Options

[Phalla] Big Trouble in The World Tree! Traveler/Evil Victory - Thanks for playing

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    Some odd notes:
    No new OOO with the shields now out there.

If mafia don't have a kill what is the purpose of a village guard?

This is a fair question. I mean, what happens if we get to day three and there's still not a (more or less) identifiable "mafia" kill? How do we function moving forward if the possibility is one or two or maybe even *zero* people we can point to as the "enemy"?

I keep coming back to the initial narration of how it's a game of peace and love or whatever. Are we failing the whole premise of the game in some fundamental way? What would a pacifism route look like for the village under current conditions, preserving or quarantining the currently infected?

In the source material, is it just one creature corrupting the previously idyllic world?

The only thing I've rung out between the wiki and the game so far is that *maybe* the water of life could be used to clear up a corruption

Someone who's actually played the thing would probably be worth their weight in gold right about now

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Please join me in voting out AustinPnumbers

But make sure to only allow the winning vote to equal a prime number. Make sure to yell out the name of your favorite color when voting (our generous host has been kind of enough to wire tap your entire house), and dont ever ever plorf, this is super most important of all.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    Given the ominous narration, I will go out and say it: the person who claimed to be infected to me in private was PsychoCucumber. Another person privately confirmed that they had told them the same thing.

For what it's worth, Psycho gave me permission to out them if I saw fit. I was hoping to let them do it themself, but now with the possibility they have been converted I feel it's the best option.

The person who seems to be pushing the hardest against coming back from infection is the other infected...who still never came out themselves and said so. Now we have presumably one of the two infected walking into the miasma.

Nope, that doesn’t seem sketchy at all PsychoCucumber

• Options
    PsychoCucumberPsychoCucumber Registered User regular
    I have gotten no messages. Which is making me pretty skeptical of LostNinja and his miracle cure. The targeted conversion is exactly why I didn't want to out myself in the thread. Now I have to get someone to hammer me, in case I get 'cured' too.

In all fairness, the hammer is a pretty well known Dwarven Cure-All

If the hammer don't work, get the axe. Second rule of dwarven troubleshooting.

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    I got a message that I feel better so if it’s a conversion it appears it’s something a village special can cure if you come forward.

Maybe two can be infected per night and we have two village specials (a dwarf and an elf) that can cure them? We should probably target facitious’s infected contact today.

Also anyone infected should publicly step forward like I did so they can be cured.

I’m pretty convinced at this point that Discrider was village and the crimson color on their death was a host plot device with a small mafia choosing who to infect.

You're welcome for that Lost!

Yes, I'm claiming the cure ability. I wasn't sure it would work as a cure (sounds more like a guard as worded) but I'm stoked to see that it does!

What about Psycho. I can try to cure him but would we trust whatever he reports? It kinda sucks but I i'm leaning towards taking him out being the right call.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Based on previous games (obviously not a fair indicator of every how things work), you basically had one night to cure something, and then it was too late. I'm not sure we can count on that cure hitting and doing anything.

• Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    JPants wrote: »
    I got a message that I feel better so if it’s a conversion it appears it’s something a village special can cure if you come forward.

Maybe two can be infected per night and we have two village specials (a dwarf and an elf) that can cure them? We should probably target facitious’s infected contact today.

Also anyone infected should publicly step forward like I did so they can be cured.

I’m pretty convinced at this point that Discrider was village and the crimson color on their death was a host plot device with a small mafia choosing who to infect.

Yes, I'm claiming the cure ability. I wasn't sure it would work as a cure (sounds more like a guard as worded) but I'm stoked to see that it does!

What about Psycho. I can try to cure him but would we trust whatever he reports? It kinda sucks but I i'm leaning towards taking him out being the right call.

Well, the narration sure implies that only one person was actually converted last night. We spent all day yesterday talking about how they were related to conversions or kills. If you’re claiming to have cured Lost, then killing Psycho is the right call.

