As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of all the [movie] threads in all the forums in all the world, she walks into mine

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    i am watching the 1995 horror movie "mosquito"

my favorite part of the movie mosquito is where a giant mosquito kills a naked lady by sucking all her blood out from her butt
    Like, just chomps that cheek or something way more excessive?

I hate that I want to know this, because my brain sees a distinction and needs that clarity.

just bites into a cheek and sucks all the blood out

I saw this movie on the sci-fi channel in the 90's and when it became clear there weren't going to be any boobs I felt very cheated

This reminds me of so many teen age years of watching cinemax late at night. "Oh come on this was called CheerLeader Sex Party! THIS IS BULLSHIT!"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    well I own all the resident evil movies now

send in, the clones

I love the idea that Mila actually bothered to give each of the clones different personalities/behaviors for what is essentially one throwaway scene.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

what is going on here

it looks like there are Transformers in this movie that actually look like Transformers

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm willing to give it a shot purely on the basis of seeing Soundwave shooting Ravage out of his chest

I'm that easy to please

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Watched Coco

Pretty fucked up how I knew exactly what was gonna happen at any given point, yet I still cried so hard that my face is on fire

Preeeeetty fucked up

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Watched Coco

Pretty fucked up how I knew exactly what was gonna happen at any given point, yet I still cried so hard that my face is on fire

Preeeeetty fucked up

Goddamn good for nothing movie making my eyes hurt from crying.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular

send in, the clones

I love the idea that Mila actually bothered to give each of the clones different personalities/behaviors for what is essentially one throwaway scene.

Afterlife is such a great movie, everyone plays their character as hard as they can, and then Shawn Roberts plays an absolutely transcendental Wesker. Love it.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Watched Coco

Preeeeetty fucked up

Yeah, seems on brand for coco.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Rainfall wrote: »

send in, the clones

Afterlife is such a great movie, everyone plays their character as hard as they can, and then Shawn Roberts plays an absolutely transcendental Wesker. Love it.

Despite being a big resident evil fan and having loved the movies id never played 1, 5 or 6. When I finally got around to it it blew my mind how many scenes in the movies were homages to those games. Particularly the Wesker stuff. And the little mind control bug that has a glowing crystal on it. When I saw that in the movies I was like what the hell is that it's a weird design choice, it looks like a weak point for a boss fight. And then I played 5 and it straight up was

Prohass on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Watched Coco

Preeeeetty fucked up

Coco:
    I knew going into it the whole people who are forgotten die again but watching that old ghost die was still super rough. But I didn’t lose it until the end when they were desperately trying to get grandma to remember her dad and it looked like she wasn’t.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Fuck, I’m gonna cry just thinking about Coco. Quick, @Rorshach Kringle tell me what movie’s next for camp counseling!

sarukun on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Watched Coco

Preeeeetty fucked up

we talked about it before

but i think mystery box thinking has sort of really damaged both movie writing and watching

you totally know exactly whats gonna happen in coco

but thats okay and honestly it wouldnt have hit as hard if there was some crazy twist

love that movie. glad you liked it pooro!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    how dare you try to get me to reveal a camp counseling movie ahead of the show

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    i am watching the 1995 horror movie "mosquito"

my favorite part of the movie mosquito is where a giant mosquito kills a naked lady by sucking all her blood out from her butt
    Like, just chomps that cheek or something way more excessive?

I hate that I want to know this, because my brain sees a distinction and needs that clarity.

just bites into a cheek and sucks all the blood out

I saw this movie on the sci-fi channel in the 90's and when it became clear there weren't going to be any boobs I felt very cheated

i mean there are boobs in it

in that very scene, even!

you just ain't seeing 'em on basic cable

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's kind of a shame that everyone hated The Predator because I feel like it's a genuinely interesting film that desperately needed another script pass. It's kind of the perfect idea of a reboot, get a fresh set of eyes to look at the franchise and say "ok, this no longer works as a horror film. What if we turn it into an action comedy?". I think if there had never been another Predator movie, we'd be looking at this as a strange gem that came out of nowhere It gets more right than it gets wrong, but the things that it gets wrong are thunderingly stupid. Thankfully, most of the really dumb "here's what the predators are after" stuff is never actually confirmed, the dumb human characters just throw them out as theories. Here are the things that don't make it through the Tube script pass:
    Olivia Munn's character is just a renowned evolutionary biologist, not someone who wrote a letter to the president. Give her one line about having special forces training or some shit. The various incredibly wrong things she says about evolutionary biology are cut out.
    The dogs scene is rewritten, because it looks very goofy on screen
    No "autism is the next stage of human evolution". That's not how evolution works. I genuinely think Shane Black thought he was being progressive with this.
    Cut the line "I hear you wrote the book on evolutionary biology". She didn't. That book is very famous and was written before she was born
    Any theories about why the aliens are here should be put into the mouths of the dumb characters to make it clear that they're just coming up with shit
    Cut the last scene that feels like a post-credit sequence

