As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Managed to finally beat AT Xeno doing HBG Pierce, but it can still go sideways real fast. Clearmind charm, one shield mod and Guard Up deco are huuuuge helps.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I need to get in for the winter festival and get some of the AT's I missed.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Managed to finally beat AT Xeno doing HBG Pierce, but it can still go sideways real fast. Clearmind charm, one shield mod and Guard Up deco are huuuuge helps.

Which HBG did you use for it? L/X? Legi? Or are you one of those who has the Kulve ones

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Kulve Assault Support.

• Options
    Hisssssssssss

Lord almighty I hate the RNG nature of Kulve drops

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    is kulve still up on console

didn't get much time in last week

• Options
    edited November 2018
    nope, probably on 11/29 when the festival starts

SUPER EDIT: Uhhh, apparently not any time soon or for the festival

Naphtali on
  • Options
    I wonder what that means

Because if it means craftable Kulve weapons then I will get back on that particular circuit I tell you what

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Yeah, i'd much prefer craftable TUlve weapons here too - and i' ma greatsword main!

Getting to do Tulve on PC was pretty fun though. Though, arrgh. Come on people. HER SLEEP ANIMATION IS LONG AND OBVIOUS. I did not beat up all these Gajakala in area 1 for you to dink her awake with your light bow gun.

For those who've not kept up, PC is getting a TON of existing content - by the time December rolls around, i think we'll be up to everything short of Behemoth (Normal).

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    more likely scenario: moar weapons

Elendil on
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    more likely scenario: moar weapons

I don't want that, though

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Kulve Assault Support.

The RNG gods favored me tonight with one. It loses cluster rounds, for more damage, affinity, and defense over my old reliable Legia Shattercryst. I think I can live without them.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    i would pay $30-40 for a new zone, 5-6 new monsters, new elders, and a version of the diablos GS

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    okay i can solo AT Xeno with insect glaive

running 4 piece drachen with Zorah gamma chest and the clearmind charm and xeno luna glaive. just slotted in health boost, an attack boost to hit attack 4, and experts in the remaining small slots. tenderizers, one more crit boost, and a pair of handi gems in the big slots.

first run was a mess, over 25 minutes long, two faints, and nearly used up an entire potion supply and then some.

second went considerably smoother, one bullshit faint right at the beginning and smooth sailing from there. 15 and a half minutes. main change was focusing down his chest in the rage phase, which scored fairly regular knockdowns. much, much easier than with hammer. still a really dangerous fight by sheer damage output.

• Options
    I'm gonna go again with the dang old hammer.

Is Heat Guard that big a game changer? Will I be all right bringing that even if I'm in negative numbers for my fire defense?

Also I should probably bring Fortify...

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    i would pay $30-40 for a new zone, 5-6 new monsters, new elders, and a version of the diablos GS
    I hope the inevitable MonHun World Ultimate is an expansion/paid DLC, rather than a stand-along game like in the past. Rereleasing the same game with some new content as a different title for the full new game price won't fly with some/many people (even as a long time fan of the series I personally never bought more than 1 title in a series).

Also, not an invitation for people to tell me how great of a deal buying the same game again for new content is, kthx. :p

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I'm gonna go again with the dang old hammer.

Is Heat Guard that big a game changer? Will I be all right bringing that even if I'm in negative numbers for my fire defense?

Also I should probably bring Fortify...
    heat guard negates the floor fire entirely, even in negative

• Options
    Managed to take it down with my Shattercryst. 2 shield mods and 1 reload mod, a Guard Up jewel, one Ironwall, the Clearmind charm, the Rath Soul chestpiece for Pierce boost, the Fortify jewel, and as many offensive skills as I could pack in there. It's sort of a slow way to play and you still have the potential to screw up but you can put a lot of damage into the damn thing if your aim is decent.

Heat Guard was the big game changer. I'm going to try it on my hammer build next and see if I can take it down that way; even if it's less reliable or slower, taking it down with my hammer will probably be more satisfying.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Downed it with the hammer! Whew. Took almost 26 minutes but I managed to get it in there.

The chief things, I think, are these: tremor resistance is much, much, much more important than Earplugs. When it's not in Heat Mode, you gotta get the timings down to belting it in the face rather than its feet. When it's in heat mode, you have to focus on the moments where its chest is low enough to the ground to be able to hit it, because doing 700 damage to it and knocking it prone? That's just free damage right there.

I think I can bring that down to sub-20 if I take tremor resist. Maybe better than that if I can figure out the fastest way to get it out of the air consistently...

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Downed it with the hammer! Whew. Took almost 26 minutes but I managed to get it in there.

