Options

The Last Remnant - WOWEEWAWA

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Roshin wrote: »
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    On the topic of strange stats, I noticed that Jorgen (aka the amnesia guy) has a stat for "flakiness". I'm gonna be pissed if you lose it in mid-battle, Jorgen!

what shit did you give him?

Well, I realized that I had picked up a few "...of Remembrance" items, ie "Socks of Remembrance", etc. I don't remember exactly what they were. I thought maybe this was the stuff he was looking for and it was. He's decent enough fighter and the funny thing is that I still keep finding Remembrance items. :)
    There's a bunch of items. The ones you give him determine what kind of character he is (mage, fighter, hybrid, etc)

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Occulus wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    I don't know. You've got a better PC than I do and I don't think I really seem the same issues...

Maybe there's some 64-bit weirdness.

It's not a video issue, that's for sure.... I just tried it in 848x480 or some such weird low resolution (my TV didn't like Remnant's 720x480 option for some reason) and got the exact same problems. During the menu selection in battle, I was getting a consistent 30 fps, but as soon as the battle began, it fluctuated between 4fps (not a typo) to 45 fps. It always slowed whenever a new character or action occurred. Every time a battle ended, it went to 60fps and stayed there.

I really just don't get it; I've tried just about everything I know how to do. Maybe you're right, and it's a 64-bit issue. If so, that would be the first time I've ever seen that, and it's just shameful, as 64-bit OSes have been around for a minute now.

I've always heard that XP 64 is pretty much the worst OS to try and play games on, and that you're far better off with XP 32 or Vista 64.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Airan wrote: »
    The random difficulty spikes in this game are ridiculous. I'm on the '2nd disc' in terms of story progress and the first quest I get concludes with a boss with 60k~ HP and 5 fucking lackey unions all with V rank skills :x

wait until you get to the last battle in the game.

"LOLOL"

It may even be worse on the PC version, if you're playing that because the monsters are supposedly harder. but how much harder can they be w/o the leader cap? pfft.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The random difficulty spikes in this game are ridiculous. I'm on the '2nd disc' in terms of story progress and the first quest I get concludes with a boss with 60k~ HP and 5 fucking lackey unions all with V rank skills :x

wait until you get to the last battle in the game.

"LOLOL"

It may even be worse on the PC version, if you're playing that because the monsters are supposedly harder. but how much harder can they be w/o the leader cap? pfft.
    They're harder because you get less stat-ups per battle in the PC version. (Or it's that the max stat gain per battle is lower. One of those.)

I'm not real happy with any of Jorgen's stats or ability builds for what I want him to do (damage + heal). Raider doesn't heal well enough (gets Remedies but has low INT), Aristocrat isn't going to do a ton of damage (uses Scepters), Adventurer isn't going to do a ton of damage (but gets Remedies and Herbs), Warrior looks like it'll do fine damage but the healing might be lesser. And I'm sick of dual-wielders at this point. ;X

Maybe I'll give up and make him Djin, but it's not like I need another goddamn Magic user who can't heal. =/ Throw 'em all in a union and...what exactly? lol

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I give up. Fuck this quest. I'm gonna go grind some other quests, maybe get a increased union limit and then go screw those slave traders in the ass.

Anyway I'm linking a lot of enemies as is possible now because they've supposedly fixed the linking = huge BR up problem, though I'm dissapointed to hear that the stat gains are lower. Does anyone notice a shiny 'flourish' on the base of the character when they sometimes use a skill? I'm thinking that's a skillup but it happens so randomly.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I give up. Fuck this quest. I'm gonna go grind some other quests, maybe get a increased union limit and then go screw those slave traders in the ass.

Anyway I'm linking a lot of enemies as is possible now because they've supposedly fixed the linking = huge BR up problem, though I'm dissapointed to hear that the stat gains are lower. Does anyone notice a shiny 'flourish' on the base of the character when they sometimes use a skill? I'm thinking that's a skillup but it happens so randomly.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a stat-up effect.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ho! I got Rush's sister free from the Duke of Hermeien, who was holding a dagger when he threatened her. Goddammit, I'm obssessed with getting a dagger now. The fight with Jager wasn't too bad and now I'm running around on Fornstrand. Does anyone know roughly how far into the game I am at this point?

