As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I am watching a Futurama Holiday Special.
    SteevL wrote: »

edit: people replying back with "Randy Snitchford"
    heh

Same thing happening at West County Mall in Des Peres, MO. Despite being illegal, I wonder about the quality of these systems.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Within hours of putting in an order for one of those shady looking plug and play arcade stick setups the Street-Fighter cab went on sale for less money than I spent... :bigfrown:

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Anyone using the $20 wireless SNES controllers they sell at Target? Pretty tempted to pick one up, but wanted a yea/nay from you good folk.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    hahaha, jesus, these things are already half off

No gift card this time, but they took $5 off the previous price.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    That’s....not a good sign.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    So I just had an idea about the classic. Maybe Sony dumped out the NA/EU versions to justify having a really good JP version. I just took a look and while the JP list is not my idea of perfect it is much better in my mind. Maybe still not 100 but getting closer for sure.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Also, I took my big step: my Neo Geo X dock came in over the weekend, so after staring at it admiringly, I placed an order for a Raspberry Pi 3 B+, some low-profile passive heat sinks, and a 32 GB Micro SD as an add-on item.

God knows when that $9 of cables will come from AliExpress, but I'll have everything I need to actually set up RetroPie just sitting on my desk. After years of ignoring it, jumping into Raspberry Pi headfirst.

If you don't mind sharing, I'd be interested in knowing what you ended up spending total at the end for this. I've been thinking about possibly doing a retropie arcade joystick setup, with usb outs for a second joystick/different controllers.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I guess this would be the right thread to ask. Recently with those 1up Arcade cabinets being the new hotness I've been debating using some stashed gift cards to grab one and Raspberry Pi the hell out of it. Then another thought occurred to me, what if I just got one of those plug in play arcade controller decks and called it a day? That way it could be portable and I could take it with me to friends houses and such. I'd also be able to plug it into my big-ass OLED TV and not be anchored to a cabinet with a far far far smaller/lower quality display.

Amazon has things like this for sale, but it comes off very Chinese bootleg-y. So are there any decent recommendations for this specific type of plug-n-play setup? Or is the thing that I just linked an actually half-decent first step for the 230 bucks that it goes for?

You probably know, but in case you don’t, those 1Up cabinets are 3/4 the scale of traditional cabinets. It doesn’t sound like much, but the end result is substantially shorter, so expect to do a fair amount of kneeling or leaning. I’ve been tempted myself, but the height difference kills it for me. Something like 6 ft traditional vs 4 ft for the 1Up kits.

Yeah those sticks do scream, "shady as heck". But guess for those who don't want to mod anything they are a good deal? Dunno, since I have been looking at real arcade buttons and sticks to make my own the prices are pretty high compared to what you linked @The_Spaniard . But at least they will be arcade quality and not break down after a few months of usage. Plus I figure it might be fun to make my own "joystick thing" to play games on the TV.

I have seen one of the 1UP Cabinets in the wild and they had it on the pedestal to make them taller. With that they are pretty normal height and not that bad of a unit. I personally think they are cool and wish I had the room to house one or two of them.

I watched a couple of reviews and they were all down on the sticks and buttons. I'm curious how much of a value these machines are when you add in swapping out buttons, sticks and such.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Anyone know if the Japanese version of the PlayStation Classic runs any better?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    So I just had an idea about the classic. Maybe Sony dumped out the NA/EU versions to justify having a really good JP version. I just took a look and while the JP list is not my idea of perfect it is much better in my mind. Maybe still not 100 but getting closer for sure.

The JP version is also selling like shite. So that would be a pretty bad plan on their part.

Also its still the same emulator and internals so its not going to run any better. Aside from zero PAL games.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I feel bad enough for asking...but does anyone have RetroPie power supply experience? If so, PM me.

I was planning to post a bunch of photos from my fun-RetroPie-gaming-system adventure, but truth be told I'm about as likely to throw in the towel and return it. The hardware was jealous of what a pain in the ass the software was being.
    RickRude wrote: »
    Also, I took my big step: my Neo Geo X dock came in over the weekend, so after staring at it admiringly, I placed an order for a Raspberry Pi 3 B+, some low-profile passive heat sinks, and a 32 GB Micro SD as an add-on item.

God knows when that $9 of cables will come from AliExpress, but I'll have everything I need to actually set up RetroPie just sitting on my desk. After years of ignoring it, jumping into Raspberry Pi headfirst.

If you don't mind sharing, I'd be interested in knowing what you ended up spending total at the end for this. I've been thinking about possibly doing a retropie arcade joystick setup, with usb outs for a second joystick/different controllers.

I mean, so far I'd say...don't, unless you have no other possible alternative, including a laptop. :sad:

Synthesis on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    PlayStation Classics are (nearly) half-price at Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/PlayStation-9980094-Sony-Classic-Console/dp/B071G84NHX

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Did not expect PlayStation classics to nosedive that fast.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Literally half price at gamestop as of last Thursday. Not shocked honestly.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Did not expect PlayStation classics to nosedive that fast.

