As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Kirby will save us all.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    No, she still has her Jeanne colors. It's the one that turns her outfit red and her hair white.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    In other news, Sheik's new Final Smash has been spotted: (at 1:55, if the timestamp doesn't work)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQRcFvnaJ00&feature=youtu.be&t=1m55s

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Maximum Sheikah!

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Ness' echo character would be Paula. You can't have Mike hovering around and shooting energy blasts.

It remains to be seen if they're willing to pull echo characters from other franchises anyway.

Mike didn’t have PK powers but he did have laser guns. Besides, we already know Paula won’t be a fighter since she’s in Ness’ final smash.

I’m not even the biggest Startropics fan. I’d just like to see the series get some love.

Sakurai always seems to add one oddball or obscure fighter. Melee had Game & Watch, Brawl had ROB and Wii U/3DS had Duck Hunt and WiiFit Trainer. What would Sakurai go with this time?

Gyromite guy? Mach Rider? Or maybe Mike will have his day. I hope we get something truly unexpected.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Ness' echo character would be Paula. You can't have Mike hovering around and shooting energy blasts.

It remains to be seen if they're willing to pull echo characters from other franchises anyway.

Mike didn’t have PK powers but he did have laser guns. Besides, we already know Paula won’t be a fighter since she’s in Ness’ final smash.

I’m not even the biggest Startropics fan. I’d just like to see the series get some love.

Sakurai always seems to add one oddball or obscure fighter. Melee had Game & Watch, Brawl had ROB and Wii U/3DS had Duck Hunt and WiiFit Trainer. What would Sakurai go with this time?

Gyromite guy? Mach Rider? Or maybe Mike will have his day. I hope we get something truly unexpected.

Labo Man

(She/Her)
  • Options
    eelektrik wrote: »

Labo Man

Sounds like I had one of those monkey’s paw wishes.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Labo Man

I can totally see Labo stuff showing up as an item of some sort, or the robot as an assist trophy.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Labo Man

I can totally see Labo stuff showing up as an item of some sort, or the robot as an assist trophy.

Snake should use a Labo box to sneak around in.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Darklyre wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

Labo Man

Snake should use a Labo box to sneak around in.

I can already see it now if the Labo mech shows up:
    "A weapon to surpass Metal Gear..."

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I can just see the codec now.

Colonel, this looks like a fishing rod!

RidleySaria on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Okay, so, stages in the OP:
    Peach's Castle
    Big Blue
    Tortimer Island
    Dr. Wily's Castle
    New Pork City
    Coliseum
    Great Cave Offensive
    Prism Tower
    Green Greens
    Midgar
    Kongo Falls
    Fucking Lylat Cruise
    Spirit Train
    Frigate Orpheon
    Green Hill Zone
    Wrecking Crew
    Yoshi's Island

There were some others in the other footage that should probably be added.
    Castle Siege, Hyrule Temple, Skyloft, Pokemon Stadium, Mario Galaxy, Balloon Fight, Boxing Ring, Bridge of Eldin, Distant Planet, Corneria, Wii Fit, Summit, Miiverse, Port Town, Suzaku Castle, Umbra Clock Tower, Saffron City, Subcon, Magicant, Mario Circuit, Mushroom Kingdom U, Living Room, Moray Towers, Shadow Moses, Skyworld, Town & City, Fourside, Luigi's Mansion, Rainbow Cruise, Flat Zone X, Onett, New Donk City, Pilotwings, Luigi's Mansion, Spear Pillar, Kalos Pokemon League, Mushroomy Kingdom, WarioWare, Garden of Hope...

You know, I'm just going to assume everything is coming back.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    It seems like they're trying for every stage but weren't willing to commit to that or they would have said it in the Direct. Or maybe there are just a couple exceptions.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It seems like they're trying for every stage but weren't willing to commit to that or they would have said it in the Direct. Or maybe there are just a couple exceptions.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few ones here and there don't make it -- since Miiverse is pretty much just Battlefield with background messages, there's not really a point to it without Miiverse. And some just might not have been ready to show or tease at this point. But hey, there's always DLC...

