As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mueller Investigation] Where there's smock, there's liar.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-confides-friends-he-s-concerned-about-impeachment-n947296
    Trump confides to friends he's concerned about impeachment

Despite public declarations that he's unconcerned, the president has told people close to him he's alarmed about the prospect of impeachment.
    Trump has ranted about why no one around him is doing anything to stop any of it and vented about the lack of support he believes he has in Congress and within his own White House, the sources tell NBC News.

In addition to the much-anticipated report from Mueller on the Russia investigation, Democrats could ask prosecutors in the SDNY to similarly share details of their probe into Cohen that are related to the president.

Trump has in recent days been made aware of this possibility from people close to him, opening up a new vulnerability for the president.
    This all feels very Nixonian.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Missed this somehow, but Trump apparently said he won't be impeached because "people will revolt." Once again using the soapbox he has to signal his supporters, inherently violent, to get violent. via MSNBC (citing Reuters)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5jYzIrb-24

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-confides-friends-he-s-concerned-about-impeachment-n947296

Despite public declarations that he's unconcerned, the president has told people close to him he's alarmed about the prospect of impeachment.
    Trump has ranted about why no one around him is doing anything to stop any of it and vented about the lack of support he believes he has in Congress and within his own White House, the sources tell NBC News.

In addition to the much-anticipated report from Mueller on the Russia investigation, Democrats could ask prosecutors in the SDNY to similarly share details of their probe into Cohen that are related to the president.

Trump has in recent days been made aware of this possibility from people close to him, opening up a new vulnerability for the president.

It’s not even a surprise anymore that he’s upset that someone around him isn’t doing more to stop this.

It’s more funny, in a pathetic sort of way, that he expects those around him to basically break the law to protect him. Especially when those people who are supposed to save him have all seen how Trump will do absolutely nothing to help them out if they do.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Missed this somehow, but Trump apparently said he won't be impeached because "people will revolt." Once again using the soapbox he has to signal his supporters, inherently violent, to get violent. via MSNBC (citing Reuters)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5jYzIrb-24

I saw that too, and it was my immediate reaction that he was absolutely signaling his base.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Seems fishy to me

Trump has friends?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    The fact that he feels the need to issue threats like that tells me he is at least legitimately worried about it.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Trump's base of elderly weirdos will surely do a coup for him.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I saw that too, and it was my immediate reaction that he was absolutely signaling his base.

He's dropped that revolt line a couple times before. I don't think he's signaling anything, it's just more bullshit coming out of his mouth.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Seems fishy to me

Trump has friends?

Rich people mistake hanger ons for friends.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

I'm less worried about some geezers who miss the days when blacks couldn't drink from their water fountains then I am that the militias will take this as a call to arms and go full domestic terrorist.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

He's dropped that revolt line a couple times before. I don't think he's signaling anything, it's just more bullshit coming out of his mouth.

He thinks he's obviously super popular and so his supporters won't stand for him being pushed around.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

He thinks he's obviously super popular and so his supporters won't stand for him being pushed around.

Yeah it sounds more like the talk of someone deep in the Fox News bubble who only goes to his own masturbatory rallies.

• Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular

And with the conservative base he still is.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

I'm less worried about some geezers who miss the days when blacks couldn't drink from their water fountains then I am that the militias will take this as a call to arms and go full domestic terrorist.

I'm a bit worried we'll have an American version of the Troubles, even if Trump leaves some way.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Dunder wrote: »

yeah, but the base isn't going to fly or drive into DC to protest. A couple crackpots (aka true believers) might take a few pot shots at a government building or two though =/

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

yeah, but the base isn't going to fly or drive into DC to protest. A couple crackpots (aka true believers) might take a few pot shots at a government building or two though =/

I mean, that's already happened. MAGAvan bomber.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

I mean, that's already happened. MAGAvan bomber.

There has been lots of right-wing domestic terrorism in the past 2 years (and before)

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

While this would be an extremely bad thing, it may be the only way to undo the Gordon Knot we’ve created.

So do we know what/when the next drop from Mueller is gonna be? Like a scheduled filing? Or is somebody going to get indicted?

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Per the Washington Post, Maria Butina pleads guilty.
    A Russian gun rights activist pleaded guilty Thursday to conspiring with a senior Russian official to infiltrate the conservative movement in the United States as an agent for the Kremlin from 2015 until her arrest in July 2017.

