As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump Admin Immigration Policy Thread - DACA, ICE, Kids In Cages, etc

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/visa-green-card-applications-denied

Keep the rage. As a reminder, Trump amd this admin are also doing their damndest to eliminate legal immigration

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    They're going to exploit a natural disaster to make more wrongful arrests and deportations, aren't they?

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    They're going to exploit a natural disaster to make more wrongful arrests and deportations, aren't they?

Why would they not? Poor, wretched, huddled masses* are easy to contain. And hey, for each one you deport, that's less resources needed from FEMA, and more they can put into ICE. Win win for Trump and Miller.

* Those sound like words that'd be used in an uplifting poem, and put on a bright testament to American inclusiveness, possibly with a big statue. Denoting liberty. But yeah, not in this administration.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I think we may need to start pressuring Dems to join the ICC the next time they have control and extradite all these motherfuckers to The Hague.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I think we may need to start pressuring Dems to join the ICC the next time they have control and extradite all these motherfuckers to The Hague.

While it's probably not a bad idea, I think it'd be political poison. The drumbeat of "american exceptionalism" is so pervasive now, the idea that Americans should be judged by anyone, or that they can't take care of their criminals themselves, is anathema to too many people.

Hell, arguably one of the lowest points of the current Administration was considering sending an American to Moscow for interrogation. It ate significantly into his approval of Always-Trumpers. If you can have even the deplorable 27% go "Hey hey, hold on a minute. Kidnapping babies and putting them in toddler jail, we can get behind. But this is too far!", then campaigning on the idea, or just trying to get it as a plank of policy, would be political malpractice, IMO.

Again, I don't think it's a bad idea. Just one that would lose more votes than it'd gain. Nationalism (not just as a euphemism for the khaki/polo brigade) is just too ingrained.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I recently realized this was my red line.
    Of all the politics threads on here this is the one I have the hardest time keeping up with because I don't want to read it because it's unimaginably cruel. I'm actively trying to figure out if we can leave this country for a bit. I don't want to be asked "why didn't you do anything"

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Taking that much money from FEMA huh? Well good thing there's not a giant hurriane heading towards the carolinas or that might, in hindsight, look like a really fucking stupid idea.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Taking that much money from FEMA huh? Well good thing there's not a giant hurriane heading towards the carolinas or that might, in hindsight, look like a really fucking stupid idea.

It’s the liberals’ fault for making ICE’s job difficult, of course!

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    FEMA apparently wasn't the only agency raided to fill ICE's piggy bank, to the tune of $200 MILLION
    The money came from different parts of DHS, including FEMA, the Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction Office, Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers, Coast Guard, Transportation Security Administration, cybersecurity office and Customs and Border Protection.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    FEMA apparently wasn't the only agency raided to fill ICE's piggy bank, to the tune of $200 MILLION
    The money came from different parts of DHS, including FEMA, the Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction Office, Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers, Coast Guard, Transportation Security Administration, cybersecurity office and Customs and Border Protection.

It’s...like they purposely chose some of the worst ones to defund. FEMA after one of the worst hurricane seasons in recent memory, Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers when law enforcement is under more scrutiny at all levels and in need of more training (particularly in the areas of Mental Health awareness and general suspect treatment), and cyber security...good thing we don’t have actual fucking proof that malicious actors have been trying to hack into our infrastructure, election systems.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Of all the politics threads on here this is the one I have the hardest time keeping up with because I don't want to read it because it's unimaginably cruel. I'm actively trying to figure out if we can leave this country for a bit. I don't want to be asked "why didn't you do anything"

The only solution is to stay and fight, in my book. Call Representatives and Senators. Protest. Write letters. Donate.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I knew wishing on that monkey paw for the TSA to lose funding wouldnt turn out well.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    It’s as if they took every agency that has some role in actually protecting people to some degree, and decided to give it to the worst people in government. Actually endangering people just to satisfy racists.

Which is probably the point, increase the likelihood of a terrorist/more drugs/whatever eventually getting past the boarder, Coast Guard, or TSA, therefor justifying more racist policies. On top of that suck salad, we get a side order of disasters being more difficult to react to, causing more human suffering and a rise in crime, we also still have room for a less trained police force.

I seriously cannot tell if this is a purposeful plan to increase authoritarianism or just idiots trying to loot the country without regard for the consequences.

Probably both.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    It’s as if they took every agency that has some role in actually protecting people to some degree, and decided to give it to the worst people in government. Actually endangering people just to satisfy racists.

Which is probably the point, increase the likelihood of a terrorist/more drugs/whatever eventually getting past the boarder, Coast Guard, or TSA, therefor justifying more racist policies. On top of that suck salad, we get a side order of disasters being more difficult to react to, causing more human suffering and a rise in crime, we also still have room for a less trained police force.

