As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU]: The Batman, The

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    With regards to Momoa he looks pretty much like 90’s Aquaman, to the point where I expect him to lose his hand at the end of the movie (and instead of the harpoon they'll just give him the magic water hand).

There is nothing in the comics or even other mediums to connect comic Kori to that Mean Titans Kori. It's stupid to go after an actor for a trailer, straight up. There is also a point where it's on the producers for botching the character so badly they're making the actress bear the brunt. Don't do that to the actress or the character, especially one who I'm sure knows nothing about the comics or how divergent the character she's playing is.

Dude they best give him the harpoon. That shit's metal af.

The water hand is also going to be harder to work with on-screen while the harpoon is.....a prop.

I mean, it would basically be a green glove.

Also yeah, the people that fucked up Titans are not the actors

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    With regards to Momoa he looks pretty much like 90’s Aquaman, to the point where I expect him to lose his hand at the end of the movie (and instead of the harpoon they'll just give him the magic water hand).

There is nothing in the comics or even other mediums to connect comic Kori to that Mean Titans Kori. It's stupid to go after an actor for a trailer, straight up. There is also a point where it's on the producers for botching the character so badly they're making the actress bear the brunt. Don't do that to the actress or the character, especially one who I'm sure knows nothing about the comics or how divergent the character she's playing is.

Dude they best give him the harpoon. That shit's metal af.

The water hand is also going to be harder to work with on-screen while the harpoon is.....a prop.

I mean, it would basically be a green glove.

Also yeah, the people that fucked up Titans are not the actors

Fuck, you're right. In that case I super hope they stick with the harpoon despite it being harder to do!

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Reign of the Superman featurette, the next or second to next DC animated movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMdcSTVPOFw

At 1:33 & 2:10 you can see their version of Superboy in action and I don't say this much but thank God for the 90's when he was created by Kesel and Grummett, their version of the aesthetic allowed him to be jawsome and have some color to his costume (they replaced his red legs with black here)

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

At 1:33 & 2:10 you can see their version of Superboy in action and I don't say this much but thank God for the 90's when he was created by Kesel and Grummett, their version of the aesthetic allowed him to be jawsome and have some color to his costume (they replaced his red legs with black here)

As ever, yet more proof that what DC needs to do to fix its movie division is to put its ANIMATED movie division in charge. Not everything they make is a hit, but at least they know where the target is and what their inspiration is.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    How long has it been since the animated division did the death of Superman before?

*looks it up*

Eleven years? Christ. Okay, guess it's time to kill him again.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    To be fair the other version really truncated and rewrote a lot of the story. It never even had the "Rise of the Supermen" half.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    The best part is, there has been a shared cinematic universe dating back to Flashpoint Paradox that nearly every animated movie afterwords has taken place in. IIRC, Death of Superman marks the 11th film set in that universe. They never beat you over the head with it. All the movies are perfectly self contained. The only hints that it's a shared universe are the character designs and occasional reference.

• Options
    To be fair the other version really truncated and rewrote a lot of the story. It never even had the "Rise of the Supermen" half.

Honestly, I thought that was for the best. It really concentrated on Superman's sacrifice and came up with a "Superman's back?" take that was streamlined and effective. I figured no one wanted to go through the whole "which one of these random dudes is Superman" when there's absolutely no question the answer is "none of the above."

Guess I figured wrong.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular

I understand that the desicion of how the character is portrayed is not a choice for the actor to make in this kind of movies, but actors do research the characters they play, you are understimating the actress too much. I would find it hard to belive that they have never checked any previous itterations of their characters, even if they dont get any input on the writting or design. Even out of personal curiosity, I cant imagine someone being so uninvolved in a project that they wouldnt even read a couple of comic books for a project of this size.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    I understand that the desicion of how the character is portrayed is not a choice for the actor to make in this kind of movies, but actors do research the characters they play, you are understimating the actress too much. I would find it hard to belive that they have never checked any previous itterations of their characters, even if they dont get any input on the writting or design. Even out of personal curiosity, I cant imagine someone being so uninvolved in a project that they wouldnt even read a couple of comic books for a project of this size.
    While that's true, it's also a role in the DCEU. Even if you think "Jesus, this is way off what they have in the comics," career wise you go for it and hope that it works.

