Options

28 Weeks Later!

• Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2007
    i'd sleep with defender just because then i could use it to blackmail him into letting me win arguments

bongi on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    Carnivore wrote: »
    blah

B: In the film they mention the bomb they are carrying has the mass of Manhattan Island and took 7 years to mine the entire earths supply of fissile material. Its really fucking huge is the point. Originally Garland wanted it to be the size of Kansas I think, but that was undoable.

blah

Man, what?

They are going to bore a whole into the sun and blow it up, Armageddon style? That's even stupider. After it blows up is something supposed to fuel it to keep the whole sun burning?

Also, lets say this was actually possible, I think the bomb would have to be like 10 times that size for it to work.

As someone said.

Think of the sun as a room full of gas.

And the bomb as the match.

And falling towards to sun accelerates the ship to phenomenal speeds, though they do not intent to bore to the centre of the sun, barely scratching the surface. After all, the outer layers are only 3000 degrees, but getting past the corona is the main undertaking (its like a million degrees)

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2007
    Druhim wrote: »
    The whole idea behind the movie makes no sense.

Solar Winter? Reignite the sun?

I don't think any of that shit is even possible. If the sun died out we would just float away from it because it's made of gas not a giant fiery rock or some shit.
    What the..? Are you really this dumb? What does the fusion reaction taking place have at all to do with the mass of the sun?

It's like this:

If the sun burned out that means there is no gas left to fuel it.

So there is nothing for us to be gravitationally attracted to.

So we would all die and our planet would like, float away.

no because the sun just fuses hydrogen into helium

IT DOESN'T ACTUALLY DESTROY MATTER

BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE

bongi on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fuck, you are right. I have no idea what i'm talking about.

But my bullshit makes way more sense than lets go blow up the sun to make it catch on fire and we can live YAY

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I don't think any of that shit is even possible. If the sun died out we would just float away from it because it's made of gas not a giant fiery rock or some shit.
    What the..? Are you really this dumb? What does the fusion reaction taking place have at all to do with the mass of the sun?

It's like this:

So very wrong.

Please look at the sun on wikipedia as to how it works.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Fuck, you are right. I have no idea what i'm talking about.

But my bullshit makes way more sense than lets go blow up the sun to make it catch on fire and we can live YAY

actually no. you dont seem to be hearing what people are telling you.

they dont intend to blow up the sun.

they dont intend to make it catch on fire.

you are really stupid. come back when you want to enjoy a grown up conversation.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    bongi wrote: »

It's like this:

no because the sun just fuses hydrogen into helium

IT DOESN'T ACTUALLY DESTROY MATTER

BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE

I was looking for a picture of Luke Skywalker yelling THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE

Somehow Google Images found this

I am not complaining

Those things are rude.

firefoxgirl.jpg

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    Man vs nature isn't the problem. It's that the "nature" side is too ridiculous to excuse.

It's based on a theory that is currently in the process of being proven by the CERN labs in Switzerland.

It is also a very awesome movie.

Now you shut up and go see it.

Seriously, people...

Iskander on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Them some ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude titties

Bout the rudest titties I've seen in a dogs age

Javen on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thanks, Firefox.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007

It's like this:

Ok, yeah. You really are that dumb. Do you understand how fusion works? First of all, we're not just talking about burning gas, we're talking about hydrogen being condensed at high pressure (due to the mass of the sun) and then a fusion reaction converting the hydrogen into helium and giving off energy in the process. Most of the mass is conserved in the process, it doesn't just magically disappear. Maybe I'm assuming that you're further along in your education than you actually are. I could understand if you don't know this shit if you're Jr. High or below, but if you're an adult or even in high school this shit is pretty basic and straightforward. Conservation of energy and mass buddy.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    [spoilar] the real film is not about the premise but about the journey and interactions and such[/spoiler]

Of course. Pretty much any film is about something more abstract than the actual plot. I mean, fuck, Meet The Parents was about the discomfort of being an outsider and trying hard to fit in. Some people liked it, whether or not it was Oscar-worthy or whatever, and any value it did have would've been flushed down the crapper if it had just been a gag reel of all the punchlines in the movie without the characters and the setup. What really made the jokes work wasn't Ben Still doing stupid shit, it was Ben Stiller being an exaggeration of a guy who's in a position we've all been in before.