I seriously cannot tell if this is a purposeful plan to increase authoritarianism or just idiots trying to loot the country without regard for the consequences.

Probably both.

It's both. This is all the plan. This has always been the plan.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

God damn. Even the GOP is/was not amused by their financial incompetence last year:
    Financial management weaknesses have been a particular problem within ERO, as discussed below under the Custody Operations heading. The lack of fiscal discipline and cavalier management of funding for detention operations, evidenced by inaccurate budget formulation and uneven execution, seems to be the result of a perception that ERO is funded by an indefinite appropriation. This belief is incorrect.

Reading the whole tongue lashing, I honestly cannot infer is this is more corruption or stupidity.
    Even without the increased flow of aliens into the country, ICE’s fiscal year 2017 budget request negligently and knowingly used a flawed projection of the Average Daily Population (ADP) based on a seasonally low data point, despite knowing full well that historical trends supported a higher annual detention bed requirement. Further, the daily bed rate used to calculate the funding requirement for family detention was almost half of the actual rate because ICE assumed substantial but unrealistic savings that were not based on a validated cost estimation methodology.

If that's not bad enough, [in 2017] they didn't budget for rent, security, overtime or utilities. They abstracted all of that into an overhead rate for "beds" then offer no details for why "overhead" goes up >30% a year.
    Custody Operations [overhead] funding within the bed rate grew by 40 percent between fiscal year 2015 and fiscal year 2016; it is estimated to increase by another 33 percent in fiscal year 2017.

Full "Custody Operations," condemnation if you want to get a glimpse of the management-trainwreck / grift-engine that was ERO (and probably still is, given that they either ignored the directives, or implemented them and still went 200m over budget this year.)
    "Another obstacle to sound financial management at ICE has been its approach to paying for service-wide costs (SWC), such as rent, overtime, utilities, and security. Instead of budgeting transparently for these costs, [they hide them in the 'overhead' cost of beds]"
    Custody Operations. A total of $2,557,542,000 is provided for Custody Operations, an increase of $378,579,000 over the requested amount. This additional funding reflects the surge in the number of aliens placed into removal proceedings and detention after crossing our southern border during the first quarter of fiscal year 2017. Even without the increased flow of aliens into the country, ICE’s fiscal year 2017 budget request negligently and knowingly used a flawed projection of the Average Daily Population (ADP) based on a seasonally low data point, despite knowing full well that historical trends supported a higher annual detention bed requirement. Further, the daily bed rate used to calculate the funding requirement for family detention was almost half of the actual rate because ICE assumed substantial but unrealistic savings that were not based on a validated cost estimation methodology.

For the past several years, the agency’s forecast for the required number of detention beds and its cost estimates have resulted in budget requests that missed the mark by wide margins. In fiscal years 2014 and 2015, ICE reprogrammed a combined total of $83,000,000 out of Custody Operations because of a lower than planned ADP, only to reprogram $127,000,000 into Custody Operations in fiscal year 2016 because the estimated number of beds needed and the average daily cost used in the budget request were grossly insufficient. Accurately formulating the budget request for detention beds depends on two key variable—the cost per bed and the number of beds needed, as determined by the ADP. While ICE has the tools to develop reliable and detailed cost estimates for detention beds, it does not consistently use those tools in the formulation of the budget request. Even with more accurate estimates of bed rates, however, ICE simply has no model for estimating ADP. While there are factors beyond ICE’s control that affect the size of the ADP in detention, such as the number of apprehensions by CBP, a model better informed by historical averages and seasonal trends would be a more prudent approach for forecasting the number of beds needed in the next fiscal year. It is apparent that additional oversight and audit work in this area is needed. Therefore, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) is directed to review ICE’s current methodologies for determining detention resource requirements, including its approach to estimating the ADP requirement; evaluate ICE’s efforts to improve the accuracy of its cost estimates and projections; and report to the Committees within 180 days of the date of enactment of this Act on GAO’s conclusions, including any appropriate recommendations.

To ensure costs are estimated using sound methodology, in the fiscal year 2018 Congressional Budget Justification, ICE shall fully detail the methodology used to determine the bed rate, including the bed model output costs assumed for each area of responsibility and facility type. All changes in the various cost categories must be fully explained, rather than generally justified as an increase in the bed rate. The inclusion of indirect, service-wide costs into the calculation for beds obscures the actual cost for detention beds and allows ICE to increase overhead costs without identifying the true nature of the increase. Therefore, ICE shall no longer include indirect costs in the calculation for detention beds. ICE must also improve its contracting process for detention beds. The agency has approximately 400 contracts with more than 200 detention facilities, each having varying services, costs, terms, and conditions. While contracts for detention beds are negotiated by the Office of Acquisition Management (OAQ), the Field Offices notify OAQ when more beds are needed and are responsible for reviewing vendor invoices for accuracy before submitting them for payment. However, there is neither a standard template for contracts nor a consistent method for Field Offices to validate invoices. ICE is directed to brief the Committees on actions it has taken to improve this process not later than 30 days after the date of enactment of this Act.

