As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Improper Wireshark use has restarted the editor wars.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The thing that bothers me the most about that job posting is the 'we hire unhireables' bullshit. They're basically saying they exploit vulnerable people by paying them less than what their work is worth and they're proud of it.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    SniperGuy, does your employer have any kind of internal knowledge management?

For example, an internal wiki, Sharepoint, Confluence, anything like that? A website where teachers or administrators can log in and enter articles or notes?

Not to my knowledge. We have a student information system where student info and notes can be entered, but not something for teachers to share other info. I don't think I've seen anything like your examples at any school I've worked in. I've got a Google form I've been using to have teachers submit tickets for help desk issues.

How many users do you support?

Probably 75ish staff and all the students have ipads. K-12 small rural school.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The thing that bothers me the most about that job posting is the 'we hire unhireables' bullshit. They're basically saying they exploit vulnerable people by paying them less than what their work is worth and they're proud of it.

That's because they're rogues!

Can't predict a rogue!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

It also oozes with saltiness over previous hires.

That's why I call it Amy's Baking Company.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

That's because they're rogues!

Can't predict a rogue!

Hey bowen, I have a job you might be interested in:

It mostly consists of touching printers and manually generating spam email.

You will be required to be on call 24/7 and are expected to be on site ~60 hours a week.

It is an exempt salaried position starting at 25K/year with limited opportunities for growth.

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

It also oozes with saltiness over previous hires.

That's why I call it Amy's Baking Company.

The image tagged at the end makes it read like someone got pissy they didn't get a raise and then the owner was like "yeah well, I uh... uh I prepay your legal fees if you're ever sued at work... yeah!"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    I think I read Rogue was started by former Nike execs

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Nice to know that even after two and a half weeks of holidays, it's still always DNS.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Sounds like it's not fine!
    Hrm, we keep getting IP conflicts. For some reason our DHCP keeps assigning people's phones the same IP as some of the workstations. Welp. *bans phone from network*

Cue someone complaining their phone isn't on wifi in 3...2...

Do you have more than one DHCP server on the network, or are the workstations set up with static IPs?

No to both as far as I know, I think. We have three ssids and one is for staff devices like phones, one for ipads, and one for all the other work devices. Staff phones are occasionally conflicting with work devices like an iMac, despite being on separate ssids. And maybe also vlans. Our network is confusing and a giant rats nest with no documentation which has been tricky for me, who is still figuring stuff out.

It's weird, but luckily not a huge deal. Sure, eventually it'll snowball out of control probably, but right now it's fine!

You probably have multiple DHCP servers and don't know it.

I gave you some instructions a while back on how to use a macOS computer to find the DHCP server on each subnet.

You should do that.

I forgot what thing you told me to do to do that because I'm terrible, but I did check and our firewall is definitely acting as another DHCP server so...damnit. I'm guessing the linux box we have acting as another DNS thing is probably the culprit because the mac and the sonicwall aren't overlapping from what I can see.

You should be able to disable DHCP on the firewall, but you'll probably want to have a device ready to test each of the separate wireless and wired networks just to ensure that the remaining DHCP server can still be reached, especially since you're in an "undocumented networks and maybe also vlans" kind of situation.

The IP ranges on the firewall aren't covering the IP of the device I saw that had a conflict, so it probably isn't the firewall? And it's only happened like, three times over the course of a month. But it does keep occasionally happening (with different devices) so I figured something must be setup wrong. Really need to get the AD up and running so we can move all the DNS over to that server and have it in one nice easy to figure out location.
    At which point I will write down what everything is and where it goes. And I will put it in multiple places.

Good, though having documentation in multiple places is a good way to have outdated copies floating around.

A given agent should be able to tell you the IP of its DHCP server (ipconfig/all in Windows and ifconfig in Linux terminal). If you're seeing different IPs, that will confirm a rogue DHCP server and give you a hint as to where to find the culprit. If you're seeing IP address conflicts and both devices are getting their IP from your server, then it indicates a problem with the DHCP server issuing the same address to multiple clients, which is a bit trickier to resolve.

