As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A shiny new [tech] thread that will be obsolete in 6 months.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    let's say for the sake of argument that the controls for one of these machines is as trivial as a NES controller... (really it's just a plastic joystick)... its physically small, and requires very little force (in relative terms) to operate

if I just wanted to prod at that joystick remotely, what would I do?

I'm not a robotics person, but I'm going to guess wiring directly into the same interface the joystick feeds into would be more accurate and efficient than trying to rig up a manipulator to move the actual joystick.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2019
    BoTP'd, don't want it to be missed
    tynic wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    let's say for the sake of argument that the controls for one of these machines is as trivial as a NES controller... (really it's just a plastic joystick)... its physically small, and requires very little force (in relative terms) to operate

if I just wanted to prod at that joystick remotely, what would I do?

Ah, that's possibly more straightforward - all you'd really need to do is hack the electronics. Moving the joystick is really just connecting or disconnecting circuit pads, so you'd need:
    - a voltage and ground line for each internal connection
    - a switching mechanism (probably a large-ish relay) to trigger/untrigger them, and a power supply for this (depends on the voltage supply, which you'll have to test)
    - a controller of some kind (raspberry pi would work fine), and a phone battery pack (the controller tells the relay what to do, but doesn't operate on the same supply circuit so you need separate power)
    - (possibly a buffer circuit to save the pi from voltage overload, but if the relay isn't a piece of junk you should be ok).

then you can just use wifi to talk to the pi and program in whatever the hell language you like. You can drive a truck with python, given the right interface.

tynic on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    A friend dropped their phone and on retracing their steps, it’s gone and has been turned off. Their password is easy to guess

What are the best and worst case scenarios here? It’s an iPhone.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Tube wrote: »
    A friend dropped their phone and on retracing their steps, it’s gone and has been turned off. Their password is easy to guess

Did they have it set where it will wipe itself after 10 guesses? If not apple can push a remote wipe to it next time it accesses a network with Internet connection. You can also disable the phone from itunes so if it goes online it can't access your shit.

If they do that the best case is that if the person goes online with the phone to try to access your friend's services the phone will just reset to default, no harm no foul. I think you can even report it stolen and the carrier can kill the modem in it so the phone can't ever be re-used.

No matter what it would be worth changing all the passwords. If they do tap to pay I think that can be turned off on the card issuers side. There's no major downsides as long as your friend is pro-active about securing their services as quickly as possible, and contacting apple and their carrier.

If I lost my phone I would treat it like losing my wallet, and take the same steps.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    They can try and remotely lock/wipe it in case it gets turned back on and connects to the internet before someone disables that, and if they have the original box it should have the IMEI number on it, which their carrier should be able to use to block the phone (this block should extend to other carriers) so it's at least semi useless to whoever ends up with it.

Next thing to do is to log into services that allow you to revoke access at a device level (twitter, facebook, MS, itunes/apple..) and remove that device's permissions, then change passwords on everything that's cached in there - start with the banking stuff. This is also a good time to start using a password manager.

pimento on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Best case the battery just died and the person will charge it and return. Worst case call the service provider and tell them to report the emei or whatever unique number iPhones use as stolen. Will keep anyone from using the phone for good.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Sounds like a job for a micro PLC or an Arduino. Amazon has some cheap PLC's with relay outputs and there are a ton of inexpensive relay output shields for Arduino. You can trigger them with Arduino's digital outs and use the relay pins for the higher voltage signals for the vehicle controls (they are probably 12V but may be higher depending on the industry) and Arduino's IDE is essentially baby's first C platform.

I recommend getting your hands on a halfway decent multimeter and taking some measurements to properly size your relays. If it's all under 10 amps (which it probably is) then you would be in good shape with any relay output device.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »

Reminds me of the SideWinder Dual Strike! I have one, and it is weird and not terribly great but I'm a sucker for weird peripherals

13837111-1.1024.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I need help making a decision everyone.

My pixel just died and I need a new one.

I'm stuck between XL and normal on the pixel3. The normal one doesn't have the screen notch for the cameras but has a much better battery life. What should I do?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I'm stuck between XL and normal on the pixel3. The normal one doesn't have the screen notch for the cameras but has a much better battery life. What should I do?

After having a giant phone (Nexus 6P) and going back to Pixel 2 normal size, I think it depends on how often you use your phone for media consumption. I don't stare at videos on my phone often so I don't miss the big screen. I also don't miss the giant lump in my pocket either.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

After having a giant phone (Nexus 6P) and going back to Pixel 2 normal size, I think it depends on how often you use your phone for media consumption. I don't stare at videos on my phone often so I don't miss the big screen. I also don't miss the giant lump in my pocket either.

Yeah the consensus is to get the normal I think. I use my phone for texting and occasionally a game when I'm stuck somewhere but beyond that very rarely.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    The XL 3 also has a dumb notch

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Yeah the consensus is to get the normal I think. I use my phone for texting and occasionally a game when I'm stuck somewhere but beyond that very rarely.

Having used a phone with a notch before, you get used to it and most phones utilize the space in a way that doesn't affect the experience too much anyway.

