Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[SW|Armada] The Corellian Conflict

ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
edited July 25 in Critical Failures

... then add a few years and way more ships.

Even as the Galactic Empire tightens its grip across the galaxy, the Rebel Alliance fights back. Amid the turmoil of the Galactic Civil War, the fiercely independent Corellian Sector is like a primed thermal detonator, needing but a nudge to explode.
The Empire seeks to maintain its hold on vital shipyards and hyperspace lanes, while the Rebellion hopes to sway the sector to its side. Now, both sides dispatch their fleets to these embattled worlds, looking for a decisive naval victory ...

The Corellian Conflict is an asymmetrical struggle for supremacy between the Rebel Alliance and the Galactic Empire. it is designed for four to six players, organized into two competing teams. Each player commands a single fleet in an effort to bend the Corellian Sector to his or her will. However, only by working together can each team hope to claim ultimate victory.

But enough from the rulebook.

I'm looking for 3 or 5 other players to join me in taking on the Corellian Conflict campaign for Star Wars: Armada, plus maybe a couple alternates willing to fill in if someone has to drop. I've only played a couple of games of basic Armada, myself, and none of the Campaign, so other new players should totally feel free to join in. The basic rules for Armada can be found online, here and here. Fantasy Flight Games graciously allows people to play their games - including Armada - online using several different tools (like Vassal and Tabletop Simulator, both of which have robust Armada implementations), but they do ask that you own what you play with, to keep them in business. :)

There are special rules for the campaign over and above those present in the core rulebooks linked above; unfortunately, the Corellian Conflict campaign rulebook is not available for download as a PDF, but a bit of searching can find you what you might need if you have a specific question. And, of course, I've got the rules in front of me, so I'm happy to provide any necessary rules referencing.

The main difference between the CC and the normal game is, of course, the fact that it's a campaign. Each team will assemble a number of fleets - 1 per player - and those fleets will persist throughout the campaign. Controlling territory will get you points each campaign turn which you can use to improve your ships and squadrons, buy more of each, or refit damage that was done to your fleet in that turn's engagement.

Each campaign turn is made up of three phases: the Strategy Phase, where teams decide where and with whom it will be attacking; the Battle Phase, where the turn's combat takes place in more-or-less standard Armada battles; and the Management Phase, where each player earns resources to build new bases and to work on their fleets.

ED: Note that each participant takes part in one battle each week, and that can be scheduled at the convenience of the two battle participants - that might not have been clear from my bit below about how the X-wing tournaments worked.

Winning combats, destroying enemy fleets and bases, and capturing selected planets in the Corellian Sector are all worth victory points. For a four-fleet game, you win if you get 9 campaign points; a six-fleet game requires 12. If you are within 4 points of victory and like your chances you can, instead of launching a normal series of assaults, instead call for an all-out offensive, in which every single fleet takes part in a no-holds-barred, battle royale to the finish.

I envision something similar to the PA X-Wing tournaments of old, where each player would aim for 1 game a week (which would allow 1 campaign turn per week). Armada might be a bit slower than X-Wing on a per-turn basis, but each combat has a hard limit of 6 turns, so that should mitigate it somewhat.

So ... Who's in?

Where to Get Armada's Rules:

Quick-play Rules
Full Reference Guide

Where to Get Armada on Vassal:

http://www.vassalengine.org
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Armada

How to Play on Vassal: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/231558-getting-started-with-playing-armada-on-vassal/
(Slightly outdated; the newest module is version 3.9.1, and you'll want to drop the extras from the above link into a folder named ArmadaModule_3.9.1_ext

Where to Get Armada on TableTop Simulator:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=713586082&searchtext=armada

Where to Build a Fleet

https://armada.ryankingston.com/
http://armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/
http://armada.fabpsb.net/gindex.php

Players:

Alternates:

@crimsoncoyote

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
Elvenshae on
FuselageBetsuni

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited July 25
    Corellian Sector Map
    asthcdt3vr06.jpg

Elvenshae on
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Reserved 2

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Reserved 3

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    I own Armada, but I've never played it. Would we be playing in Tabletop Simulator? Is being suuuper inexperienced a negative?