Okay so, apparently this is still happening. and I'm home sick and getting emails about it. Luckily it only seems to happen to two devices at a time, but definitely needs fixing. So as a first step, I just need to track down both devices and figure out what IP the DHCP server has? In talking to the person who helped me setup our linux DNS, it sounds like that is not configured to run as DHCP, so I should be able to narrow it down once I do that. And then maybe buy a book/course on networking. And get that AD thing rolling so I can get it all in one spot.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    There is nothing worse than when Marketing infects HR postings.

"Are you a great team player who excels at getting it done yourself?! Come join a family that prioritizes work/life balance and kills it day in and day out, 24/7!!"

Fuck... You...

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    You know, I don't understand why their hiring
    Sounds like it's not fine!
    Hrm, we keep getting IP conflicts. For some reason our DHCP keeps assigning people's phones the same IP as some of the workstations. Welp. *bans phone from network*

Cue someone complaining their phone isn't on wifi in 3...2...

Do you have more than one DHCP server on the network, or are the workstations set up with static IPs?

No to both as far as I know, I think. We have three ssids and one is for staff devices like phones, one for ipads, and one for all the other work devices. Staff phones are occasionally conflicting with work devices like an iMac, despite being on separate ssids. And maybe also vlans. Our network is confusing and a giant rats nest with no documentation which has been tricky for me, who is still figuring stuff out.

It's weird, but luckily not a huge deal. Sure, eventually it'll snowball out of control probably, but right now it's fine!

You probably have multiple DHCP servers and don't know it.

I gave you some instructions a while back on how to use a macOS computer to find the DHCP server on each subnet.

You should do that.

I forgot what thing you told me to do to do that because I'm terrible, but I did check and our firewall is definitely acting as another DHCP server so...damnit. I'm guessing the linux box we have acting as another DNS thing is probably the culprit because the mac and the sonicwall aren't overlapping from what I can see.

You should be able to disable DHCP on the firewall, but you'll probably want to have a device ready to test each of the separate wireless and wired networks just to ensure that the remaining DHCP server can still be reached, especially since you're in an "undocumented networks and maybe also vlans" kind of situation.

The IP ranges on the firewall aren't covering the IP of the device I saw that had a conflict, so it probably isn't the firewall? And it's only happened like, three times over the course of a month. But it does keep occasionally happening (with different devices) so I figured something must be setup wrong. Really need to get the AD up and running so we can move all the DNS over to that server and have it in one nice easy to figure out location.
    At which point I will write down what everything is and where it goes. And I will put it in multiple places.

Good, though having documentation in multiple places is a good way to have outdated copies floating around.

A given agent should be able to tell you the IP of its DHCP server (ipconfig/all in Windows and ifconfig in Linux terminal). If you're seeing different IPs, that will confirm a rogue DHCP server and give you a hint as to where to find the culprit. If you're seeing IP address conflicts and both devices are getting their IP from your server, then it indicates a problem with the DHCP server issuing the same address to multiple clients, which is a bit trickier to resolve.

Okay so, apparently this is still happening. and I'm home sick and getting emails about it. Luckily it only seems to happen to two devices at a time, but definitely needs fixing. So as a first step, I just need to track down both devices and figure out what IP the DHCP server has? In talking to the person who helped me setup our linux DNS, it sounds like that is not configured to run as DHCP, so I should be able to narrow it down once I do that. And then maybe buy a book/course on networking. And get that AD thing rolling so I can get it all in one spot.

While it's a seriously outside chance, don't rule out two devices with the same MAC address.

I've seen it at least 3 times in my career, and it's always been Apple devices.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

"Are you a great team player who excels at getting it done yourself?! Come join a family that prioritizes work/life balance and kills it day in and day out, 24/7!!"

Fuck... You...