Edit: (This is from the 600+ page congressiinal record PDF linked in the article, if that's not clear. Starts on page "H3810" aka 484)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Probably both.

It's both. This is all the plan. This has always been the plan.

And as other agencies become strapped for cash the Incredibly Successful ICE which is doing better than any other Agency, by the way, some say it’s the best, will have to step in and assume some of the duties that the Border Patrol and Coast Guard and TSA aren’t able to. For security reasons.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    LostNinja wrote: »

It’s...like they purposely chose some of the worst ones to defund. FEMA after one of the worst hurricane seasons in recent memory, Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers when law enforcement is under more scrutiny at all levels and in need of more training (particularly in the areas of Mental Health awareness and general suspect treatment), and cyber security...good thing we don’t have actual fucking proof that malicious actors have been trying to hack into our infrastructure, election systems.

They also took 16 million from ICE-HSI (the one that investigates crimes) to give it to ICE-ERO (the one that jails non-criminals).

Specifically cutting:

-Visa setting fraud investigation
    -Workplace compliance enforcement efforts
    - Wiretap activities
    - Armored vehicle purchase

Not 100% on what the first two are, and the last one may be standard "policing agency" waste, but I'd rather waste money on superfluous armored vehicles than for-profit immigrant detention.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

The only solution is to stay and fight, in my book. Call Representatives and Senators. Protest. Write letters. Donate.

What do you do when the congresscritters in favor of these atrocities don't give a flying fuck about what the voters want (and don't need to)? Making a fuss is all well and good, but people are still being tortured in the meantime.

• Options
    Calica wrote: »

What do you do when the congresscritters in favor of these atrocities don't give a flying fuck about what the voters want (and don't need to)? Making a fuss is all well and good, but people are still being tortured in the meantime.

Civil disobedience

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    A different form of immigration fuckery. Trump and his evangelical posse said they were just going to let in Christian refugees because Christians are being oppressed in the Middle East (and implicitly fuck the Muslims). But no, of course they aren't letting these refugees in. Christian refugee numbers have dropped 40% since Trump's regime started.

Christians don't really count if their skin tone is too dark.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

Civil disobedience

Well, yes. I meant in practical terms.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Civil disobedience

In practical terms, blockading ICE facilities so they have to shut down. As people did, as civil disobedience.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    civil disobedience gets shit done

especially when taking something as simple as moral stance against putting kids in cages is too difficult for some politicians

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Mayabird wrote: »
    A different form of immigration fuckery. Trump and his evangelical posse said they were just going to let in Christian refugees because Christians are being oppressed in the Middle East (and implicitly fuck the Muslims). But no, of course they aren't letting these refugees in. Christian refugee numbers have dropped 40% since Trump's regime started.

Christians don't really count if their skin tone is too dark.

The Trump Administration sees the bit Family Guy did where the cop holds the color swatches up to Peters face with shades just labeled "Okay" and "Not Okay" and thinks "YES! That's the perfect way to do it!"

Viskod on
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Keep it up until it sinks in. This shit has been going on for 15 years and I'll wager our reps have heard more about it this summer than in that entire period. The DNC is pragmatic, which is a nice way to say lazy, but not fundamentally opposed to it. They need to be convinced this isn't a fleeting crisis of conscience. (The progressive upsets this year should help with that!)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options

Civil disobedience

Find the people doing civil disobedience and join them? Or I dunno, ask when they are doing stuff and drop off some snacks and water for them?

It can be practical.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

Civil disobedience

In practical terms, blockading ICE facilities so they have to shut down. As people did, as civil disobedience.

You can also donate money to charities like the ACLU, immigrant law provision organizations, and to Democrats in states where they might win. Live in Republican Town, Lousiana, population 10000 angry white people + you? Then send some money over to ohio and texas.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I am fucking crying right now.

BART, the public transit rail system in the Bay Area of California, betrayed not only the local and state government(s) but also basically all of the citizens there. They sent ICE over 57,000 license plates in spite of the Sanctuary policy. Supposedly it was an accident, but the cameras involved were operational for over half a year after the decision came down to shut them all off and stop the feeding of information. BART cannot guarantee anyone's safety at the moment from ICE.

I'm doubting the accident in question here because BART has recently allowed an anti-Semitic group to put up Holocaust denial ads, and when called out on it, BART operators took the "tough shit, free speech" response. Which happened yesterday or the day before.