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ho! I got Rush's sister free from the Duke of Hermeien, who was holding a dagger when he threatened her. Goddammit, I'm obssessed with getting a dagger now. The fight with Jager wasn't too bad and now I'm running around on Fornstrand. Does anyone know roughly how far into the game I am at this point?
    He uses a dagger because he's such a giant pussy that he needs to use a Qsiti weapon.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Um, I just got there too. Finally beat the damn Gate of Hell only because the retarded Cyclops decided to not engage the Gate before I had killed all the cronies.

But anyway, that's the start of Disc 2 on the 360. (Assuming you're on PC and didn't already know that.)

So I'm guessing it's roughly 1/2 - 2/3 done.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Just reached the same place. Ran over Jager because the Remnant decided it really wanted to constantly flank Rush's union while he was stonewalling Jager and opening itself up to Emmy's union raidlocking it and Caedmon's union rear assaulting it. It, uh, didn't last very long.

That disc changing narration was pretty epic. Gave me a "War...war never changes..." feel.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh so it does that when you switch discs? It seemed awkward for me since I got TLR via Steam.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Arikado wrote: »
    Oh so it does that when you switch discs? It seemed awkward for me since I got TLR via Steam.
    I did as well.

It might have been nice to actually *see* some of those things instead of a black background, but oh well.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I steamrolled 2 rare mobs in Fornstrand. I feel so pimp.

Also Turbo Mode rocks. Make the grind go so much faster.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Love Will Rise Again is deceptively hard, especially the Balterossa fight. Those raptor packs have way too much HP and hit like trucks.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The Base fights are pretty entertaining. Torgal is now a motherfucking badass with Lugh's Revenge.

Fuck Ludope in the eye though. Asshole KO'ed 3 of my unions as a parting gift, can't be bothered to go through that shit again just to get my stat ups back :x

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Does curse ever become manageable instead of the game-ending bitch that it is early on?

Renzo on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Meh i got sick of the grinding and questing and just use a TRAINER for 1 hit kill to beat the game :(

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think I am done with this game. I gave a second shot - twice. That's like a quadruple chance since that shit is exponential.

Normally I can tolerate a shitty story. There is no story. The game is 90% fucking sidequests that seem to have little to nothing to do with the story. Some useless back story or some even more useless context on something that is trivial to the story. You gotta do them though, or else you won't get the real end boss or enough of the correct battles or locations to level properly.

Combat sucks. Leveling system is fucking stupid. The game is all guess work.

I also hate the unreal engine. texture popping, disappearing characters is bullshit.

I only have a month of gaming left on my 360 before I move and sell it. I'm not going to waste it all on this game.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    Does curse ever become manageable instead of the game-ending bitch that it is early on?
    Once you get Vivifications Herbs and have strong enough heals to bring a union back to full from next to no HP while still having enough guys running around to keep the enemies locked up in combat, Curse becomes alot more manageable.

Also, since most of the Curse using enemies are those giant fucking birds and only do it on Turn 1, you basically only need to sac a union (or two as the case may be) to Curse while everyone stands pat. Next turn, you use the "Cure them even if it kills them" command to end the Curse by friendly firing and immediately reviving them. Then you had a union on standby with healing prepped to bring them back up to full. Although they may get pre-empted healing someone else who suffered damage after you start dogpiling those multi-deadlocking assholes.

I should remark that I tend to run with max unions most of the time outside of really awful boss fights, so I have enough spare actions to do that sort of thing.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Curse becomes a joke once you're running 4 or 5 unions and you got a gazillion rezzers. Charm, however, can bend you over at the most ackward of moments.

Just got Lost Remenant and Ultimate Conquerer left. Playing some DoW 2 as a break from the grinding. I played WoW for 4 years and this game is much, much heavier on the grind.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    On the topic of strange stats, I noticed that Jorgen (aka the amnesia guy) has a stat for "flakiness". I'm gonna be pissed if you lose it in mid-battle, Jorgen!

what shit did you give him?