I think it's important to prioritize a work-life balance. Usually that concept is used by assholes to justify giving people more work than they can do in a single day. I am a STRONG believer in the 8-8-8 rule. 8 hours of work, 8 hours of play, 8 hours of sleep.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Companies talking like work-life balance are like teenagers talking about sex. The more they talk about it, the less of it they have.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    That_Guy wrote: »

Fuck... You...

I think it's important to prioritize a work-life balance. Usually that concept is used by assholes to justify giving people more work than they can do in a single day. I am a STRONG believer in the 8-8-8 rule. 8 hours of work, 8 hours of play, 8 hours of sleep.

I thought it was 12-4-4-4 12 hours of work, 4 hours of commute because you can't afford to live where you're actually employed, 4 hours of sleep, and 4 hours of 'life balance' (breakfast, dinner, getting ready for work, getting ready for bed, etc).

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Fuck... You...

I have a strong aversion to this culture of "busy", where if you don't always look late for an appointment, then they can throw some more work your way. Never mind that being always like that doesn't make you actually productive.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Companies talking like work-life balance are like teenagers talking about sex. The more they talk about it, the less of it they have.

That's when you work unpaid OT but there's a foosball table and if we go public in 8 years you might walk with a $10k bonus, right?

• Options

I'm 100% going to use this the next time I go to an interview.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

It's a well-worn cliche in consulting firms that they are shoemakers without shoes - they recommend things that they themselves not only don't do, but go out of their way to avoid. A company that sells employee surveys, for example, won't regularly survey themselves and if they do, won't do anything with the results. See also: management consulting, company culture consulting, diversity consulting.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

It's a well-worn cliche in consulting firms that they are shoemakers without shoes - they recommend things that they themselves not only don't do, but go out of their way to avoid. A company that sells employee surveys, for example, won't regularly survey themselves and if they do, won't do anything with the results. See also: management consulting, company culture consulting, diversity consulting.

DevOps consulting...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I could write a thesis paper on the amount of bullshit I've experienced in the past year related to Azure and Microsoft support.

• Options
    I could write a thesis paper on the amount of bullshit I've experienced in the past year related to Azure and Microsoft support.

Do you sell fertilizer?

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

It's a well-worn cliche in consulting firms that they are shoemakers without shoes - they recommend things that they themselves not only don't do, but go out of their way to avoid.

I'm feeling attacked.

• Options
    Cog wrote: »

It's a well-worn cliche in consulting firms that they are shoemakers without shoes - they recommend things that they themselves not only don't do, but go out of their way to avoid.

I'm feeling attacked.

If it helps, I work in consulting. So I speak from firsthand experience. =P

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I question the authenticity of that Rogue Brewing IT job posting.
    Take a look at this one, sourced directly from Rogue
    https://hire.withgoogle.com/public/jobs/roguecom/view/P_AAAAAACAAFJCaddk_wcv5A
    It is written normally, professionally, and does not include of the mocked "Rogue" talk.

Maybe that was an actual job posting at one point, but it sure doesn't seem like how they are running themselves now. It's certainly possible that they're a shitshow to work for (I haven't heard anything about working for them), but nothing in the application process indicates it.

chromdom on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    chromdom wrote: »
    I question the authenticity of that Rogue Brewing IT job posting.
    Take a look at this one, sourced directly from Rogue
    https://hire.withgoogle.com/public/jobs/roguecom/view/P_AAAAAACAAFJCaddk_wcv5A
    It is written normally, professionally, and does not include of the mocked "Rogue" talk.

Maybe that was an actual job posting at one point, but it sure doesn't seem like how they are running themselves now. It's certainly possible that they're a shitshow to work for (I haven't heard anything about working for them), but nothing in the application process indicates it.

i have a feeling they cleaned their act up a lot after the shitty owner died. here's a 2015 interview with the new owner (the son of the shitty one) where he's asked about that specific posting and does not deny that it was real
    Your brewery has been at this for 27 years and there is a segment of the craft beer community that hasn’t been happy with Rogue’s development. They point to the company’s business culture reflected in hiring notices, they point to a story that surfaced on Reddit several years ago about a disgruntled former employee’s experience during your father’s tenure and they point to the focus on brand and the pricing of your beer. How do you process that criticism and how much of it can you chalk up to lessons learned through experience that some of your younger contemporaries and competitors may not have?