The chief things, I think, are these: tremor resistance is much, much, much more important than Earplugs. When it's not in Heat Mode, you gotta get the timings down to belting it in the face rather than its feet. When it's in heat mode, you have to focus on the moments where its chest is low enough to the ground to be able to hit it, because doing 700 damage to it and knocking it prone? That's just free damage right there.

I think I can bring that down to sub-20 if I take tremor resist. Maybe better than that if I can figure out the fastest way to get it out of the air consistently...

Other than hitting him with a slinger shot twice?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    i can't find slinger pods in AT Xeno to save my life, personally

• Options
    Twice sure as shit does not do it unless there's a trick beyond actually hitting it with a Piercing Pod

Does it need to be a hit to the face?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I don't know anything about arch-tempered stuff, but regular Xeno'jiva can be downed with two bomb pods as long as you time them such that you don't shoot the second until the stagger animation from the first is done. I think piercing pods also work.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    it feels harder to knock him down aerial glaiving too

might have upped the stagger threshold

• Options
    edited November 2018
    i can't find slinger pods in AT Xeno to save my life, personally

at xeno only starts to drop pods when its close to death, and from my small sample size of testing you need a lot of pods to bring it down. I was able to down it with a clip and a half~ of pierce ammo though, so the thresholds are higher.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    i wonder if kulve taroth not being in the winter festival pending an update has any relation to kulve taroth being one of our last elder dragons without an AT version

hm hm

• Options
    maybe, I guess. PC does have KT coming back with their winter festival and they're only getting AT Kirin with Lunastra

• Options
    capcom: "and now, we're going to announce the one elder dragon whose arch-tempered version you've been waiting for all these months... kulve taroth!"
    wyborn: son of a bitch

• Options
    I would be able to temper my disappointment if taking down ATKT let me have some control over the weapons I get

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I would be able to temper my disappointment if taking down ATKT let me have some control over the weapons I get

but would you arch temper your disappointment if they didn't

• Options
    jesus i just triple carted on AT Xeno twice

i have health boost 3 and 500 defense i shouldn't have to work under these conditions

• Options

alright you alien asshole. in the words of my generation, up youuuuuurs

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Also, not an invitation for people to tell me how great of a deal buying the same game again for new content is, kthx. :p

May I claim that for many players, buying the same game again for no new content whatsoever would still work out to them having gotten a net great deal?

• Options
    jesus i just triple carted on AT Xeno twice

i have health boost 3 and 500 defense i shouldn't have to work under these conditions

I run Fortify when fighting AT Xeno; it's just a good skill, and you go into the last round with something like 620+ defense

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Game night tomorrow night is cancelled for holiday reasons, so I have the evening free. Who's up to carve some turkeys in GU tomorrow evening?

• Options
    have been playing around with the xeno gamma set

pros: razor sharp is nice to have and really helps on weapons that don't really have high enough crit to run master's touch without a lot of investment. not being locked into luna xeno to get is liberating
    lots o' slots and really easy to build into damage
    if you like power prolonger boy is this the set for you. the power prolonger pieces are the shit
    blight resistance cancels out the shitty part of the fire weakness, so it's really easy to compensate for it compared to drachen. can easily run the set vs. teo or lunastra

cons: needs more 3 slots. trying to run handicraft and attack boost is a pain in the dick,

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    So, what's the method for getting Warrior streamstones? Because i need 3 more of those jerks to really make my Greatsword into happy land.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options

pros: razor sharp is nice to have and really helps on weapons that don't really have high enough crit to run master's touch without a lot of investment. not being locked into luna xeno to get is liberating
    if you like power prolonger boy is this the set for you. the power prolonger pieces are the shit
    blight resistance cancels out the shitty part of the fire weakness, so it's really easy to compensate for it compared to drachen. can easily run the set vs. teo or lunastra

cons: needs more 3 slots. trying to run handicraft and attack boost is a pain in the dick,

I've been hearing that arms, waist, and legs are the pieces to use. Could you mix that in with the Kushala sets to get Handicraft cranked up?

Though they don't seem to really be melee-focused in general

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

I've been hearing that arms, waist, and legs are the pieces to use. Could you mix that in with the Kushala sets to get Handicraft cranked up?

Though they don't seem to really be melee-focused in general
    the only piece that sucks is the chest, which has 2 flinch free and two small slots. even the beta version is better. the head is pretty good. it's the piece with the blight resistance, so if you don't want to catch on fire every four seconds, not a bad pick at all. you could run kushala gamma head or beta chest, but the slot efficiency on both pieces is not great. the waist could be great except the xeno gamma waist is the one piece you can slot the handicraft in, so it's only +1 handicraft

• Options
    It's a real shame the Xeno Gamma chest is so bad.