Options

A shiny new [tech] thread that will be obsolete in 6 months.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i think that everyone roundly suspected it would be the same shape and have all the same characteristics of the X

that part really isn't surprising. people were jonesing for some new mac updates though, and they didn't get it

its not enough to get me to buy, but the dual sim actually does appeal to me

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    the 6s had 3d touch iirc!

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Yea i upgrade every four years or so and picked up an X last year. Hopefully the iPhone 13 will be interesting. Maybe I'll be able to take x-rays of myself for the health app.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Yea i upgrade every four years or so and picked up an X last year. Hopefully the iPhone 13 will be interesting. Maybe I'll be able to take x-rays of myself for the health app.

It will be called the XIII RS Turbo Max.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

It will be called the Final Fantasy XIII-3 RS Turbo Max HD Remix.

• Options
    As long as it works I don't really care what they call it.

Though if they were sticking with the premium concept they should have called it platinum instead of MAX.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm just glad apple has finally come to grips with the fact that they've done the maximum they can within this design space, and this will be the last phone design they ever make

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Anyone have any recommendations for coax amplifier that is MOCA (bi-directional?) compatible? I want something with at least 6 ports. 10+ being preferred.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Speaking of other things, what do I need nowadays to host a 16 person LAN? A switch or hub? My current network is a modem hooked into a 4 port router with wifi.

• Options
    Speaking of other things, what do I need nowadays to host a 16 person LAN? A switch or hub? My current network is a modem hooked into a 4 port router with wifi.

You probably couldn't even buy a hub in 2018 if you tried.

You want a gigabit switch, you might be able to find a 16 port one, but snag a 24 port one in case you need extra spots. If you need internet access on it, you'll need a router that does DHCP. Similar to how your home one works.

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Unmanaged-Switching-Protection-TEG-S24DG/dp/B0044GH27U

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    huh what's the difference between a switch and a hub?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

A hub is dumb and a switch is smart, basically (in regards to data routing).

Hubs don't really exist in the consumer space these days. Switches have gotten so cheap that there's just no point.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

A switch sends incoming packet to the intended recipient. A hub sends incoming packets to everyone, which causes problems.

• Options

OSI model differences (layer1 vs layer2 IIRC), hub is old tech though, and they don't reach gigabit speeds (not consumer ones anyways). Think of hubs like token rings, everyone's just kind of shitting data into the pipe at once and taking turns reading it to see if it's theirs. Switches are sort of like smart hubs, that connect the devices directly to each other (but can also multicast like hubs too).

It's a lot more complex than that, obviously.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    Not terribly wowed by Apple today.

The XR seems ok, but I'm not sure about the screen and camera downgrades. I'm also not sure if my 6 will last another month.

And the X is discontinued. So good luck finding one of those at a discount.

Maybe I'll go for a Note 9 or S9+

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The cameras are all the same across the three phones.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »

Xr only has one versus two. I like the Xr and it will probably be the upgrade to my wife's 5s.

• Options

Xr only has one versus two. I like the Xr and it will probably be the upgrade to my wife's 5s.

Yeah, it's not a big change, but it's something.

Also a little bummed that they kept the 1k price point and put the XR at $750. Was hoping the rumors of lower prices on both would be true.

• Options

Yeah, it's not a big change, but it's something.

Also a little bummed that they kept the 1k price point and put the XR at $750. Was hoping the rumors of lower prices on both would be true.

Biggest beef is keeping the 64gb lowest storage. Though that's probably the one I'll end up buying.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    This was kind of a nothing release. I like the idea of a larger X (as a size queen) but not like, $1200 worth. I know this is an iteration year but I was expecting something.

Either way I'm getting an X for my work phone so we'll see if I hate it and then I guess I'll wait for next year.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Tube wrote: »
    This was kind of a nothing release. I like the idea of a larger X (as a size queen) but not like, $1200 worth. I know this is an iteration year but I was expecting something.

Either way I'm getting an X for my work phone so we'll see if I hate it and then I guess I'll wait for next year.

If nothing else going from fingerprint to facial recognition was amazing. It's easily my favorite new feature. Plus live photos.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I can't imagine using a Samsung note 9 or an Xs max as anything other than insanely impractical trying to do anything one handed, unless you are like, lebron James and just have giant fucking mits.

• Options
    I can't imagine using a Samsung note 9 or an Xs max as anything other than insanely impractical trying to do anything one handed, unless you are like, lebron James and just have giant fucking mits.

It's essentially the same size as the 8+ that I use now. If I just got to pick my phone out of a lineup it's the one I'd pick.