Joyce: I’d just as soon people come to our pubs, come to our brewery and come to my office like you are and decide for themselves what we’re all about. If you come here and don’t like what we’re doing, I guess that’s OK, but I would challenge people to check it out for themselves.

I know who we are and what we are, how we operate, how we treat our people and how we honor the spirit of the brand. I just tell people that if they have any questions, anyone can walk in here any day of the week and see what we’re all about. I know what’s out there and I know what it is, but I’d tell people to come check us out and see if we’re big, see if we’re corporate and see if we’re mean.

The key terms are “ex-employees” and “disgruntled employees.” These are people that obviously have an ax to grind for whatever sets of reasons and I don’t spend a lot of time figuring out who they are and what their issues were. You can’t run a business that way. I just know the integrity of what we do here, and that’s all I can worry about.
    note: the links in the quote are taken directly from the source article. the second one, in particular, really has a lot of details about how shitty the previous owner was

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    That makes a lot of sense

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    But he didn’t directly address the question there...

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    In addition to the death of one of the co-owners, they got a new CEO last year.

I think they might be genuinely trying to clean up their act.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    I maintain that their beer sucks

• Options
    In addition to the death of one of the co-owners, they got a new CEO last year.

I think they might be genuinely trying to clean up their act.

Yeah I guess the original guy was kind of crazy in general.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I maintain that their beer sucks

Meh, it's fine. They'll always have a special place as being one of the real early non-macro options that was widely available across the country even if I wouldn't really turn their way now.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Rogue did an AMA on Reddit last week, and it doesn't inspire confidence

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
  • Options
    RIP in pieces rogue

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    VPN PSK's can't have ? or + in them.

The more you know.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    if you never register microsoft products you never really get pestered with audits

I wonder if that worked for Rogue Brewing

After a quick google search, I've determined they are the Amy's Baking Company of microbreweries.

Haha holy shit their IT posting.

https://m.imgur.com/cfGFm5j

Holy shit. All that for less than 50k?

If that job posting was offering a quarter million dollar salary, I'd STILL want to punch whoever wrote it in the nuts until the bones in my hands break.

• Options
    Even if they offered that kind of money, anyone who would actually be worth it could smell the bullshit from a mile away. Like, I would legit just use it to set a starting salary, and I would start looking for another job 3 months into that one.

• Options
    Okay, sanity check please

We're setting up a VPN tunnel to another company.

The other company gave us a peer IP address (a public IPv4 address) but didn't tell us what traffic to tunnel

They keep saying, "we will initiate traffic to you"

Okay, but... I need to route the return traffic to the VPN tunnel, so I need to know what subnets or hosts to put my routing table rules

I'm trying to ask them for that three or four different ways (by email) and they keep saying "we will initiate traffic to you" or "you need to allow traffic to the tunnel" without specifying any IPs or subnets to route back to them.

Am I the stupid one here?

• Options
    Okay, sanity check please

We're setting up a VPN tunnel to another company.

The other company gave us a peer IP address (a public IPv4 address) but didn't tell us what traffic to tunnel

They keep saying, "we will initiate traffic to you"

Okay, but... I need to route the return traffic to the VPN tunnel, so I need to know what subnets or hosts to put my routing table rules

I'm trying to ask them for that three or four different ways (by email) and they keep saying "we will initiate traffic to you" or "you need to allow traffic to the tunnel" without specifying any IPs or subnets to route back to them.

Am I the stupid one here?

Nope, you're dealing with some rogues.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Windows Admin Center is neat but Jesus is it a fucking pain in the ass to get set up on older systems. It seems to have really quirky and inconsistent authentication issues too.

Storage Migration Service is fucking civilization though.

Cog on
This discussion has been closed.