As king as Psycho turns up non-villager, that would confirm both your story, and would seem to confirm LostNinja as village as well.

If Psycho still shows as village, we can always kill Lost tomorrow.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Given the ominous narration, I will go out and say it: the person who claimed to be infected to me in private was PsychoCucumber. Another person privately confirmed that they had told them the same thing.

For what it's worth, Psycho gave me permission to out them if I saw fit. I was hoping to let them do it themself, but now with the possibility they have been converted I feel it's the best option.

The person who seems to be pushing the hardest against coming back from infection is the other infected...who still never came out themselves and said so. Now we have presumably one of the two infected walking into the miasma.

Ah, so the brainwashed infected claiming the miracle cure has decided the one who has been skeptical of him is definitely the convert. Right. For what its worth, now that we both have to die, I think it would be better to use the racial weapons to do it. I'm concerned that the vote would cause the infection to spread further, just by the way the narration was worded when I got infected.

PsychoCucumber on
  • Options
    I will say that the hammerdwarf may be the best option for Cucumber removal at this point.

We would t want to lose a whole day of arguing in the thread, now would we?

• Options

Ah, so the brainwashed infected claiming the miracle cure has decided the one who has been skeptical of him is definitely the convert. Right. For what its worth, now that we both have to die, I think it would be better to use the racial weapons to do it. I'm concerned that the vote would cause the infection to spread further, just by the way the narration was worded when I got infected.

When they were not forthcoming at all while doing so, yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Trying to discredit the possibility while not showing how you benefit in doing so is extremely sketchy and suspicious.

• Options
    I will also point out for the record, that if Jpants is really able to cure people, if you are feeling a bit of a headache, you may want to let him know.

• Options
    I will say that the hammerdwarf may be the best option for Cucumber removal at this point.

We would t want to lose a whole day of arguing in the thread, now would we?

I think using a way someone suspicious recommends to take them out is a very bad idea tbh, they could be able to guard it and waste another day.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    So I may be reading too much into things, but a lot of what JPants and LostNinja are typing just seem.. fake to me somehow.

This especially:

It reads to me as trying really hard to sound like an enthusiastic, go-getting villager.

More than just instinct about text, though, we have reason to believe that such a power didn't exist yet. If we're voting to give people powers, AND there's an infection/conversion mechanic that is slowly creating more monsters, it's entirely plausible that that power didn't exist right away. It's common knowledge by now that the racial vote on day one was a vig, not a cure.

Also, if LostNinja was the one who claimed to receive a late PM from 38thDoe, that strikes me as suspicious too. Maybe the mafia* heard about people claiming infection, and saw an opportunity to jump in with a similar claim.

*if we're assuming a 'traditional' mafia, which is certainly still debatable.

I stick by my reasoning for JPants, but the safer option here would be to vote out

LostNinja

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    I was extremely forthcoming. I spoke with several people about what happened. I just didn't want to go totally public, because it seemed reasonable that the mafia had abilities that could capitalize on the infected state. It also seemed reasonable that the infection was not a targeted ability, but a sort of splash damage effect from discrider. I stand by that reasoning. We still don't really know what the hell is going on.

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    I was extremely forthcoming. I spoke with several people about what happened. I just didn't want to go totally public, because it seemed reasonable that the mafia had abilities that could capitalize on the infected state. It also seemed reasonable that the infection was not a targeted ability, but a sort of splash damage effect from discrider. I stand by that reasoning. We still don't really know what the hell is going on.

There's no problem with you staying hidden. Other than it made it so we couldn't cure you before you got turned.

• Options
    So I may be reading too much into things, but a lot of what JPants and LostNinja are typing just seem.. fake to me somehow.

This especially:

It reads to me as trying really hard to sound like an enthusiastic, go-getting villager.

