As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Actually, the second revision of the Genesis Flashback HD is also pretty good. You have to flash it's firmware to the latest version though.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Only having one of the two Shining Force games and only one of the three Genesis Phantasy Star games is real fuckin' weird to me.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Blimey, that was some drama. Cheers for that excellent and concise summary, @SteevL !

And for that video, yeah, some stone cold classics in there, some I already had in mind and more that had slipped said mind! And even some I didn't know! That'll be good to refer back to in a few weeks' time.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    august wrote: »
    Only having one of the two Shining Force games and only one of the three Genesis Phantasy Star games is real fuckin' weird to me.

Sega clearly tried to avoid going down the route of multiple entries in a series, with few exceptions (looking at you, Sonic). But as the guy said in the video at the bottom of last page, there's some very obvious candidates for addition in those franchises.

And if it gets to playing Master System games easily, there's the first Phantasy Star as well.

Jazz on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Hey I started following SNES Drunk last year too.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Looking forward to getting off work and playing Genesis. It just occurred to me though - the cords are probably short like with the Nintendo minis, right? Might need to order an extension.....

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm interested to see how the emulation compares to something like RetroPi

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    This one guy in our Discord channel who has done work on PSC hacking (I think) has impressions of the Genesis Mini's emulation:
    nl64z716i6x2.png

I was kind of expecting M2 to knock the emulation out of the park, here.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Most of the pre-release reviews suggested that they did. Certainly those weren't problems that ever seemed to come up. (At least outside of where things like that used to happen on original hardware; I mean, I'd expect things like slowdown occasionally, which we've discussed before across various systems and games, especially in busy shmups (Treasure in particular have used it strategically for dynamic effect)).

Curious now to see if that's excessive nitpicking, or if reviews have glossed over actual issues that should have been brought up.

Jazz on
  • Options
    So far, I think the SNES Classic has had the "best" native emulator of all the systems that have been released. But it's also a very nitpicky emulator. Most games one adds to the system run fine, but a lot of them require patches (or preset IDs) to work properly. And there have been cases where it turns out these changes aren't universal fixes. There is a patch for Tactics Ogre, for example, that seemed to make it work fine. And then 30 hours in you get to a battle where the game locks up when an enemy casts a certain spell. A similar issue was recently discovered in one of the Super Famicom Kunio-kun games. Hell, it doesn't even run Yoshi's Island perfectly, and that's one of the default games on the system! There's an improved version of this same emulator with the Switch's new SNES stuff that apparently fixes the Yoshi's Island graphical glitch.

• Options
    Bah. What is the Yoshi's Island problem?

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »

It's very minor. I guess the "touch fuzzy get dizzy" effect doesn't display properly? Specifically for the exact moment you get hit. I don't know, I didn't really play the original game and I've barely played it on my SNES Classic.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

The surprising thing is that for Digital Foundry's appraisal, they have--with caveats--but their emulation was still overall truer than on the SNES Mini? :confused:

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »

The surprising thing is that for Digital Foundry's appraisal, they have--with caveats--but their emulation was still overall truer than on the SNES Mini? :confused:

Well, the chat text I posted is just one guy's opinion.

• Options
    The latest from the people digging into the Genesis Mini is that Sega/M2 might have accidentally underclocked the SoC.
    aohizpu2fkmy.png
    8jam35806pa7.png
    tksv86coglqc.png

They think they can fix that with a hack.

• Options
    I'm starting to wonder if this thing might even get an official firmware update, like the C64 Mini did so it's not unprecedented. Unlikely, but still.

• Options
    I'm certainly no a CPU expert, much less a system-on-a-chip expert, but I couldn't rule out that they underclocked the chip simply to give more leeway as to what can power the device over USB power. I've had a mildly interesting time determining what "powered" USB port-equipped-devices can power the SNES Mini, and which ones can't. In that case, it wouldn't be an accident--especially since there hasn't been any indication any titles that come with the Sega MD Mini are running "underpowered".

On the other hand, if you're hacking the device, yeah, change the clocks.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    The only testing I've done is that my TV (Samsung), and my mum's TV (Toshiba), can both power the SNES Classic from their USB ports; but neither can power an Amazon Fire TV Stick, that needs to use its own power brick.

Mind you, I've not fiddled with turning up the clock speed on my SNES, or put any other emulators on it that would benefit from that.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'm certainly no a CPU expert, much less a system-on-a-chip expert, but I couldn't rule out that they underclocked the chip simply to give more leeway as to what can power the device over USB power. I've had a mildly interesting time determining what "powered" USB port-equipped-devices can power the SNES Mini, and which ones can't. In that case, it wouldn't be an accident--especially since there hasn't been any indication any titles that come with the Sega MD Mini are running "underpowered".

On the other hand, if you're hacking the device, yeah, change the clocks.

