Options

28 Weeks Later!

• Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    I think understand what people are saying.

They are piloting a giant spacecraft with a bomb on it. The bomb is really big.

They plan on flying it into the sun and detonating it.

Somehow this lights the sun back up.
    What they're really saying is, it's a fucking film. Not a science documentary. And the stuff you said was dumb. Then again, so was what some other people said. It wouldn't be like lighting gas back on fire, they would theoretically be trying to initiate a chain fusion reaction that would then spread through the remaining hydrogen. This raises other questions but I reiterate, it's a fucking movie.

I agree that it doesn't need to be scientifically valid. We all just accept The Force and Hyperspace in Star Wars, or teleportation and Warp Drives in Star Trek, or whatever else. But this film's premise is just so obviously impossible that it's making people go "I don't buy it" right off the bat, and that's not OK.

NotOK.jpg

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    SA wrote: »
    This sequel looks sort of dumb. I hope its good though. SA loves his zombies.

Katchem_Ash didn't refer to himself in the third person enough, so I'm glad you're helping us to meet that quota.

;-)

Why are we talking about Katchem_Ash?

Because you just referred to yourself in the third person, which he's been doing a hell of a lot lately. It's a stylistic similarity OH MY GOD HE'S YOUR ALT blah blah

Oh, okay then. I sort of started to ignore the Ash threads after the first two.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So is Defender a big poopyhead or what?

Iskander on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    Carnivore wrote: »

What they're really saying is, it's a fucking film. Not a science documentary. And the stuff you said was dumb. Then again, so was what some other people said. It wouldn't be like lighting gas back on fire, they would theoretically be trying to initiate a chain fusion reaction that would then spread through the remaining hydrogen. This raises other questions but I reiterate, it's a fucking movie.

I agree that it doesn't need to be scientifically valid. We all just accept The Force and Hyperspace in Star Wars, or teleportation and Warp Drives in Star Trek, or whatever else. But this film's premise is just so obviously impossible that it's making people go "I don't buy it" right off the bat, and that's not OK.

I just dont see whats so improbable about it.

Sure it is improbable, literally, but its not wild lunacy. The ship itself does look like it was fucking built to visit the sun. Its basically one giant mirror.

Still, I agree. Reigniting the sun might be beyond some peoples imaginations. I think its kinda cool.

REAL SPOILER
    There is a great scene as the final shot of the film, where Sydney is all covered in snow and ice. nad the sun is really dim in the sky. really looked good

no

it's wild lunacy

it just seems like it's possible because it doesn't have people firing fireballs from their hands

No core is wild lunacy. digging to the centre of the earth with a penis shaped laser ship. that protects itself with lasers. and is made from a material which gets stronger the hotter it gets (probably impossible in real science)

not only that, its crewed by ridiculous stereotypes and has a preposterous premise.

sunshine still has that 'impossible science' aspect, but its all presented in a 'could happen' way, where even though reigniting the sun is never going to be real, the film makes it kinda believable.

maybe im not a jaded movie watcher like other people, but i really enjoyed it. and a lot of smack around here from people who havent seen the film.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2007

Sure it is improbable, literally, but its not wild lunacy. The ship itself does look like it was fucking built to visit the sun. Its basically one giant mirror.

Still, I agree. Reigniting the sun might be beyond some peoples imaginations. I think its kinda cool.

REAL SPOILER
    There is a great scene as the final shot of the film, where Sydney is all covered in snow and ice. nad the sun is really dim in the sky. really looked good

no

it's wild lunacy

it just seems like it's possible because it doesn't have people firing fireballs from their hands

No core is wild lunacy. digging to the centre of the earth with a penis shaped laser ship. that protects itself with lasers. and is made from a material which gets stronger the hotter it gets (probably impossible in real science)

not only that, its crewed by ridiculous stereotypes and has a preposterous premise.

sunshine still has that 'impossible science' aspect, but its all presented in a 'could happen' way, where even though reigniting the sun is never going to be real, the film makes it kinda believable.

maybe im not a jaded movie watcher like other people, but i really enjoyed it. and a lot of smack around here from people who havent seen the film.

i'm not saying it's a bad film, i'm saying the premise is complete nonsense

bongi on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

REAL SPOILER

no

it's wild lunacy

i'm not saying it's a bad film, i'm saying the premise is complete nonsense

oh i agree.

it is.

but its damn good despite the incredible plot.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Iskander wrote: »
    So is Defender a big poopyhead or what?

No he has a degree in everything he argues about.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I often make fairly simple points. Sometimes there are minds too simple even for those.

Defender on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    bongi, I may not have mentioned it, but I <3 your Bjork av.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I often make fairly simple points. Sometimes there are minds too simple even for those.

Go back to Africa

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

You're pretty awesome then.

Iskander on
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This sequel looks sort of dumb. I hope its good though. SA loves his zombies.

Katchem_Ash didn't refer to himself in the third person enough, so I'm glad you're helping us to meet that quota.

