As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm cold again, [weather thread]

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    This is all hearsay from excited bystanders or helicopter flyby reports so who knows

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Embers use ride sharing and scooters to get around.

• Options
    My state of Oregon sending some help your way.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Sacramento has a 2 alarm fire by i-5 near Natomas.

@ElJeffe - not sure whereabouts you're at, but fyi

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Turn off the power to help prevent fires.

Fires happen anyway only now there's a bunch of people without power who are reliant on their phone's battery for news updates. Great job, PG&E!

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Turn off the power to help prevent fires.

Fires happen anyway only now there's a bunch of people without power who are reliant on their phone's battery for news updates. Great job, PG&E!

Given how many trees are down and the condition of PG&E's infrastructure, I would expect today to be a LOT worse if they hadn't, tbh.

• Options
    Yeah it's frustrating that there's still fires in spite of the blackouts but you never see the fires that didn't start

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2019
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Sacramento has a 2 alarm fire by i-5 near Natomas.

@ElJeffe - not sure whereabouts you're at, but fyi

I'm in Elk Grove, so if it gets to the point where I'm in danger, Sac County as a whole is pretty much fucked.

Edit: not too surprised, though, the air is dry and the wind is straight bonkers.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Going off the county map, it looks like the fire is getting real close to Windsor.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    80 and 5 are both back open, bridge is fine in Vallejo. News is saying that it did actually cross the straight, but it was contained to 150 acres or so. There was a grass fire kinda near to me, but they managed to put it out relatively quick.

Some houses destroyed in Windsor, but it hasn't ripped through town like Paradise.

One of our trees lost a healthy branch, and tons of leaves everywhere, but nothing else here.

Looks like overnight, the worst winds are going to be up in the sierras.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    There was a lot of wind and my internet went out while I was trying to binge Bojack Horseman, so I think we can all see the true tragedy, here.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    There's a fire next to the 405 in LA that's being called the Getty Fire, due to it's proximity to the Getty Center.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Some slight good news: winds not as bad as anticipated overnight tonight.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Skeith wrote: »
    There's a fire next to the 405 in LA that's being called the Getty Fire, due to it's proximity to the Getty Center.

The hillside on the other side of the 405 in the Sepulveda Pass burned during the last big fire weather event we had, I guess it was only a matter of time.

Traffic is gonna suck, air quality is gonna suck, people have lost their homes, big suck all around.

Edit: oh, because it was discussed yesterday, here's a snippet from the LA Times coverage of the Getty Fire:
    Several homes also were burning on Tigertail Road, and officials say embers were being cast a mile ahead of the body of the fire amid moderate winds.

It is nowhere near as windy as it was up north, or even had been down here this past week, and embers are still traveling a mile ahead of the fire line.

jgeis on
  • Options
    The Getty Fire's mandatory evacuation zone has been expanded a bit, there's now a corridor through Pacific Palisades running right down to the Pacific that has to evacuate.

• Options
    More heavy wind anticipated in norcal on tuesday so they're shutting down power again, which is to say not turning the power back on at all for a large rural portion of the people who've been blacked out since they haven't inspected their lines yet. Looking like 5-7 total consecutive days of blackout for large swathes of norcal.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Speaking of Terminator, I saw that Arnold Schwarzenegger's house was in the mandatory evacuation zone and he and his family had to hoof it.

Also air quality on the west side fucking sucks right now.

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    Speaking of Terminator, I saw that Arnold Schwarzenegger's house was in the mandatory evacuation zone and he and his family had to hoof it.

Also air quality on the west side fucking sucks right now.

Winds are back to coming from the west, so all the smoke which was blown out over the ocean is getting blown back in.

Air quality will probably (counterintuitively?) get better again when conditions get bad again later in the week.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Sigh yep no power restoration today for me looks like.

At least we have a supermarket that's well-hardened against blackouts here, seems like they can keep their refrigeration and all their departments running on generator and solar power, and the only thing they were running out of yesterday was bottled water.

Jeez, sounds like there might be even more people blacked out on Wednesday too.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LA is back under a Red Flag warning again beginning at 11AM this morning and lasting until Thursday evening, and my corner of LA is also under a gale watch from 2AM to 5PM tomorrow.

• Options
    edited October 2019

Stay safe in the LA area, the next few days are being forecast as record extreme fire danger.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    The power company is so beyond fucked. Shut power off, fires start, leave power on, fires start.

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Fire broke out in Simi Valley about an hour ago, not much info yet.

The Easy Fire in Simi Valley is now up to 407 acres.

There's also a much, much smaller fire in the community of Nuevo out in Riverside county but they're reporting structures burned.

jgeis on
  • Options
    Ronald Reagan library is basically surrounded by fire now.

Outside of California:
    "A new October record low temperature for the lower 48 states was set this morning when Peter Sinks, Utah fell to -45.5 between 2:15 and 2:30 am. The previous record was -34.5 set on October 28th (two days ago). The record prior to this year was -33 at Soda Butte, WY (Yellowstone National Park) on Oct 29, 1917.

The record for the entire US including Alaska is -48 at Clearwater, AK on Oct 31, 1975. Additionally -44 was recorded at Chandalar Lake, AK on Oct 26, 2008 and Clearwater, AK on Oct 30, 1975"

• Options
    See this proves global warming isn't real ha ha ha kill me

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I'm watching the local ABC affiliate's live coverage of the Easy Fire and they're on the ground with some folks trying to evacuate a bunch of horses and good lord do those horses not want to get in their trailers.

Edit: Easy Fire up to 972 acres now, so it more than doubled in size since my last update an hour ago.

jgeis on
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    We're supposed to get 20mm+ of rain tomorrow night, so boroughs around here are frantically trying to contact residents to delay halloween activities to friday night
    I wonder how successful that will be

• Options
    If you could just send that around the planet to california we'd really appreciate it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    On that ABC7 livestream, they cut to a crew in Fontana covering multiple big-rig tip overs due to wind on Interstate 15. One happened while they were broadcasting, shit's bad. Emergency workers and news crews on the scene can hardly stand up in the wind.

Easy fire up to 1300 acres now too.

78mph wind gust recorded at the Boney Mountain weather station, lots of locations in SoCal getting gusts over 70mph.

Edit 2: New smaller fires in Calabasas (101 northbound closed) and Jurupa Valley (evacuating a mobile home park.) Lots of wind-borne embers in that second fire. Jurupa Valley fire is up to 50 acres, was initially reported as about 10. Fire captain just told the ABC7 crew to GTFO of the way, fire was moving quickly.

jgeis on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    This wind will not let up. I can hear it howling. The fires must be real fun today.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    We're supposed to get 20mm+ of rain tomorrow night, so boroughs around here are frantically trying to contact residents to delay halloween activities to friday night
    I wonder how successful that will be

Rain here, too, if probably not that much. Thank goodness trick or treating is done in the apartment buildings here, though. I remember going out in the snow when I was younger, but rain just seems worse to me.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    The fire in Simi Valley right up to houses. Helicopters making frantic water drops trying to stop it.

https://abc7.com/watch/live/

• Options
    Reporter stopping woman with arms full of stuff with dog trying to evacuate house. I would have told reporter to go fuck themselves and get out of the way.

• Options
    The edge of that ridiculous cold air mass on top of you is what's causing our super low humidity extreme winds down here

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.