They'll be twenty quid by the time Brexit rolls around. At which point they'll be the only video game system we'll be able to afford anyway. Once we've saved up.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    One guy in the Discord I'm in managed to snag a PSC for $35 from Target through some sort of online price matching witchcraft or something.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Man, the PSC is only selling so well because there's hacking already. Without that, I don't think Sony would be able to move them for 10 bucks

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    At various Canadian stores it looks like the price is down to $80 CAD (down from $130).

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Anecdotal AF, but PS Classics were abundant at my local Target. They were literally the only game systems left other than two or three 3DS/2DS.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Wonder what doomed this thing? The weird game choices, or a general lack of nostalgia for the awkward-ass early 3D era?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Glad I didn't grab one at launch. I'll wait and when it is a bit lower, I'll grab one for the sheer novelty of having it. I'm just said at how poorly Sony handled this thing. The PS1 has so many legitimately great games and even if the early 3D looks like poop now, some of the pixel 2D games and RPGs that graced the PS1 are still a blast to play.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Wonder what doomed this thing? The weird game choices, or a general lack of nostalgia for the awkward-ass early 3D era?

Shit implementation didn't help.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The PS1 classic reminds me of how poorly Sony handled the Sony Smash Bros. They don't always seem to have a lot of respect for what made them a monster in the industry. They just release stuff to release them. The PS1 had a bunch of games but very few of them are the games that made the PS1 awesome. The 'hidden' games that were found on the system were closer to what the system should have had at launch.

Sony Smash Bros. also ignored half the characters that made Sony a giant in the industry and instead focused on mostly boring, out of nowhere, and obviously advertising choices to make up the roster.

Sony is weird sometimes.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I have to imagine it's more on the botched execution. I feel like between people who are super into games, and people who fondly remember the PS1 from their childhood and would get it as a nice nostalgia trip, it should have been a slam dunk. It is interesting to me that there was enough negative buzz around it to affect its sales to this extent. It's hard to gauge sometimes how widespread that sort of thing is.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Seems like a simple case of "Eh, I don't know if I actually want this thing" from people, followed by an increasingly reported string of "This thing has issues and is kind of crap".

Honestly, I kind of think that even if this thing had the perfect list of games and emulated everything pitch perfect, it still wouldn't have lit the world on fire. But now that we have customers and reviewers saying "Yeah this thing is shite don't buy it" and retailers with full shelves of a product people are saying they don't want? Yeah, time to drop the price and hopefully move these things.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Sony pretty much forced this thing out the door way before it was done. The one article I read a while ago was from the inside, and apparently they were all ready to try and get the licenses to most of the games from the "hidden list". Deadlines came and went and the end result is what Sony deserved.

Edit: Sorry, quoted the wrong post.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    The PS1 classic reminds me of how poorly Sony handled the Sony Smash Bros. They don't always seem to have a lot of respect for what made them a monster in the industry. They just release stuff to release them. The PS1 had a bunch of games but very few of them are the games that made the PS1 awesome. The 'hidden' games that were found on the system were closer to what the system should have had at launch.

Sony Smash Bros. also ignored half the characters that made Sony a giant in the industry and instead focused on mostly boring, out of nowhere, and obviously advertising choices to make up the roster.

Sony is weird sometimes.

I have trouble picture what Sony's Smash Brothers should've looked like, since so many iconic Playstation 1 characters were actually "PC and Playstation characters." Lara Croft comes to mind. Anyone from Resident Evil as well. But I didn't have a Playstation at the time of its release, despite living in Japan. Maybe that distinction doesn't matter in the least. No one was screaming about not including Musashi from Brave Fencher Musashi, and that game was only available on PS1.

Then again, by now Smash Brothers has one or two characters who weren't on any Nintendo platform...prior to being in Smash Brothers. But at least back on the Nintendo 64 that was very clearly not the case.

Eh, I have no idea how to do a purely ensemble cast fighting game. Probably another reason I've never gotten that into Smash Brothers despite playing every single incarnation.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Much like the PSClassic, PlayStation All Stars felt like a "me too!" from Sony without putting in the effort. The issue is, again, if you're going to copy them then you need to put in the effort to do so. All-Stars was a very hollow experience, but if Smash Bros didn't exist it would have been a pretty okay game. But it's ALWAYS going to be compared to Smash Bros and therefore looks bad in comparison. Same with the PSC.

If the PSC came with more JRPGs I would have absolutely bought it.

• Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Sony is weird sometimes.

I have trouble picture what Sony's Smash Brothers should've looked like, since so many iconic Playstation 1 characters were actually "PC and Playstation characters." Lara Croft comes to mind. Anyone from Resident Evil as well. But I didn't have a Playstation at the time of its release, despite living in Japan. Maybe that distinction doesn't matter in the least. No one was screaming about not including Musashi from Brave Fencher Musashi, and that game was only available on PS1.

