As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars] Episode IX: The Rise of the Speculation

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Taximes wrote: »
    Well, I was headed to the thread to talk about Resistance and how it mostly just makes me excited for The Mandalorian to see what a Star Wars series can be without all the kids' show over-exposition.

Go figure, they also just announced a new Cassian Andor series with Diego Luna.

Speaking of series with incompetent protagonists.

The characters were definitely the weak link in Rogue One. Like, why not just so a rebel spy show with new characters . Maybe someone who has to take over Cassian's role after Scariff?

I swear I used to see a ton of Cassian action figures just sitting on shelves. Maybe the show will make him more interesting.

The characters weren't bad exactly... I think that Rogue One just in general is such a jumbled mess from the re-shoots and everything that it's tough to say what they might have been aiming for with some of the characters and exactly how things could have been made better. It was still enjoyable enough, but I'm not sure (for me at least) how much of that was because the final battle had all the old school ANH cockpit shots with good space and ground action. Make the last battle less interesting and the various flaws in the rest of it might have been fatal.

With both Rogue One and Solo I would love to see more of the behind the scenes and original v final comparisons, but as I think Astaereth always says movies don't get reshot because they were brilliant masterpieces that studio execs just couldn't comprehend. Then again, while reading A Secret History of Star Wars, George was pretty incredulous of The Empire Strikes Back and even recut it himself before eventually discarding his changes and giving control back to Kurts and Kershner.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Cassian was the best in his first scene in the movie. The dirty rebel spy who was willing to shank his terrified informant to keep his secrets and make his escape. I'd be OK with more of that Cassian.

Dang, this Disney service is looking more and more attractive...

I saw that scene as the dirty rebel spy who made such a fuss in public with his obviously nervous informant that he managed to attract the attention of the authorities. It was not a good first impression.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    In Cassian's defense, it seemed like it was either handle the terrified informant in that alley or risk that he flees on his ship before answering any questions.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I don't think Cassian needs to be defended here. He's a dirty spy in a dirty rebellion. I very much appreciated this grittier point of view of the Rebellion from the ground floor and not from the lofty view of Princesses and Jedi Knights.

• Options
    Cassian was the best in his first scene in the movie. The dirty rebel spy who was willing to shank his terrified informant to keep his secrets and make his escape. I'd be OK with more of that Cassian.

I saw that scene as the dirty rebel spy who made such a fuss in public with his obviously nervous informant that he managed to attract the attention of the authorities. It was not a good first impression.

Despite owning the blu-ray I only saw the movie once in theatres, so maybe my recollection is off, but this is not the impression I got from that scene.

Hmm... I wonder if my kid is old enough yet to watch a movie where almost everyone with a name dies at the end?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Wow. I am exponentially more interested in a Cassian Andor series than more Mandalorians.

Disagree. Against a fucking Boba Fett anything? Yeah. But a series just about some Mandalorian sounds like it could go interesting places. It's pretty wide open. A Cassian Andor series is a prequel, which ugh from the start, and seems kinda constrained in what it can do and when it can take place and what can happen.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Despite owning the blu-ray I only saw the movie once in theatres, so maybe my recollection is off, but this is not the impression I got from that scene.

Hmm... I wonder if my kid is old enough yet to watch a movie where almost everyone with a name dies at the end?

My son watched it at age 6 and loved it. Mostly because of the giant battle at the end, but he still loved it.

• Options

My son watched it at age 6 and loved it. Mostly because of the giant battle at the end, but he still loved it.

I think I showed my kid the other movies too early. While the pew pew is still awesome, my newly 7 year old still runs out of the room at any hint of suspense or tragedy. He's old enough to "get" the larger themes but not old enough to "handle" them.

For example... we were watching TLJ, and the scene where Kylo is struggling with killing his mom? My son almost cried to get me to turn it off. So much so that he jumped off the couch and ran out of the room. The tension of the scene was too much for him.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The new films are considerably more dark than the old ones in that regard. Telling a story about a son killing his parents to a 7 year old isn’t the best idea. It’s not the concept of killing it’s the relationship of the parties involved.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

I think I showed my kid the other movies too early. While the pew pew is still awesome, my newly 7 year old still runs out of the room at any hint of suspense or tragedy. He's old enough to "get" the larger themes but not old enough to "handle" them.

For example... we were watching TLJ, and the scene where Kylo is struggling with killing his mom? My son almost cried to get me to turn it off. So much so that he jumped off the couch and ran out of the room. The tension of the scene was too much for him.

