As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »
    I guess Hori is manufacturing the official accessories?

TG-16 controller: $24.99
    TG-16 multitap: $29.99
    TG-16 AC adapter: $19.99 (yeeeaaaahh, just use any ol' adapter lying around the house instead).

Wtf is up with the price of that ac adapter ?

If they shaped it like Air Zonk and had a wire going into one hand and his other hand going into the socket, I would gladly pay that.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I ended up not preordering the TG-16 mini. I can't really justify the cost at the moment. We'll see where I am on that front in 8 months though. I hope the UI is good! That's one thing I like about the Genesis/MD mini; they appear to have made a cool UI, which I think is a very important part of these mini consoles.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I just picked up the PlayStation mini (for $20) to play around with. I have to say if they had put US roms on it and had it run full speed, it's a neat little system. The build quality feels nice and it was cool putting some time into Rayman.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I ended up not preordering the TG-16 mini. I can't really justify the cost at the moment. We'll see where I am on that front in 8 months though. I hope the UI is good! That's one thing I like about the Genesis/MD mini; they appear to have made a cool UI, which I think is a very important part of these mini consoles.

That's one thing about the TG16/PCE being only on Amazon - at least they don't charge you until it ships, so right now there's no cost to justify.

Agreed on the UI - the SNES one was good too.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

That's one thing about the TG16/PCE being only on Amazon - at least they don't charge you until it ships, so right now there's no cost to justify.

Oh, thanks-- I was just about to ask about how pre-orders on Amazon work.

Don't suppose there's a way to make payments in the in-between time, eh?

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Oh, thanks-- I was just about to ask about how pre-orders on Amazon work.

Don't suppose there's a way to make payments in the in-between time, eh?

Not that I know of. That'd be handy.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    You can apply gift cards to the price of something. Add a gift card to your account, change your payment method, and opt to use your account balance.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    You can apply gift cards to the price of something. Add a gift card to your account, change your payment method, and opt to use your account balance.

Sounds good, but can you do that repeatedly?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Sounds good, but can you do that repeatedly?

I've done this a few times with Amazon preorders. Canadian Amazon too, which if I remember, you are. :) Preordered via credit card, which isn't charged regardless. Then just bought gift cards here and there, topping up and then switching the payment method to Amazon wallet. Even if there isn't enough in the balance, it just takes the remaining amount off your credit card.

I've even done this with Best Buy online. Same sort of deal, but there's no "Best Buy wallet". Instead you're buying gift cards and applying them directly to the preorder. Did it with a game where I had 3 separate $25 cards being applied.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Awesome, I'll try that out, though I don't think Amazon Canada is carrying it (unless that's changed).

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Does this count for this thread? Because I don't know where to put this otherwise:

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Does this count for this thread? Because I don't know where to put this otherwise:

I'm no expert, but I'd say that fits here fine. And wow, is that literally just the old N64 cartridge? I'm assuming you need an N64 machine to run it.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I'm no expert, but I'd say that fits here fine. And wow, is that literally just the old N64 cartridge? I'm assuming you need an N64 machine to run it.

Well, a re-printed one, and it's region free!

There's also a CE if you swipe right on Instagram, which I don't think comes with a blister-pack version?

Edit: scratch that, here's the CE:

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Apparently doing re-releases of old carts is very much a thing now.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah I remember they did a limited run on some SF2 carts a few years ago and I really wanted one, I'm sure they're going for a lot more now

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    "Blister pack"?

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    "Blister pack"?

That's why that style of packaging is called, where the backing is a piece of cardboard with the toy encased in a plastic "blister"

• Options
    "Blister pack"?

That's why that style of packaging is called, where the backing is a piece of cardboard with the toy encased in a plastic "blister"

I always wanted to believe it was because you could get a proper blister trying to open it with your bare hands.

• Options
    edited July 2019

I mean, I'm not going to get up in arms or anything, but isn't that just a reprint of a game cartridge? Still needs the original hardware and all?

I'd think the "Buying retro console hardware/software" thread seems more appropriate (the one we're in now is just for mini consoles and the like with built-in games, ie plug 'n plays), but I'm not going to assemble the Avengers over it or anything.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    It's more of a collectors item. Maybe even the toys thread would be a better fit. The reproduction carts usually carry the asterisk not to use them in actual consoles as they may damage them (but not really sure how common that is).

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Didn't there used to be a retro thread ran by the sonic retard or something like that?

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    Didn't there used to be a retro thread ran by the sonic retard or something like that?

