As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DOTA 2] The International 2019

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    It's the killer flower plant gun from Grim Fandango!

cwqw0ftfomul.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2022

MrBody on
  • Options
    Trying out that free Dota Plus trial period.

I'd say it's worth paying for almost entirely just to be able to span the "crybaby" sound when a teammate starts tilting.

• Options
    So this is the most recent Silencer guide on Dotafire

3ba1peh8vo5t.jpg

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I managed to get Phalanxbot working on Dota and it's a very fun bot to play with because it just wants to fucking fight. Fight everyone. Including that guy there, yeah fuck him in particular, let's KILL HIM.

Plus it utilizes a lot of heroes that you just don't see in action otherwise.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I've been playing a lot of Lina and Gondar. Lina is just crazy strong right now in all roles and I imagine Fiery Soul will get a big attack speed nerf this next patch. Bounty Hunter is just fun in Offlane because you can make space for your other lanes, harass the opponents carry without the need for mana, and steal their gold too. He's like a good off-meta pick that can really screw with your opponents in lane and provides good enough support and priority for spells.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    She can burst, she can CC, she can wave clear, she can jungle, she can dps at a crazy range.

Lina is so good, I question the rationale for ever picking any other burst support.

Like, why would you ever pick Lion when Lina can do almost anything he can PLUS way better wave clear and auto attack dps?

(although, I remember the same being said back in the Heroes of Newerth days that there was no point to playing Witch Hunter instead of Pyromancer)

MrBody on
  • Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    She can burst, she can CC, she can wave clear, she can jungle, she can dps at a crazy range.

Lina is so good, I question the rationale for ever picking any other burst support.

Like, why would you ever pick Lion when Lina can do almost anything he can PLUS way better wave clear and auto attack dps?

(although, I remember the same being said back in the Heroes of Newerth days that there was no point to playing Witch Hunter instead of Pyromancer)

Because everyone loves that feeling of having 20 Finger of Death kills plus Aghs and Refresher and just deleting the other team.

• Options
    Or at least the feeling of thinking they're going to reach that point in a match.

• Options
    Or at least the feeling of thinking they're going to reach that point in a match.

Oh, yeah, absolutely this.

But also, probably, 1/10 or 15 or whatever times they play, they actually pull it off and have 4,000 health and get that sweet clip made they can send to friends of when they deleted the other team.

And then the other 9 or 14 or whatever times they play, sadness.

• Options
    There's a good chance I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'd like to proclaim...

Please stop buying Midas and Battle Fury

Midas isn't worth it on anyone but Ogre Mage. Gold now is worth more than slightly more gold later. Sinking that 1800(!) into any other damage item will help your farm more.

For Battle Fury...hear me out. I think it is vastly overvalued as a rush first farm item. For 4000+ gold, there are usually better options for farm and hero killing. You're tying up 1600 gold for regen that might not even benefit you that much. For most auto attack heroes, you're better off with a Morbid Mask for sustain: it's cheaper and it builds into better items. Even for late carriers with otherwise atrocious wave and camp clear, going for a Manta would be better.

I think the best situation for BF isn't even farming: it's countering illusion heroes. Possibly as a later item if the enemy team is bad with clumping up, but only AFTER getting other damage items.

The only farm situation I can think of where BF becomes decent is if the rest of your team is REALLY on the ball with constantly stacking camps.

Disclaimer:
    I'm talking about my level (probably Herald) of play and average pub unranked games. PA would get off the ground way faster with a different item. Ursa is way better off with a blink, or diffusal, or Vlad's.

• Options
    I've been learning how to play Invoker and it irritates me how all the builds have you build Midas, like, right away. You get your talisman, your brown boots, and then it's Midas time! Get that Midas!

I don't really get it, either. At that stage of the game I am fucking starving for mana. Starving. I need Eul's or Kaya or witch dagger or something like that, gimme some Int or mana regen or both.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    A long time ago, I recall the justification was for the extra XP to get levels faster.

• Options
    So an increasingly popular strategy is blocking enemy camps with a sentry ward. Very annoying. Been hearing some streamers claim it's going to explode and make the game rather boring unless Valve does something about it.

Also been seeing more people try to play Riki as a support. His shard sleep + Aether and they just hang out around fights to throw a sleep+smoke down. And that's it? I have to say if you're going to be support, there are better choices.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    A very intellectual and mature conversion from my team right at match start:

Lina: Check out my boobs. They're great.
    Rubrick: I spellsteal your boobs. They're mine now.
    Rubrick: I will buy Aghanim's and make them bigger.

MrBody on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Riki supp is big in the competitive meta right now. Generally for use in picking someone off right at the start of a fight / setup on solo heroes.

It's been very effective but needs coordination to use to it's fullest

• Options
    I was gonna say, hasn't Riki support been a thing for a long time now?

• Options
    101 wrote: »
    Riki supp is big in the competitive meta right now. Generally for use in picking someone off right at the start of a fight / setup on solo heroes.