That's our world now, folks.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Conspiracy agains the United States as a foreign agent only has a 5 year maximum sentence?

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    Conspiracy agains the United States as a foreign agent only has a 5 year maximum sentence?

Plea deal

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well that seems ominous

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    If Butina is going to give evidence against the NRA/Republican party, then that has got to mean Putin is angry at Trump, because if she did so without Russia's blessing she could look forward to a polonium sandwich and a quick trip off the roof when she gets back.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    She can never return to Russia and will be checking her closets and under her bed for the rest of her life.

• Options
    If Butina is going to give evidence against the NRA/Republican party, then that has got to mean Putin is angry at Trump, because if she did so without Russia's blessing she could look forward to a polonium sandwich and a quick trip off the roof when she gets back.

ehh it would be VERY hard for her to be talking with Russia in Federal custody

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Last I knew weren't her lawyers being "provided" for her? She was recently granted basically a PD which is a sign of issues with lawyers.

As it is, this may just be phase 2 for Putin. The likely outcomes of Trump's dirt becoming public aren't exactly bad for Russia.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular

Plea deal

It's a somewhat oddball result. The charge of conspiracy has a maximum five year sentence. Thing is, conspiracy doesn't stand alone - there has to be an underlying offense. In this case, acting as a foreign agent carries a maximum of ten years. What she pled to though is just the charge of conspiracy, thus the shorter maximum sentence.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Seems fishy to me

Trump has friends?

They are well-wishers, in that they don't mean him any specific harm.

• Options

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/09/17/why-russians-keep-visiting-mariia-butina-in-prison-220061

Since the whole world is a silly spy movie these days, they could easily use a pre-set code-phrases to let her know she is free to make a deal.

• Options

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/09/17/why-russians-keep-visiting-mariia-butina-in-prison-220061

Since the whole world is a silly spy movie these days, they could easily use a pre-set code-phrases to let her know she is free to make a deal.

What why the fuck would we be allowing this

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

Plea deal

I wonder if her plea deal contained arrangements for her not dying of a car crash with high levels of polonium in her blood

• Options

Or Putins's just dicking with the US.

Because remember: Putin is not a friend of american conservatives. He's used them to undermine the dems because he knew he didn't want to deal with Hillary, but undermining one of the alt right's most important institutions with questions of it's objectivity causes more domestic confusion and thus prevents people from focusing on him down the road.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    She can never return to Russia and will be checking her closets and under her bed for the rest of her life.

Except after her sentence she'll probably be deported there

• Options
    edited December 2018

What why the fuck would we be allowing this

Probably cause you can record everything they say to each other. And possibly because there's a bit of diplomatic back and forth going on with assets, professional courtesy, and etc.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    No-Quarter wrote: »

Except after her sentence she'll probably be deported there

Not if part of the deal involves her entering witness protection so that she can provide intel to the FBI.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I bet there's some very nervous people at NRA headquarters today.

Also Trump comes right out and says it today, "I never directed Cohen to break the law"

His legal team must feel pretty strongly that they're solid on this fact. That last sentence though....
    As a lawyer, Michael has great liability to me!

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I bet there's some very nervous people at NRA headquarters today.

Thoughts and prayers go out to them all

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular

Plea deal

It's a somewhat oddball result. The charge of conspiracy has a maximum five year sentence. Thing is, conspiracy doesn't stand alone - there has to be an underlying offense. In this case, acting as a foreign agent carries a maximum of ten years. What she pled to though is just the charge of conspiracy, thus the shorter maximum sentence.

Incorrect. At the federal level, conspiracy itself is a crime with a 5 year jail sentence attached. You can be convicted solely of conspiracy and no other crime. I agree, it's ridiculous.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Or Putins's just dicking with the US.

Because remember: Putin is not a friend of american conservatives. He's used them to undermine the dems because he knew he didn't want to deal with Hillary, but undermining one of the alt right's most important institutions with questions of it's objectivity causes more domestic confusion and thus prevents people from focusing on him down the road.

Yeah, if Putin can further fracture and entrench things, he will. I am sure it wouldn't be hard to spin possible events as "Democrat witch hunt destroys the NRA: they're coming for your guns."

This discussion has been closed.