We were told, quite firmly, by our 10 and 6 year old niece and nephew that these were the worst films of all time after all the good guys died. It's the most passionate I've ever seen them about a film.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    My son cries near the end of Boss Baby, when the baby is removed from the main family. He's very sensitive. The sheer awesomeness of Star Wars somehow gets him past the spots I would have expected to crush him. I didn't plan to show him Rogue One for years - I won't let him watch Infinity War even though he loves Marvel movies - but my parents let him watch it one weekend without asking us and it turned out just fine. He only ever wants to rewatch the climactic battle though, not the rest of the movie.

He really doesn't like Kylo killing Han. We skip that scene if we watch TFA. But that just cemented Kylo as truly evil for him, and beyond redemption.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    One of my earliest memories is Star Wars. I remember specifically being, at the most, 3 years old, watching ANH (specifically the scene where Vader is choking out Captain Antilles near the start), and knowing I'd already seen this movie before.

I still found the Jabba's palace and Emperor scenes in RotJ too unsettling to watch until I was 8 or 9 or so.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I was way into Jurrassic Park at like 5 so nothing in Star Wars really got me but i could see some of it being scary for kids.

Luke getting electroshock therapy while Vader watches for example.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Prequel movies are tough

Prequel shows, where it is clear the main character will die at the end of the movie after this, are just stupid

Like if Better Call Saul was instead Better Call Tuco

Sure in theory you could make an engrossing, even profound work about how the nature of man is to die and it’s our lot to strive and fail in the interim, but they won’t. Disney can’t handle that kind of depth, it’s too gay.

So instead we’ll get a dumb good versus evil story where we know good will die and evil will die later and look, isn’t it just so prestige how morally gray it is that he did a bad thing but feels bad about it? It’s like The Wire in space!

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I think a prequel where you know they die at the end can work if you really lean into it and work the audience but we wouldn't get that with Cassian.

Like in theory you could have made the prequels pretty excellent in that regard but they spent too much time focusing on not-Anakin/Padme/Obi-Wan for that to really happen, all other issues there aside.

Also yeah I think Disney is only going to dip its toes into making Star Wars genre films.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Prequel movies are tough

Prequel shows, where it is clear the main character will die at the end of the movie after this, are just stupid

Sure in theory you could make an engrossing, even profound work about how the nature of man is to die and it’s our lot to strive and fail in the interim, but they won’t. Disney can’t handle that kind of depth, it’s too gay.

So instead we’ll get a dumb good versus evil story where we know good will die and evil will die later and look, isn’t it just so prestige how morally gray it is that he did a bad thing but feels bad about it? It’s like The Wire in space!

Too gay? What?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Prequel movies are tough

Too gay? What?

GIVE ME A DRAMATIC FORBIDDEN ROMANCE BETWEEN A PADAWAN AND A HANDSOME FIGHTER PILOT DAMMIT

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'm going to guess it's an auto-correction of "grey" as in too morally grey?

• Options
    Prequel movies are tough

Too gay? What?

Disney can’t even handle representation in its genre fare, so how well will it do at turning genre fare into complex philosophical ruminations on the nature of life and death, is what I meant there

Not a typo, just snark

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Prequel movies are tough

Both Clone Wars cartoons are excellent. Better Call Saul started off in the aftermath from Breaking Bad, he may not have died but we know his future is a shitty end and that show has been getting incredible acclaim.

Most pieces of art don’t reach those depths so it’s puzzling why your putting that burden on a Star Wars show. Not that they can’t do good material on matters like that RE: Clone Wars. Disney know what they’re doing, they’ve very good at it and every product which doesn’t reach the greatest heights in cinema history mean it’s terrible by default.

Rogue One wasn’t simply good vs evil it was going down in the muck with the expendable troops who did what nasty things they had to to win the war. The character isn’t Luke Skywalker he’s more akin to Han Solo. He’s an anti-hero doing the dirty jobs because someone has to.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Rogue One is completely about good versus evil, and Han Solo is not a complex, morally gray character. “I decided to act selfishly once but then I joined the fight” or “I had to kill somebody in the middle of this war” is only moral complexity in a simplified, Disney (or adventure serial) universe.