So yeah when I'm facing the question, "Is BART being administered by racist people?" my answer is "obviously."

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

BART, the public transit rail system in the Bay Area of California, betrayed not only the local and state government(s) but also basically all of the citizens there. They sent ICE over 57,000 license plates in spite of the Sanctuary policy. Supposedly it was an accident, but the cameras involved were operational for over half a year after the decision came down to shut them all off and stop the feeding of information. BART cannot guarantee anyone's safety at the moment from ICE.

I'm doubting the accident in question here because BART has recently allowed an anti-Semitic group to put up Holocaust denial ads, and when called out on it, BART operators took the "tough shit, free speech" response. Which happened yesterday or the day before.

So yeah when I'm facing the question, "Is BART being administered by racist people?" my answer is "obviously."

That's settled law for a public agency. New York Magazine v MTA I think is the one that's holding. So it's more a "we don't want to spend our already inadequate budget in a lawsuit we know we will lose" response. Every transit system gets caught in it. Hell, the CTA has to carry ads from Scott Walker denigrating the CTA, and saying move to Wisconsin because the CTA is terrible.

moniker on
  • Options
    moniker wrote: »

That's settled law for a public agency. New York Magazine v MTA I think is the one that's holding. So it's more a "we don't want to spend our already inadequate budget in a lawsuit we know we will lose" response. Every transit system gets caught in it. Hell, the CTA has to carry ads from Scott Walker denigrating the CTA, and saying move to Wisconsin because the CTA is terrible.
    Am I to understand "settled law" merely means "until someone can properly challenge and overcome it"?

Also the explanation of the cameras doesn't make sense. Cameras operated until August of 2017, they claim they discovered the problem in November 2017 - what the fuck happened to September and October then? This reeks of bullshit.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Edit: never mind, misunderstood.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Edit: wrote a new post when I ment to edit my last one :confused:

LostNinja on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Am I to understand "settled law" merely means "until someone can properly challenge and overcome it"?

Also the explanation of the cameras doesn't make sense. Cameras operated until August of 2017, they claim they discovered the problem in November 2017 - what the fuck happened to September and October then? This reeks of bullshit.

And have the right judge, yes.

It's why Kavanaugh's explanation of Roe is utterly inadequate

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

First Amendment protections against public agencies have basically been a ratchet for centuries of jurisprudence making restrictions harder and harder to justify. Mostly unanimously. So, yes, it merely means until the Supreme Court suddenly throws out all prior rulings regarding speech it has made since Marbury. The '97 case I cited is just the most recent and relevant for transit. Meanwhile you still can't go to Milpitas.

Yeah, that's bullshit.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    They just arrested a member of the border patrol for 4 murders and and kidnapping. Not ruling out others and calling the man a serial killer.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/09/15/us/us-border-patrol-agent-arrested-slayings/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    RickRude wrote: »
    They just arrested a member of the border patrol for 4 murders and and kidnapping. Not ruling out others and calling the man a serial killer.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/09/15/us/us-border-patrol-agent-arrested-slayings/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/

So using this admins logic everyone in the border patrol is a serial killer? Honestly its more true than anything else the Trump admin has spewed about immigrants.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

So using this admins logic everyone in the border patrol is a serial killer? Honestly its more true than anything else.

Some, I assume, are good people.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

So using this admins logic everyone in the border patrol is a serial killer? Honestly its more true than anything else.

Sorry I got distracted and didn't finish my thought, but honestly every anecdote about Border Patrol has me seriously doubting good people are involved at all. At least not in the US.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Sorry I got distracted and didn't finish my thought, but honestly every anecdote about Border Patrol has me seriously doubting good people are involved at all. At least not in the US.

He's using Trump's language about Mexicans

• Options
    Hi, time for one of the resident people-of-Mexican-descent to weigh in here.

Last night I was racially profiled by a cop that I had called for to report a domestic incident in the neighborhood. Asked for my SSN to VERY OBVIOUSLY run a check on my citizenship status (or more specifically hand my info over to ICE; I stress again I was born here in 1985 and my parents each emigrated here legally) as soon as I told him my name - which is very Mexican-descent. Why am I bringing that up after someone posts a story about a border patrol agent murdering people?

Did any of you folks commenting read the agent's name in that article? Wanna take a guess at his background?

Do you know what the administration response to this is going to be? If we're lucky, it won't hit the national news stage, and there will be no need to comment. Especially if the news doesn't air on Fox. But if it does make the air waves? The response is going to be that people of Hispanic / Latino descent aren't fit for this field of law enforcement (they may even extend it to any field of law enforcement).

Sorry to interrupt "good people" jokey joke time.

This discussion has been closed.