More than just instinct about text, though, we have reason to believe that such a power didn't exist yet. If we're voting to give people powers, AND there's an infection/conversion mechanic that is slowly creating more monsters, it's entirely plausible that that power didn't exist right away. It's common knowledge by now that the racial vote on day one was a vig, not a cure.

Also, if LostNinja was the one who claimed to receive a late PM from 38thDoe, that strikes me as suspicious too. Maybe the mafia* heard about people claiming infection, and saw an opportunity to jump in with a similar claim.

*if we're assuming a 'traditional' mafia, which is certainly still debatable.

I stick by my reasoning for JPants, but the safer option here would be to vote out

LostNinja

I don’t completely disagree, facetious, but I think we can get where you are going in other ways, that have some potentially better outcomes for the village.

Narration sure made it sound like a conversion took place. We know there are two people who were most likely to be converted.

With Jpants coming out and saying he cured LostNinja, that gives us two people in public on the lie. Right now, PsychCucumber is the only person on the other side.

Unless we seriously want to consider that NEITHER Psycho nor Lost were the converted last night, it’s likely that one of them is lying. If we kill Psycho, we can potentially confirm two people. If we kill Lost, we would only confirm one.

On the other hand, if both Lost and Jpants are lying, that gives us two mafia for the price of killing one villager.

Either way, we learn the same thing, but killing Psycho Cuvumber first and only today gives us the most potential benefit.

• Options

There's no problem with you staying hidden. Other than it made it so we couldn't cure you before you got turned.

But I didn't get turned. Because i stayed hidden, i would assume. You and your puppet LostNinja are out here proselytizing, but i aint buying the snake oil.

Let's think about this cure idea. Typically, cult games have a pretty small starting mafia. Looking at our difficulty in nailing down any strong suspects beyond disc, that seems like a fair assumption. It also doesnt seem as though the mafia in this game has an actual kill. Meaning their only hope of winning is to propogate through the village, winning through sheer numbers. It also seems as though conversions require a known infected, and a targeted ability. That seems pretty tough on the mafia already, to the degree that I think a cure ability would be massively overpowered.

But hell, I could be completely wrong, I'm just a villager with a brain parasite, after all, not an elf guru. But I don't think you are, either.

Jpants

• Options

But I didn't get turned. Because i stayed hidden, i would assume. You and your puppet LostNinja are out here proselytizing, but i aint buying the snake oil.

Let's think about this cure idea. Typically, cult games have a pretty small starting mafia. Looking at our difficulty in nailing down any strong suspects beyond disc, that seems like a fair assumption. It also doesnt seem as though the mafia in this game has an actual kill. Meaning their only hope of winning is to propogate through the village, winning through sheer numbers. It also seems as though conversions require a known infected, and a targeted ability. That seems pretty tough on the mafia already, to the degree that I think a cure ability would be massively overpowered.

But hell, I could be completely wrong, I'm just a villager with a brain parasite, after all, not an elf guru. But I don't think you are, either.

Jpants

first bolded: it’s been two days, that seems fairly standard for a game with a not obvious alliance reveal in night 1

Second bolded: why would this be the case? I’ve not really played in a lot of games with cults/conversions, but typically it isn’t a game of “find out who’s infected so we can convert them”, the ones doing the infecting already know who it is.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    @Erin The Red

Sorry for the missed shot last night.
    I'll talk to ya about my thoughts with you on that target postgame.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular

Jpants

Couple of things, if you are right then the small mafia just put two of their members in the lime light... this seems less likely than you a lone new convert panicing.

Secondly, I actually doubt the mafia doesn't have a kill, as that makes the village guard ability a red herring. More likely, they have a pool of abilities (or maybe some restrictions like the racial even/odd weapons). Based on last nights narration there were no additional people infected, but a conversion instead. You also assume infection is random, which seems unlikely, if its a mafia ability.

There is still the option all three (psycho, JPants and Lost) are telling the truth. If more than two people were infected night one than there are potentially more conversion candidates (or maybe infection and conversion are not linked but seperate mechanics).

