Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Sysadmin] Improper Wireshark use has restarted the editor wars.

EntaruEntaru Goddess with a bladeRegistered User regular
Below is a compilation of links we've found to be helpful for Sys Admins (capitalized because we're important, like a towel):

AntiVirus/AntiMalware Tools:
Networking Tools:
Miscellaneous Tools:
  • APC Power Estimator - estimates your power needs based on devices, which you can specify
  • Dependency Walker - scans modules and builds a hierarchical dependency tree
  • Greenshot -- Screenshot + utilies
  • HJSplit -- Split/Join files
  • Jing - Screenshot + utilities
  • Notepad++ -- Enhanced Notepad (e.g., color coding)
  • WinDirStat -- File space analysis
  • HTAccess Redirect Generator -- Generate Redirects
  • Hostsman Manage Multiple Hosts files from one utility.
  • PC Decrapifier inventories all the bloatware (HP/Dell Utilities, etc) on a PC based on user-driven feedback and recommendations and removes them sans-uninstallers. Great for cleaning useless shit off out-of-the-box PCs.
  • Recuva undelete software that restores deleted files, as well as files on damaged or freshly formatted drives. Paid corporate licensing but free for personal use wink wink nudge nudge.
  • NirSoft has utilities to do nearly anything you want to do from sniffing passwords out of FTP/HTTP/SMTP traffic on your network to editing Outlook NK2 Autocomplete files to retrieving your Windows/Office product key to a nice viewer for BSOD minidump files.
  • Screen Connect Free Use this to create a free tech support portal for yourself for personal use.
  • VM for learning Puppet
  • MobaXterm Super handy terminal program. Has local Cygwin shell and can spin up a lot of servers. Get it.
  • Check to see if it's Thursday. It may or may not be.

Printer Configuration tools:

0amLr1Ul.png

Ransomware/Cryptoware information sheet

Stress Relief Tools:

...more to come

last updated 5.25.2017

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
Entaru on
mysticjuicer
«13456799

Posts

  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    tldr: fuck backups

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    EntaruShadowfireLD50Cog
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I've been on the lookout for a new job, and today I saw a listing for a position at a bank that's looking for extensive nosql experience. I'm pretty sure they mean mongo, and I am worried.

  • Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    They could be referring to a thousand Excel spreadsheets put together by someone who quit ten years ago.

    Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
    LD50Thawmuschrishallett83mysticjuicer
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    They could be referring to a thousand Excel spreadsheets put together by someone who quit ten years ago.

    I already said mongo.

    DarkewolfeBaron DirigibleEntaruwunderbarThawmuschrishallett83mysticjuicer
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Shit that I really hate.

    "Yeah, X configuration on our network is preventing that specific, granular thing you're trying to accomplish this one time." -me

    "Well, just turn the whole thing off." -developers.

    No, fuck you. Explain what the fuck you're trying to do so I can find a less stupid way to do it.

    What is this I don't even.
    FeralDrovekEntaruThawmusmysticjuicerAustinP0027Stabbity Style
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    On the topic of backups, I’ve learned to like NetWorker. Maybe it’s Stockholm Syndrome.

  • EntaruEntaru Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    My boss and the new guy are such conservative blow hards.

    Get out of my face with that shit

    Edit: and my other co-worker who I know is also Liberal is smiling and nodding because it's his boss.

    Yeah, no. I am not going to be an asshole but I am also not going to respond in the affirmative to shitty politics.

    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    I usually try to find one minor point that I can back up with facts and just stick to that.

    I'm not going to engage on who to vote for for President, but I will engage on something like the effect of the minimum wage on jobs.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    EntaruShadowfire
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    Or if they turn bigoted, I'll personalize it. I'll mention that I have good friends who are trans or gay or whatnot.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    EntaruRandomHajileDarkewolfe
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So remember that guy that said mysql was less secure than mssql because it was open source?

    Apparently my boss forgot all about my disdain for him and had a lunch meeting with them again because he's so hard dicked for making an iphone app and now he wants me to talk to him again. I have no idea how to tell my boss that I don't really have much professional respect for the guy and I don't really want to talk to him.

    Ladies.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    So remember that guy that said mysql was less secure than mssql because it was open source?

    Apparently my boss forgot all about my disdain for him and had a lunch meeting with them again because he's so hard dicked for making an iphone app and now he wants me to talk to him again. I have no idea how to tell my boss that I don't really have much professional respect for the guy and I don't really want to talk to him.