May his account rest in peace.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I remember him being pretty active. Did he just stop posting one day?

• Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Didn't he get banned for liking Sega too much?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular

I mean yeah kinda.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Uhhhh, story time?

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    "Blister pack"?

and that package is a Replica of the 90s era SW Action figures, and specifically the style they used for the SotE figures.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

It was Steam Machines, believe it or not.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Shadows of the Empire was such an interesting concept, marketing-wise. There was even a soundtrack that I guess you could play as you read the book. Ahead of its time from that standpoint.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Shadows of the Empire was such an interesting concept, marketing-wise. There was even a soundtrack that I guess you could play as you read the book. Ahead of its time from that standpoint.

In the gaming sphere, Star Wars never really "went away". There was always a game here and there keeping the IP in the spotlight, just that back then gaming's spotlight was more like a desk lamp. The X-Wing/Tie Fighter games, the SNES games, Dark Forces/Jedi Knight, that quicktime event game with FMV whose name escapes me, ect. Shadows of the Empire though kinda sorta felt like the first real attempt to light the flame back up in the rest of the world. It was also I think right around the time when the Special Edition's were getting a release, so that most likely had an effect.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    There was definitely a lull in SW RotJ in 1983. There would be a few games that kept the IP afloat, but for me, it was the Thrawn trilogy books and Dark Empire comics that brought SW back. That led into N64 games (Shadow and Rogue Squadron) and the rereleases and prequels.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Man, I wish I could play those Star Wars games again on a modern console. I was pretty bummed when I realized those Limited Run releases were just re-prints. But they don’t do ports, I should have known.

I played a crap ton of those X-Wing games back in the day. I got damn good at em. They wouldn’t work on modern consoles due to the controls but it won’t stop me from dreaming of a revival. Not as long as EA has their tentacles in the franchise, I’m afraid.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    I tried to play Shadows of the Empire (the GOG version) a few years ago and just couldn't do it -- it's from that era where games were just obtuse and difficult for no particularly good reason. (IIRC, I finally threw in the towel because there was a bit where I just could not run along a pipe and kept falling off.)

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    SOE isn’t a good game. The flying stuff was ok. Everything else was garbage. It was impressive at the time because whoa 3D!

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    So, here's a weird thing.
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    SEGA Europe is teasing Jet Set Radio...for the Genesis Mini(??????????????)
    vfBxeaF.jpg
    IjIC2D4.jpg

3 options:
    1. Big mistake. But why would there have been something like this in the first place? Why would the marketing team even think to mention JSR?
    2. The GBA version is on the Mini. But, they've already announced all 42 games, so is this a hidden bonus game?
    3. The original JSR is on the system. But that makes 0 sense since this uses a Genesis controller
    4. New JSR demake?(??????) There's already a new game on the Genesis Mini, a Genesis port of Darius.

• Options
    Huh. Weird.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    SOE isn’t a good game. The flying stuff was ok. Everything else was garbage. It was impressive at the time because whoa 3D!
    Yeah, I wanted to love SoE, but the third person platform/shooting hybrid levels -- which were the majority of the game -- were more frustrating than fun.

• Options
    edited July 2019

They should do the "new Star Wars movie with everything except an actual movie" thing more often.
    "Blister pack"?

and that package is a Replica of the 90s era SW Action figures, and specifically the style they used for the SotE figures.

Yup! Here's my POTF2 Dash Rendar figure for comparison:
    FLAqIxyr.jpg

In related news, they went up for pre-order today and sold out almost instantly. I did manage to get both sets though, so I'm a happy camper. I'm a huge Star Wars and SotE fan in particular so this was a no brainer for me.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options

I mean, I'm not going to get up in arms or anything, but isn't that just a reprint of a game cartridge? Still needs the original hardware and all?

I'd think the "Buying retro console hardware/software" thread seems more appropriate (the one we're in now is just for mini consoles and the like with built-in games, ie plug 'n plays), but I'm not going to assemble the Avengers over it or anything.

Oo yeah. I uh.. I don't know how I didn't see that.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    I just picked up the PlayStation mini (for $20) to play around with. I have to say if they had put US roms on it and had it run full speed, it's a neat little system. The build quality feels nice and it was cool putting some time into Rayman.
    I just picked one up to however I'm not home all week to test this yet

But apparently it'll recognize a fair number of USB keyboards. You can literally hit escape, open a menu, change it from PAL to USA and those games will run full speed. There's some YouTube videos showing people do it.