As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    You can pilot Wanzers in Front Mission: Evolved style set pieces, but the majority of the game is set on foot, split between 3 characters trying to survive in a war torn city in which weapons like Wanzers are the norm.

Which is actually a really cool idea for a survival game, and I'm surprised someone hasn't tried it before. It's the first FM game set in Not-Russia, AKA Zaftra territory.

If you've ever seen the Dog Life:Dog Style manga adaptation of FM, it's similar to that.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    huh, that sounds interesting

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I've always liked FM design aesthetics, since as far as mechs go, they're only about twice the size of tanks vertically. In combat, they're upscaled infantry with flexibility against air, armor, and sea targets, but ALL of those weapons can and do kill Wanzers too. So in the finest of real robot traditions, they're just another weapon of war.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    After a week of being in an amazingly deep, depressive funk, I finally did some cleaning and went back to work on Sazabi. I also picked up some different sized Tamaya cotton swabs to try to help detailing and so I don't go through the cheap-ass ones so much.

I'd been dreading the shoulders ever since helping a friend to assemble his. And yet... I found it... incredibly easy? Everything slid in exactly where I was expecting and snapped into place. Literally everything was perfect. It made me feel like a wizard. And I was smart enough not to panel line the covered parts!

8oMk5e5h.jpg?1

YLvIvPNh.jpg

All that's left is the backpack and weapons!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    ... Does Sazabi store his beam sabers in his forearms, hidden blade style?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I had to check the lineart because I couldn't remember, but yes, yes it does.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    ... Does Sazabi store his beam sabers in his forearms, hidden blade style?

Yes. In the RG they slot in and if you look at the wrists you'll see where you'd plug in the beam blade. In the MG, the forearm cover pops open a bit to expose it, but it's still angled forward so you can having with the punching blade pose.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    So I used dry decals for the first time ever:
    umfoqebj1ycc.jpg
    I first tried it out on the Mobile Haro, and I am quite pleased with the result; dry decals definitely are the way to go if you don't want some "matte film" around the decal.
    And they worked out really fine on a curved surface like the Mobile Haro's belly.

Then I tried out the triangular "caution" decal on the PG, and some sticky residu got left on there, and a little bit got torn off.
    So my lesson learnt is: don't keep rubbing too long!

Then I placed the "01" decal, and, by using the Scotch Tape trick, I could place it exactly back when quite a bit was incomplete, allowing me to keep the numbers whole in one piece.
    It did however, get a bit irregular at the edges, because it seemed like it had smeared out a bit.
    I removed the little smears with a toothpick.

One thing about dry decals I have to learn is "know that it will not perfect, and look like the paint may be a little bit worn" as opposed to perfect image stickers (inside a matte rectangle).
    But that is more my perfectionism that is squealing :wink:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    I need to learn how to do dry stickers if I'm gonna get further into this hobby.

But hey, my Sazabi is done! Well.. except for some heavy panel lining in the shield area and a once-over with the black to sharpen up the non-red areas.

BKPYKwUh.jpg

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    0l01yxwsahhm.jpg

Well that looks ominous.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Don't touch Char's mead

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PG Char's Zaku II?

• Options
    Yeah putting the Amazon gift cards I got for Christmas to good use.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    don't mind me, just gonna procrastinate starting on my Sazabi by buying more gunpla...

(no seriously, don't live the way i do)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Ok I have some dumb questions
    The Bandai clone/storm/first order troopers are model kits? I found a ton of people showing custom paints or items or dioramas they did which the last inspired me.
    Is the scout trooper kit I found the same scale? I don't think the ATST is because it would be large if it was 1/12

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Ok I have some dumb questions
    The Bandai clone/storm/first order troopers are model kits? I found a ton of people showing custom paints or items or dioramas they did which the last inspired me.
    Is the scout trooper kit I found the same scale? I don't think the ATST is because it would be large if it was 1/12

If I'm doing the mental math right, an AT-ST model that was 1/12 scale would be ~30 inches tall.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    It took a lot of effort but it's 1/48
    wrx9r92dj7pe.png

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Perfect Grade Shenanigans, Step 8:
    HG: +3 = 25 pieces
    PG: +7 = 146 pieces
    mcd8liv6ijwb.jpg
    Right leg finished!
    Only 7 pieces of armour cover up most of the leg.
    Dry decals are less stressful to position (as I used a piece of Scotch Tape to fix and keep them into place before rubbing) but more stressful to get them perfect.
    When I thought the articulation would be limited by the armour: I was dead wrong! :biggrin:

Up next: the right arm (so that a lot of sprues that I have 2 of can be emptied and removed) and I need to give a little love to Char's HG Z'Gok.