    I'd say that he has said things about cybersecurity that are factually untrue, that you'd take his advice with a grain of salt, and that if he builds an iPhone app you should have it independently audited.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    EntaruLD50Thawmuschrishallett83
  • BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    They bought a new ESXi server, the seller came in and did the initial set up. And now... I'm admin on it?

    Day 1. Google: how 2 Vsphere.


    LD50FeralDarkewolfe
  • EntaruEntaru Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    They bought a new ESXi server, the seller came in and did the initial set up. And now... I'm admin on it?

    Day 1. Google: how 2 Vsphere.

    That is how 99% of admins end up with the stuff they run.

    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    LD50wunderbarThawmusRandomHajileInfidelArcSynCogFeralDarkewolfeGilbert0chrishallett83lwt1973Capt HowdyAntoshka
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    So remember that guy that said mysql was less secure than mssql because it was open source?

    Apparently my boss forgot all about my disdain for him and had a lunch meeting with them again because he's so hard dicked for making an iphone app and now he wants me to talk to him again. I have no idea how to tell my boss that I don't really have much professional respect for the guy and I don't really want to talk to him.

    I'd say that he has said things about cybersecurity that are factually untrue, that you'd take his advice with a grain of salt, and that if he builds an iPhone app you should have it independently audited.

    I suspect he's going to throw his hands up in the air and go "he's a friend of a college and he's been in business for 25 years he knows what he's doing"

    Ladies.
    Thawmus
  • EntaruEntaru Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I once walked by the VMware admin talking shit about Linux.

    He now shuts up when I am around.

    Entaru on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    ThawmusFeralDarkewolfe
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx And I said, hol up Registered User regular
    Just had to break it to a client that their network of shitty PC's are failing because their Windows 7 Embedded image is shit.

    We have another cluster of the same PC's running our image of Windows 7 which are not crapping out, but their cluster of 500+ PC's with the image are doing so at an alarming rate and are getting replaced at the rate of 12 per day.

    Make. Time.
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I once walked by the VMware ad in talking shit about Linux.

    He now shuts up when I am around.

    Isn't vmware's kernel at least partially pirated from linux?

    EntaruThawmusNaphtali
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    BSoB wrote: »
    They bought a new ESXi server, the seller came in and did the initial set up. And now... I'm admin on it?

    Day 1. Google: how 2 Vsphere.

    That is how 99% of admins end up with the stuff they run do their job.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    ThawmusEntaruArcSynFeralDarkewolfechrishallett83
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Wouldn't surprise me if they capitalized off of Bochs or something.

    Ladies.
  • ThawmusThawmus Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I once walked by the VMware admin talking shit about Linux.

    He now shuts up when I am around.

    I get so annoyed with that shit, especially from users. Like, okay, sure, maybe you don't like running a linux desktop. That's fine, I'm open to the idea that people have preferences. It's fine. But don't talk about shit you know nothing about.

    And a VMware admin? Okay, so I take it he's never touched the CLI? Or would he need help spelling that?
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    BSoB wrote: »
    They bought a new ESXi server, the seller came in and did the initial set up. And now... I'm admin on it?

    Day 1. Google: how 2 Vsphere.

    That is how 99% of admins end up with the stuff they run do their job.

    I have a user who calls me every week for help, and she called me last week to tell me, "Hey just letting you know, I fixed my own problem this week by googling it, and I thought you'd be proud of me."

    And I was, and I told her as much. And then I told her not to get too carried away with that googling shit or she might run me out of a job. She laughed.

    I didn't.

    steam_sig.png
    EntaruRandomHajilemysticjuicerMugsleyCapt Howdy
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if they capitalized off of Bochs or something.

    I mean, there is/was a gpl violation lawsuit of them pirating part of the linux kernel.

    EntaruThawmus
  • EntaruEntaru Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    When vmware started out it was on top of the Linux Kernel.

    Eventually they just "wrote" their own so they didn't have to share the changes.

    I mean some of it is theirs but I am sure not all of it.

    Entaru on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Thawmus
  • ThawmusThawmus Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Because heaven forbid you might have to give a little to the community that you freely took from.

    Ubiquiti and Mikrotik have been in hot water for this shit too.

    Thawmus on
    steam_sig.png
    Entaru
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The problem isn't giving back to the community, it's that the OSS community likes to jerk off to the idea of viral copyleft.

    A lot of them think GPL gives them full access to any derivative stuff that is born from their licenses, or built upon the license which is often times not true. Something like linux though, there are plenty of kernels that are *nix compatible that could be dropped in that aren't GPL too. So they likely just took a BSD kernel and said fuck y'all we're not Open Sourcing our VM stuff.

