As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Listen, the Blazers were losing to everyone recently. Any wins in a row is rolling for them.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I mean, yeah, but also the first thing I do when Harden puts up numbers is go and see how many free throws he took/made. (It was 20/23 this game)

He even elbows a defender out of the way in one of the highlight clips while the announcer says "how cagey."

• Options
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    He’s really good at changing speeds and using his body to get his man into bad position to defend him

He’s 20

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    burbo wrote: »
    I don't see why people would describe a midseason tournament as "pointless". The point of it, just the like the point of making the playoffs, winning a championship, getting MVP, or any other sports related goal, is competition and glory. Why is midseason competition inherently pointless but end of season is not?

How much health of your players are you willing to sacrifice for a baby tournament?

Well, the babyness of the tournament is inherently tied to how much people compete over it. Just like everything else. Every thing about sports is arbitrary and pointless until people decide that it matters. So, if you like sports, like competition, like the fun, why go ahead and degrade it all ahead of time.

If fans care, players will care, and vice versa. If fans and players care, it will matter, regardless of when it takes place. By not caring, people are not observing a pointlessness, but actually causing it.

So yeah, a needlessly philosophical way of saying that I would dig a midseason tournament.

• Options
    Siakam outscored the entire Jazz starting line up at half time.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Play of the game goes to Ibaka and VanVleet though

• Options
    Amazes me how many boards he gets at that position.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    they then lost by 2 in double ot.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    they then lost by 2 in double ot.

I THOUGHT YOU WERE FUCKING JOKING

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Zion will be out longer then originally expected
    I'm not thinking he will be Oden 2.0 but man this kind of shit does not give me confidence

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    All these stories that Houston is seeding about the NBA overturning the result is just posturing, yeah? Because as bad as that call is reversing the outcome of a game because of a bad call with over 7 minutes of regulation left is infinitely more dumb.

Didn't they try this after a WCF game last year?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I can't see them ever reversing a game after its over.

The precedent that would set would cause all sorts of problems.

Refs fuck up. They're only humans with money on the games.

• Options
    From what I gathered, they had 30 seconds to challenge the call but spent the entire time bitching to the refs instead.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Kings had two losses this season where the refs basically admitted they fucked up in that "last two minutes" review, and they ended up losing by 2 points. It's quite annoying, but it happens.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

Kings had two losses this season where the refs basically admitted they fucked up in that "last two minutes" review, and they ended up losing by 2 points. It's quite annoying, but it happens.

Didn’t this happen with the Lakers/Mavs too? The after game report said that it should have been a foul on the final play.

So I can’t see this happening. They were still up at least ten when the dunk happened.

Weird call regardless but they’ve lived off them for years, it’s hard to feel sympathy.

• Options
    They’ve replayed games from certain times before. I doubt they will just because it was so long beforehand, but the precedent exists

The play was unchallengeable according to the challenge rules afaik.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    From what I gathered, they had 30 seconds to challenge the call but spent the entire time bitching to the refs instead.

Not according to D'Antoni:
    D'Antoni said he was initially told the Harden dunk hit him and was offensive goaltending. He said he challenged that and was told no, it was not goaltending but went out off Harden, so he challenged that. Officials, D'Antoni said, told him he could not challenge.

This was corroborated by the NBA report:

D'Antoni: I challenge!
    Refs: You can't challenge that, it's offensive goaltending.
    Five seconds later...
    Refs: Oh wait our bad it's not actually goaltending it's, uh, out-of-bounds or something? But yeah you can't challenge that, either.
    D'Antoni: Whatever it is, I challenge the play!
    Refs go off and try to figure out what the fuck they actually did.
    2 minutes later...
    Refs: So yeah we looked at it and actually the ball went in and you totally could've challenged the play.
    D'Antoni: I want to challenge the fucking play!
    Refs: Yeah but you only had 30 seconds to challenge so sucks to be you your time is up.

• Options
    thats a westbrook walking down the court level travel, to say nothing of the hilarious double dribble

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Long time ago I played city league ball and the team I was on was brand new and bad. Half the team had zero experience and our first game a new guy subbed in and when the ball went to him he just ran (without dribbling) down the court for the instant travel whistle.
    Guy actually turned out to be a decent low post player after learning basic rules

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    If you’re wondering how the Lakers/Jazz game went, Dwight hit a three.

This team has been entertaining to watch, I must say.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
  • Options
    Starting to think those damn Lakers are legit.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Speaking of legit - Bucks are on a 14 game winning streak at the moment.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    that one moment when the Hawks were 2-0

• Options
    trae young is the worst qualified player in the nba by defensive metrics afaik.

pretty hard to win games if your best offensive player can't be on the floor without giving up easy points.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Is Hield going to be the best Oklahoma dude in the NBA this season?

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Oh and about "Lakers are legit" - how? I mean, sure, they have LeBron and Davis, but what else? Isn't the rest a bunch of scrubs?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    ...they're on top of the standings right now?

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Oh and about "Lakers are legit" - how? I mean, sure, they have LeBron and Davis, but what else? Isn't the rest a bunch of scrubs?

They also have a top 5 offense, a top 3 defense, and the GOAT Alex Caruso.

But really, it turns out that when you have Lebron and AD, it makes the game easier for the other players, who can then just play to their strengths. Take Dwight Howard for example - with this team, he obviously knows he’s not the star, and has accepted a role player position, which is causing him to have his best season in years.

I actually think Frank Vogel has done a tremendous job coaching this group. He won’t get CotY, but he basically took an entirely new roster and made it into this juggernaut incredibly quickly, and is doing it without only relying on Lebron and AD.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Frank Vogel honestly does deserve coach of the year tho.

The fact that Lebron hasn’t killed him and replaced him with Jason Kidd is a testament to how good of a job he’s doing coaching and managing Lebron’s horseshit roster.

This discussion has been closed.