Yeah, possibly. I know that the SNES Classic is very touchy about power, especially if you're running it with the custom kernel. There's a nonzero chance the SNES Classic won't work when plugged into a TV's USB port for power. Or if you've got the system powered via the AC adapter, but plugged into an unpowered HDMI hub. I personally had an issue with using a USB extension with an OTG hub on the system where it would randomly shut off or give me a black screen until I finally ditched the extension and learned to live with a 14-inch power cord.

• Options
    An unhacked SNES Mini--that's not pushing its tiny hardware in the name of Playstation or Neo Geo emulation or more--still has some power demands. Or maybe I just have a lot of USB ports in my home I can test with (and did). Hacking (which is why I bought the thing in the first place) just emphasizes that further. Before going to town with Hakchi, my SNES Mini wouldn't turn on when plugged into the USB port on an old LG bedroom television I owned--probably because it was old (even if it still had an HDMI-driven 720p panel).

There's no reason why Sega wouldn't underclock their particular flavor of SoC if it would reduce power demands and it still met the demands of emulation. Which it appears to, as far as I can tell. Whether that underclocking actually yielded an appreciated result is harder to say. I hadn't even thought about HDMI and other "unorthodox" power solutions some people might rely on. Plus, what if you're using the device to power a video splitter?

If you want to experience the other end of this scenario, try using a RetroPie (i.e. a mid-generation Raspberry Pi with RetroArch, etc., installed) with anything but a high-power USB outlet adapter and a Micro-USB cable. Or with it and an HDMI splitter. Get ready to spend more time staring at surprisingly useless power inadequacy BIOS messages than any actual software, as @Betsuni and I noted.

• Options
    I wonder if the Genesis mini has epilepsy fixes. Nintendo had to do that.

• Options
    It seems weird that no-one here has yet hooked it up and played on it.

Either that or they have and they're having too much fun with it to maek poast.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

Knowing M.2 they'd probably hack any individual offending ROMs rather than come up with an emulator-level solution like Nintendo.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    It seems weird that no-one here has yet hooked it up and played on it.

Either that or they have and they're having too much fun with it to maek poast.

The latter. Got mine last night. Experienced the double-tap thing, but only on the menu, and the sound delay is there, though I don't think I'd have noticed had no one said anything prior.

Decided on Altered Beast as the first game I'd play, as it only seemed fitting. Went on to Sonic, Sonic 2, Mega Man, Castlevania, and Tetris. Good fun, though I had a really rough time with the tops at the end of Top Man's stage.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Supposedly people have gotten the Sega Genesis Mini's kernel to run on the SNES Classic now, so that's wild. Sounds like it was done by the original creator of hakchi.

• Options
    edited September 2019

Knowing M.2 they'd probably hack any individual offending ROMs rather than come up with an emulator-level solution like Nintendo.

I kind of wish you could switch the epilepsy stuff off. I like the old flashes.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I tried my nes carts from Ebay in my AVS console and they are not working. I got Wizards and Warriors 2 to come up, but it hung on the title screen.

Edit: I got it to work. I guess it needed to be broken in. You really have to push the cart in there. I got TMNT Arcade to work and then tried the other carts that did not work again and they worked.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I tried my nes carts from Ebay in my AVS console and they are not working. I got Wizards and Warriors 2 to come up, but it hung on the title screen.

Edit: I got it to work. I guess it needed to be broken in. You really have to push the cart in there. I got TMNT Arcade to work and then tried the other carts that did not work again and they worked.

I’m assuming you cleaned the boards with rubbing alcohol first?

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options

I’m assuming you cleaned the boards with rubbing alcohol first?

I cleaned the Popeye cart. It was grungy. The other ones seemed pretty clean. I wonder it there was something on the pins in the cartridge slot from manufacturing. I had a couple carts that I had to take out and put back in and they worked.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    It was probably spinach residue.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

I kind of wish you could switch the epilepsy stuff off. I like the old flashes.

There's some discussion about how to do that with a hacked console here: https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/blpebs/how_to_remove_the_epilepsy_protection/

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    More precisely, a background layer disappears during the initial half-second Fuzzy impact.

https://youtu.be/rRHQvPmHL-8?t=80

Skip to 1:20 to see it.

As SteevL said, very minor.

forty on
  • Options
    The Wizards and Warrior games have these serious covers, but they are silly games.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    The Wizards and Warrior games have these serious covers, but they are silly games.

Fabio is on Ironsword, making it instantly silly.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

Fabio is on Ironsword, making it instantly silly.

Your avatar works perfectly with your response. :D

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    You can tell they are made by Rare.

• Options
    The Wizards and Warriors 1 game I got off of Ebay had a corrupted screen when I first tried it on the AVS. I will have to try it again.

• Options
    It must be getting late, I thought I put silly gooses instead of silly games.

• Options
    This is older news from last week, but apparently that slick Genesis Mini UI is comprised of only two large images on the system itself, thus making it a little more difficult for people to add custom art whenever they get around to doing that.

qwi5tetjaa9k.png

• Options
    Heh.They did it old school and crammed the images into bitmaps.