You know what character arc was way off how the character had been portrayed before? Mr. Freeze in B:TAS. Now? That's how the character is. I can't even imagine a different way to portray him.

For both her career and maybe thinking it would work? She doesn't deserve any scorn for going with it.

To me, it's a lot like Rose in The Last Jedi. I truly do not like that movie and like Rose even less, but I think the mouthbreathers harassing the actress who played Rose need to be shot into the sun.

I don't like how the character has been portrayed in the trailer, how she looks in the trailer, etc...and not just her, most of the characters. I don't think it's on the actress, though.

[edit]

Imagine if the Mean Titans version is amazing? :).

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    While that's true, it's also a role in the DCEU. Even if you think "Jesus, this is way off what they have in the comics," career wise you go for it and hope that it works.

You know what character arc was way off how the character had been portrayed before? Mr. Freeze in B:TAS. Now? That's how the character is. I can't even imagine a different way to portray him.

For both her career and maybe thinking it would work? She doesn't deserve any scorn for going with it.

To me, it's a lot like Rose in The Last Jedi. I truly do not like that movie and like Rose even less, but I think the mouthbreathers harassing the actress who played Rose need to be shot into the sun.

I don't like how the character has been portrayed in the trailer, how she looks in the trailer, etc...and not just her, most of the characters. I don't think it's on the actress, though.

[edit]

Imagine if the Mean Titans version is amazing? :).

The issue that it has is that (to point to your example), before B:TAS Mr Freeze was kinda a 'meh' villain whom noone really cared about. However, Starfire already exists in the public consciousness in two related but both utterly awesome formats (Teen Titans and Teen Titans GO!). She's also been sometimes done well in the comics, although she does often fall victim to just being a sex object.

So, if the Mean Titans version is amazing, then it still won't be Starfire because Starfire is already awesome.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    yeah, I really think they should just make new characters if they didn't want to do the teen titans

because looking at that trailer, the only things I see consistent with most (if not all) iterations of teen titans are the names

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    [
    The issue that it has is that (to point to your example), before B:TAS Mr Freeze was kinda a 'meh' villain whom noone really cared about. However, Starfire already exists in the public consciousness in two related but both utterly awesome formats (Teen Titans and Teen Titans GO!). She's also been sometimes done well in the comics, although she does often fall victim to just being a sex object.

So, if the Mean Titans version is amazing, then it still won't be Starfire because Starfire is already awesome.

Agreed, but I wasn't arguing that. I was more pointing out that the actress herself doesn't deserve any scorn or ridicule for any of it.

If she's not 100% orange, 100% of the time, they've already lost me, so....

(and some of us like sexy Starfire :snap: )
    Xaquin wrote: »
    yeah, I really think they should just make new characters if they didn't want to do the teen titans

because looking at that trailer, the only things I see consistent with most (if not all) iterations of teen titans are the names
    My more comic savvy friends tell me there was a period where Dick was of a "F batman" mindset, but yes, it's jarring with how he's customarily portrayed as.

Agreed overall, though.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

As ever, yet more proof that what DC needs to do to fix its movie division is to put its ANIMATED movie division in charge. Not everything they make is a hit, but at least they know where the target is and what their inspiration is.

I mean we say that. But then we complain that they added the Barbara love plot to The Killing Joke, and I personally think they wasted Hamill in the role.

• Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    [

Agreed, but I wasn't arguing that. I was more pointing out that the actress herself doesn't deserve any scorn or ridicule for any of it.

If she's not 100% orange, 100% of the time, they've already lost me, so....

(and some of us like sexy Starfire :snap: )

My more comic savvy friends tell me there was a period where Dick was of a "F batman" mindset, but yes, it's jarring with how he's customarily portrayed as.

Agreed overall, though.