• Options
    Yeah and that is true in terms of footprint, but there is so much extra screen, you need to get your hands around it more.

And I find it a lot harder say if I am using the phone with my left hand to pull down the left hand notification pane.

• Options
    Notable missing things: new airpods, multi wireless charging thing

• Options
    I am kinda tempted to go all apple and replace my pebble time with an apple watch.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I was hoping for new airpods. I'd be interested in getting a pair but really want to wait until a second gen

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    I'm pretty bearish on apple and Airpods are the best headset I've ever used, wireless or otherwise

• Options
    I am definitely interested in them, but I have weirdo ears and don't want to spend 200 plus dollars only to find out that they fall out of my ears all the time.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I wonder what the next big breakthrough will be with phones. All the flagships have great screens, cameras and processing power.

I still won't buy a watch until they make a round one.
    Getting rid of the notch is probably the next jump. How, I have no idea.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I wonder what the next big breakthrough will be with phones. All the flagships have great screens, cameras and processing power.

Speakers and microphones in the ends of the case, and side-mounted buttons.

• Options
    Sorce wrote: »

Speakers and microphones in the ends of the case, and side-mounted buttons.

It's the front-facing cameras that are really the issue. Until you can put them behind a usable screen, there's gonna be unusable space.

• Options
    Honestly I think what I would like to see from Apple, and never will, is being able to dock my phone into a keyboard/monitor setup and run desktop. They already have the app support, the phones are more than powerful enough and it would be huge for usability. I know some Android phones have played with this but no one has really stuck the landing, and I think Apple could be the one to do it, but they never will.

Hell give me a big tablet that is just nothing but a screen and a good set of speakers and let me power it from my phone.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Honestly I think what I would like to see from Apple, and never will, is being able to dock my phone into a keyboard/monitor setup and run desktop. They already have the app support, the phones are more than powerful enough and it would be huge for usability. I know some Android phones have played with this but no one has really stuck the landing, and I think Apple could be the one to do it, but they never will.

Hell give me a big tablet that is just nothing but a screen and a good set of speakers and let me power it from my phone.

MS were doing this (I have the little dock thing for my 950, it works, or you can beam it wirelessly to a windows 10 PC and use the phone as a trackpad) and there were rumours that they were working a shell to allow x86 applications to run on ARM processors that would have really blown this open.. but then they gave up on phones. Maybe they'll be back once small SOCs are fast enough to really do it well, but.. I doubt it.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    I would love to see Apple make a Surface-Book style of device and merges a MacBook and an ipad

Give me a big tablet that runs MacOS as it’s OS, but could also run iOS apps, that also docks into a thing that has more battery/gpu/ports?

I’d pay a crazy high sum of money for that

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think I’m going with the XS, as I like the form-factor of the X better and the screen size is just as big as the 7 plus I got now. Really disappointed in the lack of new airpods or the utter lack of airpower mentions (wtf?)

The Series 4 Watch looks great though, and a welcomed upgrade to my Series 1. However, I am not spending over $500 for the privilege of giving my cell company another tenner each month, so looks like I’m sticking with GPS. I COULD go with the Series 3 now that it’s discounted, but I don’t think I want LTE thar badly.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Hey guys, do you want to build a $2000 gaming PC but hamper its performance and potentially damage your newly bought components? Well, The Verge has guide for you!

https://youtu.be/pHu-3w3H1XE

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Digging that anti-static awareness bracelet.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Hey guys, do you want to build a $2000 gaming PC but hamper its performance and potentially damage your newly bought components? Well, The Verge has guide for you!

https://youtu.be/pHu-3w3H1XE

probably best to explain what's wrong.

the anti static bracelet that isn't actually an anti static bracelet because it isn't grounded to anything is a start, just a quick skim of the video the other big ones looks like the ram is probably put in the wrong slots and not actually in dual channel mode (fixable, easy), and the thermal paste (don't put that much thermal paste and don't put more thermal paste when the cooler you're applying already has thermal on it; remove the thermal from the cooler part first if you want to do your own. this is a mess but fixable). that said I haven't put together a computer in nigh on 7 years now, so I haven't gotten to experience the wonderful world of radiators and these nice modular PSUs.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    The RAM, thermal paste (that's so much is might short the motherboard by squeezing out from between the cooler and the CPU), and ungrounded anti-static bracelet are the obvious ones, but there's also stuff like the PSU being installed upside down (hot exhaust blowing into the case), and little things like not installing some of the motherboard components before mounting it in the case to save a bunch of hassle, or selecting the slot for your GPU at random (should always be the slot with the most PCI lanes).

This discussion has been closed.