As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump Admin Immigration Policy Thread - DACA, ICE, Kids In Cages, etc

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Of course they did. Because they want people who WANT to run a concentration camp, and those people don't pass background checks.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Their instantance on the families the children are fleeing to have to go through long and vigorous background checks while the staff taking care of them in the camps get the need for checks waived kind of makes it obvious what their real goal is.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I suspect it's actually mostly about this:
    — Costs appear to be soaring more than 50 percent higher than the government has disclosed: What began as an emergency, 30-day shelter has transformed into a vast tent city that could cost taxpayers more than $430 million.

ie - The situation is getting out of hand and the camp growing at a way faster rate then they anticipated because they are idiots who don't plan at all. Which means they desperately need to fill staffing shortages caused by a massive growth in the size and scope of the project. So you waive anything that slows down hiring people.

And I mean, hey, if that lets bad apples through, who cares? It's not like they view the people who would suffer because of that as human.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    ICE and a privately run immigration detention center murdered a trans woman fleeing violence.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trans-woman-roxsana-hernandez-rodriguez-beaten-in-ice-custody-before-death-pathologist-finds
    Trans Woman Was Beaten in ICE Custody Before Death, Autopsy Finds

Roxsana Rodriguez died following lack of medical treatment in a privately run immigration detention center. An autopsy concludes that she was beaten.

A transgender woman who died in Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody after being held in a privately operated detention center was likely physically abused there, according an autopsy report released Monday, and died after several days of severe, untreated dehydration.

Roxsana Hernández Rodriguez, 33, a transgender woman from Honduras, died on May 25, nine days after being transferred to a dedicated unit for transgender women at the Cibola County Correctional Center in New Mexico, which is operated under contract by CoreCivic, the second-largest private prison company in the United States.
    CoreCivic, a publicly traded company whose motto is “Better the Public Good,” operates more than 65 prisons and detention facilities in the United States.

Even before her detention in New Mexico, Hernández Rodriguez had walked an extremely difficult path on her way to the United States. In an interview with Buzzfeed News a month before her death, Hernández Rodriguez said she decided to flee Honduras after she was gang-raped by four members of the MS-13 gang, resulting in her being infected with HIV.

“Trans people in my neighborhood are killed and chopped into pieces, then dumped inside potato bags,” Hernández Rodriguez said at the time. “I didn’t want to come to Mexico—I wanted to stay in Honduras but I couldn’t… They kill trans people in Honduras. I’m scared of that.”

This makes me incredibly upset.

Who has standing to sue the facility over this? Her family? The government?

The same for pressing charges?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    — Costs appear to be soaring more than 50 percent higher than the government has disclosed: What began as an emergency, 30-day shelter has transformed into a vast tent city that could cost taxpayers more than $430 million.

ie - The situation is getting out of hand and the camp growing at a way faster rate then they anticipated because they are idiots who don't plan at all. Which means they desperately need to fill staffing shortages caused by a massive growth in the size and scope of the project. So you waive anything that slows down hiring people.

And I mean, hey, if that lets bad apples through, who cares? It's not like they view the people who would suffer because of that as human.

This is how it happens, "there were just too many of them, what else were we supposed to do" is one step closer to ovens.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

This is how concentration camps unintentionally turn into death camps, historically. British Boer War concentration camps come to mind immediately. Poor planning and lack of foresight leading to way more people being packed into them than is safe or sustainable.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

This is how it happens, "there were just too many of them, what else were we supposed to do" is one step closer to ovens.

Ovens if we're lucky. I'm more afraid that these people are simply going to disappear without any documentation or investigative trail left behind.

To my eye this has all the hallmarks of a massive human trafficking campaign. To what end is anyone's guess, but if I were a betting person I'd say it's sexual in nature. Look at what little we know:
    • Children separated from their parents and housed differently
    • Massive, massive psychological abuse and abandonment issues creation (which is highly germane for grooming efforts)
    • Temporary shelters where assigned living space is more communal than personal
    • Which means anyone can come and go without attention being called to the situation
    • Little to no oversight of caretakers
    • Criminals came up with it. What else are they going to do?

