As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    What's everyone's opinion of the Wing Gundam Ver. Ka? Local store got in a few copies...

It's a good kit.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I ended up picking up a HG Leo at the thinkgeek store while getting a white elephant gift and I am pretty surprised at just how thin this box is.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    What's everyone's opinion of the Wing Gundam Ver. Ka? Local store got in a few copies...

It's a good kit.

Good, good.. what's one more item on the backlog, right?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    30 more missile tubes for today's work, bringing the total up to 90! This thing is the definition of saturation salvo. However, we're getting close to the end. 18 more left to install - 14 on the remaining hindleg, and 4 on the head/mane. Also the back stabilizers for when the cannon unloads still need to be installed.

I almost broke my model. :( I had a piece that wasn't going in well, and it turned out it was because I installed it backwards. The piece was very springy, and not sitting flush like I was expecting. I had to partially disassemble the model to undo the bent plastic and assemble it right. Luckily it's not in a place that compromises structural integrity and it can't be seen unless I remove the armor, so I'm.. okay with it... but it still sucks. I wish there was a way to "unstress" the plastic.

En22jLvl.jpg

CLuofxil.jpg?1

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

I dislike it and the Wing Gundam EW Ver (essentially the same kit in different colours)

It can't hold its gun at all. The TV Ver and the Wing Proto Zero EW Ver are much better kits, IMO.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    can i solicit a very general question: if I'm 11 eps into gundam 00 and still mostly detest the four gundam meisters (lockon's alright), will this possibly change or at least be used effectively as the show continues

i like the world and conflict of the show, but a lot of time is spent with these....... meisters

as far as gunpla goes, i still have yet to give it a go on account of an upcoming move but i think big boy virtue might get added to the docket (alongside kimaris trooper) afterward. he big!!!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    can i solicit a very general question: if I'm 11 eps into gundam 00 and still mostly detest the four gundam meisters (lockon's alright), will this possibly change or at least be used effectively as the show continues

i like the world and conflict of the show, but a lot of time is spent with these....... meisters

as far as gunpla goes, i still have yet to give it a go on account of an upcoming move but i think big boy virtue might get added to the docket (alongside kimaris trooper) afterward. he big!!!

That's kind of normal. There's going to be an event that really shakes things up very soon and if that doesn't strike your fancy then I don't blame you.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

I enjoyed the first season, but honestly couldn't care less for the meisters other than Lockon. The other three each had an interesting concept that never felt like it was being used very well; Setsuna in particular just came off feeling like a poor man's version of Full Metal Panic's main protagonist, Sousuke Sagara. Never got around to seeing the second season though, make of that what you will.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    ok, fair enough to know--i'll keep at it for a bit and see how the shake-up strikes me

setsuna in particular is just, a big lump of dirt that repeats his name. tieria has some slack just due to liking the timbre of the dub VO's voice but behavior-wise is at least as insufferable

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    setsuna and tieria definitely go through some changes, especially in the second season

setsuna's always kind of got the robot thing going but less of an asshole eventually

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    What kind of brush would be best used when applying brush-on gloss coat? It’s too cold here for rattlecans.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Soft brush with long bristles! And thin it, if possible, and mmmaybe add a retarding agent. Multiple thin coats plus a slightly longer drying time is better! ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    So does translucent styrene plate exist or is this a thing where I need to figure out how to melt down old runners?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Finally building my Origin RX-78 MG!
    As much as I appreciate the engineering that it takes to have an articulated hand on a single sprue, I definitely prefer interchangeable hands in different grips. May have to pick up a set of the 1/100 scale hand replacements.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    So does translucent styrene plate exist or is this a thing where I need to figure out how to melt down old runners?

Might be able to use a soda bottle?

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

Might be able to use a soda bottle?

hmmmm. Maybe heat treat the plastic after cutting it, see if that'll let it retain a flat shape with pressure applied during the cooling process

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Finished the Unicorn!

VzdMpXR.jpg?2

It turns out that Tamiya Panel Accent does make the plastic brittle, because the fingers on the gun-hand crumbled when I attempted to clean up the lining. Good thing there's a slot on the back to hang the gun.

I still have to topcoat it as well.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    It's late, things are complex in my head right now, and I'm fairly certain that I'm going to get some comments from my landlord about the condition of my apartment tomorrow.

So I only have a teaser of my usual galleries.

iVD3YdVh.jpg

Good LORD that Unicorn is gorgeous.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I'm still chipping away at my own Unicorn

It'll look great when I'm done, but it has so many fiddly bits that my eyes get very tired after a couple hours, so I usually can only finish a couple major sections before setting it aside for later.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    8k7db0hzmbda.jpeg

I got c r a b

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

Gundam is doing a cross promotion with Japan’s horseracing association and I really dig the color scheme on that model.

Also, look at that art.

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Lasbrook wrote: »

Gundam is doing a cross promotion with Japan’s horseracing association and I really dig the color scheme on that model.

Also, look at that art.

But, G Gundam has a Gundam horse. C'mon Bandai!
    3lo9hu5infaf.jpg
    It's even controlled by a real horse using a VR with motion capture cockpit.