Robin is the only character who looks like a recognizable iteration of themselves in the trailer. Robin can resent batman, and still BE Robin. Everyone else (if the TV show is to work) needs to be just showing their 'introduction personalities' which then get wiped out over the first couple of episodes and replaced with their real ones.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    The live action Teen Titans show looks horrible, which is fine. Just gives the writers of Teen Titans Go! more ammo to work with for when they inevitably excoriate it.

Viskod on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I mean we say that. But then we complain that they added the Barbara love plot to The Killing Joke, and I personally think they wasted Hamill in the role.

The Killing Joke was separate from the rest of the DC Animated stuff.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    The live action Teen Titans show looks horrible, which is fine. Just gives the writers of Teen Titans Go! more ammo to work with for when they inevitably excoriate it.

Speaking of which, Teen Titans Go to the Movies is now sitting at a strong 88 percent at Rotten Tomatoes, with critics praising its meta humor and sendups of the superhero movie biz.

...is there still a bunch of loud people proclaiming Teen Titans Go an atrocity unto the lord, or have they moved on to hating other cartoons they haven't seen?

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Speaking of which, Teen Titans Go to the Movies is now sitting at a strong 88 percent at Rotten Tomatoes, with critics praising its meta humor and sendups of the superhero movie biz.

...is there still a bunch of loud people proclaiming Teen Titans Go an atrocity unto the lord, or have they moved on to hating other cartoons they haven't seen?

I think the consensus is that the people who liked Teen Titans (and Young Justice) are still overwhelmingly upset that those shows are cancelled, but Teen Titans Go is so consistently good that they don't really blame it any more, and would be happy for both (or all three) shows to just exist together.

• Options

I think the consensus is that the people who liked Teen Titans (and Young Justice) are still overwhelmingly upset that those shows are cancelled, but Teen Titans Go is so consistently good that they don't really blame it any more, and would be happy for both (or all three) shows to just exist together.

Also, those people have other Titans stuff to deal with at the moment

• Options
    Just today I saw a clip of TTG where Robin takes them on a tour of Wayne Manor and tells them about places and things used the various batman films and in the old tv show. Robin mentions the actors by name and describes the places as follows.

The long dining table where Michael Keaton had an awkward dinner. Raven and Beast Boy sit down on opposing ends and re-enact the whole "pass the salt" bit.
    The hole on the grounds where Christian Bale learned "why do we fall".
    The red phone that Adam West answered to save Gotham from crime.

And.... a dumpster out back filled with costumes and props from the Schumacher Batman films, that is then set on fire.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Isn't Young Justice coming back, though? As Outsiders?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

I don't know where this came from, might have been a post credit thing at the TTG movie, so spoiling.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

I've got young boys so I've watched pretty much every episode of TTG. For any flaws it has it gave us the 40 40 20 Cyborg.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

I don't know where this came from, might have been a post credit thing at the TTG movie, so spoiling.

Do NOT get my hopes up over this

c71.gif

• Options

c71.gif

For the teen titans, the real ones, I’ll subscribe to their damned streaming service. You win DC

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Given how many other announcements were made about reviving beloved shows, let's just say... Teen Titans being missing was conspicuous.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Given how many other announcements were made about reviving beloved shows, let's just say... Teen Titans being missing was conspicuous.

Urgh, so grumpy to have to subscribe to another service. So happy there might be more Titans...

DC should bundle in some digital comics subscriptions with their streaming service, at least that would give it some distinct and interesting content that would allow me to argue to my finance manager/wife that I should be allowed to get it ;)

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Those people will always exist forever.

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    Buy three teen titans get the fourth free!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

But there are five of them

• Options

But there are five of them

No one wants Robin.

• Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular

Urgh, so grumpy to have to subscribe to another service. So happy there might be more Titans...

DC should bundle in some digital comics subscriptions with their streaming service, at least that would give it some distinct and interesting content that would allow me to argue to my finance manager/wife that I should be allowed to get it ;)

If I am remembering correctly, they already announced that the steaming service subscription would come with a subscription to a Marvel Unlimited style archive for DC comics. That's not quite the same as a digital subscription to current comics, but its pretty close.