    They probably didn't touch the kernel's code anyways (at least not in a meaningful way to the kernel outside of their proprietary stuff)

    Ladies.
  • EntaruEntaru Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    Bowen is on my list.

    *invokes the warrior spirit of RMS*

    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Darkewolfemysticjuicer
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I just think GNU and Linus are giant fuckfaces and I will do anything to see them get taken off the diefied platforms people put them on.

    BSD is the better license

    change my mind

    bowen on
    Ladies.
  • EntaruEntaru Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    *chants*

    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    mysticjuicer
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    also linus is a really fucky internet troll

    that's your savior

    hth

    Ladies.
  • ThawmusThawmus Registered User regular
    Torvalds has about as much to do with Linux as John McAfee has to do with McAfee. Some people deify him, sure, but I'd also say those people are old farts who still think he's relevant.

    BSD is pretty great though.

    And BusyBox is responsible for making a lot of shit work.

    steam_sig.png
    Entaru
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    He's still very much in charge of the kernel and the code that's pushed into it.

    That's much more than McAfee could even dream about in 2018.

    Ladies.
  • EntaruEntaru Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    I actually don't care about the project manager of my kernel too much.

    GPL and LGPL have their purpose just as BSD does.

    My savior is the darkness in my soul.

    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Thawmus
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I do have respect for him as a programmer.

    But man his people skills make even me frustrated.

    Ladies.
  • EntaruEntaru Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    I agree Linus can be a jerk.

    At least RMS doesn't have control of the kernel.

    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    ThawmusFrem
  • ThawmusThawmus Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    He's still very much in charge of the kernel and the code that's pushed into it.

    That's much more than McAfee could even dream about in 2018.

    He's not in charge of anything. He's still actively developing it, but he's not alone and he doesn't get final say, he has to argue with other smarter people.

    The lead dev for systemd has way more control now over Linux's destiny than anyone else does, not to mention how much control RHEL and Debian have over everything. Shit, the whole world blew up when Debian adopted systemd, that was just the sign of the end times.

    And the lead dev for systemd is a way bigger jerk than Torvalds is, to the point that even Torvalds has called him out for it.

    steam_sig.png
    Infidel
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I can definitely agree with linus there.

    Ladies.
    Thawmus
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    I once walked by the VMware admin talking shit about Linux.

    He now shuts up when I am around.

    I get so annoyed with that shit, especially from users. Like, okay, sure, maybe you don't like running a linux desktop. That's fine, I'm open to the idea that people have preferences. It's fine. But don't talk about shit you know nothing about.

    And a VMware admin? Okay, so I take it he's never touched the CLI? Or would he need help spelling that?
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    BSoB wrote: »
    They bought a new ESXi server, the seller came in and did the initial set up. And now... I'm admin on it?

    Day 1. Google: how 2 Vsphere.

    That is how 99% of admins end up with the stuff they run do their job.

    I have a user who calls me every week for help, and she called me last week to tell me, "Hey just letting you know, I fixed my own problem this week by googling it, and I thought you'd be proud of me."

    And I was, and I told her as much. And then I told her not to get too carried away with that googling shit or she might run me out of a job. She laughed.

    I didn't.

    If it ever came down to it, I'd say the biggest difference between a user who Google's the answer, and the sysadmin who Google's the answer; is the sysadmin knows which results are the ones that will help and which will make the problem worse.

    The amount of scary misleading information out there is unbelievable.

    RkyXDNV.pngjswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    EntaruThawmusFeralLaOs
  • ThawmusThawmus Registered User regular
    Though I would say nobody is a bigger asshole than the lead dev for FreeRADIUS.

    No, wait, scratch that, Adam from Observium. Definitely the biggest asshole out there.

    steam_sig.png
  • EntaruEntaru Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I don't care if I have to hop 5 times I am not logging into a windows server to manage a Linux box.

    Entaru on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Thawmus
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I don't care if I have to hop 5 times I am not logging into a windows server to manage a Linux box.

    Manage all your servers via telnet using one of those old ibm dummy terminals from the 70s.

    Auralynxbowen
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    bowen wrote: »
    He's still very much in charge of the kernel and the code that's pushed into it.

    That's much more than McAfee could even dream about in 2018.

    McAfee is too busy doing drugs and fucking whales.

    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
    ThawmusbowenwunderbarInfidelShadowfirechrishallett83ironsizide
This discussion has been closed.