That’s not a complaint—I love Star Wars and Han Solo is an enjoyable character and I liked the desperation inherent in Rogue One’s story. But there are certain things that form is not equipped to do, and one of them is explore actual moral dilemmas in a deeply meaningful way. “Should Anakin murder not just the men but the women and the children too?” is not a question with a lot of answers. The prequel trilogy tried to show us Anakin’s fall into villainy but it couldn’t make us feel his temptations, in part because of the style and quality of the films, in part because Star Wars as a mode is just not conducive to that kind of storytelling.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Rogue One is completely about good versus evil, and Han Solo is not a complex, morally gray character. “I decided to act selfishly once but then I joined the fight” or “I had to kill somebody in the middle of this war” is only moral complexity in a simplified, Disney (or adventure serial) universe.

That’s not a complaint—I love Star Wars and Han Solo is an enjoyable character and I liked the desperation inherent in Rogue One’s story. But there are certain things that form is not equipped to do, and one of them is explore actual moral dilemmas in a deeply meaningful way. “Should Anakin murder not just the men but the women and the children too?” is not a question with a lot of answers. The prequel trilogy tried to show us Anakin’s fall into villainy but it couldn’t make us feel his temptations, in part because of the style and quality of the films, in part because Star Wars as a mode is just not conducive to that kind of storytelling.

Just because the Empire is a pure black moral foe does not mean everyone fighting it is a Boy Scout. It’s a common technique in media to have a morally grey protagonist operate against a completely evil enemy. This is what was done in Rogue One. Han Solo is far more complex and a deeper gray character than Luke ever was, so was Leia.

The lines his character had to cross morally in RO were a theme of his arc in the movie, what he did in his first scene was not the only time he did an unethical line crossing because being a rebel isn’t easy and he’s one of leaderships trouble shooters. It’s why he was chosen to “rescue” her father.

Your ascribing a format limitation the movie had, it was trying to tell a certain story there is absolutely no proof they’ll use that frame for a tv series. Why would they? Rogue One’s over.

How much Star Wars media have to watched or read? Did you watch the CloneWars or Rebel’s cartoons? The movies aren’t typically the place for those stories to be explored in SW, those are and have. Star Wars is perfectly fine for this storytelling they just don’t bother doing that in the movies.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I liked the moral grey area we saw in Rogue One, because it highlights the desperation the Rebels went through resisting a facist regime.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Two data points: 1) my daughter was very into watching Star Wars with me right up to "...I am your father" at which point she expressed great distress that Luke and his dad were "on different teams" and refused to continue. 2) My daughter was very into watching Brave with us right up to the point where
    Merida's mom, in cursed bear form, did not recognize Merida
    at which point she leapt into my lap as if Freddy Krueger had appeared physically in the room with us.
    There's a reason the great, culture-spanning myth cycles Star Wars is built upon are filled to the brim with Weird Bad Parent Shit, and that reason is waaaaay down in the lizard brain next to "that shadow is from a pterodactyl! HIDE NOW!" and "this thing you just ate is full of fat! EAT ALL OF THIS. EAT ONLY THIS UNTIL IT IS GONE."

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    The bear still scares the shit outta my kids.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Remember those two space weirdos Finn almost buggers off with in TFA, I'd watch something about them two on the other side of the galaxy presumably doing new interesting shit

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Remember those two space weirdos Finn almost buggers off with in TFA, I'd watch something about them two on the other side of the galaxy presumably doing new interesting shit

And this is how you get an EU. :P

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Don't you make that face at me

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

"Star Wars: Tales of People Who Made That Face"

• Options
    edited November 2018

"Star Wars: Tales of People Who Made That Face"

“Faces: A Star Wars Story”

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    I have finally gotten around to the fourth season of Rebels.

And it is pissing me off.

Not because it is bad, but because it is so good. The dialogue is snappy, the action is good, the storylines are tight. And it's the last Rebels we will ever get.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

And this is how you get an EU. :P

Or a CG series airing on a Disney TV channel.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I cannot believe Disney isn’t releasing an original version box set this holiday season. What was the point of buying the rights from FOX? I wantssss it.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I cannot believe Disney isn’t releasing an original version box set this holiday season. What was the point of buying the rights from FOX? I wantssss it.

One would think that doing a proper restoration would take more time than they have to make it to this holiday season.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Have they got ANH from Fox yet?

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Jazz wrote: »
    Have they got Fox yet?

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Have they got Fox yet?

:snap:

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    I finished Season 4 of Rebels. That was a direct hit right in my feels.

Well done Filoni.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Has anyone tried watching Resistance? I caught some of it on TV while at school and it has been pretty consistently underwhelming. The episodes I've seen have all felt like half baked filler, even when major characters like Poe show up and the voice acting ranges from nothing special to mildly aggravating.

Did I just get super unlucky and miss the good stuff or has the whole show just felt kinda half-baked?

wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.