I'm not wild about the pattern on the torso and arms for that custom Gundam, but the color scheme looks pretty good. I get that it's supposed to look like a jockey's jersey, but I'd prefer it if they'd just used the traditional color layout, but substituted black for the blue sections (and the red on the shield), and the brown for the yellow and red parts (but just the Federation emblem on the shield).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    I got a bonus in from work so I bought my first MG:

e9a3wb2yf2ue.jpg

27 runners seems like a lot!

• Options
    I love the Red Frame so much

My beautiful sword-boy

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, I ordered a set of metallic gundam markers to kind of spruce it up, maybe use less stickers. Then I started looking at some Liquid Chrome for some detailing, and then fell into a pit looking at ways to use Pledge as a top coat.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    As I said, my Panzer is done! The kit I spent half a year waffling over buying, as the price kept creeping up and up and up...

But finally. It is done.

rivtM1oh.jpg

It's an exquisite piece of kit. Taking a sleek, fast looking mech and bulking it up as if installing skyscrapers on its sides.

wmFsl7Fh.jpg

Just look at the detail on the missile pods. Everything articulated, individually molded, getting across a sense of power, and--

Wait.

---- WHAT'S THAT?!

Y9ITYrbh.jpg

Oh my GOD, the Humanity! It's torn in half! Ahhhh!!!

nVn7m5zh.jpg

All joking aside... The original Panzer armor was awesome. So much so that I put it on my original Liger Zero X, which explains the stickers. But this new guy just destroys the original model, as to be expected. The articulation of the HMM line is in full force here, with the model still being extremely flexible even with all the armor components attached. And when it decides to strike a pose... Hot damn.

zLdWK4ih.jpg

It's actually kind of hard to pose it such that all its missiles are able to fire unobstructed, along with its cannons. Just delicious.

ILhAxj8h.jpg

But, this is the pinnacle. All the HMM CAS's are reunited, to join their forefathers on my shelves. Only one more HMM Liger Zero to join the party - the Empire Version, ye of Red and Gold.

But for now? Well.. eventually, I'll need to panel line the older models. But I'm pretty damned happy with my set.

xoJcK0vh.jpg

2YvGJE3h.jpg

lyvZLjah.jpg

U6bfAsNh.jpg

Athenor on
  • Options
    Do you have the shopping dinosaur zoid yet?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Do you have the shopping dinosaur zoid yet?

Had that for a while, see last thread. :)

• Options
    Progress, of a sorts.

r3zee3l7vbo4.jpg

The gold Gundam marker is very nice. Just from a single pass it looks good. The silver on the other hand is more of a polished steel color, which is fine.

as80etn1wrqw.jpg

Shiny!

Gonna do another go over on the frame parts and then let them cure and then it's time to Pledge. And then like 25 more pages of instructions to go.

• Options
    Wait is the marker actually good for large sections of coloring

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    It has pretty wide tip, yeah.

yvvixijzrog8.jpg

Not sure how much mileage you'd get out of it though.

• Options
    I ment more did it look good

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Wait is the marker actually good for large sections of coloring

No

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Oh hay, I forgot to post pictures of my second model build (Bracer Phoenix!) and first time attempting to do panel lining and some wash shading.
    hsejw9npcoog.jpg0vqhjl2pr274.jpg

My only major fuck up here was somehow the hip joint in the left leg broke and I honestly have no idea how that happened. I picked up the model and noticed one leg was loose and found a piece of the joint had snapped off. Thankfully I was able to glue it back together but due to the way the joint works, I lost some mobility but oh well.

I was wondering what I was gonna do after I finish my Pacific Rim models and then remembered that the Unseen in Battletech are just lifted from anime sooooo Rifleman anyone?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Finally "finished" my Unicorn. Didn't put on all the stickers yet, because man, there are so many of them and they're so goddamn tiny.

Also, the legs are a real pain in the ass to switch into Destroy mode. The pieces in that area come off way, way too easily.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, those inner thigh pieces sure do love to go flying at the slightest touch.

Anyway, a couple more in progress pics, and then I'll give it a rest until sword boy is more complete. The eyes came out pretty well. I was worried that a lack of a black paint marker would make it hard to get the color around them, but I used my panel liner to shade the plastic behind the clear piece, and then went around the eyes with it. Once it dried and was under the other face parts it was hard to tell I hadn't used the sticker, which was very cool.

w8mxtvjh3n58.jpg

I did use the stickers for the chest, since the red metallic marker is more of a zeon optics color. Also dry transfers are the devil, but like the devil are sexy once they're doing their thing.

tvhp8pv948ko.jpg

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I just ordered a Destroid Tomahawk off Ebay because I have curious and deviant needs.

May the model gods be with me.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I wonder how the red frame would look with a white chest, matching up with the blue frame... hmmmmmm

Kinda weird, turns out!

https://sometimesrelevant.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/img_4062.jpg

But looking around, seems like most versions of the blue frame give it a black chest to match up with the red frame. Very interesting...

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I don't know why I want a ball.. but the prospect that my local store is getting in the Ver. Ka Ball is... well.

I have no attachment to these things, why do I want one?!

other stuff my dealer's said he is getting in:

HGUC Kampfer
    HGUC Gouf Custom
    MG Gundam Ez8
    MG Gouf Custom
    MG Ball Ver. Ka
    MG Hi-Nu Gundam (Ver. Ka)