Options

Everyone is playing [Hollow Knight]

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    I feel like the game is actively mocking me for my key usage

Every single key use is somewhat useful, I feel? It depends on playstyle, though, and there's two that are extremely useful in certain circumstances but maybe less so otherwise.

At least there's enough to go around and none of the simple keys are all that difficult to get.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Fog Canyon
    Quirrel, yeah yeah yeah, let's fucking go.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Fog Canyon
    Quirrel is such a good bug. He's one of my favorite recurring NPCs

• Options
    Late Game stuff (I think?)
    The White Palace is going to kill me, I don't even like Super Meat Boy

• Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    Late Game stuff (I think?)
    The White Palace is going to kill me, I don't even like Super Meat Boy

It gets said in this thread regularly, but the hiveblood charm makes that part of the game much less frustrating.

• Options
    Hiveblood, Grubsong, and Deep Focus.

Infinite retries.

If you have all the Charm Notches, you can then still have room to slot in Longnail, for more forgiving pogo bounces.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Speaking of charms, i read that you can slot in addition charms at the cost of double damage, which is pretty neat

• Options
    Yup. Overcharmed. If you have at least one notch open, and repeatedly try to slot in a charm that is too big, eventually it will slot in anyway, but you will suffer the overcharmed state, which doubles incoming damage.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Fog Canyon
    I wish he got his own dlc, just like Hornet is going to have.

Grimm Troupe:
    Nightmare King Grimm defeated! It took me a few hours of learning to just dodge his attacks, but I finally managed to do so. I landed the last hit while being on my last point of health, so uh, it was intense. One of my most proud moments in gamer's career - I feel like I unlocked Nerd Ultra Instinct.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Fog Canyon
    I wish he got his own dlc, just like Hornet is going to have.
    Don't get your hopes up. There was an (unmet) stretch goal for a third playable character in the kickstarter... but it was Zote.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Those would have been great options but i'm really happy i'll get to play the best character someday

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Couldn't play any more main story stuff because my roommates were downstairs decorating, so I started doing the Grimm DLC.

Fuck this game, how do I get a refund on the Switch.

Radius on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Hiveblood, Grubsong, and Deep Focus.

Infinite retries.

If you have all the Charm Notches, you can then still have room to slot in Longnail, for more forgiving pogo bounces.

Fun Fact: Because Hiveblood and grubsong allow you to get mana (soul) back, while retroactively losing no health in the process, you can potentially go from 2 HP and no mana to full HP and mana as long as there is a single source of damage nearby.

This approach is cheap, and very slow, but it is a perfectly serviceable way to build yourself back up if you need to. I totally exploited this once or twice in the trial of the fool.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Maybe the bugs from outside only think they remember what life was like outside of Hallownest.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FOURTH PANTHEON DOWN!

(twitter link, contains some image spoilers)

Goatmon on

• Options
    StradeStrade Registered User regular
    When does the expansion starts to be noticed in the game? I don't want to do any of it before i complete everything that was pre expansion XD

• Options
    edited September 2018
    There's two things you need to interact with to access Grimm Troupe or Godmaster stuff.
    There's a large bug corpse tucked away in the Howling Cliffs area for the former. For the latter, there's a locked coffin hidden in the Royal Waterways

Both of these can be ignored until you decide to activate them.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    nevermind

Goatmon on

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I've been avoiding this thread completely because I want to beat the game without any hints. I am 30+ hours in and I am not asking for hints. I just wanted to say that I've been beating my head against
    Lost Kin

for days now. And it seems like such a manageable fight! Ugh!

The last boss that gave me a problem was
    Watcher Knight(s)

That literally took me 4-5 days of doing nothing else in the game because I stubbornly refused to do anything else until I beat it.

Anyway, I don't want any hints. I just wanted to pop in and say how awesome I think the game is. It has quickly become one of my all time favorite all time games of all time for all of time going backward and forward through time for all of time.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Into the Breach stole my attention for a while there, but I got back to this yesterday.

Got Soul Tyrant, Failed Champion, Watcher Knight, and THK (102%)... gave the next part a few tries but stopped for the night.

Tried Path of Pain and NKG for a bit - decided the former is 100% Not For Me, and the latter sure feels that way but seems maybe doable. Visited the godmaster dlc area but haven't tried any yet.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Drez wrote: »
    I've been avoiding this thread completely because I want to beat the game without any hints. I am 30+ hours in and I am not asking for hints. I just wanted to say that I've been beating my head against
    Lost Kin

for days now. And it seems like such a manageable fight! Ugh!

The last boss that gave me a problem was
    Watcher Knight(s)

That literally took me 4-5 days of doing nothing else in the game because I stubbornly refused to do anything else until I beat it.

Anyway, I don't want any hints. I just wanted to pop in and say how awesome I think the game is. It has quickly become one of my all time favorite all time games of all time for all of time going backward and forward through time for all of time.