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Leader of the Senate Democrats decides the party will support the god forsaken wall:

Raju works for CNN

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    That's basically enough for fences, but they shouldn't be offering anything.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Lanz wrote: »
    Leader of the Senate Democrats decides the party will support the god forsaken wall:

Raju works for CNN

They've literally been saying this for ... what a year now at least? They were offering border security funding for saving DACA last fall. Do you not remember all the stories about Schumer and Pelosi dining with Trump and him cutting a deal behind the Congressional GOP's back? Of course, it fell through because Trump is an idiot who can't make a deal, but this has been the general position for a long time now.

shryke on
  • Options
    Meanwhile his office is claiming that’s for security, not the wall specifically:

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Raju works for CNN

God fucking damnit just retire already

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    IMO just get the none homeland security funding bills through, then just let the homeland security starve. I think we've already have proof this fucking administration is pulling money from the non-fascist elements of the department to fund their fascist fuckers. So it's not like any money going to it is doing any damn good and is instead being used to make racists, fascists, neo-confederates and neo-nazis happy. So fuck that department. Besides, when it shuts down, just blame Trump, he got it all shut down for his dumb fucking wall, that was probably be ramped up to scam the country out of money and enrich Trump and his bodies.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Come on people, this is the exact same shit they've been saying for over a year:
    Democratic leaders on Wednesday night declared that they had a deal with President Trump to quickly extend protections for young undocumented immigrants and to finalize a border security package that does not include the president’s proposed wall.
    That's from early September 2017. I know every week feels like a decade right now, but let's try and remember at least some of last year.

This is not new. This is not shocking. This is not out of line with anything they've ever said. It apparently doesn't cover wall funding anyway. Let's not go spreading actual fake news here and put this statement in context. "More money for border security" has been what the Democrats have been trading for gimmes on immigration for like a decade or more.

shryke on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    You might recall many of us were just as mad then

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    "The American people spoke loud and clear this election and we want to make it clear that if Donald Trump wants to hunt immigrants from a golf cart he must do so for food, not sport"

- Chuck Schumer, probably

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I know I sure as hell was. And I still am! Fuck Schumer for these non-public negotiations in addition to this terrible idea.

Edit - "Here's 1.6 billion dollars to have more border patrol agents attack foreign nationals who haven't even crossed the border yet." Good idea Chuck. You idiot. You fuckface. Worthless ass.

Henroid on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The portion of the GOP that has the veto power doesn't care about border security and the center has never figured that out.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    The portion of the GOP that has the veto power doesn't care about border security and the center has never figured that out.

Yeah but that just means these deals go nowhere anyway.

The Democrats have long been willing to offer money for a bunch of nebulous "border security" things as a carrot to try and get anything on immigration going. It's mostly harmless. And the nothing at all that continues to happen re: immigration legislation is not exactly without harm on it's own.

shryke on
  • Options

This, pretty much. So the funding fight should focus on putting that off till last. Can't remember what all Homeland Security had it in, but they can always piecemeal fund anything that is useful. Pretty much the Trick is, rope them along until everything that needs to be funded gets funding and if they decide to not move because they don't get a damn wall. Well it' suck for some, but not a huge loss IMO, given what I've seen from ICE and CE&B, well fuck em, any honest person would be getting out of those ASAP.

But yeah, Schumer didn't exactly screw us over here, even if they take the 1.6 billion because that 1.6 billion can't all be spent on their dumb fucking wall. I think a good chunk of it was going to either existing infrastructure or non-wall stuff. Plus, pretty sure a most of that was what they got under past admin anyways.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Henroid wrote: »
    I know I sure as hell was. And I still am! Fuck Schumer for these non-public negotiations in addition to this terrible idea.

Edit - "Here's 1.6 billion dollars to have more border patrol agents attack foreign nationals who haven't even crossed the border yet." Good idea Chuck. You idiot. You fuckface. Worthless ass.

If he gives them 1.6 billion expecting they'll make concessions on DACA or some such later, it's just a waste. They'll pocket the money, give nothing, and shit on brown people just as hard. There's no dealing in good faith with the soulless.

Cog on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

If he gives them 1.6 billion expecting they'll make concessions on DACA or some such later, it's just a waste. They'll pocket the money, give nothing, and shit on brown people just as hard. There's no dealing in good faith with the soulless.

"Comprehensive Immigration Reform" proposals generally tend to be more comprehensive than not.

• Options

If he gives them 1.6 billion expecting they'll make concessions on DACA or some such later, it's just a waste. They'll pocket the money, give nothing, and shit on brown people just as hard.

It's 1.6 billion as part of a larger deal, not just "here's the money". At least, from what that statement above says.

Basically the same deal they've been offering since at least last year, the only thing that's changed is maybe the specific number. Realistically it's the exact same kind of deal they've been offering for ages now.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

"Comprehensive Immigration Reform" proposals generally tend to be more comprehensive than not.

Don't negotiate in the dark, if it's going to be comprehensive.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

The Democrats have long been willing to offer money for a bunch of nebulous "border security" things as a carrot to try and get anything on immigration going. It's mostly harmless. And the nothing at all that continues to happen re: immigration legislation is not exactly without harm on it's own.

