As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Elendil wrote: »
    if you're really desperate, run him solo and use your cat with plunderblade

he doesn't have a gem so all you need is basic parts

chances are you've got tails, horns and claws already if you've had failed runs, since you get those from breaks

Yeah, I only need 4 manes and 3-4 more bones. Might try plunderblading him later tonight.

edit: totp now with quote to get context

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I keep failing runs but no one is breaking Behemoth's claws so the few parts I need are not dropping Q_Q

Also I guess I need manes as well but shhhh

• Options
    Hmmm. Last few times I've fought Behemoth, the IG user mounted him and then somehow held on for dear life for a HUGE amount of time without toppling it.

Any tips on how to do that, since I just made almost the whole Behemoth set and fully upgraded the Gae Bolg

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I almost pulled the trigger on picking up World on the PC since it is on sale, but I think I'm just gonna wait for an Ultimate version before migrating to the PC at this point.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Hmmm. Last few times I've fought Behemoth, the IG user mounted him and then somehow held on for dear life for a HUGE amount of time without toppling it.

Any tips on how to do that, since I just made almost the whole Behemoth set and fully upgraded the Gae Bolg
    one of the cheese strategies is to mount and then just not attempt to complete the mount since it negates a lot of his more dangerous behavior

a wide range user on the ground can use rations to regen stamina

• Options

one of the cheese strategies is to mount and then just not attempt to complete the mount since it negates a lot of his more dangerous behavior

Right, I've seen that done but I am really bad at the mount game in this generation. Tips plz

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Right, I've seen that done but I am really bad at the mount game in this generation. Tips plz

So monsters have two ways to try and shale you off. Thrashing about increases drain unpess you hold the shoulder button and stop stabbing. Slamming you into stuff chunks a fixed ount of stamina unless you move by tapping the stick.

The secret is that you can just move to avoid thrashing too and keep stabbing. So any time the stamina bar goes red border from thrashing, or the monster moves towards something in the environment, tap the stick.

IG has the special property that it does spinning attacks while changing mount position too.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    specifically, in this instance the one mounting just isn't doing anything but moving to avoid being shaken off

(which actually makes glaive kind of bad for it since it deals damage when moving)

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    You could just sit still and hold R2 the whole time. Long as somebody with wide range is feeding rations they can stay up there for a long time

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Wrong thread

Edit: Actually to be on topic. I'm planning on getting GU over the holiday. anything I should know other than "It's older monhun, expect a bit more jank" ?

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Got my last 4 manes and 2 bones via plunderblade shenanigans, so full Drachen set get...... and now it will sit in my box and probably only be used piecemeal now and then.

Farmed tempered elders last night for about 3hrs, not a single god damn weapon streamstone thing. This game man... and why can't I use stones meant for rarity 8 on lower rarity? That should be a thing if you want it to be.

• Options
    gold crown bazel on a random jyura investigation

as soon as i saw that absolute unit i knew i had to kill him

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Wrong thread

Edit: Actually to be on topic. I'm planning on getting GU over the holiday. anything I should know other than "It's older monhun, expect a bit more jank" ?

Hunter styles change the movelist and add abilities Each style has a common theme to what it does. Guild Style is traditional stuff.

Compared the MHW all weapons are a bit clunkier to use, World did a lot to improve their flow.

Hunter arts are basically supers with meters. Number you can equip depends on style, there are common and weapon specific ones, and they're pretty good.

Energy Blade is just so much fun - Charge Blade art to spend all phials on forming a lightsaber and slashing the monster with it for massive damage.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited November 2018

this switch axe build is pretty good imo

Elendil on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    What's the invincibility window look like with 5 points in the skill?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    What's the invincibility window look like with 5 points in the skill?
    it's noticeable and significant

but this is a game with animation locks, so it's not godlike or anything. you'll still get hit by stuff.

switch axe needs the help though, i think. the defensive toolset is baaaad

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Slamming you into stuff chunks a fixed ount of stamina unless you move by tapping the stick.
    Oh, TIL. 180 hours into the game.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Also the monster injures itself if you dodge, which can even break parts (which is often hilarious to watch).

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    AT Xeno down to about 19 minutes with my hammer. Not exactly speed runner time, but I think that's pretty respectable for how much health (36k?) it had and how hard it can be to land those good hits. And just like that, I have collected 7 tickets!

Most of being able to take it down with a hammer is knowing where its head is going to be once it's finished doing a given attack pattern. Even its time-waster blast where it stands on its hind legs and then looks around for a while is a good opportunity to get positioned and just unleash once it gets back into stance.

One particular bit that I found helped me a lot is that when it's in Fiery Rage mode and does its sweeping attack, its chest is nearly flush with the ground. Perfect time to let loose a fully charged swing on it. And if you knock it prone (and you should if you've been peppering its chest with pods the whole time) you have more than enough time to execute a full Big Bang Combo on either its forelimbs or its head, and that is beaucoup damage.