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Think we may see additional stages for returning guests? Probably not, since Sonic didn't get an extra stage in For, but it could be neat to think about. The Cathedral of Cascades could be a neat Bayonetta stage. Or perhaps a flyby stage in Paradiso.

• Options
    Personally, I'm not expecting too many new stages. I mean, we only got two announced and a stealth reveal of a third.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=gsBjEXlqGXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ81QsJqLA4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF-yNJJOUWU

Gameexplain has gone through every stage they found so far, and yea, I think that they are going to just have every stage in Smash history come back. Sakurai went bonkers.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    It's not "every stage" without Majora's Mask from Trophy Tussle 3!

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Holy shit that’s exactly what I was thinking

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    It's not "every stage" without Majora's Mask from Trophy Tussle 3!

They should add trophies to the stage creator.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I was trying to think of a good echo fighter fit for Ice Climbers, and I actually think the cartoon-y Mario Bros. from the Mario and Luigi games would work pretty well?

They have a lot of cooperation based moves from those games as well as frequent hammer use, so I think it would translate super easily.

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Eventhubs has made a good case for Dark Samus becoming a possible Echo Fighter, as Samus's eighth colour variation from Smash 4(which was a reference to Dark Samus) has changed in Ultimate.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018/jun/18/metroids-dark-samus-could-be-echo-fighter-newcomer-super-smash-bros-ultimate/

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Man, can you imagine half those stages with 8 (16) player modes, if they decide to go whole hog?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I just need to know if Wind Waker pirate ship stage is returning from Brawl.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »

This is literally the only stage i care about.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Huh. Zelda's hilda costume isn't quite a Hilda costume. The costume colors are about right, but her hair is grey instead of purple.

• Options
    Rami wrote: »

This is literally the only stage i care about.

That and Orbital Gate Assault for me, but then again I'm a fan of crazy crap.

• Options
    Evidently in Wooly World, the amiibo code for any given costume unlock is set up to allow a specific amiibo, or an amiibo from any series. Daisy in particular was set up to allow from any series despite only being in the Mario series. Also in that position is Waddle Dee.

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    With Echo Fighters being a thing and there not being that many true newcomers, how many Echo Fighters do you think we may get to expand the roster with characters whom otherwise wouldn't make it? What are some possibilities?

Dark Samus is the most obvious possibility, especially with them showing Metroid some love with Ridley being added and Metroid Prime 4 being in development. What other possibilities could be likely? Mr Sandman (Little Mac), Black Shadow (Captain Falcon), Funky Kong (Donkey Kong), Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong), Ken (Ryu), Someone else from Animal Crossing (Villager).

Mike from Star Tropics for Ness? They fight with baseball bats, yo-yos, learn psychic abilities (though Mike only does in the second game, and not to the same degree as Ness does, but you could probably substitute some of the magic items from the first game for some of the Pk moves), and fight aliens. Main thing missing is that Mike's specifically mentioned as a talented baseball pitcher and IIRC Ness doesn't have a projectile that would suit it.

Edit: Ninja'ed by RidleySaria. I should know better than to post before fully catching up on a thread.
    Mike from Star Tropics should be an Echo Fighter of Ness. They both have yo-yo's, right? Do it, Sakurai. Don't be a dick.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Hm, the official website didn't update today, so I guess we aren't getting daily updates after all.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    I think there's no possible way they'll add an echo for every character, that would result in a lot of very poorly matched movesets. IMO the only reason to add an echo character is if you have a moderately popular character you want to add but they're not different enough from another character to have an interesting moveset. Thus Lucina and Daisy. Dark Samus makes some sense, the character is a bit obscure but also easy to design. If I were them I wouldn't shortchange a new franchise by adding it as an echo character to an unrelated character though. That's even worse than a clone.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

The winged anklet and ray guns from Star Tropics 1 say otherwise.

