As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam - The Gardens Between & CrossCode out Sept 20th!

1939495969799»

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    According to Twitter, the PS1 Classic will come with two controllers, but no AC adapter

So

That's wild

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    According to Twitter, the PS1 Classic will come with two controllers, but no AC adapter

So

That's wild
    Mini USB plug, then?

sig.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Out today on Steam!

The Gardens Between
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/600990/The_Gardens_Between/

Code
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/368340/CrossCode/

Star Control Origins
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/271260/Star_Control_Origins/

Edit: Maybe don't buy SC:O, see below for context

Brolo on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Nighthawks looks interesting, but it seems more like a visual novel than a full on RPG.

Out of curiosity, what are you defining as the difference there?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I have a great nostalgic love for Star Control and would love to play an updated version. But after Stardock's deeply disappointing prior efforts at releasing modern takes on classic games, it's going to take a heck of a lot of near-unanimous praise to get me to actually bite on Star Control Origins.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    also Stardock sued the original developers of Star Control:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/25/17501084/star-control-creators-ford-reiche-stardock-lawsuit-campaign

this is a gofundme link, but I'm posting it entirely because the original creators state their case in their own words, here:

https://www.gofundme.com/help-fred-amp-paul-save-the-universe

plus Brad Wardell (CEO of Stardock) has a bit of a reputation as a piece of shit in general, and I would love to see him take a black eye over something

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    yeah, wardell's been a big name in the gamergate/alt-right horseshit scene for some time and anything bad happening to him would be welcome

• Options
    Yikes

You know what I'm just gonna edit SC out of the title

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    getting back into Archaica: The Path of Light.

It's a neat puzzle-game. Core gameplay is similar to Khet (Laser Chess) or The Talos Principle's laser puzzles: from a top-down perspective, you move mirrors and other devices around a tile-based board. These adjust a laser's path so that it hits crystals of the same color. I'm not very far in, as I got stuck on the first bonus area and took a long break, so I'm not sure how complex the puzzles get.

Scattered around are little orbs which, when collected, can be used to give a hint on the level. The story comes from scanning the field for glowing tablets.

There's some claustrophobia due to the camera height. I haven't found a way to rotate the camera. I can kind of see why they didn't include that option, because of how the aforementioned orbs and tablets are hidden. Still, not a fan of that choice.

Recommended, and I think the current $15 base price is more than fair.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Nighthawks looks interesting, but it seems more like a visual novel than a full on RPG.

Static portraits, menu driven.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Static portraits, menu driven.

I guess I don't see how that makes it not an RPG?

It's just the good parts of an RPG with all the chaff taken out.

• Options
    RPG is too broad a term for this discussion to work, you guys are gonna have to narrow your definitions.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Having horrible flashbacks to the discourse around the term "RPG" with Mass Effect 2

Everything is an RPG, Nothing is an RPG

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Having horrible flashbacks to the discourse around the term "RPG" with Mass Effect 2

Everything is an RPG, Nothing is an RPG

You can argue that every game is an RPG besides maybe some puzzle games.

RPGs have certain troupes though to make game classification possible.

This is not a debate I want to start because I'd rather talk about....literally anything else.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    RPG is too broad a term for this discussion to work, you guys are gonna have to narrow your definitions.

Yeah that's fair. When I think of computer RPGs I'm thinking of Baldur's Gate 2 and expanding outward from there, generally.

In this specific instance I'm thinking of VtM: Bloodlines, because this is also a vampire game. And the idea of being able to play Bloodlines without a bunch of the janky wandering around and often weird-bad combat sounds delightful.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the only game that isn't an RPG is Marble Madness for the NES

• Options
    tsJtch0.jpg
    *This chart is incomplete, simplified, and probably leaves out all your favorite games :)
    https://www.fortressofdoors.com/rpgs-and-suckage/

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Story is the most important component there, in my opinion.

Loot is probably my least important component, ironically.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    There was a time in my life when I would've sent a petulant message to the creator of that chart, "helpfully" pointing out the inaccuracies

I was a cool kid

Edit: That linked article is very interesting, though

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    They have "lone hero" for Persona 4? Isn't the whole point of those games that you form a team?

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

I'm in the same boat, unless the loot is personalized in some way

It's why I'm always loathe to switch weapons in Destiny

Like yeah, that new gun might be better, but I've decided that this gun is my character's signature weapon

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

FUCK

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

I'm in the same boat, unless the loot is personalized in some way

It's why I'm always loathe to switch weapons in Destiny

Like yeah, that new gun might be better, but I've decided that this gun is my character's signature weapon

I hated having to adjust to a slightly different version of the same gun. You get used to the feel and tempo. I was probably the only person who was excited that D2 removed random rolls.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    There was a time in my life when I would've sent a petulant message to the creator of that chart, "helpfully" pointing out the inaccuracies

I was a cool kid

My instant knee jerk reaction was “Shadowrun has XP” and to ignore the rest of the chart.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular

Heat Signature is about to be out for a year and it is getting an update.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    tsJtch0.jpg
    *This chart is incomplete, simplified, and probably leaves out all your favorite games :)
    https://www.fortressofdoors.com/rpgs-and-suckage/

"Acting"?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I would presume that is intended to refer to using a character voice and speaking as your character.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I was a cool kid

My instant knee jerk reaction was “Shadowrun has XP” and to ignore the rest of the chart.

So does GURPS! And arguably Ultima Online also has it (albeit much like you'd get in, say, Runescape). It's just more gradual and specific-to-the-ability than your more typical "get enough XP, +1 level" stuff.
    ...Actually, wait, doesn't Oblivion also run on the UO/Runescape "level up your skills individually" engine?

Personally I'd more gripe that the only included P&P RPGs are D&D, GURPS and Shadowrun, since that gives this weird impression that P&P RPGs are always story-optional. There's a lot of more "storygaming" RPGs out there where acting out some kind of plot is fairly required and you can't just boardgame your way through it.
    I dunno which one is high-profile enough to make the list, though. It's not like you can just toss Polaris on there and expect people to recognize it.
    Also, well, there's totally tabletop RPGs out there that don't have loot or, in fact, any kind of character progression whatsoever. It's a really broad genre.

This discussion has been closed.