So the film isn't literally about the science of re-igniting the sun. That's fine. And the whole "sun" thing is just Man vs Nature. That's OK too. It's just a stage on which to put characters, it's just a big metaphor. Fine. But it has to be believable! The audience must not be made to go "no fuckin way, that's stupid" at the idea.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I think understand what people are saying.

They are piloting a giant spacecraft with a bomb on it. The bomb is really big.

They plan on flying it into the sun and detonating it.

Somehow this lights the sun back up.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    phonehand i am sorry for the way your thread has turned out

so sorry

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shops

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2007

it's nonsense

but it's not quite as stupid as you thought

bongi on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Shops

So what

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

it's nonsense

but it's not quite as stupid as you thought

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

It's like this:

Ok, yeah. You really are that dumb. Do you understand how fusion works? First of all, we're not just talking about burning gas, we're talking about hydrogen being condensed at high pressure (due to the mass of the sun) and then a fusion reaction converting the hydrogen into helium and giving off energy in the process. Most of the mass is conserved in the process, it doesn't just magically disappear. Maybe I'm assuming that you're further along in your education than you actually are. I could understand if you don't know this shit if you're Jr. High or below, but if you're an adult or even in high school this shit is pretty basic and straightforward. Conservation of energy and mass buddy.

Listen to this otterfaced fishyman.

When you burn fuel, it doesn't just disappear. If you'd like to experiment with this, sit in your garage with the doors and windows shut and just idle your car. If the fuel is actually totally destroyed, you will not notice anything except a temperature increase.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

What they're really saying is, it's a fucking film. Not a science documentary. And the stuff you said was dumb. Then again, so was what some other people said. It wouldn't be like lighting gas back on fire, they would theoretically be trying to initiate a chain fusion reaction that would then spread through the remaining hydrogen. This raises other questions but I reiterate, it's a fucking movie.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Hey scarlet.

how about you dont post inline NSFW images in the next thread ok. ass.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Hey scarlet.

how about you dont post inline NSFW images in the next thread ok. ass.

The day you make an intelligent post is the day those images are NSFW.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Okay fine, maybe I just need to see the movie. It will probably make more sense then.

And I really am stupid about the whole fusion thing, and was definitely pulling shit out of my ass that I thought made sense.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Iskander wrote: »
    Man vs nature isn't the problem. It's that the "nature" side is too ridiculous to excuse.

It's based on a theory that is currently in the process of being proven by the CERN labs in Switzerland.

The theory that the sun, which burns due to incredible amounts of gravity (enough to overcome nuclear forces) could possibly just stop burning and need to git blowed up to re-ignite?

Shit, who writes the grant checks to the CERN? I want some of them free moneys.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Okay fine, maybe I just need to see the movie. It will probably make more sense then.

And I really am stupid about the whole fusion thing, and was definitely pulling shit out of my ass that I thought made sense.
    It's cool dogg. I respect the fact that you didn't get all pissy about it.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    i'd sleep with defender just because then i could use it to blackmail him into letting me win arguments

Haha might want to research that with my current and previous girlfriends.

Defender on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2007

"girl"friends

do you see the point i'm making here

also you said you look like tobey maguire

and if so i'd legitimately sleep with you on account of being cute!

bongi on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Defender has like three degrees in astronomy and physics.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

What they're really saying is, it's a fucking film. Not a science documentary. And the stuff you said was dumb. Then again, so was what some other people said. It wouldn't be like lighting gas back on fire, they would theoretically be trying to initiate a chain fusion reaction that would then spread through the remaining hydrogen. This raises other questions but I reiterate, it's a fucking movie.