I don't think the script (or the idea for the script) is unsalvageable, it just needed someone to get the red pen out.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think it had a broken script on a core level since the whole
    Autism is the NEXT STEP OF EVOLUTION thing is core to the movie they made

It is how the kid was able to decipher and use alien tech

It is why the Big Predator wanted to take him

It informs every part of that kid's, significant, role in the movie is clearly a thing Black wanted to tackle

Mental Illness and Autism were the themes of the movie and he handled them like dog shit

I mean at one point Tom Jane's character, who is basically a cartoon of a person with tourette's, is CURED of it because of a big action scene. Keegan Michael Key even comments on how hes back to his old self!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    They never establish that it's why the big predator wants him. Someone just says that as a possibility. If that line were cut out, I don't think any of us would have come up with it on our own from watching the movie. The kid doesn't need to be autistic, he can just be really smart. The twist is "the predators aren't interested in the biggest badass, they pick off the biggest badasses one by one as a hobby. They want smart people who are good with technology."

You reminded me though, that cutting out "Thomas Jane has Hollywood Tourettes" needs to go too.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Think I'll pass on the predator.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Man Predator sounds bizarrely terrible not just regular terrible

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    They never establish that it's why the big predator wants him. Someone just says that as a possibility. If that line were cut out, I don't think any of us would have come up with it on our own from watching the movie. The kid doesn't need to be autistic, he can just be really smart. The twist is "the predators aren't interested in the biggest badass, they pick off the biggest badasses one by one as a hobby. They want smart people who are good with technology."

You reminded me though, that cutting out "Thomas Jane has Hollywood Tourettes" needs to go too.
    I think at that point it is less "the script is salvagable" and more "rewrite the whole thing top to bottom but keep the sets and character names"

All of the protaganists except Munn suffer from Hollywood Mental Illnesses or are on the Autism spectrum and that's absolutely an intentional move from Black and at the heart of the script

I think you're right about Black thinking he was being progressive, but he fucked it up in basically every way he could have and it's too rotten to salvage outside of scrapping everything IMO

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Comedy Tourette's is Troy Duffy grade writing

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    There is a PAINFULLY terrible bit where
    Olivia Munn who wakes up in a room full of strange dudes is told by Jane during one of his outbursts "eat your pussy" and they do a fucking Laurel and Hardy bit of NOOO I SAID GEE YOU'RE PUSHY

Its ghastly

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Man Predator sounds bizarrely terrible not just regular terrible

It's certainly not the boring kind of terrible.
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

I think at that point it is less "the script is salvagable" and more "rewrite the whole thing top to bottom but keep the sets and character names"

All of the protaganists except Munn suffer from Hollywood Mental Illnesses or are on the Autism spectrum and that's absolutely an intentional move from Black and at the heart of the script

I think you're right about Black thinking he was being progressive, but he fucked it up in basically every way he could have and it's too rotten to salvage outside of scrapping everything IMO

I think you'd be surprised how much difference relatively few changes would make to that script but short of buying a copy of it and doing my own rewrite I don't really have a way of proving it.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    There is a PAINFULLY terrible bit where
    Olivia Munn who wakes up in a room full of strange dudes is told by Jane during one of his outbursts "eat your pussy" and they do a fucking Laurel and Hardy bit of NOOO I SAID GEE YOU'RE PUSHY

Its ghastly

Oh that's sheer death

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    At no point during The Predator was I remotely bored, it absolutely has that going for it

And I do agree that the raw bones of much of the script are okay. But much of it is also bizarrely terrible (good turn of phrase for it).

Also at the same time, get rid of the CGI. Practical effects. That had a marked impact on the movie's quality

Solar on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Coco is fantastic and beautiful but if I have one complaint about it it’s that it makes Frida Kahlo into a joke and also kind of
    a stooge of the bad guy?

Otherwise tho it’s lovely

• Options
    I think if you're talking about salvagble elements from The Predator it would be:
    Dirty Dozen style military misfits
    Competent scientist action lady
    Predators having rival factions and some wanting to help humans
    The Government wanting to reverse engineer predator tech

That's literally it and at that point it is less the raw bones of a script and more a very basic rough outline

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I wish Thomas Jane was in things that weren't complete garbage.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm definitely going to watch the Predator and I expect I'll enjoy it

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »

let me tell you about deep blue sea

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    your hat is not like a shark fin tho

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

let me tell you about Face/Off

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    He just wants to see his kids...

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Think I'll pass on the predator.

Yeah I never thought I'd say I was done for at least a little bit with either franchise, let alone both, but that's where I'm at with both Alien (certainly for good with anything Ridley has to contribute to it, at least) and Predator. Stuff just fell off a creative cliff rapidly in directions I want nothing to do with

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

let me tell you about nemesis

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

you havent seen my hat

• Options
    Man, you ever fart and it smells exactly like gunpowder, that's crazy

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Man, you ever fart and it smells exactly like gunpowder, that's crazy

uhhhh

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options

you havent seen my hat

yes i have

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I was done with the Alien franchise and then Covenant turned out to be the best one so far so now I don't know what to think

This discussion has been closed.