I mean, what really can go wrong working out deals with nazis and providing public support for a portion of their "immigrantion policy".

• Options

Why?

• Options

Why?

It occurs to me I'm missing some larger context on the 1.6 billion quote, tbh. I missed a link somewhere.

• Options
    edited November 2018

If anything, now that we've learned that they moved a ton of money meant for combating money laundering and smuggling to the Jackboots. The first thing any funding bill should do is be much more specific on how much money, certain parts of that department can get. Not sure if the last one was worded loose enough for this fucking admin to get away with it or if that will be one of the first things the new House gets the ream this administration for.

Mill on
  • Options
    edited November 2018

How is publicly issuing a press statement reaffirming past public statements in the dark?

moniker on
  • Options

How is publicly issuing a press statement reaffirming past public statements in the dark?

Hey ignore me, I completely misread and bluescreened on this one.

• Options
    Mill wrote: »

If anything, now that we've learned that they moved a ton of money meant for combating money laundering and smuggling to the Jackboots. The first thing any funding bill should do is be much more specific on how much money, certain parts of that department can get. Not sure if the last one was worded loose enough for this fucking admin to get away with it or if that will be one of the first things the new House gets the ream this administration for.

Spending Bills have to start in the House, but anything Pelosi sends to McConnell is coming back to a Conference Committee. Including the Reconciliation one.

• Options
    edited November 2018

“Mostly harmless” in the Adamsian sense, perhaps.

I mean for Christ sakes, border patrol started this past weekend off by tear gassing refugees!

“Mostly harmless”...

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Im not sure how "its just for border security" is supposed to make anyone feel better. More money for the gestapo, great.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018

That's how it works amd has worked, yes

Fencingsax on
  • Options

I mean for Christ sakes, border patrol started this past weekend off by tear gassing refugees!

“Mostly harmless”...

They didn't need that 1.6 billion to do it so, like, what is the substance of your complaint here exactly?

• Options
    Caedwyr wrote: »

I mean, what really can go wrong working out deals with nazis and providing public support for a portion of their "immigrantion policy".

They aren't providing support for it. They are explicitly, it appears anyway, saying "No wall" which is the opposite of that.

And you gotta cut some sort of deal on immigration if you want to, like, actually pass immigration legislation. The alternative is just the status quo, which exists entirely because nobody has been able to pass immigration legislation that will make it through both houses of congress and past the filibuster and ain't great.

So you say you'll make a deal and offer some concessions. And if you don't like the overall deal, you just walk away. Like has literally happened before, hence why there's no real immigration legislation that's getting done for the last long long while.

• Options

Spending Bills have to start in the House, but anything Pelosi sends to McConnell is coming back to a Conference Committee. Including the Reconciliation one.

Yes, but at that point they can get McConnell on record and use that against him. Though this strike me as one of those areas that McConnell and several republicans aren't terribly invested in and some seem to loath the idea that Trump is wasting so much time and energy on it.

• Options

They aren't providing support for it. They are explicitly, it appears anyway, saying "No wall" which is the opposite of that.

And you gotta cut some sort of deal on immigration if you want to, like, actually pass immigration legislation. The alternative is just the status quo, which exists entirely because nobody has been able to pass immigration legislation that will make it through both houses of congress and past the filibuster and ain't great.

So you say you'll make a deal and offer some concessions. And if you don't like the overall deal, you just walk away. Like has literally happened before, hence why there's no real immigration legislation that's getting done for the last long long while.

They're further entrenching the notion that the border is a problem to begin with. Its debating on the GOP's terms.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2018

“Mostly harmless”...

They didn't need that 1.6 billion to do it so, like, what is the substance of your complaint here exactly?

That US Border Patrol, particularly under this administration, is not a harmless entity, is being used as an actively antagonistic force against Latin Americans trying to immigrate and seek asylum from violence and oppression in their countries of origin and that the Beltway gambits that you are suggesting are fine don’t do jack squat to actually fix a goddamn thing because one party wants an active white supremacist persecution squad on the Southern Border, one party is removed from the actual reality of the lives their policy is effecting and live in an abstracted meritocratic fantasy about how immigration works and because of the second the money used will ultimately be used to hurt refugees by the first, particularly as the current political and economic crises grow worse, and even more so as climate change worsens conditions even further prompting a more severe humanitarian and refugee crisis than currently exists.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

They're further entrenching the notion that the border is a problem to begin with. Its debating on the GOP's terms.

I mean, the position that "border security is a thing that should exist" is a position of the Democratic party and the vast majority of their base, let alone the public at large.

This discussion has been closed.