Corporal Carl on
  • Options
    Why didn't I awesome that post when I first saw it? Damnit.. need to show more love to people.

Speaking of... I have a bit of an odd request.

I have a friend who is looking to get his hands on an HMM Shadow Fox. Unfortunately, their prices have skyrocketed online, like most other HMM Zoids, going for $150-200 for a kit that should be $50-80 (including shipping).

Anyone happen to have any local stores that have that model? Or know "reasonable" sellers?

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Athenor wrote: »
    I have a friend who is looking to get his hands on an HMM Shadow Fox. Unfortunately, their prices have skyrocketed online, like most other HMM Zoids, going for $150-200 for a kit that should be $50-80 (including shipping).

Anyone happen to have any local stores that have that model? Or know "reasonable" sellers?
    I managed to buy one recently for 50 euro (+ 6 euro shipping).

I am, however, willing to part with it because:
    - 1/72 is not my scale
    - I still have 3 1/144 MSS Zoids to do
    - I have a huge backlog :redface:
    dn44rwd1wzho.jpg
    (only the box in the far back has my boxes of my finished models).

Where in the world are you located? So that I can go to my post office and ask how much it costs to send it to you?

Because you are the cause of pointing out those Zoids kits, you can have it for my 56 euro + the shipping costs I need to ask at the post office.
    No need to ask for more for a fellow enthousiastic forumer. :wink:

So as soon as I know where to send it, you can PM me your address.
    Now I know that bank accounts have an IBAN number (International Bank Account Number); and I have used it to pay for stuff in Germany and the UK (I live in Belgium).
    Has anyone tried that method of payment between continents? Because that should be an easy way to send money to somewhere I guess...

EDIT: Just to be sure, it's this one, right?
    o5vhiktl5jdc.jpg

Corporal Carl on
  • Options
    It is. :) I should note I already have a Shadow Fox, this is for a friend (I've posted some of his paint jobs here in the thread).

I live in Bloomington/Normal, IL.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Started a new model (finally) today! Working on my mustachioed son.

rkihh287v9ob.jpg

I also have one of those action stands so I can show him a flying through space like the totally awesome weirdo Gundam that he is.

• Options
    I always want to call Turn A "señor"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    does that one come with a scale cow or is it just the MG

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Trim that beard!!!!

Make the point!!!!!!

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Wait, I've never seen Turn A, does that have a literal cockpit?

• Options
    more of a belly buttonpit

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    the whole front skirt is basically the suit's core fighter

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Gundam NT

Tonight!

• Options
    Relevant to the thread?

OQ4fZduh.jpg

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Gundam NT

Tonight!

that sure was a film

... I felt really bad for my friends who tagged along with me to see it given they hadn't watched a single piece of gundam media ever before this

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I've been hard at work

03xp9msvmyjx.jpg

jeowi11p12hj.jpg

Adjustable fingers are fun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Is that a gundam pen? I had one of those when I was doing water colors for line work

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Is that a gundam pen? I had one of those when I was doing water colors for line work

Pigma Micron, similar to the gundam pens.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    does that one come with a scale cow or is it just the MG

I'm building the newer 1/144 HG, which sadly lacks a cow. The MG is the kit with the cow, I believe.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Bunch of gunpla went on clearance at work

Ended up grabbing RG Sinanju, RE/100 Jagd Doga, and HGUC Dijeh

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

I kinda want a Dijeh but it's pretty far down my list.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

I kinda want a Dijeh but it's pretty far down my list.

For $6 I basically couldn't pass it up

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Maaaan I want a jagd Dogs

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg