As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I wonder if At Games will run into some legal problems with adding that SD cart slot to their new consoles.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Who's going to sue them, Sega?

As long as it can't do Nintendo systems its probably safe.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Who's going to sue them, Sega?

As long as it can't do Nintendo systems its probably safe.

They also got it on an Atari and an arcade console.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    They had it on some older iterations, too -- the handheld, at the very least.

Now, speaking of SEGA and Mini consoles...

Long story short: There are some choices to be made.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    They had it on some older iterations, too -- the handheld, at the very least.

Now, speaking of SEGA and Mini consoles...

Long story short: There are some choices to be made.

I saw that a day or two ago. Choosing between Shining Force I and II is painful.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Is this even going to apply to the Western version? I mean were those puyo puyos even released here?

• Options
    Shining Force 2 is better. The story reels you in.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I... why? Why would Sega willingly hamstring their mini by leaving out big, beloved games?

Unless of course this is a ruse and they'll ultimately go "surprise! We put all the games in!"

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Is this even going to apply to the Western version? I mean were those puyo puyos even released here?

That's the million dollar question.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

I think the first western Puyo game that didn’t have a Sonic-or-Kirby-themed reskin was Puyo Pop for the NGPC, so like 1999?

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I've been starting to think about picking up a Sega Saturn again. Idly watching a few eBay auctions, it's becoming obvious that at some point the prices on the things have definitely gone up. Way up. They're fetching noticeable money now; time was you couldn't give them away, of course.

Of course it's very unlikely that we'd ever see a Saturn Classic, since it's a notoriously hard machine to emulate. And it would be too hard of a sell, probably, since it was (undeservedly) never a particularly popular machine. But on the other hand, it's the sort of hypothetical thing that could say "hey, this thing actually did have a bunch of amazing games that you may well have missed out on the first time around".

This sparked off from me wanting to play Fighters Megamix again. But man, there was some great stuff on the Saturn. I've always regretted selling my first one. One of the dumbest things I've ever done in my gaming career.

Hypothetical and slightly whimsical Saturn Classic first draft game list:

Burning Rangers
    Daytona USA
    Dragon Force
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Fighters Megamix
    Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter
    Nights into Dreams (& Christmas Nights)
    Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei
    Quake
    Radiant Silvergun
    Sega Ages Vol. 1 (After Burner, Out Run, Space Harrier)
    Sega Rally Championship
    Shining Force III
    Shining the Holy Ark
    Sonic R
    Tempest 2000
    Thunder Force V
    Virtua Racing
    Virtual On: Cyber Troopers

That's 20, focusing on games that had a Western release and trying to avoid some redundancy (so no Last Bronx, Fighting Vipers, Virtua Fighter I or II - all covered by Fighters Megamix - and no X-Men vs Street Fighter, apparently that only got a Japanese release and its successor MSHvSF is on the list; I'm assuming a Classic system would also emulate the RAM expansion cart, and of course I'm ignoring Marvel licensing nightmares). Quake and Duke make it on there because their Saturn versions were actually amazingly good, Quake especially, and they include a bonus mini-game if you owned them both. Thunder Force V and Radiant Silvergun are the only Japanese exclusives there; the latter really is a must, although it did also come to XBLA eventally.

Here's the list of releases for the Saturn if you guys want to peruse it for anything I've missed.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    I've been starting to think about picking up a Sega Saturn again. Idly watching a few eBay auctions, it's becoming obvious that at some point the prices on the things have definitely gone up. Way up. They're fetching noticeable money now; time was you couldn't give them away, of course.

Of course it's very unlikely that we'd ever see a Saturn Classic, since it's a notoriously hard machine to emulate. And it would be too hard of a sell, probably, since it was (undeservedly) never a particularly popular machine. But on the other hand, it's the sort of hypothetical thing that could say "hey, this thing actually did have a bunch of amazing games that you may well have missed out on the first time around".

This sparked off from me wanting to play Fighters Megamix again. But man, there was some great stuff on the Saturn. I've always regretted selling my first one. One of the dumbest things I've ever done in my gaming career.

Burning Rangers
    Daytona USA
    Dragon Force
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Fighters Megamix
    Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei
    Quake
    Radiant Silvergun
    Sega Rally Championship
    Shining Force III
    Shining the Holy Ark
    Sonic R
    Tempest 2000
    Thunder Force V
    Virtua Racing

That's 20, focusing on games that had a Western release and trying to avoid some redundancy (so no Last Bronx, Fighting Vipers, Virtua Fighter I or II - all covered by Fighters Megamix - and no X-Men vs Street Fighter, apparently that only got a Japanese release and its successor MSHvSF is on the list; I'm assuming a Classic system would also emulate the RAM expansion cart, and of course I'm ignoring Marvel licensing nightmares). Quake and Duke make it on there because their Saturn versions were actually amazingly good, Quake especially, and they include a bonus mini-game if you owned them both. Thunder Force V and Radiant Silvergun are the only Japanese exclusives there; the latter really is a must, although it did also come to XBLA eventally.

Here's the list of releases for the Saturn if you guys want to peruse it for anything I've missed.

Great list!
    I'd add Guardian Heroes.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »

Burning Rangers
    Daytona USA
    Dragon Force
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Fighters Megamix
    Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei
    Quake
    Radiant Silvergun
    Sega Rally Championship
    Shining Force III
    Shining the Holy Ark
    Sonic R
    Tempest 2000
    Thunder Force V
    Virtua Racing

Great list!
    I'd add Guardian Heroes.

:bro:

My second favorite game of all time. But I will say the xbla version is a marked improvement.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I kinda want a Saturn Mini just because I'd like to check out Panzer Dragoon Saga, and the Saturn Mini would be five times cheaper than buying an actual used copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga at this point.

