[Star Wars] Episode IX: The Rise of the Speculation

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    A couple stray observations
    Lando still fits into his old clothes!
    Do we see who he’s flying with? Chewie or Nien Nunb?
    Pretty sure that’s Luke doing all the VO...not sure why it sounds...hold on, I wonder if it’s 2 different people doing the VO...like Hamill and McDiarmid combined together...until they split for the last line and the laugh?

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    NotYou wrote: »
    Poor Rey gets almost zero jedi training. Doesn't get to build her own light saber. Never really has a master. Still super powerful, fighting space ships while on foot.

Admittingly... that space ship... isn't firing at her. You don't use a space ship to run someone over with, so there's either an alternate purpose for that, or that is the dumbest joust battle ever.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Keri Russell would make a great First Order commander.

Mark Hamill is still credited in cast so Force Ghost is likely.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Can we all just talk about Lando? Why aren't we all talking about Lando?

Lando!

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Can we all just talk about Lando? Why aren't we all talking about Lando?

Lando!

Because
    Sheev!

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Psh, I WANT Rey to be a Skywalker. Screw you haters.

Well, the one reason I'd be OK with it is that it would completely shut down Rey/Kylo shippers.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Smurph wrote: »
    One theory I read is that Skywalker will be the name of what replaces Jedi. Force users will just be called Skywalkers. Rey will be the first.

Which is honestly kind of rad. Jedi sounds cooler but Jedi/Sith/Dark Jedi/Force Adept/Force User/Grey Jedi is a mess. If you have the Force, you're a Skywalker.

I really hope that turns out to be true. It'd assuage all the "TLJ ruined Luke!" people, and, IMO, sounds cooler than Jedi, which is a madeup word of nonsense.

1. All words are made up.
    2. the word Jedi likely comes from 時代劇 (jidaigeki) which means "period drama" and references the samurai movies made through the 50s & 60s like The Hidden Fortress. During the early scripting days Lucas would often just write down word combinations that sounded 'rad' and then use them as needed while writing.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Quiotu wrote: »
    NotYou wrote: »
    Poor Rey gets almost zero jedi training. Doesn't get to build her own light saber. Never really has a master. Still super powerful, fighting space ships while on foot.

Admittingly... that space ship... isn't firing at her. You don't use a space ship to run someone over with, so there's either an alternate purpose for that, or that is the dumbest joust battle ever.

Yeah if it turns out it could have just been firing at her from a safe distance it's gonna be silly :D

NotYou on
    Cambiata wrote: »

Well, the one reason I'd be OK with it is that it would completely shut down Rey/Kylo shippers.

You and I both know this isn't true.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Trying to run her down sounds like Kylo imo

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    In an M. Night Shymalan twist, Fin is a Skywalker.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

You think that would stop them?

• OctavianOctavian Registered User regular
    All words are made up.

I'm not sure that would best way to honor someone who came to believe that "the Force doesn't exist without the Jedi" was hubris. To name all Force users after him? That seems gross and offensive to him.

But what do I know, I didn't have a hand in writing....Batman vs. Superman and Justice League. Yikes. I suppose we are lucky they aren't calling force users Martha.

PSN: TitusPullo13
    Quiotu wrote: »
    I'm giving Episode 9 a shot, but I'm worried. I'm worried that Ep. 8 drew so much backlash even though it was a success, that JJ did exactly what Rian did. And if JJ goes 'nope, fuck Rian, Rey's a Skywalker'... I'm done. This trilogy will be unsalvageable if it boils down to two directors having a slap fight over 3 movies.

PLEASE don't let it be that...

Disney gives a pretty free hand and it leaves room for a lot of silly/dumb stuff but I don't think they'd let that one slide.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    By the way, probably my favorite thing from the celebration panel was Oscar Isaac really feeding the Finn/Poe shippers material.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Also Anakin was just a rando from a desert planet who happened to be good at space magic, he's not from some long line of space wizards or anything. Rey is also a rando from a desert planet good at space magic. Rey is literally another Anakin. Or, you know, another Skywalker.

Smurph wrote: »
    Also Anakin was just a rando from a desert planet who happened to be good at space magic, he's not from some long line of space wizards or anything. Rey is also a rando from a desert planet good at space magic. Rey is literally another Anakin. Or, you know, another Skywalker.

Well, sans the horrible space jesus thing

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Luke was always gonna be a ghost. very curious about the crying with leia bit and I really hope rey isn't a skywalker.

