As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I don't think I really have the room for even a 1up cabinet, much as I'd like one. Wish there was like a countertop version of these.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    There is! I saw them at target the other day.

jg1ii9d00m9b.jpg

If you google "Countercade" you should find them - that's what theyre calling this line.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Those things are tempting, but even at tabletop/countertop size, I still have no room!

Having said which, I'm still very tempted by the Tempest cabinet, not least because that's one where there's no good alternate controller options that I'm aware of -- it needs that free-spinning knob.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Could you beat Dig Dug?

A Bump n' Jump mini cabinet would be neat.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I saw a guy play the TMNT arcade cabinet at Walmart and he felt awkward and ran away.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I think I'd probably go for one of the ones with the nonstandard controls, so as to feel like it's more worth it to buy the hardware. I'm probably most likely to get the Centipede one with the trackball, it's also nice because it comes with 4 games.

I was thinking recently, something that would be cool is if they made a somewhat more modular system, so you buy the cabinet/monitor, and then you can swap out the controls, essentially, which would come with the games in them. So you could get the trackball one with those games on it, have different ones for single/double/quadruple joysticks, and then ones with the wheels/flight controls like for Star wars, or like the paperboy handlebars and all that. I figure even with the size of the controls, they still have to be easier to store than separate cabinets.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    There’s something special about an arcade cabinet with the original art and marquee. That would be lost with some kind of modular system. Owning the 1up Arcade cabinets is about more than just playing the games. I’ve had access to all of those for a long time. It’s because I’m a collector.... I could collect movies and games digitally but I like having them displayed on my big book shelves.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'd have to make my own because Nintendo doesn't have Popeye rights afaik.

The price points would be high but I would also be tempted by one with a true vector display and Tempest or a light gun with Operation Wolf, Terminator or Revolution X.

The MK one is the current most tempting. Both the wife and I love MKII.

• Options
    I bought a cib copy of Sonic 3. Since they keep having rights problems with getting it into compilations, it might be worth something some day.

• Options
    Popeye would be a cabinet I would have to buy.

I did get the NES version recently.

• Options
    I thought Temple of Doom would be good, but it really doesn't hold up anymore.
    I forgot how old the game actually was.

• Options
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Interesting game. Never knew that existed.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    I don't know if there was an actual english version or if it is a hack.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I don't know if there was an actual english version or if it is a hack.

Yeah, it's a fan translation. I've discovered all sorts of interesting JP games with fan translations in the last 18 months or so.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Wow, Technos made a SNES (yeah, yeah, I know SFC technically) Popeye??

Edit: I don't know if it's just that recording, but does that game have kind of a crappy framerate or what?

forty on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    By the way, my dream Arcade1Up cabinets are:

--Tetris, Bust A Move and Puyo Puyo

or

-- Donkey Kong, Vs. Super Mario Bros, and Dr. Mario

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    A Punch Out arcade cabinet would be amazing.

Krathoon on
  • Options

Even better if they let you turn off the voices.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Even better if they let you turn off the voices.

What?! How does...

"Left! Left! Left! Body Blow! KNOCK HIM OUT!"

...ever get old. :biggrin:

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I would also be very tempted by a classic WWF arcade game.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I imagine the best cabinet to get nowadays is one that has the best joystick and button layout. I briefly looked into what it takes to mod some of these things. And long story short... I guess you can't. About the only worth to buying one for that purpose is for the shape of the box and the monitor. You're otherwise replacing the entire internals with a Raspberry Pi, and possibly the sticks/buttons for better quality ones, including drilling more holes for buttons if you want a more neutral 6 button layout.

Which probably makes that Atgames one posted a bit back the best one yet. 6 button layout, trackball, even the little dial for games like Arkanoid.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    There is! I saw them at target the other day.

jg1ii9d00m9b.jpg

If you google "Countercade" you should find them - that's what theyre calling this line.

Oh, cool!

Ah, but no TMNT or Marvel. Those are what I need.
    I imagine the best cabinet to get nowadays is one that has the best joystick and button layout. I briefly looked into what it takes to mod some of these things. And long story short... I guess you can't. About the only worth to buying one for that purpose is for the shape of the box and the monitor. You're otherwise replacing the entire internals with a Raspberry Pi, and possibly the sticks/buttons for better quality ones, including drilling more holes for buttons if you want a more neutral 6 button layout.

Which probably makes that Atgames one posted a bit back the best one yet. 6 button layout, trackball, even the little dial for games like Arkanoid.

AtGames just does not have my trust right now.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So someone already hacked the neo-geo arcade stick to add roms, even before the system's U.S. release. You can find various youtubers showing it off.

What's interesting? is that it plays various other systems including CPS1/2/3, GB/C/A, SNES, Mega Drive, all using the same interface and display options. It doesn't look like the hack actually added emulators for these systems and its certainly not using Retroarch. Makes you wonder where SNK is getting their emulation from, or if they are developing the same software to sell on less scrupulous Chinese market retro consoles. (Which could explain why the UI is basically a Switch clone.)

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Apparently the Genesis mini is going to be $50 for black friday at many big retailers. Already going the direction of the PS1 classic? All those AT games systems sure aren't helping it.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I'm taking a day off of work today, and in the grand tradition, I have The Price is Right on. One of the final two big showcases to bid on had two Arcade 1Up Machines (on the risers) in it! It looked like Golden Tee and Pac-Man.

• Options
    Walmart has the Final Fight Arcade 1up cabinet for $150. I couldn’t help myself.

I think I have an addiction.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I see the Genesis Mini for 50 already at Best Buy

• Options
    I did get a Japanese Genesis Mini a while back.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Apparently the Genesis mini is going to be $50 for black friday at many big retailers. Already going the direction of the PS1 classic? All those AT games systems sure aren't helping it.

Think it's time to call it -- the era of the minis is pretty much over.

Then again we're already in the era of maxis (the build-your-own arcade stuff).

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Pretty sure a Gameboy classic would still sell. But Nintendo probably isn't going to be interested for a good while.

• Options
    A high res N64 mini or a Dreamcast mini would be good.

• Options
    They still sell new VMUs.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

I'll take those and a Saturn Mini.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I'll take those and a Saturn Mini.

If they made a Saturn mini that also included the 4MB RAM cart Capcom games, I’d snap it up in an instant. Of course, licensing and import text would kill any chance of it happening.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    A Mini Saturn would sure be interesting. Most of these mini consoles sell on the strength of their nostalgia. "I remember that! I wanna play those again!". I don't think the Saturn has a shred of that. If people go nuts for one, it would most likely be because of sheer curiosity. "I remember that! That thing I never touched because I got a Playstation like the rest of the world. I kinda wanna play those games.".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    N64 and Dreamcast have the same problem. Less popular consoles + more CPU power/complex software to emulate = not happening anytime soon. I really think Gameboy is the only thing left with the same level of mass market appeal as NES/SNES, although it would probably be hard for Nintendo to get the same kind of profit margins if they had to include a decent screen and battery and still keep it under $100.

• Options
    The controllers alone make minis of that console generation even more unlikely.