;-)

Why are we talking about Katchem_Ash?

We cant talk about him anymore. He is That_Which_Must_Not_Be_Named, according to CT.

God shut up already.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oh man you even reported me?

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Hey scarlet.

how about you dont post inline NSFW images in the next thread ok. ass.

What the fuck, do you work in a mosque or something?

"OH NO! I HAVE SEEN HER NECK! I AM FOREVER DOOMED TO THE FIERY PITS OF HELL!"

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Manifest wrote: »
    Hey scarlet.

how about you dont post inline NSFW images in the next thread ok. ass.

What the fuck, do you work in a mosque or something?

"OH NO! I HAVE SEEN HER NECK! I AM FOREVER DOOMED TO THE FIERY PITS OF HELL!"

"GOD IS THE GREATEST"

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Mani, since you're here, can you give me a definitive answer about whether spoilered images are loaded into cache (regardless of whether you open the spoiler) or not?

I have heard many people say both.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    Mani, since you're here, can you give me a definitive answer about whether spoilered images are loaded into cache or not?

Depends on browser. In my browser, they do not seem to load, which I base on this one time that I had a page open for a while, and only when I opened the spoiler tag did the image start to draw itself line-by-line.

Defender on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mani, since you're here, can you give me a definitive answer about whether spoilered images are loaded into cache or not?

Depends on browser. In my browser, they do not seem to load, which I base on this one time that I had a page open for a while, and only when I opened the spoiler tag did the image start to draw itself line-by-line.

What browser are you using?

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Yeah, I have had the same thing happen, but not consistently.

And I don't want to make any assumptions about it, which is why I asked.

naporeon on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Internet Explorer always caches spoilered images.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Spoilers load into IE before you open the spoiler tag.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Guys a car just drove by my house blaring whackity sax.

I bet that must some kind of awesome road trip.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I only use Firefox 1.0.7 (work), and 2.x (home). As well as Netscape 7.0 and Opera somethingorother at work.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I think Annie once said that Opera doesn't load the spoilers. That might have only been on phpbb tho

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Iskander wrote: »

You're pretty awesome then.

More like Earthshaker am I right?

(I'm probably not right)

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think overall I'd be able to suspend disbelief for Sunshine if it were not set during 21st century Earth but in some far-flung setting where things like they are proposing can be considered possible.

...'sall I'm sayin.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Guys a car just drove by my house blaring whackity sax.

I bet that must some kind of awesome road trip.

Was he driving at 3 times the speed limit with 5 other cars chasing him?

Franko on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I have to use IE at work. If they find any other browser installed they remove our admin access, which equates to us being fired.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Don't you work for the government, Cal?

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Internet Explorer always caches spoilered images.

But then, if you use IE you deserve much worse than to be fired.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So all of England was wiped out by rage-runners (or however you want to designate the zombies in 28 Days/Weeks Later) as evidenced by the "youngest person in the country" line and the American soldiers that are occupying London. That sounds like a good setup for a series of books or a miniseries based on the outbreak. I kind of hope someone does something like this.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I think overall I'd be able to suspend disbelief for Sunshine if it were not set during 21st century Earth but in some far-flung setting where things like they are proposing can be considered possible.

...'sall I'm sayin.

I'm pretty sure we have more than 50 years before the sun dies, too :P

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2007
    i don't think the kinds of thing in sunshine would ever be possible
    i just don't think there's any kind of molecular bond strong enough to withstand 1,000,000 K

bongi on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Sheri wrote: »
    Yes'm

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Callius wrote: »
    Yes'm

Well, there you go.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Manifest wrote: »
    But then, if you use IE you deserve much worse than to be fired.
    I have to use IE at work. If they find any other browser installed they remove our admin access, which equates to us being fired.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yes'm

*erases search history, cache and cookies*

lol you see I'm saying Cal can haxx my internet.

ascot on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think Annie once said that Opera doesn't load the spoilers. That might have only been on phpbb tho
    This is correct. Opera does not load spoilered images.
    If you have an ipod or a usb drive, read up on this:
    http://www.democrakey.com/

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

...'sall I'm sayin.

See, now that's a way to get around this stuff. Like Star Wars or LOTR, just make it take place in some faraway setting and tell the viewers in the first 20 minutes of the movie "hey, yeah, there's magic and shit here." Even Star Trek, which uses Earth as part of its setting, just puts us far enough in the future that it's not difficult to go "well it's way in the future, so their understanding of science might be different (and more advanced) than our own."

As long as it's not something ridiculous, it's OK. Light-speed travel? Sure. Spiritual powers and laser swords? OK. Aliens that can breed with humans? Fine. But something as well-understood as the sun? Needing to dig into it and re-light it? Come on. Nobody's gonna believe that.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The point is that you should just not inline NSFW images. Just because someone's using a browser you don't like doesn't mean you can post NSFW stuff because your browser is special and caches differently.

Defender on