But with just a short video, it feels very much like robo recall, which I enjoy. Just not sure why I'd shell out more money for a more refined experience when the one I'm experiencing is just as good.

Not that I'm against buying games. I've bought lone echo, Arizona Sunshinen, and Skyrim VR> So far AS has been the first game wehre I actively think about it and want to play more. I've also come to the conclussion the zombie apocalypse is harder to survive than I thought, and most of your time is spent looking ofr your shoulder lol. But loved the game combat, and the thriller aspect it has. I wouldn't call it a horror game per se, but there are definately tense and scary moments.

• Options
    Orogogus wrote: »

Probably Brass Tactics?

I see there is a free demo of some sorts for it. I'mgoing to check it out, but if I'm interested in how it looks and seems, will the I'm guessing online only matches where I'll get crushed, discourage me from buying the game?

Seems so cool, and you don't have to smell anyone.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

That's the one I was thinking of. The whole time I'm watching the Superhot portion I just kept thinking, I do exactly this and feel this way in robo recall. I know they're different games, but think they might scratch the same itch? I'msure if I played themboth I'd see the differences and maybe prefer one over the other. But with just a short video, it feels very much like robo recall, which I enjoy. Just not sure why I'd shell out more money for a more refined experience when the one I'm experiencing is just as good.

They're not comparable. Robo Recall is a wild, arcadey, twitch-style shooter with fast paced and crazy stuff.

I don't know if it is evident from the short video you watched, but time stands still when you stand still in Superhot, so the game isn't really a shooter, more of a puzzle game, and you get as much time to figure out what you want to do as you want, as long as you hold still.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

They're not comparable. Robo Recall is a wild, arcadey, twitch-style shooter with fast paced and crazy stuff.

I don't know if it is evident from the short video you watched, but time stands still when you stand still in Superhot, so the game isn't really a shooter, more of a puzzle game, and you get as much time to figure out what you want to do as you want, as long as you hold still.

Ya they didn't really present this well then. They did make mentions of bullet time intereaction where a bullet flys over and the guy dips his back back ala matrix, but I didn't really notice any time shenanigans. As I said, it looked just like Robo Recall , but less pretty as it was nothing but polygons. I've heard it's great, so I was really underwhelmed with what they showed.

• Options
    Yeah so basically time only moves when you do. It's a very unique gameplay experience and works amazingly in VR.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Yeah so basically time only moves when you do. It's a very unique gameplay experience and works amazingly in VR.

Might have to give it a shot when I'm done with Arizona sunshine and play more robot recall. Arizona sinshore is the first game to make me think about it outside of the game. And the first one to make me think I might not survive a zombie apocalypse. I always looks so easy in movies and other games? In this I'm constantly watching over my shoulder and tripped out by the noises

• Options
    Superhot VR is still my favourite VR game; IMO it's the Portal of VR in terms of how well it's made and how all its individual parts fit together to make a unique whole.

It's also the game that resulted in my wife punching me in the face. Okay, she was punching a red dude - but my chin was in the way. Talk about force feedback.

On a different note, I finished Moss yesterday. It's a cute, lovely game, but it also feels like a proof of concept. I'm hoping that for the sequel they'll build on the ideas they had, and I think it'd be quite a good fit to add some Metroidvania-style elements.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    Superhot VR is still my favourite VR game; IMO it's the Portal of VR in terms of how well it's made and how all its individual parts fit together to make a unique whole.

It's also the game that resulted in my wife punching me in the face. Okay, she was punching a red dude - but my chin was in the way. Talk about force feedback.

On a different note, I finished Moss yesterday. It's a cute, lovely game, but it also feels like a proof of concept. I'm hoping that for the sequel they'll build on the ideas they had, and I think it'd be quite a good fit to add some Metroidvania-style elements.

Have you played Robo Recall?

I'm just wondering how different it is from that.

• Options
    Very different. Robo Recall is the '80s action movie, it is manic, loud, brash. Superhot is much more the action game as a slow-motion puzzle, added to which it feels entirely different due to its aesthetic and story. Robo Recall left me stressed and sweaty, while Superhot felt much more like entering a zen zone, with you you striving for a place where you're utterly in control of everything. You're more Neo than Snake Plissken.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    Very different. Robo Recall is the '80s action movie, it is manic, loud, brash. Superhot is much more the action game as a slow-motion puzzle, added to which it feels entirely different due to its aesthetic and story. Robo Recall left me stressed and sweaty, while Superhot felt much more like entering a zen zone, with you you striving for a place where you're utterly in control of everything. You're more Neo than Snake Plissken.

I never would have thought to describe it this way, but it's perfect

• Options
    Superhot VR is one of my all-time favorite VR games precisely because of how much I feel like Neo while playing.

Throw a bottle at a red guy to make them drop their gun, grab it out of the air, shoot another, throw the gun at a third, all while dodging bullets as they fly in? It's an incredible feeling when you pull it all off.

This discussion has been closed.