Hah. Lost Kin is both easy if you know how to handle it, and a huge pain in the ass if you don't.

Best of luck progressing with the game!

Goatmon on

• Options
    StradeStrade Registered User regular
    There's two things you need to interact with to access Grimm Troupe or Godmaster stuff.
    There's a large bug corpse tucked away in the Howling Cliffs area for the former. For the latter, there's a locked coffin hidden in the Royal Waterways

Both of these can be ignored until you decide to activate them.

Thank you, unfortunately i know what you are talking about and i've met both of these things, it's just that they did not do anything specific as much as i remember, only an inspect option, and the second thing is untouched.

I don't want to spiral away from the vanilla game storyline before going into more advanced stuff :D awesome

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I got sick of beating my head against a few different bosses and mini bosses and decided to go exploring.

Figured out that I could get the Crystal Heart without fighting a boss so that was nice.

I’ve discovered I enjoy the exploration and platforming several orders of magnitude more than I enjoy boss fights, so I’ve been opening up the map as best I can. Even managed to open up the tramways.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    If Hollow Knight is good for anything, it's exploration and Boss fights.

• Options
    And that's almost all it does, so that's a good sign.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Personally, I'm playing Hollow Knight for the detailed economic sim aspects. And the dating minigame.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Dream No More done :mrgreen:
    was really excited when the siblings showed up, that’s so cool!

I was pretty much expecting a third round until I saw them, so it was kinda creepy and reassuring at the same time

Awesome ending... but doesn’t matter for %? I’d probably do it again anyway, it wasn’t so bad when I approached it patiently.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I hereby pronounce the Mantis Lords: cool

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    The Mantis Lords might be my favorite fight

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    In some ways they feel like a more extreme form of Hornet, which is pretty cool.

That first shift into Phase 2 really caught me by surprise.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    So I got the first ending to this game.

Did y'all know that Hollow Knight is very good?

Also fuck Deepnest.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    I love that those are the two things almost everyone takes away from Hollow Knight.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I didn’t mind Deepest once I had a map.

Queens Gardens though...fuck that place forever

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I thought the city sewers were going to top Deepnest for just a minute, hate those gooey breathy noises the enemies there make, but ultimately it was more open and easier to navigate.

Edit: Also! Those puffer fish style chaps might be the cutest thing in the game.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    good LORD the Watcher Knights are assholes

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Got the true ending. Then I went and bought this game on the Nintendo Switch and I'm playing through it again.

Hot damn this game is really good.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I respect and appreciate this game, but I'm not sure I actually like it. Almost every design decision they've made seems expressly chosen to upset me. The fact that you bounce backwards when hitting anything drives me crazy and has caused around 75% of all damage I've taken in the game.

It took me two or more hours to get an option that should've been in the game at the start. It's taken me another four or five hours to get options that really should've been available an hour in. Not a fan of these choices.
    The mapping situation is horrendous and I hate everything about it. Having to grind to buy all the map 'upgrades' to make it act like a worse version of every other similar game's map was very frustrating. I check the map about every two seconds in these types of games, and having it not actually pause the game hurts. Having it not actually track where I've been makes me hate exploring. With no screen-sized squares I'm having trouble navigating the map in general, and it's basically impossible to track what corners of rooms I've missed or what exits I haven't used yet. That you need to find the guy and buy the map every zone is infuriating. Especially when some areas I've explored are just not on the map. I've walked up to the same dead ends multiple times, or gone in the first room of a zone I explored and got the one item from, because it just shows up as an unused exit as far as the map shows.

It took way, way, way too long to get to the dash and wall jump. Now that I have them, at least, I feel somewhat better about actually moving around the needlessly huge yet empty map. Having to equip a slot-limited item to make the dash actually work like I'd expect it to was disappointing. Seeing that charm only allows dashing down but not up and doesn't give any extra air dashes was a huge eye roll and sigh.

Working so hard to find the weapon upgrade only for it to have no cosmetic changes and not even make the swing effect wider or a different color or anything was very disappointing. As far as I can tell all it did was make things take one less hit to die. And I'd just gotten to an area where the enemies all take one hit extra to die compared to the starting ones, so...sigh...

Two questions...is there eventually a 'go back to town' spell or item you can buy or equip or anything? And is there any way to make the hit spark effects smaller? I frequently get hit by enemies that don't bounce back far enough and are covered up by the massive orange cloud of energy. I tried adjusting what seemed like a related slider in the options menu, but it didn't change. Does that require a restart maybe?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I might be able to answer question 1. How far into the game are you?

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    I might be able to answer question 1. How far into the game are you?
    I just used the wall jump to explore the area to the upper left of the starting zone. Found the guy who teaches you the spin. Been exploring inside the 'city' area. Also have the Mantis Lords to go back to attempt, now that I upgraded my weapon.

I might be enjoying the game slightly more now, still giving it a few days rest before I attempt it again.

uyvfOQy.png