I agree that it doesn't need to be scientifically valid. We all just accept The Force and Hyperspace in Star Wars, or teleportation and Warp Drives in Star Trek, or whatever else. But this film's premise is just so obviously impossible that it's making people go "I don't buy it" right off the bat, and that's not OK.

Defender on
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This sequel looks sort of dumb. I hope its good though. SA loves his zombies.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    edited May 2007

"girl"friends

I appreciate that you think I'm cute. I assure you that (with my previous hairstyle) the resemblance was very strong. Cal and Shoe will back this up.

I do believe that you're implying that my girlfriends have all been male because I am gay. Not sure where you got that, but OK.

Defender on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2007

"girl"friends

I appreciate that you think I'm cute. I assure you that (with my previous hairstyle) the resemblance was very strong. Cal and Shoe will back this up.

I do believe that you're implying that my girlfriends have all been male because I am gay. Not sure where you got that, but OK.

no i'm saying they were girls which makes it a different deal

bongi on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    SA wrote: »

Katchem_Ash didn't refer to himself in the third person enough, so I'm glad you're helping us to meet that quota.

;-)

Defender on
  • Options
    Si SenorSi Senor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    [spoilar] the real film is not about the premise but about the journey and interactions and such[/spoiler]

Of course. Pretty much any film is about something more abstract than the actual plot. I mean, fuck, Meet The Parents was about the discomfort of being an outsider and trying hard to fit in. Some people liked it, whether or not it was Oscar-worthy or whatever, and any value it did have would've been flushed down the crapper if it had just been a gag reel of all the punchlines in the movie without the characters and the setup. What really made the jokes work wasn't Ben Still doing stupid shit, it was Ben Stiller being an exaggeration of a guy who's in a position we've all been in before.

So the film isn't literally about the science of re-igniting the sun. That's fine. And the whole "sun" thing is just Man vs Nature. That's OK too. It's just a stage on which to put characters, it's just a big metaphor. Fine. But it has to be believable! The audience must not be made to go "no fuckin way, that's stupid" at the idea.

not what i mean. surely you can learn to overlook the absurdity of the film's premise, and it is absurd, if the film itself is not totally about that. well, this film, from what i have gathered, is barely about that at all.

like a zombie movie. oh yeah, dead walking the streets, yeah, very likely.

Si Senor on
    sigging2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I agree that it doesn't need to be scientifically valid. We all just accept The Force and Hyperspace in Star Wars, or teleportation and Warp Drives in Star Trek, or whatever else. But this film's premise is just so obviously impossible that it's making people go "I don't buy it" right off the bat, and that's not OK.

I just dont see whats so improbable about it.

Sure it is improbable, literally, but its not wild lunacy. The ship itself does look like it was fucking built to visit the sun. Its basically one giant mirror.

Still, I agree. Reigniting the sun might be beyond some peoples imaginations. I think its kinda cool.

REAL SPOILER
    There is a great scene as the final shot of the film, where Sydney is all covered in snow and ice. nad the sun is really dim in the sky. really looked good

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Katchem_Ash didn't refer to himself in the third person enough, so I'm glad you're helping us to meet that quota.

;-)

Why are we talking about Katchem_Ash?

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    edited May 2007

;-)

Because you just referred to yourself in the third person, which he's been doing a hell of a lot lately. It's a stylistic similarity OH MY GOD HE'S YOUR ALT blah blah

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

;-)

We cant talk about him anymore. He is That_Which_Must_Not_Be_Named, according to CT.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2007

I just dont see whats so improbable about it.

Sure it is improbable, literally, but its not wild lunacy. The ship itself does look like it was fucking built to visit the sun. Its basically one giant mirror.

Still, I agree. Reigniting the sun might be beyond some peoples imaginations. I think its kinda cool.

REAL SPOILER
    There is a great scene as the final shot of the film, where Sydney is all covered in snow and ice. nad the sun is really dim in the sky. really looked good

no

it's wild lunacy

it just seems like it's possible because it doesn't have people firing fireballs from their hands

bongi on