Well, I realized that I had picked up a few "...of Remembrance" items, ie "Socks of Remembrance", etc. I don't remember exactly what they were. I thought maybe this was the stuff he was looking for and it was. He's decent enough fighter and the funny thing is that I still keep finding Remembrance items. :)
    Yeah, there's a couple items you can pick up late after you've conceivably already given him three items if you didn't know ahead of time. Staff in The Fourth Path, Sword in the Aqueducts, Shield in Undewelt. I'm holding out for the Shield still. =X

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Goddammit I'm seriously hating the lesbian girls and their bullshit silver petal move. It's like Ludope's Galaxy, but at least that guy used it only when deadlocked, these girls just hit the "YOU LOSE" button whenver the fuck they want.

Though through this fight I've discovered how useful the Defend option can be when tanking one of them while my other 3 unions try and clean up the small fry :^:

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I've had that Defend option for quite some time, I think since Pagus learned Protection.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Arikado wrote: »
    I've had that Defend option for quite some time, I think since Pagus learned Protection.
    Baulson seems to have picked it up very early. I made Emmy the leader of his union and they still have the option fairly often.

It'd be sweet if people's healing option didn't randomly disappear, though. Glenys' union at 1.3k/2k? Nah, don't need to heal. Attack, combat arts, play it by ear are the only options. -_-

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, those options depend on leaders, I guess. Torgal is like that and offers like no Mystics option that doesn't have him opening with Mystic Missile which either misses or does fuck all damage. My current leaders are Rush, David, and Pagus. I switched David's former Mystic group to the tanking group and Pagus has become the sweeper group while Rush is the "everyone can do Rejuve/Recover" group.

Also, Torgal has switched to some ice axes which are pretty fucking awesome to watch in action.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Question: I'm early in the game, just got to Elysion. Should I do anything in particular with Rush's weapon loadout? I have him using two swords, and things seem to be okay. Is there something I should watch out for? Am I going to screw myself later on?

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I ended up using two medium sizes katanas just for the awesome factor of learning some of the awesome DW sword arts Emma has.

You can't go wrong with Rush. You can switch him to whatever weapon, he's the super-all-around character.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sweet. Dual Wield it is. I'm using one sword with a Maul modifier and one with a Slash modifier. I thought covering both damage types would be good, though honestly I have no idea what it means.

Renzo on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, you can have him with whatever weapons you want, but you really want to stick with one type the whole game or else you're not going to learn all the arts you should.

I have him dual wielding katanas, and it works fine up until the time you need to acquire more than one damn Inverted Terrapest Barb oh god why and then it sucks. I wonder what kind of battle chain I need to build up so that Terrapests have an actual chance of dropping one...

Schide on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    Question: I'm early in the game, just got to Elysion. Should I do anything in particular with Rush's weapon loadout? I have him using two swords, and things seem to be okay. Is there something I should watch out for? Am I going to screw myself later on?
    If you're using two swords now, it's heavily heavily heavily recommended to stay with two swords as his weapon from now on. Making him restart to a new weapon art set is terrible.

I'd the say the same goes for the arcana, but since you get alot of them late, if you want to hybridize later on, that'd probably not as bad (like if you wanted him on Hexes or whatever). He's weighted towards strength but still has decent INT, so he can work all of those well.

I'd recommend turning off Torgal's Invocations. Even if you want an Invocation union ('cause users of it are somewhat rare until later on), he's just not a good choice because of his awful INT. Same with Caedmon.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah I was hoping Mystic Missile would become super awesome at some point but it just isn't worth the AP to cast it.

Caedemon seems to do ok with spells, far more useful with them than he is with twin lances. He's become an amazing healer/reviver though. He was the first to get Vivi Herb 3 despite Rush having Vivi 1 for ages, of course now Rush has it too and it's always nice to see one herb bringing a KO'ed union back to full health :^:

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah I was hoping Mystic Missile would become super awesome at some point but it just isn't worth the AP to cast it.