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    I have to agree with LostNinja in that it's only an assumption that the mafia don't know who the infected are.

• Options
    Oh, it's completely an assumption, based on really limited information. Same as we're assuming that was a conversion in narration last night. If I didn't think dying to the vote made the infected hatch like discrider, I'd be advocating that we kill both LostNinja and myself just to be safe, one vote, one vig. It might be that's still the best thing to do.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile in the Branches of the Tree...

Dwarves drank from the Fountain of Life, bathed in the fountain of life, and contemplated how lucky they were. The beautiful pure water sustained the tree, the civilization, and the world. The water poured forth from a secret spring, and remained clear and clean along its path no matter how many creatures drank from it or used it for their other business. Today the water was a beautiful blue color. The color seemed a little bluer than normal. A little thicker than normal. A blackish purple mist began to come off the stream...

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    :bigfrown:

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Admittedly, that post does make me find it more believable about getting a notice of infection later in the day as LostNinja apparently claimed, if 38th is willing to do such a late 'narration'.

Does that imply new infected, or potentially a full conversion, or both?

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    ALSO, NEW ORDER OF OPERATIONS:

Order of actions: VOTE >Guard>Kill> ???

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    OoOOOooOOOooo
    Sorry y'all, work was a real asshole this week and I didn't get to be as tuned in as I wanted
    OoOOOooOOOOOO

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Hey Dwarves, if you could not go on a homicidal rampage and kills us all, that would be great

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    SlimJimSlimJim Registered User regular
    Hey Dwarves, if you could not go on a homicidal rampage and kills us all, that would be great

Doesn't the "homi" in homicidal refer to humans? So it would be an elficidal rampage.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I believe Lost Ninja and Jpants. There is a dwarven guru out there as well, who revealed themselves to me yesterday but I didn't believe them because it sounded like a dumb name and it was a pretty suspect reveal. I thought they were just fishing for the other infected's name as a way to do something sinister to them (finish the conversion or whatever). They revealed that information to me prior to Jpants reveal and the power description lines up. I'm mad I wasn't around for the Jpants reveal when it happened because then I would have given the dwarven guru PsychoCucumber's name and we wouldn't be in this mess.

As it is, we need to know what happens when someone isn't cleansed after a single day and the conversion stuff in the narration makes me think that it converted PsychoCucumber. Sorry man, you gotta die for science. This feels like a really smart conversion mechanic, personally. It gives the player some choice in the matter (which conversions generally dont and I hate that) to either reveal and try to get fixed/cleansed or not reveal and let the conversion happen.

According to both of the previously infected, this happened as a result of Discrider's death. Which leads me to believe that he actually was mafia and had a death mechanic. I wouldn't be surprised if all mafia have that same death mechanic. So we need to keep our guru's alive, since we will definitely need them whenever we get a red kill. If our guards work the same way as our vigs, then we only have one a night. You've got a tough choice to make between defending the our revealed Vig or defending our revealed guru tonight. I don't think of Virgil as confirmed in any way, since I am starting to come around to the idea of a mafia being here from the beginning which, if there was a mafia to start, means I trust him even less. I trust our gurus at this point since if this is some mafia gambit then its insanely stupid because that would mean jpants, lostninja, and this other guru player all just revealed themselves as mafia and that's gotta be the majority of them and that would be soooo dumb. Occam's razor in this case, imo.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    You know what, no, this PsychoCucumber vote is too easy and is going to ruin any kind of voting record we get today. We obviously can't rely on a vig since if the mafia has guard, they will likely be protecting their high profile convert in the case of them not being voted out.

I'd recommend that even if we do vote out Pyscho tonight, that we all put in a different vote prior in order to give us an actual voting record.

I'm going back with BlueCyan since now that I feel more confident discrider was actually mafia, his placement on the Austin wagon on day 1 is extremely suspect.

• Options
    SlimJim wrote: »

Doesn't the "homi" in homicidal refer to humans? So it would be an elficidal rampage.

