As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don [chat]ovanni

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    God damn Val Kilmer was hot in his youth

When is the last doable Val Kilmer screen role?

Spartan?

Heat?

BATMAN FOREVER?

Asking the toughest questions here.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

Spartan?

Heat?

BATMAN FOREVER?

He's definitely hot in Batman Forever and the Saint

Idk I'd need to see his full filmography

• Options
    Hot take this could be his best role

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Oh are we loving on Real Genius?

I love that movie.

I loved it when I was a kid and my love for it has only grown over time.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Edward I am glad you enjoy shakshouka

The rest of these American filth don’t deserve it but

I haven't made it in a while but it's a truly terrific dish

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Ked where are you going

Returned from an interview

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I have never seen nor heard of Real Genius.

I'm baffled as to how it has managed to completely evade my notice for all these years.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    hmm val kilmer never got my juices flowing

• Options
    Man this movie

I love movies with almost no wasted seconds

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    hmm val kilmer never got my juices flowing

more like val kill-my-boner m i rite

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

I'm baffled as to how it has managed to completely evade my notice for all these years.

AHJH VH ITS ON NETFLIX WATCH IT NOW

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Interesting. I know I've waxed fondly about it in chat, as has Jacob.

You should watch it. I think it's on multiple streaming services.

It's an 80s college comedy, but it is far superior to pretty much any other 80s college comedy. I'd put it up there with Ghostbusters and Ferris Bueller on top-tier 80s comedies that still hold up.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options

I can't, I have to go to bed soon. :(

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I <3 Toxic Waste

:whistle: so throw another barrel in the river baybee

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

Spartan?

Heat?

BATMAN FOREVER?

He's definitely hot in Batman Forever and the Saint

Idk I'd need to see his full filmography
    I feel uncomfortable dividing people into doable and not doable

<.<

>.>

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang maybe

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

It's an 80s college comedy, but it is far superior to pretty much any other 80s college comedy. I'd put it up there with Ghostbusters and Ferris Bueller on top-tier 80s comedies that still hold up.

I don't know if GB holds up really. There is a lot of very 80s cringey womanizing

sig.gif
  • Options

I can't, I have to go to bed soon. :(

AHHHH watch it soon!

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    30 Years Later, Real Genius is Still the Geek Solidarity Film That Nerd Culture Deserves
    Emily Asher-Perrin

It’s interesting to me that Revenge of the Nerds, while still full up of the nostalgia that the 80s lends us, is lately being repositioned in the zeitgeist. What was viewed for many years as a bit of harmless fun that waved the banner for nerds everywhere is finally being called out for exactly what it is; an Us vs Them revenge fest that never lets go of racism or misogyny, and damages the image of geek culture more than it applauds for it. That shouldn’t be surprising—RotN was always just a frat house comedy with a thin nerdy gloss applied to it. And that’s fine with me, because that was never my go-to movie for feeling the geeky solidarity.

No, my friends. That movie was Real Genius.
    https://www.tor.com/2015/05/21/30-years-later-real-genius-is-still-the-geek-solidarity-film-that-nerd-culture-deserves/

Same actress:

Judy from Revenge of the Nerds and Jordan from Real Genius

yE6GSPo.jpg

Real-Genius-6.jpg

• Options
    LVI5bev.png

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    omg she has glasses and her hair pulled back eww gross

• Options

I wonder if having a female director informed this movie in a way that makes it hold up

Or if it was just a bomber script

• Options

I don't know if GB holds up really. There is a lot of very 80s cringey womanizing

True. Venkman is a sleazebag. He was meant to be seen as a sleazebag then, but kind of a cute cuddly sleazebag. But that trope doesn't really fly anymore.

Real Genius has a little bit of womanizing, too. It's pretty mild, though. (Mostly just the Tanning Invitational scene.)

• Options
    edited July 2018
    also Ghostbusters's those-darn-beaurocrats-at-the-EPA stuff maybe doesn't play quite as well now

wandering on
  • Options
    OKAY FINE DON'T COMPARE REAL GENIUS TO GHOSTBUSTERS

real genius is still a good movie tho

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    also Ghostbusters's those-darn-beaurocrats-at-the-EPA stuff maybe doesn't play quite as well now
    Isn't that in the sequel

sig.gif
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    ghostbusters is amazing

perfect movie

the old one tho

• Options

I wonder if having a female director informed this movie in a way that makes it hold up

Or if it was just a bomber script

I think so? I admit that I've never seen any of her other films, but a couple of the retrospectives I've read on Real Genius establish her as a creative force.

http://www.pajiba.com/52_films_by_women/real-genius-its-a-moral-imperative-that-we-talk-about-martha-coolidge.php
    While there was obviously a script to start with, Coolidge carries most of the responsibility for the film’s endearing success. Reading up on her career shows that she has always fought to avoid senseless nudity, to make female characters who are independent and who serve their own point and value.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    visiblehowl I did not suggest anything because frankly I don’t know anything about coop games but I am sure whatever you pick zampanov will find a way to fuck it up

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Isn't that in the sequel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3Uy9wsfkok

but I mean it can still be a great movie even if it's not perfect tho

wandering on
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    visiblehowl I did not suggest anything because frankly I don’t know anything about coop games but I am sure whatever you pick zampanov will find a way to fuck it up

I'm counting on it.

Maybe in the next game he'll be able to tell fucking blue from purple.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Isn't that in the sequel

It's in the first one. (Maybe the sequel too, I haven't seen the sequel in a long time.)

vOac4i8l.jpg

William Atherton as EPA agent William Peck, aka "dickless," from Ghostbusters 1.

(Coincidentally, also playing a smug asshole in Real Genius.)

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Okay it is still weird that everyone cheers for Mr. Satan in the DBZ universe. Little kids going "GASP IT'S MR. SATAN I WANT HIS AUTOGRAPH!"

• Options
    mr. satan is the hero we deserve

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Okay it is still weird that everyone cheers for Mr. Satan in the DBZ universe. Little kids going "GASP IT'S MR. SATAN I WANT HIS AUTOGRAPH!"

...is that just because of his name?

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

...is that just because of his name?

Mister is a weird first name

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Hi, I'm Mister Surname. This is my brother Dude and my other brother Guy. My sister Madam is in the car.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Edward I am glad you enjoy shakshouka

The rest of these American filth don’t deserve it but

what the fuck Chu

my bro and his fiancé introduced me to shakira after they got back from fieldwork in Tel Aviv and I loved it!

Havelock2.0 on
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
  • Options
    oh i think i'd also maybe see CHu in Colorado

perhaps

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    /looks left

/looks right

....anime

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
This discussion has been closed.