• Options
    Cururu wrote: »

If I am remembering correctly, they already announced that the steaming service subscription would come with a subscription to a Marvel Unlimited style archive for DC comics. That's not quite the same as a digital subscription to current comics, but its pretty close.

If I recall from the last time I looked into that those archives are always so incomplete and confusingly structured that they aren't much use. They'll have like 30 issues of a wolverine comic from the 90s, but none of the crossover issues which contain important plot stuff, or no way to know which issue you should have read BEFORE this one.

I'd much prefer just to pay my money and be able to read like, 6 current comics a month or something.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    They said the service would include access to some ‘curated’ comic series (iirc) on a rotating basis. So you’ll be able to read some stuff which will presumably tie into whatever the most recent film/tv series is, but it won’t be a marvel unlimited style service

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Cururu wrote: »

If I recall from the last time I looked into that those archives are always so incomplete and confusingly structured that they aren't much use. They'll have like 30 issues of a wolverine comic from the 90s, but none of the crossover issues which contain important plot stuff, or no way to know which issue you should have read BEFORE this one.

I'd much prefer just to pay my money and be able to read like, 6 current comics a month or something.

Are there official or unofficial continuity charts floating around anywhere?

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

c71.gif

For the teen titans, the real ones, I’ll subscribe to their damned streaming service. You win DC

Reviving the old animated shows could be a big draw for their streaming service. Bring back Green Lantern and Brave and the Bold. Continue the DCAU. Do more Batman Beyond and Static Shock. Do a Justice League Beyond.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Anna Diop disabled comments on her Instagram because of harassment from nerds angry that a black woman is playing Starfire.

Nerds are bad.

I didn't retaliate on social media, but I dislike her playing Starfire because the costume and hair look like a thrift store bargain bin find. Also the rest of that show looks terribad. I'm just not going to watch it. I can't condone internet lynch mobs, however. Those sort of people are the worst.

She also has all the wrong powers, and apparantly (from the little we see of her) completely the wrong attitude.

My only issue with her playing the role is that I always assumed Starfire was Latina, with red magic hair, and that the Teen Titans don't have Cyborg (who is always Black)

she's an orange alien with green eyes and starbeam powers

so the show just made up some other character and called her starfire

Isn't she a barbarian princess? I could see them playing up that role a bit more for this one, then bringing in more of the kind but confused persona once she has people she sees as friends (though still in a more Thor 1 style than TTG).

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Anna Diop disabled comments on her Instagram because of harassment from nerds angry that a black woman is playing Starfire.

Nerds are bad.

I didn't retaliate on social media, but I dislike her playing Starfire because the costume and hair look like a thrift store bargain bin find. Also the rest of that show looks terribad. I'm just not going to watch it. I can't condone internet lynch mobs, however. Those sort of people are the worst.

She also has all the wrong powers, and apparantly (from the little we see of her) completely the wrong attitude.

My only issue with her playing the role is that I always assumed Starfire was Latina, with red magic hair, and that the Teen Titans don't have Cyborg (who is always Black)

she's an orange alien with green eyes and starbeam powers

so the show just made up some other character and called her starfire

Isn't she a barbarian princess? I could see them playing up that role a bit more for this one, then bringing in more of the kind but confused persona once she has people she sees as friends (though still in a more Thor 1 style than TTG).

Kind of. Starfire was a princess, yes but her home planet was sacked and she was taken as a slave. Her formative years were spent being raped and learning to fight. Starfire's had a hard life with barbarians and isn't used to the boundaries civilized people put up. It took Dick Grayson to instill in her a moral code to live by. Before meeting The Titans she was well on her way to being another cosmic super villain.

So I guess in so much as she was a princess turned into a barbarian, you are correct.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Heads up for everyone intrigued by that shocker of a mid-credits scene for Teen Titans Go to the Movies (and you should be), apparently the next episode of Teen Titans Go airing on August 13 will directly deal with the events of the movie. Maybe we'll find out more? Chances are decent since the movie ended with "to be continued on Cartoon Network."

Here's a video of the scene, click fast before it vanishes.

This discussion has been closed.