It's been very effective but needs coordination to use to it's fullest

I've seen it used twice in random pub games of 5 strangers where the Riki:

-Goes bottle for side lane
    -Still has half an inventory of branches and faeries fires at 26 minutes
    -Ran around for 10 minutes with an experience tome in backpack

• Options
    That feels like it says less about Riki in a support role and more about the player.

• Options
    In the context of "effective at competitive level with high coordination of players who know what they're doing".

• Options
    thkfdgwrk7mb.jpg

• Options
    Today, we permanently banned over 40,000 accounts that were using third-party software to cheat in Dota over the last few weeks. This software was able to access information used internally by the Dota client that wasn't visible during normal gameplay, giving the cheater an unfair advantage.

While fixing the underlying issues that made these cheats possible was a priority, we have also decided to remove these bad actors from the active Dota playerbase.With that goal in mind, we released a patch as soon as we understood the method these cheats were using. This patch created a honeypot: a section of data inside the game client that would never be read during normal gameplay, but that be read by these exploits. Each of the accounts banned today read from this "secret" area in the client, giving us extremely high confidence that every ban was well-deserved.

The prevalence of this family of cheats means that today's ban wave is particularly large, but it's only the latest action in an ongoing campaign. While the battle against cheaters and cheat developers often takes place in the shadows, we wanted to make this example visible, and use it to make our position clear: If you are running any application that reads data from the Dota client as you're playing games, your account can be permanently banned from playing Dota. This includes professional players, who will be banned from all Valve competitive events.

Dota is a game best enjoyed when played on an even field, where victories are earned by skill and tenacity. We expect that some players will continue to develop and use new exploits, to continue to try to gain unfair advantages at the expense of other players. As before, we will continue to detect and remove these exploits as they come, and continue to ban users who cheat.Lastly, we'd like to thank those who offered their time and energy to help us resolve this — from those who reported a player acting suspiciously in-game, to those who reviewed overwatch cases where this behavior was observed. Thank you for helping to make Dota a better experience for everyone.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    don't use anything that gives you information about the game you normally wouldn't have.

unless it's the one you pay us monthly for

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    "Based on our current financial outlook, and how challenging the next year looks, we’ve decided that it would be irresponsible to keep BTS going in its current structure. So, after nearly 11 years in business, we’ve made the extremely difficult decision to let all our people go."

Sucks. I loved watching Smash Summit and BTS was where I caught a lot of tournaments for Dota as well.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    :'(

• Options
    So Fangs seems completely dead. 35 minutes and no match found.

Has anyone tried Predecessor? Wondering how it differs from Strife. The character art looks...pretty bland.

• Options
    So Fangs seems completely dead. 35 minutes and no match found.

Has anyone tried Predecessor? Wondering how it differs from Strife. The character art looks...pretty bland.

Not yet, I saw some gameplay and it looks fun enough. I didn't want to spend $20 on it though... I did uninstall Fangs though. Shame. I wish Battlerite and Royale were just more popular. They really hit a good balance and shouldn't have fell off like they did but the devs kept jumping hoops for different releases.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Muerta out!

Her richochet shot seems busted. It's pretty easy to land, hard to stay safe from, and can easily screw someone over in early laning.

Her W is okay? I mostly use to clear waves.

Her E is meh. I can't see not always leveling it last.

Her ult is okay? Being immune to physical damage is the most useful part of it, but you're also completely useless against anyone with BKB up.

No scepter or shard upgrade! :o

I imagine always going with her richochet shot talents. It's basically a non-channeled nuke version of Lich's sinister gaze, trickier to land but less risky. I'm seeing her as an early lane dominator, pos 3 or 4, who falls off later on.

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Ok, every video I see and Reddit post is calling Muerta the ultimate late game carry who out-dpses everyone with her E, ult, and Mjolnir.

This is not true. I did tests with her and a bunch of carries. Level 25, 15k gold of their best pure damage items, against a target dummy.

Muerta was beaten by every single one. The only one she almost beat was Sniper, scoring 1300 dps to his 900. But that was against a single dummy. Sticking mutliple dummies together, like a real fight would be, her primary target dps fell to the 700s.

People are saying her true dps is much higher since her ult makes it magic damage, but then you figure the other team is getting Pipe, plus BKB drops her dps to absolute zero (as do towers).

As far as being a late right click carry, I'd put her above Hoodwink, below Willow. You're playing her for her early laning bullying potential and momentum, not late game carrying.

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I clocked her for basically what Lina is at the moment, a decent right click Int Carry. She can play pos 4 because her W is actually really great for spacing and silence. Plus you can combo fear into push with force to basically skewer enemies way out of position. They never give new heroes Scepter or Shards so we'll see that in the April update I suppose after people get comfortable with her. Unless someone figures out a broken combo, she really is just an average to decent addition that will see play mainly because of the freshness of the hero. I also think her fear will get nerfed.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    I played her against PhalanxBots in Pos 1, and I agree and disagree with what's been said about her. She is a camp and wave clearing machine. Her jungling is super good, because she can aggro multiple camps with her Q, significantly damage them, and then just stand at some equidistant point between them and clean house. I was ramping up gold like crazy. I'd be very interested to see how quickly a pro player could farm with her.