Just don't be "cidial" at all, ok?

• Options

Just don't be "cidial" at all, ok?

Uggghhh FINE, sorry Elfcleaver, you'll have to stay at home today.

• Options
    Day 1 Results
    Vote Results

discrider [8] - vagrant_winds (4), ObiFett (18), SaberOverEasy (21), chamberlain (22), Auralynx (27), AustinP0027 (29), mrpaku (30), Wildcat (31)
    AustinP0027 [5] - Auralynx (1), Virgil_Leads_You (24), JPants (25), Bluecyan (28), jdarksun (32), discrider (33)
    JPants [2] - Bedlam (5), premium (8)
    Bluecyan [1] - Locus (6)
    Brody [1] - LostNinja (12)
    facetious [1] - SlimJim (10)
    jdarksun [1] - Brody (19)
    mrpaku [1] - Cythraul (20)
    ObiFett [1] - Virgil_Leads_You (2), facetious (26)
    PsychoCucumber [1] - Erin The Red (15)
    Wildcat [1] - facetious (13), PsychoCucumber (14)
    Bedlam [0] - JPants (7)
    chamberlain [0] - Bluecyan (23)
    Erin The Red [0] - discrider (3), chamberlain (16)
    LostNinja [0] - SaberOverEasy (17)
    premium [0] - mrpaku (9)

SlimJim [0] - AustinP0027 (11)

Did Note Vote: kime, Preda, MrTLicious

Order
    1. Auralynx - AustinP0027
    2. Virgil_Leads_You - ObiFett
    3. discrider - Erin The Red
    4. vagrant_winds - discrider
    5. Bedlam - Jpants
    6. Locus - Bluecyan
    7. Jpants - Bedlam
    8. premium - Jpants
    9. mrpaku - premium
    10. SlimJim - facetious
    11. AustinP0027 - SlimJim
    12. LostNinja - Brody
    13. facetious - Wildcat
    14. PsychoCucumber - Wildcat
    15. Erin The Red - PsychoCucumber
    16. chamberlain - Erin The Red
    17. SaberOverEasy - LostNinja
    18. ObiFett - discrider
    19. Brody - jdarksun
    20. Cythraul - mrpaku
    21. SaberOverEasy - discrider
    22. chamberlain - discrider
    23. Bluecyan - chamberlain
    24. Virgil_Leads_You - AustinP0027
    25. JPants - AustinP0027
    26. facetious - ObiFett
    27. Auralynx - discrider
    28. Bluecyan - AustinP0027
    29. AustinP0027 - discrider
    30. mrpaku - discrider
    31. Wildcat - discrider
    32. jdarksun - AustinP0027
    33. discrider - AustinP0027

Day 2 Results
    Vote Results

MrTLicious [9] - ObiFett (12), AustinP0027 (20), Locus (21), Brody (23), Auralynx (24), mrpaku (25), Jpants (26), chamberlain (27), LostNinja (28), Wildcat (35), kime (36)
    Jpants [5] - facetious (1), MrTLicious (2), Erin The Red (9), SlimJim (11), LostNinja (22), Bluecyan (33), SaberOverEasy (34)
    Erin The Red [4] - jdarksun (29), AustinP0027 (30), Cythraul (31), Virgil_Leads_You (32)
    Virgil_Leads_You [4] - SaberOverEasy (3), Jdarksun (4), Preda (10), ObiFett (16), Auralynx (17), premium (18), MrTLicious (37)
    AustinP0027 [1] - Bedlam (15)
    Bluecyan [1] - Locus (5), Jpants (6), mrpaku (13)
    kime [0] - Blyecyan (8), Jpants (19)
    ObiFett [0] - Auralynx (14)
    SaberOverEasy [0] - Virgil_Leads_You (7)

