As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spider-Man] Speeder and Miles Webs Prower 10/20/23

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm torn between wanting a Spider-Man 2 or for this team to do an Iron Man game. Give Insomniac the Marvel Game Universe, basically.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Some of the powers are too over the top. Almost all the suit powers and the spinning super throw and the ground pounds... very video gamey, makes me feel less like Spider-Man.

I've been avoiding them except the suit powers, since they are limited and very strong

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Brutes, you can deal with them easier once you get the Impact Web that can tie them up in one shot, right?

Yes. Also the dodge will web them up enough to get a few punches in.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    To be fair Spidey has changed suits, gadgets and abilities multiple times throughout the comics and other media. It's not entirely unbelievable he could do these things

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Some of the stuff (web shooter sonic cannon? Levitation grenade? Floating shooting spider drones?) is a bit much, but it's easy enough to just not use those. I'd much rather the game have the stuff for the fun of it, then get too caught up in what is perfectly Spider-Man-ish.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    If you spam all your gadgets fights become very easy, at least where I'm at now. (The second tier of opponents)

Also note that enemies with guns obey line of sight. You can go into a covered area if too many bullets are flying.

Webspam + triangle seems strong so far, because you can often web people to walls regardless of their hp.

Rooftop fights become hilarious knocking people of edges.

You also just pick up the skills as you face tougher foes. I hadn't gotten to the southern tip fort and only just did it, and got a 58x combo practicing perfect dodges, instead of mashing like I did on my first fort.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I know I'm playing Spider-Man, but there's just no way some of these guys I'm throwing off buildings aren't deeeeeeeeaaaaad.

Because when the last red blip for a fight is flying away from the building for a solid five seconds before the fight finally ends, there's no safe landing for that.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Some of the stuff (web shooter sonic cannon? Levitation grenade? Floating shooting spider drones?) is a bit much, but it's easy enough to just not use those. I'd much rather the game have the stuff for the fun of it, then get too caught up in what is perfectly Spider-Man-ish.

Agreed on the fun over factual approach

Also I'm like 90% sure he made Sonic webshooters at one time to fight Symbiotes, he's had dozens of drone and robot style gadgets through the years, and while grenades aren't really his style it is certainly Insomniac's.

I like that Insomniac got to put their spin on spidey, makes it feel like they aren't just retreading ground we've covered already

• Options
    Yeah, I'm not picky about it because I know there's got to be stuff I've missed, Spidey is always coming up with stuff to fight with.

I like sticking with webs because that's just what feels best to me, but Spidey games should be more about fun than strict adherence to canon.

• Options
    I know I'm playing Spider-Man, but there's just no way some of these guys I'm throwing off buildings aren't deeeeeeeeaaaaad.

Because when the last red blip for a fight is flying away from the building for a solid five seconds before the fight finally ends, there's no safe landing for that.

I remembered one of the old interviews specifically mentioning dudes flying off rooftops and that Spidey would hit them with webbing so they would just hang from the building. Looks like that was one of the things that was cut.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I remembered one of the old interviews specifically mentioning dudes flying off rooftops and that Spidey would hit them with webbing so they would just hang from the building. Looks like that was one of the things that was cut.

See, I thought this so I actually jumped off after a dude I kicked off a building. Turns out he gets stuck to the building with webbing. Sometimes it's the adjacent building to the one he gets thrown off from too.

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I've kept on eye on some baddies as they fall. Something will activate on the way down and attach them to the side of the closest building, as if Spidey attached a kind of "web mine" right before booting their asses off of the roof.

EDIT: See the post above

President Evil on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    If you look at the KO hit of an air combo, you can always see some web trailing off with the guy as they fly away. That's the web grenade attached to them.

This game is filled with little touches that really show that Insomniac put a ton of thought into everything.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Spider-Bro is ridiculous. It just rips through thug groups.

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »

See, I thought this so I actually jumped off after a dude I kicked off a building. Turns out he gets stuck to the building with webbing. Sometimes it's the adjacent building to the one he gets thrown off from too.

Yeah, there's some webbing thing which kicks in and latches them to the nearest object but I don't care if some handy web-o-matic thing latches you to a lamp post after a ten-story drop, you are still super-dead. It's also fairly easy to miss seeing it if you don't keep watching enemies after you knock them off a high point; the auto-web doesn't kick in until they've fallen a decent distance, so it's pretty easy for it to kick in after they drop out of line out sight over a building edge.

But I love that the detail is there so there's no need to force Spidey to break character or deal with obnoxious limits to prevent people from getting knocked off ledges. It's also pretty entertaining to watch that last guy go flying off a roof and then get auto-webbed to a lamp post, hanging upside-down.

• Options
    If you look at the KO hit of an air combo, you can always see some web trailing off with the guy as they fly away. That's the web grenade attached to them.

This game is filled with little touches that really show that Insomniac put a ton of thought into everything.

Like the fact that there is an entire duplicate set of voice acting lines for when you're swinging and when you're on the ground, when you're on comms.