But for your use case there's very little reason to go for the XL for sure. I'm using the 3 right now and definitely appreciate the smaller size (I have small hands though) and haven't had any battery issues when not playing games.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    irlfriend got herself a Honor 10 with the notch and it has the option to turn the notch black to use it just for the status icons and it looks much better that way while still giving you more screen.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I'm actually getting pretty good at desoldering now.

I've liberated a number of ics from my old c64 board to piggyback test on the newer one.

However I'm thinking there is still a voltage issue. Mainly I'm not getting a good 12 volts from the one voltage regulator. I think I'm going to try the other power supply when I get a barrel plug adapter in then try soldering the other 7812 regulator from the older board into the new board to see if that helps.

I'm getting so much practical experience with small electronics here it is nuts.

I want to take a class about this stuff. Maybe get into more prototyping boards and stuff.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Get the best Nokia handset available where you are.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    whelp just dropped my phone trying to clean the screen and now it's two thirds shattered.

so that's a thing.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    That is why I got an S8 active. No all glass body plus a flat screen so the screen protector actually fits. Highly recommend.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I've never broken a phone before, I'm totally baffled as to how it happened. I guess it's good I worked this holiday, I'll just get a new one.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    when you drop a phone the universe flips a coin

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I've only broken the screen on one phone, my very first smartphone, an HTC Aria. Loved that little phone, this was before smartphones became sort of standardized so it had touchpad buttons under the screen flanking an optical trackpads that you could use for scrolling or other swipe controls. There were big exposed tri-wing screws on the back that gave it a sort of industrial design nd the inside of the battery compartment was bright yellow! Miss that phone a lot.

I dropped my Pixel 2 but it only broke the glass on the back, not the screen.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I think I look at phones and cases as this: if you can afford to buy a new phone the instant you break it then feel free to run without a case. If not then put a case on it.

I'll gladly make my phone a few mm's thicker instead of taking my chances with a $600-1000 device or at least a $100-300 screen repair.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    So capacitors go bad right?

I suppose I'm going to have to order some from digikey

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

Yeah, capacitors will eventually go bad. They may pop when put under load, or if they've simply been sitting for a long time they'll likely start leaking electrolytic fluid on the motherboard and that is no bueno

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

Yeah, capacitors will eventually go bad. They may pop when put under load, or if they've simply been sitting for a long time they'll likely start leaking electrolytic fluid on the motherboard and that is no bueno

I see no fluid but they are weird around the bottom and I'm getting slightly lower voltage all over the board than I need. (4.6 instead of 4.8 or 4.9 which the ics need to run.)

Plus capacitors are a realitively easy to replace part in a soldering sense.

• Options

Get the best Nokia handset available where you are.

Seems like Nokia is selling only midrange phones in the US. You can get better ones unlocked but they aren't under warranty.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    huh I always pronounced it way-com

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I pronounce it like whack off, but on.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    My Intuos3 has been doing real good for close to a decade now.

It has 1024 levels of pressure-sensitivity.

That Pro 16" has 8192 levels.

I don't even know what that would feel like.

My hand would sink into the screen or something.

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

One time I got way, way too high from a THC-infused drink and I laid down to try and sleep it off but it felt like my bed was actively touching me back and it was far too much stimulation and so I got up and threw up.

I imagine it'd be like that every time I went to draw on that Wacom.

• Options
    the worst part about my phone dying is that I no longer have an alarm clock

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I wouldn't stress that much about having a notch, it does increase the vertical space because all of your notification stuff that is at the top sits around the notch and in horizontal mode when watching videos or playing games you honestly don't even notice it.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Yea thats why it never bothered me. If they could get rid of the notch and keep all the front facing stuff? Super cool but certainly not a deal breaker by any stretch.

Whats interesting is that i just took a screenshot to show off the notch space and the phone is totally rendering image underneath where the notch is. It is totally not visible in the screen shot.

Probably keeps programming easier, just have a design standard that says not to put anything important under the notch part of the screen.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

One time I got way, way too high from a THC-infused drink and I laid down to try and sleep it off but it felt like my bed was actively touching me back and it was far too much stimulation and so I got up and threw up.

I imagine it'd be like that every time I went to draw on that Wacom.

I am so glad someone else has had this sensation. I can eat just about anything, bring on the offal and organs all day. But at an Ny deli I had beef tongue on my sandwich, and the way it was sliced, longways, as opposed to the way I was used to, as chunks in tacos caused a thought to go through my brain. "The sandwich is tasting me back." I have never been so revulsed before. Which is a shame because by all accounts it was a damn good sandwich.

• Options
    My huion has 8192 levels of pressure sensitivity.

Honestly it's way more than I need given my dumb gorilla hands.

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    oh, welp. looks like google is planning on breaking third party adblockers for chrome
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/01/22/google_chrome_browser_ad_content_block_change/

• Options
    Zandracon wrote: »
    oh, welp. looks like google is planning on breaking third party adblockers for chrome
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/01/22/google_chrome_browser_ad_content_block_change/

rip chrome

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, Chrome can fuck off if they pull that.

This discussion has been closed.