Caedemon seems to do ok with spells, far more useful with them than he is with twin lances. He's become an amazing healer/reviver though. He was the first to get Vivi Herb 3 despite Rush having Vivi 1 for ages, of course now Rush has it too and it's always nice to see one herb bringing a KO'ed union back to full health :^:
    It does if the dude casting it has high INT. Torgal...uh, doesn't. The great thing about levelling skills is that they consume less AP.

Caedmon is great as a 'Paladin' type role. He's not so good at a magic damage role, though, based on his stats. He actually does a fuckton of damage with his lances.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'd just like to note that Gae Bolg's pretty goddamn funny to use right at the start of a wave during one of those big battlefield type fights.

Also, Psionics = GOOD. Jesus Paris does absurd against groups of enemies.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Having gotten around to doing this quest, yeah that was a bit rough. Lots of Nimble Cutting Lunge V coming out and my guys loved randomly deciding that they didn't want to use their AP.

Had to collapse my 5 unions into 4 to beat that to give them enough hitting power.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah I went back after grinding a few stat ups from the Base fights and totally crushed them. :^:

I picked Paris over Allan despite my preferences for hard-hitters, since I couldn't use Allan's traps and Paris' Psionics were nice for morale boosts. The difference in damage is like an extra 500 points off when maxed morale compared to lowest morale, and I also seem to get more chances at QTEs too.

And now for a [strike]minor[/strike] major complaint - the game appears to be really poorly structured in terms of introducing new places. I've just read the wikia and it appears I missed the quest 'The Broken Seal'. The thing is, the place where it's initiated I never ever know about, and even the fucking wiki states that it's missable. Sure, reward the intrepid and all that but it gets on my nerves when I'm missing out on content because it's hidden away with no chance to go back and get it after a certain progress point.

[edit]I'd like to add that since I'm playing the PC ver I'm hoping they didn't screw me over with such retarded decisions and I can now go visit the town to get the Disc 1 quests. Given that most of these quests are tied to the backstory however, I don't remain hopeful.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Given that I have more or less stumbled my way through most of the game, I wouldn't have any chance to do all of those quests anyway. I've already resigned to just finishing the game and exploring as much as I need to, and leaving the extra stuff for a second playthrough.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How's the pace of this game? I'm debating if i'll find myself bored by it or not. The last RPG I really sat through and enjoyed was FFX.

I thought FFXII was relatively terrible. I wish I could be more helpful in providing a barometer for my taste. but. yeah.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How's the pace of this game? I'm debating if i'll find myself bored by it or not. The last RPG I really sat through and enjoyed was FFX.

I thought FFXII was relatively terrible. I wish I could be more helpful in providing a barometer for my taste. but. yeah.

It's essentially just a bunch of battles loosely strung together by story sequences that are often jarringly abrupt in execution. Dungeons can get kinda tedious because the maps are hidden, but if you're getting sick of encounters, you can turn on the slow-time and just run by the monsters. And because the leveling system is weird, that can sometimes be to your benefit.

It does start horribly slow. But after two hours or so, if you like the battle system, it's just a lot of that. And you can save anywhere and stop if you want.

metaghost on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Saying you enjoyed FFX doesn't help much. ;p

But as metaghost points out, this game is a chain of battles in the fullest sense. The game actually plays out more as say, stages than dungeon x/y/z. With the exception of maybe 2 sidequests that I can recall off-hand, you'll be put directly into combat to advance. More than times, without the whole "go through the dungeon to get to the boss" type sequences.

The difficulty is pretty arbitrary. Certain fights you will absolutely steamroll and then just get rolled or near-rolled if you're sloppy. Some of the fights can be long. While I won't say that it's a hard game, it certainly gets to be challenging in some places.

Also, curse sucks horribly and is deeply rooted in the "more effective when used against your team" category, charmed unions will raep your own guys if you don't get to them before they can act, and the random rare spawning system blows.

Are you wanting this in the PC or 360? They're kind of two different breeds of the same animal from what I've read. I have the 360 version.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hm think i'll avoid this then. I kind of hate it when I find myself battling just to battle and nothing else. Ended up happening with Persona 4 at some point I just sat around doing fusions all day.

I've got a Wii, PS2, and PC. So I was excited to hear that i'd be able to play a next gen RPG.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png