Also, Mike does learn an upgradeable psychic shockwave attack from Merlin in Startropics 2.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I think there's no possible way they'll add an echo for every character, that would result in a lot of very poorly matched movesets. IMO the only reason to add an echo character is if you have a moderately popular character you want to add but they're not different enough from another character to have an interesting moveset. Thus Lucina and Daisy. Dark Samus makes some sense, the character is a bit obscure but also easy to design. If I were them I wouldn't shortchange a new franchise by adding it as an echo character to an unrelated character though. That's even worse than a clone.

Yeah, my understanding was that the idea of Echo characters is that they can share a skeleton and thus animations, which means their moves have to be so similar as to preclude things like the custom moves options from Smash For. I think they're just gonna have changes to their statlines & some fiddling with the numbers for their moves. Maybe swap the effects for certain moves (like electric instead of fire). Hopefully Lucina's hitboxes continue to not have tip/edge preference.

Clones are where we'd see good use of the Smash For custom moves; the whole idea there is to make them similar but with major differences (different skeleton, different animations, and mechanical differences for some of the moves). See Wolf's everything, Ganondorf's increased use of his sword now, Roy's mechanical differences for moves like his neutral special. I kinda hope they'll lean into it for Young Link and make more changes to reflect the differences between him and adult Link in OoT (even just superficial things like having him use the slingshot instead of a bow), since that would help to differentiate him more from Toon Link as well.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

I don't know, coming up with a whole specific term for it and then only having 3, and not including Falco, Ganon, or Dr. Mario in that listing seems like it's laying the groundwork for something. Maybe not something huge, but significant.

What I'm saying here, I guess, is that Rawk Hawk is totally in and he's a DK clone.

Also Groose is going to be a Captain Falcon clone.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I agree that since they've made a point of establishing the distinction, I'd be surprised if there aren't a number of echo fighters either yet to be announced, or planned as DLC after release. But I don't think it will be anywhere near the whole cast.

Also, I like the idea mentioned somewhere upthread of it being a toggle when selecting a character (sort of like picking Omega mode versions of stages) instead of them getting their own spot on the roster.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Going down the list of known characters, I can think of a handful of plausible echos:

DK: Funky Kong
    Diddy Kong: Dixie Kong
    Pikachu: Raichu / Alola Raichu
    Samus: Dark Samus / SA-X
    (FE sword guy): (other FE sword guy/girl)
    Villager: Isabelle
    Little Mac: Bald Bull?
    Sonic: Shadow
    Mega Man: X
    Pac-Man: Ms Pac-Man
    Bayonetta: Jeanne
    Ryu: Ken

Cross-franchise characters would mix up the character selection screen IMO and only very rarely are a good fit anyway. It's still a bit unclear where they draw the line in cloniness to qualify as an echo character. But if Pichu isn't one then it must be pretty strict.

• Options
    It's all same attacks, what is unclear

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    god no please not shadow, anything but that

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    god no please not shadow, anything but that

Would much prefer Tails. Tails is the best.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Going down the list of known characters, I can think of a handful of plausible echos:

DK: Funky Kong
    Diddy Kong: Dixie Kong
    Pikachu: Raichu / Alola Raichu
    Samus: Dark Samus / SA-X
    (FE sword guy): (other FE sword guy/girl)
    Villager: Isabelle
    Little Mac: Bald Bull?
    Sonic: Shadow
    Mega Man: X
    Pac-Man: Ms Pac-Man
    Bayonetta: Jeanne
    Ryu: Ken

Cross-franchise characters would mix up the character selection screen IMO and only very rarely are a good fit anyway. It's still a bit unclear where they draw the line in cloniness to qualify as an echo character. But if Pichu isn't one then it must be pretty strict.

Dixie seems kind of wasted as an echo character, you could do way more unique things with her as a standalone fighter.

Also, Raichu and Alolan Raichu are way taller than Pikachu, so they wouldn't really work either. Also, Alolan Raichu is a Pokeball Pokemon already.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
This discussion has been closed.