• Options
    Yeah. That game does not come cheap.

• Options
    Frem wrote: »
    I kinda want a Saturn Mini just because I'd like to check out Panzer Dragoon Saga, and the Saturn Mini would be five times cheaper than buying an actual used copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga at this point.

Years ago, I played through it, but did not pay for it. It's very good!

But not worth the ebay price.

• Options
    Another important Saturn addition is Saturn Bomberman, which is the best multiplayer Bomberman for me. It has a 10 player mode!

Once I get myself more settled, I’d like to look into replacing the CD drive on my Saturn with an SD card reader. It doesn’t respond when a disc is put into the drive anymore. I suspect that the motor is dead.

• Options
    I actually deliberately left off Saturn Bomberman just because of the unlikelihood of a Saturn Classic supporting more than two players. But yeah, it was great.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    That is a fine list for a dream console. Exhumed/Powerslave was both (a) fantastic and (b) virtually impossible to complete without save states so I would put that on there as well. Maybe Daytona CCE over plain Daytona?

I owned two Saturns, but sold one of them and most of my games a few years ago. The amount of money people were willing to pay for Saturn titles made me blush at the time, and I deliberately do not look at what they are going for nowadays.

• Options
    I'd like Sonic Jam, but if that's not possible, I'd like a retooled hub world from it to be an optional menu here (as well as a more straightforward one, of course).

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'm probably in the minority but I really liked Bug on the Saturn. Also a Saturn mini would need some form of Virtua Fighter.

It's one of the consoles I've never owned and I've always been tempted by. The other is the N64.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I suppose a Dreamcast mini would just never happen?
    You can put just Skies of Arcadia on it if you like, I'll still buy it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm guessing the complete failure of the PlayStation mini will scare off anyone else from making a mini from relatively newer hardware. Never mind Sony was directly responsible for at least 50% of that fuckup.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

Puyo Puyo was released as Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. But there's a good chance that the original Puyo Puyo won't be on the Japanese version, as Puyo Puyo Tsu is the series's breakout hit.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm guessing the complete failure of the PlayStation mini will scare off anyone else from making a mini from relatively newer hardware. Never mind Sony was directly responsible for at least 50% of that fuckup.

Probably. But wouldn't it be nice if the lesson they took from it was a combination of the NES, SNES and PlayStation, which is if you don't half-ass it, but take the care to do it right, it can be brilliant and shift a metric fuckton of units?

It'll never happen, though.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    A dreamcast mini I would want so badly.

Sonic Adventure 1 + 2
    Ecco the Tides of Time
    Crazy Taxi
    Skies of Arcadia
    Code Veronica
    Rayman 2
    Marvel vs Capcom 2

There are more but those are just the top of my head games that made the Dreamcast great.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Sonic Adventure 1 + 2
    Ecco the Tides of Time
    Crazy Taxi
    Skies of Arcadia
    Code Veronica
    Rayman 2
    Marvel vs Capcom 2

There are more but those are just the top of my head games that made the Dreamcast great.

Ironically it'd cost more than the Dreamcast did a month after it was released. :P

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Sonic Adventure 1 + 2
    Ecco the Tides of Time
    Crazy Taxi
    Skies of Arcadia
    Code Veronica
    Rayman 2
    Marvel vs Capcom 2

Only missing Phantasy Star Online, but of course that's never going to happen. Not with a mini console at least.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Quake 3, Phantasy Star Online, Soul Reaver.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Soul Calibur

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Can't leave out Chu Chu Rockets and at least one Power Stone.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I wonder why this generation has lacked so many Sega ports compared to other companies? I'd easily rebuy Crazy Taxi, Beach Spikers or Sonic CD on the Switch. Feels like they are wasting some of their library.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Leaving Powerstone off a Dreamcast mini would be a crime against humanity.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Powerstone is an amazing game that I am sad just fell off the face of the earth.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Mang what I really want is a 486 mini and a Win95 mini.
    Especially the latter, to play Mechwarrior 3 and Crimson Skies and so many other Voodoo age games.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Sonic Adventure 1 + 2
    Ecco the Tides of Time
    Crazy Taxi
    Skies of Arcadia
    Code Veronica
    Rayman 2
    Marvel vs Capcom 2

Ironically it'd cost more than the Dreamcast did a month after it was released. :P

The Dreamcast was pretty hard to find for the first 3-4 months and didn't really see major drops in price until right around the PS2 launch.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    Mildly related to minis maybe, but I ordered a Pandora's Box 6 (family version) from Aliexpress last week.

I've been poking around at the idea for a while now getting one. I want to build a 2 player arcade panel and set it up inside that. I've heard good to mixed things about them as well, so here's hoping most of what I'd like it to do runs well on it.

Anyone else happen to have experience with these things?

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Can't leave out Chu Chu Rockets and at least one Power Stone.

It's a real shame that Power Stone 2 never got re-released on a platform that could do it justice (seriously, the PSP?).

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »
    Mildly related to minis maybe, but I ordered a Pandora's Box 6 (family version) from Aliexpress last week.

I've been poking around at the idea for a while now getting one. I want to build a 2 player arcade panel and set it up inside that. I've heard good to mixed things about them as well, so here's hoping most of what I'd like it to do runs well on it.

Anyone else happen to have experience with these things?

I hope it works out and post and update here on it, but my initial google on it makes it seem shady. What's the difference between that and a Pi besides coming with games and from china?

• Options
    You can now play Half-Life 1 on your NES/SNES Classic. It looks like you just have to supply your own Half-Life 1 files from the Steam version. I'm not particularly interested in playing Half-Life 1 on my system, but it's cool that they got it out there.