Overall I think this might be my favorite Arch Tempered fight. It's so wildly different from all the others, and at first its attacks seem utterly overwhelming but there are ways to get around all of them if you have nerves and are sure of your footing. I don't even roll from its exploding shockwave attack, I charge straight at it between the second and third explosions so I don't lose my charge and can belt it during its recovery.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Woo. I beat the story a few nights ago, and have been slaughtering the boss for his armor and weapons. Now the real game begins. :D

For monster hunter world on pc that is, figure I should be more specific. :P

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    did they ever patch the whole video codec things? or is there an easy way to check if you have the right ones for after the end fight?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Not liking the fact that farming Nourishing Extract is annoying, compared to the rest of the consumable ingredients. Yes, I know I can purchase the mega demon/armour potions from the melder, but it's still a pain in the butt.

That being said, I managed to solo my nemisis, Black Diablos, with my HH. There's nothing quite as satisfying as bashing it's head with a butterfly shaped bell.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    It took me 11 Farcasters, 13 First Aid+s (thank you provision division), most of my Mega Potions, both Max Potions, and I think one each of DUst of Life and Lifepowder but I finally put this BS quest behind me.

Tried using a smokescreen to keep Rajang off my ass while I took on Zin. That didn't last as long as I had hoped (prior attempts proved the theory was sound), but I was eventually able to pick off the (Gold Crown, as it turned out) hyper wolf. When Rajang finally fell, I breathed a huge sigh of releif and knew I had this in the bag — Shagaru Magala has never been a challenge for me and compared to the other two idiots might as well have been a stationary target.

In addition to the gold crown I nabbed a pair of Shagaru Mantles so that was nice.

One village quest left...

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I remember that last time i did that, i basically spent the first half kiting Rajang to kill Zingore for me - does that still work?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Not liking the fact that farming Nourishing Extract is annoying, compared to the rest of the consumable ingredients. Yes, I know I can purchase the mega demon/armour potions from the melder, but it's still a pain in the butt.

That being said, I managed to solo my nemisis, Black Diablos, with my HH. There's nothing quite as satisfying as bashing it's head with a butterfly shaped bell.
    i have the ship guy bring in consumables and just buy those

it's done a pretty good job of keeping me topped up on the rarer crafting ingredients

• Options
    Is that what the ship guy is good for, if you don't want to trade research points for gold trade in items?

I use the Tailrider Safari to farm horns for ancient potions and that works well, but not sure I'm using the ship optimally.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    yeah, kelbi horns are in the consumable pool, probably nourishing extract. screamer and dung pods. mega armor/demon potions. easily the best option once you're deep into endgame and basic monster materials and money stops being relevant.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I remember that last time i did that, i basically spent the first half kiting Rajang to kill Zingore for me - does that still work?

To an extent. In GU they're effectively g-rank, though, which means Goku has a bunch of extra-aggressive bs that makes it harder (esp his triple Sonic spin-dash). But I spent so much time warping back to base camp (IIRC 2 farcasters were wasted by being nudged out of the cloud) that they had to have been hitting each other occasionally.

I know Zin took a couple of Rajang's laser beams dead on (just barely mising me, mercifully). I don't care what your thunder resistance is, that's gonna sting.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Thanks for helping us power level Solvaall yesterday, @Vyolynce

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Thanks for helping us power level Solvaall yesterday, Vyolynce

Happy to help. Also tried to help my HR4 wife forge a Guardsquall last night but ran out of time before needing to turn in.

Mostly I just like having the opportunity to use my para duals. ;)

• Options
      WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
      Klatu wrote: »
      Is that what the ship guy is good for, if you don't want to trade research points for gold trade in items?

I use the Tailrider Safari to farm horns for ancient potions and that works well, but not sure I'm using the ship optimally.
      Don't forget that you can also use the safari for nourishing extract (Paolumu, Odogaron) and dash juice (Tzitzi, Diablos).

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    • Options
      darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
      Man.... fuck arena quests. Those are annoying as balls, sadly some of the nicest weapons are gated behind that shit.

Oh well, ill keep looking for groups doing them, and until then keep working on farming Luna so I can make her Empress Styx heavy bow gun.

Had some really good luck with killing Deviljho and got all the tallfangs I needed so made a Dark Devourer. I can see why folks like it so much.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    • Options
      NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
      Winter Star festival has begun on PC, get ye downy crake dual swords and layered armors.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
      Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    • Options
      Started on PS4 as well, need to get me some AT Vaal and AT Kushala before it stops. Both of them seem to be needed in every damn set lol.

• Options
      fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
      I may jump back into world this weekend, anyone still playing on ps4?

J3qcnBP.png
    • Options
      NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
      edited November 2018
      I’ll be around

edit: actually probably going to hop on around friday 7pm est when the first set of dailies pop up

Naphtali on
      Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    • Options
      FremFrem Registered User regular
      edited November 2018
      mts wrote: »
      did they ever patch the whole video codec things? or is there an easy way to check if you have the right ones for after the end fight?

The thing everyone forgot to mention is that it only affected the “N” and “KN” editions of Windows. IIRC it was fixed in one of the first updates.

Either way, the codec installers are still linked in the OP.

Frem on
    • Options
      i guess i own a switch and GU now

• Options
      NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
      Got my first AT Kirin kill in, this guy is kind of a jerk, isn't he. 20ish minutes solo with a GS after a bunch of failed flare runs.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
      Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    • Options
      My general rule is to never go teamsies on AT monsters.

I guess I should go after Zorah to get that done.

dN0T6ur.png