As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Yeah, even if it was against a depleted Golden State roster Luka just lit them up like a torch.

depleted is underselling how not an nba team golden state is right now heh.

any time you're flirting with the forfeit rules, things aren't going well.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Speaking of dunking over people.....

jsvq09gfabl1.png

Also I thoroughly appreciated the joke that with Doncic's win over Golden State today he has finally proved that he can win against college level talent.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Yeah, even if it was against a depleted Golden State roster Luka just lit them up like a torch.

I mean, we all know that they're just tanking, so they appear to be a lot worse off than they actually are ("YOU get an injury! YOU get an injury! Everybody gets injuries!!!!"). But still, they've had a bunch of bad luck, too.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Bucks beat Dame-less Blazers by 10.

On the plus side for Blazers, Melo has 18 pts, 7 boards.

• Options
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Yikes.

Boston Celtics point guard Kemba Walker has been diagnosed with concussion-like symptoms after being stretchered from the court late in the second quarter of Friday night's game in Denver. He was transported to a local hospital for further evaluation, the team announced.

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28145944/sources-nba-considering-reseeding-conference-finalists-postseason-play-in?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

NBA NBPA in talks for major season changes:
    - Reseed the final 4 teams without regard for conference
    - reduction of the regular season to 78 games
    - a 30 team mid season tournament in the post Thanksgiving period
    - expanding the number of playoff slots by 2 per conference and having a 4 team play in tournament for the final two seeds

Carpy on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Maybe it's just recency bias from how interesting the Western conference race for seeds 5-8 have been the past couple of years, but I actually like the current playoff structure?

Also throwing in a random tournament early in the year for no real reason other than "hey, watch this!" feels dumb.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Idk how any eastern conference owner would accept extra western conference playoff teams every year, because that’s what would happen here.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    The play-in proposal is this: two four-team tournaments featuring the seventh, eighth, ninth and 10th seeds in each conference. The seventh seed would host the eighth seed, with the winner of that single game earning the seventh spot, league sources said.

The ninth seed would host the 10th seed, with the winner of that game facing the loser of the 7-vs.-8 matchup for the final playoff spot.

Same number of teams per conference, just changing how you get the 7&8 seeds.

I think the reseeding is to try to fix things like the 2018 finals. I'm not sure that having the decisive game/series be in the semis is an actual problem needing fixing.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

I mean, we all know that they're just tanking, so they appear to be a lot worse off than they actually are ("YOU get an injury! YOU get an injury! Everybody gets injuries!!!!"). But still, they've had a bunch of bad luck, too.

ARE they just tanking? Are we sure this is some sort of strategy and they're not just actually completely fucked?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

ARE they just tanking? Are we sure this is some sort of strategy and they're not just actually completely fucked?

they're fucked for this season so might as well tank. they have their first round pick, never know what could happen. could end up being a spurs tim duncan situation and they use this pick to ride out another 10 years of dominance.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ph blake wrote: »
    Maybe it's just recency bias from how interesting the Western conference race for seeds 5-8 have been the past couple of years, but I actually like the current playoff structure?

Also throwing in a random tournament early in the year for no real reason other than "hey, watch this!" feels dumb.

It's totally to generate more revenue for teams that are stuck in the middle of the pack (teams that miss the playoffs but not bad enough to get a decent draft pick). Pro soccer has several tournaments during the season (in league and out), I wouldn't be surprised to see NBA eventually do something similar.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The NBA regular season is basically meaningless already so a fun tournament sounds cool

Honestly the NBA is cool and has a ton of international appeal and I’m all for them giving up the American style, long, boring, and meaningless regular season for more “events” sprinkled throughout.

• Options
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »

Agreed. The tournament, reeks of the NBA, copying the oversaturation of, "Pointless Tourney Games" The NCAA version has been shoving down our throats the past decade.

• Options
    One short of NBA record set last season by Klay Thompson.

• Options
    Hornets with the advanced tanking maneuvers

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    With Dame back and Melo in the lineup, the Blazers can't even beat the Cavs...

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Melo is a net negative

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So uh
    According to the commentators that was the first time Embiid has been shut out in a regular season game?
    What’s worse, it wasn’t even against a top-10 team (according to ESPN)

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    So uh
    According to the commentators that was the first time Embiid has been shut out in a regular season game?

The same day Jim Butts said he was the best player in the NBA

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    So uh

The reason being: Marc Gasol is Embiid's mortal nemesis

Here's a graph from the playoffs last year

ywua1tnw2l8f.png

• Options
    Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    Oof, Drummond my guy. Gettin topped by Cowboy Cody and Enes Kanter not the best look.

• Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Averaging 16 a game on 16 shots...

Ooof

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28145944/sources-nba-considering-reseeding-conference-finalists-postseason-play-in?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

NBA NBPA in talks for major season changes:
    - Reseed the final 4 teams without regard for conference
    - reduction of the regular season to 78 games
    - a 30 team mid season tournament in the post Thanksgiving period
    - expanding the number of playoff slots by 2 per conference and having a 4 team play in tournament for the final two seeds

Damn, they've finally almost realized what all the NA sports should do. Take a page from the model every other country uses for soccer and have a full-league cup running alongside the regular season. Destroy the notion of playoffs for a better future!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Whomever designed the Mavs uniforms in this game should be fired.

• Options
    He also sets a screen after the dish

Doncic is amazing

• Options
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    I don't see why people would describe a midseason tournament as "pointless". The point of it, just the like the point of making the playoffs, winning a championship, getting MVP, or any other sports related goal, is competition and glory. Why is midseason competition inherently pointless but end of season is not?

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    burbo wrote: »
    I don't see why people would describe a midseason tournament as "pointless". The point of it, just the like the point of making the playoffs, winning a championship, getting MVP, or any other sports related goal, is competition and glory. Why is midseason competition inherently pointless but end of season is not?

How much health of your players are you willing to sacrifice for a baby tournament?

• Options
    It's part of the regular season, so at least as much as you'd put into that.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Blazers starting to roll during home game stretch.

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    beating the bulls by 4 at home is not necessarily what I'd call "starting to roll"

This discussion has been closed.