When you're swinging, Pete sounds like he's exerting himself, and it's context sensitive. I tested it out

That is astonishing polish

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    How do I actually activate this pre-order DLC? I redeemed it after I started a game, but I don't know how to get it to "take". It's supposed to be a few extra upgrade points and a new suit,

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    How do I actually activate this pre-order DLC? I redeemed it after I started a game, but I don't know how to get it to "take". It's supposed to be a few extra upgrade points and a new suit,

It should be active once you start the game. I think after the prologue is when you can start leveling up your skills. Basically after you get your first level up. After that when you go to skill up you should have five extra skill points. As for the suits, when you advance the story enough to have new suits you'll have more of them unlocked than the first one or two that you get at the start.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »

I saw one stream where someone got kicked right into the blades of a helicopter. They bounced off and presumably got webbed to a wall eventually, but no. I think we all know that sucker got shredded.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Pics
    ydb7dsr623w2.jpg

311bc9ddjhlq.jpg

t6xlcs4owaaz.jpg

j2r4748ahnda.jpg

v5fs82yjfwxm.jpg

9yis1jkhljc1.jpg

jrnltwjs8gs3.jpg

hue8iz59ng0c.jpg

ln3k2szo187c.jpg

Folks, this game is so good.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    They nailed Spider-Man's quipping in this game. I'm consistently grinning at what he's saying to the random mooks and his interactions with Yuri on the phone.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    This game is great. The movement just feels so perfect. I've been doing all the collectable stuff as soon as it shows up because its an excuse to swing through the city. Just so good.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    This game is great. The movement just feels so perfect. I've been doing all the collectable stuff as soon as it shows up because its an excuse to swing through the city. Just so good.

I really don't like the research missions, though...

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Pics

311bc9ddjhlq.jpg

This one's great!

• Options

There's one where you have to deal with fish in the water that sucked, but otherwise I found them all to be pretty fun.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    I kinda had to crack a grin at the pigeons with visible green bio-gas to represent having the flu.

• Options

There's one where you have to deal with fish in the water that sucked, but otherwise I found them all to be pretty fun.

I've had to do the swing through the smog one twice now, and neither time were very fun. I'm mostly just doing them to get them out of the way.

• Options

I've had to do the swing through the smog one twice now, and neither time were very fun. I'm mostly just doing them to get them out of the way.

I liked those missions. They were fun little swinging with a purpose missions.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options

I liked those missions. They were fun little swinging with a purpose missions.

Spider-Cop always swings with a purpose.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Boy I hate the big dudes. I had one side mission where it was 7-8 guys on a tiny roof top, two of them were big guys, and they proceeded to beat the shit out of me because I had almost nowhere to go.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Enjoying in the game but hate the different gates. I’m low 20’s in level. I’ve got all backpacks and almost all landmarks. Opened all scanners and a huge chunk out of everything else. The problem is I’ve not unlocked challenges yet and that’s the only currency that’s holding me back on gadget upgrades and maybe a suit or two.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Boy I hate the big dudes. I had one side mission where it was 7-8 guys on a tiny roof top, two of them were big guys, and they proceeded to beat the shit out of me because I had almost nowhere to go.

What level are you?
    Once you've got some more skills and gadgets you've got a lot of options to take them out, or at least split them up a bit so you can take them apart more easily.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Enjoying in the game but hate the different gates. I’m low 20’s in level. I’ve got all backpacks and almost all landmarks. Opened all scanners and a huge chunk out of everything else. The problem is I’ve not unlocked challenges yet and that’s the only currency that’s holding me back on gadget upgrades and maybe a suit or two.

See I much like the gates otherwise I'd end up with nothing left to do side mission wise on the back half of the game.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

See I much like the gates otherwise I'd end up with nothing left to do side mission wise on the back half of the game.

I had slowed on the story as I had a bit of combat trouble early on till it clicked. So I spent most of my time swinging here and there and fighting as much as I could. I should just focus on the story now as most everything is locked now. Though I did unlock the 2nd bases which are my least favorite so far.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »

What level are you?
    Once you've got some more skills and gadgets you've got a lot of options to take them out, or at least split them up a bit so you can take them apart more easily.

13ish? Things have started opening up a little bit but I still have limitations.

I spent almost all my points getting the air based stuff because I wanted to really move through the city but not a ton of combat options there.

My main thing is the air combo stuff, but obviously that doesn’t work on the brutes.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »

What level are you?

13ish? Things have started opening up a little bit but I still have limitations.

I spent almost all my points getting the air based stuff because I wanted to really move through the city but not a ton of combat options there.

My main thing is the air combo stuff, but obviously that doesn’t work on the brutes.

The various web gear you get is what really helps. Unfortunately, a lot of that stuff opens up as you progress the main story. Things like Web Grenades will make those situations like the above a piece of cake, because the entire small roof will be within range of the grenade, and you'll web almost everyone up with a single use (shield enemies can protect themselves from it). If you're having issues, you might want to push ahead in the story a bit to open up another one or two new gear options.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    While some of these suits are just horrible, the white spider is really growing on me. I really like it.

• Options
    Tulabelle wrote: »
    While some of these suits are just horrible, the white spider is really growing on me. I really like it.

Aside from the Stark suit and the new White Spider, I haven't really liked any of the suits. The Noir suit is ok but a bit too weird.

• Options
    Yeah it's a shame that most of these suits are ugly as hell

I'd say about a third look good, at most

• Options
    I like the Scarlet Spider suit. And I always put Noir on when I'm going into a sneaking mission.