I'm a big fan of TLJ so the more this does to reset that the less I'm gonna care about it after I leave the theater. It won't ruin the movie or anything but it won't become something that means a lot to me the way TLJ did.

tho I am curious if rey being a skywalker and the empire having some influence over the first order will quell some of the issues people have had.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    Igniting the saber before jumping seems aggressive.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'm much more onboard with the notion that Luke's legacy is a new form of Jedi who really should've been doing what they claim - being defenders of others while using life itself as their power source. Basically, roaming monks who go where the Force takes them in order to defend and protect - than the notion that the bloodline is, like, super special you guys. It's one of the many reasons I hated the prophecy/Force Jesus aspect of Anakin, and just doesn't feel like a satisfying ending to me. While the main series is about the Skywalkers, it doesn't have to be so literal.

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I'd be ok if Rey was a skywalker. It is the Skywalker Saga.

*shrugs*
    I think it would be interesting if Rey's moment of crisis in the film is her finding out that she is, that she was hidden away because reasons, and yet the Force still brought everything about to have her tip the scales because that's exactly how the Force works. And she realizes that, ultimately, it doesn't matter. It's the Past. What matters is the Now.

Havelock2.0 on
    You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

Rey being a secret Skywalker would be the worst possible thing they could do with the franchise, and as Disney is one for four so far I'd probably just check out entirely

uH3IcEi.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    Luke was always gonna be a ghost. very curious about the crying with leia bit and I really hope rey isn't a skywalker.

I'm a big fan of TLJ so the more this does to reset that the less I'm gonna care about it after I leave the theater. It won't ruin the movie or anything but it won't become something that means a lot to me the way TLJ did.

tho I am curious if rey being a skywalker and the empire having some influence over the first order will quell some of the issues people have had.

Nothing will stop people from bitching about decisions made with Star Wars.

The fanbase is far too large and "dedicated" to please everyone.

*shrugs*
    I think it would be interesting if Rey's moment of crisis in the film is her finding out that she is, that she was hidden away because reasons, and yet the Force still brought everything about to have her tip the scales because that's exactly how the Force works. And she realizes that, ultimately, it doesn't matter. It's the Past. What matters is the Now.

She already learned that lesson tho

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    it "works", could just be Kylo messing with her, and it's the skywalker saga

but... at this point it would be a let down for me. I thought it was one of the many great things TLJ did. to erase that would bug me.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I don't think it would be interesting or fun if Rey were a Skywalker, but it wouldn't ruin it for me or anything. Star Wars has always been a little bit campy, I think it's OK for it to continue that.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

What are the Stand Your Ground laws in the Star Wars universe... ?

wbee62u815wj.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I was a huge fan of a lot of the decisions they did in TLJ. If they undo it by making her Luke's kid I will be pissed.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I mean, to be fair, Kylo lying to Rey about her parentage wouldn't exactly be a stretch. Guy's kind of an asshole.

camo_sig2.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    "Skywalker" is the new term for force user > Rey takes the Skywalker name to honour Luke/Leia >>>>>>>>>> TLJ lied

Oh wow we're making it a crime to be super bad ass now huh

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    We saw Luke get like an long weekend of training from Yoda at most.

On this three day retreat, learn to harness the force, you will.

I picked up a box
    I lifted some rocks
    While I stood on my head

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
    I mean, to be fair, Kylo lying to Rey about her parentage wouldn't exactly be a stretch. Guy's kind of an asshole.

Yeah, but he does/did like her and genuinely wanted her by his side.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Oh wow we're making it a crime to be super bad ass now huh

Igniting mid-jump is also super bad ass

I’d worry about poking my eye out while running with a saber

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Technically, Luke's training only took long enough for Yoda to sing this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9t-slLl30E

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Yeah, but he does/did like her and genuinely wanted her by his side.

He's also a toxic gaslighting nazi fuckboy

I don't think it would be interesting or fun if Rey were a Skywalker, but it wouldn't ruin it for me or anything. Star Wars has always been a little bit campy, I think it's OK for it to continue that.

Yeah but they made such a big point on the Force belonging to everyone (and it even seems like it's the crux of the Rian trilogy!) that reducing it down to another familial connection feels cheap and tone deaf.

If you're gonna go with a new Star Wars then go all the way in and try to make the story as good as it can be given the first 10 movies and Clone Wars series are all canon. If JJ tries to retcon half the shit from TLJ because a few people weren't happy with the direction Johnson took then we're gonna have a very disjointed experience.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Look, I’ve got a multitude of concerns based on that trailer. An increasing feeling that the franchise just isn’t for me any more, which is fine if a little sad.

But in direct contradiction to those concerns is Billy Dee Williams. It’s unnecessary, his simple presence is an echo of the core problem I have with every piece of this universe, but... He just sounds great, even if he (rightfully) looks his age. And I want to watch him be Lando for a while.

So I guess I’m in.

*shrugs*

She already learned that lesson tho

She can still be conflicted about it. Like Luke was with Vader

This discussion has been closed.