• BetsuniBetsuni Insert Disk 4 and Press Any Key to Continue Registered User regular
    I'm guessing this is going to be in real time? Dang, I'd be interested in playing but probably don't have the time to dedicate another "time slot" at this point. =(

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    38thDoe
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I'm guessing this is going to be in real time? Dang, I'd be interested in playing but probably don't have the time to dedicate another "time slot" at this point. =(

I'm basically in the same boat, unfortunately.

@jdarksun
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I own Armada, but I've never played it. Would we be playing in Tabletop Simulator? Is being suuuper inexperienced a negative?

Tabeltop Simulator or Vassal or ... there might be other ways to play, too? TTS and Vassal work, at least - I fiddled around with both. :D

Being suuuuuper inexperienced is a positive! I bet a lot of people haven't played nearly as much Armada as they'd've liked (me included!). I've got, like, a couple of real games of Armada in, ever. Starting this up is basically my attempt to change that.

@Betsuni

Yeah - I can't really think of a way to do this like a PBP that wouldn't take, like, weeks to resolve a single campaign turn.

Note though, that each campaign turn, you only need to play 1 game; when you get that game in is pretty much up to the participants to schedule.

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    @crimsoncoyote

See the above, if that helps.

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni Insert Disk 4 and Press Any Key to Continue Registered User regular
    Darn you... Tempting me to be able to try Armada like I always wanted to... I've never played a game or read the instructions yet. Just bought the cool ships for cool ships to display.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Elvenshae
    edited July 24
    You can throw me down as an alternate for now. If you need 1 more to get things off the ground, you can promote me into it.

I've got 3-4 nights already dedicated to other plans for the foreseeable future, unfortunately, so I'm not sure how reliably I'd be able to fit in a couple hours of Armada, but I can sure try :)

crimsoncoyote on
    Elvenshae
  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    I'm definitely going to watch as much as this as possible, to relive our Bantha Squadron days.

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited July 24
    I'm in. I might find scheduling a bit hard but I want to play the campaign pretty bad :)

Lykouragh on
    Elvenshae
    @Lykouragh

Added! :) Preference for Rebel / Empire?

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Mmmmmm......... not really, I have stuff I enjoy for both factions. Just fill me in on the unpopular side :)

Elvenshae
    So, if @jdarksun and @crimsoncoyote are interested in joining in, then we'd have enough to get started.

I read one suggestion elsewhere on the web (FFG forum?) that one of the ways to make this a little bit better for newbies like us to start the fleets at 200 points, and increase the fleet cap by 50 points each round until it hits the campaign max of 500. Since we're all pretty new at this, I think it makes a lot of sense. Thoughts?

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Or @Betsuni or @38thDoe , for that matter. :D

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    If I do jump in, do I have to have all the ships? I only have the starter box and I think a few other ships (Home One and ISD I think). Also if I have to drop, do you have enough others to fill my spot?

I just don't want to say yes and suddenly not have the available time which will hurt a campaign.

But I'd love to try and play a game once in my lifetime.

oosik_betsuni.png
    You don't have to have all the ships, no.

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Where do I sign? I'm game!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Have a Rebel vs. Empire preference?

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    @Elvenshae Thanks for the ping, but I'd not feel comfortable committing to anything "liveish". Also I don't have vassal or Tabletop simulator. Also I've never played Armada, just some X-wing. I'm the worst of choices. ._.

steam_sig.png
    Elvenshae
    @38thDoe No problem!

Vassal's free, though, if you ever want to try out a game. :)

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Have a Rebel vs. Empire preference?