I think one of the things missing from your target dummy test is that attack modifiers apply to both guns. Her item build needs to be similar to what you do for Hoodwink and Pangolier, only she's constantly doing it. So things like Daedalus, Maelstrom, Skadi, you just keep seeing their effects getting doubled or tossed to another target.

I agree very much about her Ult, however. It's good before everyone has BKB or Pipe but after that, ffffffforget about it. And human players will see Muerta on the other side of the field and rush Pipe ASAP.

• Options
    Her ult dispells too. So it has some utility late game. Basically changes into an escape instead of a damage boost.

• Options
    I just still find it funny that they showcase her ult by having her murder Necrophos.

So it's like, yeah so uh are you telling me her ult is good for killing Necrophos and Pugna and that's kinda it?

And yeah I completely stopped using her ult in teamfights. I just kept darkshotting enemy heroes toward me and just right-clicked them to death.

Plus her W has just a huge fucking range and duration. That is just silly for a silence effect, it's like Riki's smoke cloud. Causes a massive battle shift.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I think one of the things missing from your target dummy test is that attack modifiers apply to both guns. Her item build needs to be similar to what you do for Hoodwink and Pangolier, only she's constantly doing it. So things like Daedalus, Maelstrom, Skadi, you just keep seeing their effects getting doubled or tossed to another target.

The dummy test included Maelstrom, Daedalus, and Pike.

I'm just seeing tons of posts claiming "+70% total dps passive!!!", but it's not quite what people think it is. Those extra shots, or 41% of your total damage output, are spread out randomly to every target in range, and the procs are only on one extra target. It falls well short of something like Medusa split shot or illusion carries, other options that have way more proc attacks or the option of concentrating damage.

I think using her as a flash farming late carry is a mistake. There are WAY better carries for that purpose. Honestly, I would let another carry on my team have the stacked jungle camps and focus on dominating lanes during the mid game. She's not even the best late game right-click INT carry; Lina (still busted) and Willow beat her in that department.

She really does screw over melee carries during laning though. The instant they step in front of their ranged minion, you can hit them with a fear shot and force them to run into you. I would switch lanes if I was up against her.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Hmm, interesting.

Well I'll definitely give her several more plays. I do think it's kinda interesting that role-wise it's not really that clear where she belongs at the moment. I think she's good as a Pos 1 but I can easily see her pulling some Pos 4 garbage and her lane harassment would be pretty annoying if that's what she focused on. I've seen a couple comments about her being a potential Pos 2 but I don't......understand that. She'd have to bounce her darkshot off of enemy creeps and while it can be done, I think it's a pain in the ass. On the other hand, if you can cope with that restriction, and get your levels right away in mid, get her ult before the other team can mitigate it? Hmmm....

• Options
    edited March 2023
    I'm not sure about pos 2. With mid, you have to harass the enemy down to the point where a fear shot will let you kill them. Her attack range isn't good enough, and her Q too mana heavy for sustained harass.

With a sidelane, you can punish every fear shot with 2 heroes. Less of a need to harass them down low first.

Pos 1 might be doable if your team is capable of pushing an early lead and ending quick. With your average pub game? No way would I trust that.

I'm just dreading the inevitable teammates who will spend 35 minutes jungle farming like she was AM/PA/Alch.

MrBody on
  • Options
    I'm just dreading the inevitable teammates who will spend 35 minutes jungle farming like she was AM/PA/Alch.

I fear this with all my pubs picking pos2 so yeah... no difference here haha.

• Options
    This is why I don't play with humans anymore. It removes a lot of the obstacles I have to having dumb fun.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Rank is just a number, ya know what I mean :mrgreen: I play Bounty Hunter / Enchantress offlane, or Silencer / Enchantress/ Dark Willow mid, so I can't really complain about players not playing optimally.

I do get mad when people don't play as a team in our team game with team based objectives. Go farm in Diablo if you wanna solo camps for 30 minutes.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Ultimately I just like to play this stupid game and I don't like sitting in a queue just to find out I'm trapped for the next 45 minutes with a pack of assholes. And ultimately it's either people who don't want to play as a team or a bunch of tryhards who will micromanage me and tell me to stack camps no not there, not there either, put up wards, fuck you're useless, this guy is useless, blah blah blah.

Like, nah, I'm gonna load up a bot script and run Silencer in Pos 1 or 2 because it's fun and I like it and fuck people.

EDIT: Also fuck Valve for not coming up with another co-op variant for people to play in all this time after Aghanim's Labyrinth. That was such a fun game mode that it was literally all I played for a while, and I was actually starting to get other friends interested in playing it with me. Then Valve just gives it the axe and replaces it with fucking nothing.

I got so excited thinking this update might add a new co-op game but no it's just a fucking bounty minigame that you can only play online against people and incentivizes people to go out of their way to fuck a particular player over. Nice going Valve.

Thawmus on