Did Note Vote: PsychoCucumber, vagrant_winds

Order
    1. facetious - Jpants
    2. MrTLicious - Jpants
    3. SaberOverEasy - Virgil_Leads_You
    4. Jdarksun - Virgil_Leads_You
    5. Locus - Bluecyan
    6. Jpants - Bluecyan
    7. Virgil_Leads_You - SaberOverEasy
    8. Bluecyan - Kime
    9. Erin The Red - Jpants
    10. Preda - Virgil_Leads_You
    11. SlimJim - Jpants
    12. ObiFett - MrTLicious
    13. mrpaku - Bluecyan
    14. Auralynx - ObiFett
    15. Bedlam - AustinP0027
    16. ObiFett - Virgil_Leads_You
    17. Auralynx - Virgil_Leads_You
    18. premium - Virgil_Leads_You
    19. Jpants - kime
    20. AustinP0027 - MrTLicious
    21. Locus - MrTLicious
    22. LostNinja - Jpants
    23. Brody - MrTLicious
    24. Auralynx - MrTLicious
    25. mrpaku - MrTLicious
    26. Jpants - MrTLicious
    27. chamberlain - MrTLicious
    28. LostNinja - MrTLicious
    29. jdarksun - Erin The Red
    30. AustinP0027 - Erin The Red
    31. Cythraul - Erin The Red
    32. Virgil_Leads_You - Erin The Red
    33. Bluecyan - Jpants
    33. SaberOverEasy - Jpants
    33. MrTLicious - Virgil_Leads_You
    33. Wildcat - MrTLicious
    33. kime - MrTLicious

• Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    kime wrote: »
    I'm reading that as an infected person who left the village and transformed into a monster.

Probably, yeah. Conversions are just super rare in games, so it's worthwhile to keep other things in mind since it's only day three.

Sure, but we haven’t seen ANY evidence that the mafia has any sort of kill. They need to win somehow, and conversions seem like the right way.
    I'm just going to echo what Bluecyan said and note that just because we haven't seen any mafia kills yet doesn't mean they aren't coming. Why else have a guard then? It's entirely possible there have been no mafia kills because there's been no guard.

So far what we've seen in this game is progression. First we had no (known) specials. Then we gained vigilantes. Then we gained guards.

One person died on Day One. Two people died on Day Two.

I think it's reasonable to assume that the mafia is also progressing. I agree that conversions seem pretty likely at the moment as the vehicle for that progression. I would not be surprised at all, however, if one or more mafia kills start showing up tonight too.

Locus on
  • Options
    Is it possible that the mafia could have converted someone other than LostNinja or PsychoCucumber? Though out of the two of those I think PsychoCucumber is more likely converted cause as people have mentioned above, too many people who need to be lying for LostNinja to be evil.

• Options
    I'm not super crazy about Blue's voting record either.

Jumped on my wagon day 1 (not really going to overly fault anyone for this) but then day 2, voted for Jpants, Jpants claims special, doesn't change vote but responds after.

The combination of the two seems sketchy. Specifically, whether you believe him or not, village generally avoids voting a person out the day they claim special, but Blue kept their vote in place.

Bluecyan

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I'd be interested to see either PsychoCucumber or Bluecyan's true colors, for sure.

• Options
    Is it possible that the mafia could have converted someone other than LostNinja or PsychoCucumber? Though out of the two of those I think PsychoCucumber is more likely converted cause as people have mentioned above, too many people who need to be lying for LostNinja to be evil.

If that were true, either 1) 3 people were infected after Day 1 or 2) Conversion doesn't require a day of "baking" to land.

If it's #2, I think we're boned, as we'd never be able to keep up with an instant convert.
    If it's #1, it seems strange that someone would tell no one about it, as that seems like playing against your own win con

Overall, seems unlikely it wasn't one of those two who was converted.

• Options
    I’m not a fan of the BlueCyan vote since they were the first to point out that there wasn’t a new secret vote last night.

Unless we decided the mafia do know about those votes and can participate using their cover role?