I vote Rebel Empire so I can run my ISD into itself.

oosik_betsuni.png
    crimsoncoyoteElvenshae
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    On a scale of Go Fish to The Campaign For North Africa, with the knowledge that I've played exactly one game of X-Wing and three games of Star Trek Attack Wing, how hard would it be to learn Armada?

I'm genuinely curious to play, but scheduling the playtimes might actually be the hardest part.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Elvenshae
    @Nips I’d say that a full game is more complicated than X-Wing / Attack Wing; but not by a huge amount.

The biggest wrinkle is that big ships are slow to respond, so you’re placing your command dials for a couple of turns in the future. They aren’t the same as X-Wing command dials, which control movement; they’re more like which special ability do you want to use, and there’s 4 of them. Star Destoryers plan 3 turns out, corvettes plan out a single turn.

Non-kill-em-all objectives are built into each game - you pick three potential objectives (mission types) when you build your fleet.

Games only last 6 rounds, too.

Honestly, I’m happy to hop on Vassal or TTS with anyone and play an intro game.

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    edited July 27
    @Nips I’d say that a full game is more complicated than X-Wing / Attack Wing; but not by a huge amount.

The biggest wrinkle is that big ships are slow to respond, so you’re placing your command dials for a couple of turns in the future. They aren’t the same as X-Wing command dials, which control movement; they’re more like which special ability do you want to use, and there’s 4 of them. Star Destoryers plan 3 turns out, corvettes plan out a single turn.

Non-kill-em-all objectives are built into each game - you pick three potential objectives (mission types) when you build your fleet.

Games only last 6 rounds, too.

Honestly, I’m happy to hop on Vassal or TTS with anyone and play an intro game.

I will definitely hit you up on this. Especially since I never played XW at all.

Edit: Spelling

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Elvenshae38thDoe
    I'll grab a copy of Vassal in the next couple days and poke at it, while reading through the rules.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Elvenshae
    @Nips @Betsuni @Lykouragh @jdarksun @crimsoncoyote

Anyone up for an intro game tonight? Say, like, 2030 Eastern time?

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Crap, I would have tried to make this early time, but I have to stop off on my way home today for an errand.

My normal times I'm available are usually around 1830 till 2000 Pacific time on weekdays. Weekends are more flexible.

oosik_betsuni.png
    doh, sorry I missed this.
    That's kind of a bad time for me most nights, unfortunately. :(

Does a little later work better for people, then?

'Cause I could do later this Friday night.

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Or, @Betsuni, I could 1830 Pacific tomorrow.

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    edited August 2
    Wednesdays are my volleyball night; for me a recurring thing would be better on a Tuesday or Thursday, or even Sunday evening; 1930 to 2200 central. This Thursday might not fly, though.

I read through the intro rules, and grabbed a copy of Vassal. I need to play with it more to get the feel for it, though.

Nips on
    Elvenshae
    Or, Betsuni, I could 1830 Pacific tomorrow.

But... But... Thursday Nights are MWO Oosik Nights.

Ok, I can do this. Every other week. If that's ok with others?

If not, I can try out a game tomorrow night on Vassel if you are willing to help me step through things.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I'm actually out of town starting tomorrow for the next 8 days, I"m up for a game the moment I get back though.

Elvenshae
    Hmm, I'm having problems installing Vassel. Which JRE version did you guys install to make it work? The "autoinstall" seems to be failing.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I honestly don't remember installing that part ... I've just got the JRE installed anyway, and I didn't need to do anything except check for updates.

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Hmm, ok. I'll try to figure it out tonight then.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Well will you look at that. Tabletop simulator is on sale today.

Is it easier to play this in that than Vassel?

oosik_betsuni.png
    crimsoncoyote
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Well will you look at that. Tabletop simulator is on sale today.

Is it easier to play this in that than Vassel?

It's easier to set it up; the actual mechanics of play seem a little harder to me, since TTS is ... uh, a physics simulator that happens to have gaming pieces on it? :D

Happy to play in either, actually, but I know Vassal better.

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Nips