Then again, by now Smash Brothers has one or two characters who weren't on any Nintendo platform...prior to being in Smash Brothers. But at least back on the Nintendo 64 that was very clearly not the case.

Eh, I have no idea how to do a purely ensemble cast fighting game. Probably another reason I've never gotten that into Smash Brothers despite playing every single incarnation.

Their main mistake was not shelling out to license Crash and Spyro, while shelling out for loads of flavors of the month.

Well, that and making the fighting pretty meh and unbalanced.

Also that stupid-ass name.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I thought the name was fine. Definitely not their worst work.

EDIT: Looking at the list of fighters though, Jesus, there were some dumb choices, even I can see that. Big Daddy? I'm having trouble remembering a single person who first played Bioshock on PS3, seeing how it came out a year earlier on Xbox 360, which people actually owned. Even back then, no one cared about Killzone, you might as well have dropped some unnamed Shinra Military Policeman from Final Fantasy VII, at least people loved that game. The worst version of Dante by clear consensus of the community, unless there's a version of him who gushes nonstop about how great a game Devil May Cry 2 is, and how it's the children who were wrong (on top of also being on Xbox 360, unlike Devil May Cry on the PS2). Dead Space was more popular on Xbox 360, but at least they picked the main character. I seriously wonder if anyone remembered any drivers from Twisted Metal. Whatever Sony paid for those characters, it was a waste of money.

Heihachi, the Heavenly Sword woman, and obviously Kratos were all good choices, though only one of them belonged to the original Playstation. By then Tekken 6 came to Xbox 360, but at least these were all characters who were clearly more popular on Playstation.

I really don't remember how successful the game was in the long term, but the character list definitely didn't bode well for it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Actually that's still technically not the case, even Joker was on a Nintendo platform (3DS) prior to Smash, if only by about a week.

Edit: Now if you only count "main games" and not spinoffs or cameos then yeah, Cloud was only a summonable cameo and Joker was in a spinoff.

homogenized on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, of all the third party characters in there only Heihachi and maybe Isaac have aged well, and even then they're not the most iconic characters out there.

Apparently the game sold a million copies on PS3 and Vita combined. Given its positioning that's likely no better than "disappointing."

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Actually that's still technically not the case, even Joker was on a Nintendo platform (3DS) prior to Smash, if only by about a week.

Cloud Strife comes to mind, but I've heard some really tenuous explanation how he was actually on a Nintendo platform (some strategy RPG put out by Square in the old days as a guest character?) so it totally counts, totally a Nintendo character.

But it's forgivable, considering that was already the sequel to a sequel when he appeared.

• Options

Plus Cloud was considered a representative of Final Fantasy as a whole, and loads of those games are on Nintendo systems. Same thing with Joker if you consider him a Shin Megami Tensei rep.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Cloud is kind of oddball being a PlayStation character.

• Options
    I would have preferred a chocobo or a black mage, but apparently Squeenix insisted on Cloud.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Krathoon wrote: »

Yeah, Nintendo probably just had very good timing and positioning (or someone greased the right elbows regardless of what the official policy for Smash cameos is). There's a whole cast of beloved Final Fantasy VI characters who would've made perfect sense, but very clearly, none of them are Cloud famous. On top of that, since then a Final Fantasy VII remake on PS3, years in the advertising, collapsed into a big joke, and a remake on the PS4, with something vaguely resembling gameplay footage has apparently been aborted and will be "tried again from the top." Kind of funny in retrospect.

Good luck trying to play as Cloud on a Nintendo platform outside of Smash Brothers (or hacking a Playstation game onto the hardware).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    A key difference between Smash and PS All Stars is that with Smash, there are a lot of core characters who are literally Nintendo characters. Not just strongly affiliated with Nintendo, but actually created and owned by Nintendo. Sony has always been more about third parties, which is fine and has worked very well for them. But it does mean that they have far fewer characters who are truly "PlayStation" characters.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Yeah, Nintendo probably just had very good timing and positioning (or someone greased the right elbows regardless of what the official policy for Smash cameos is). There's a whole cast of beloved Final Fantasy VI characters who would've made perfect sense, but very clearly, none of them are Cloud famous. On top of that, since then a Final Fantasy VII remake on PS3, years in the advertising, collapsed into a big joke, and a remake on the PS4, with something vaguely resembling gameplay footage has apparently been aborted and will be "tried again from the top." Kind of funny in retrospect.

Good luck trying to play as Cloud on a Nintendo platform outside of Smash Brothers (or hacking a Playstation game onto the hardware).

Cloud was in two Nintendo Kingdom Hearts games as a boss and then supporting character, so he's in on a technicality. They are doing a bunch of FFs on Switch including 7 though, so this soon won't be a thing.