As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pathfinder: Kingmaker- Wrath of the Righteous out now!

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I am going to assume it doesn't exist, because I never saw it, but can you tweak the AI? I know you can click auto cast of some things on and off, but there's no general AI tweaking of the characters right?

Nosf on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I mostly ran:

Valerie
    Amari
    Linzi
    Tristian
    Jubilost
    PC (Elven Arcane Warrior)

I never found Linzi a good enough healer on her own, and didn't care for Harrim. You can swap around most of them, but Val and Linzi tend to be the staples.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Nosf wrote: »
    Valerie takes a little work but she really shines as a front line fighter. A few levels of mobility gives her some dodge, and you can just have her fight defensively all the time. Cranking up team feats like outflank if you have another melee with it also helps. I've heard that her high CHA works well for Dazzling Display too.

For my restart (and god help me, I might restart AGAIN) I just gave myself a pile of gold and made all my own characters just so I could make what I wanted.

That is true, her CON is high enough that if you just need someone to take the hits, she can be that someone, and might as well intimidate/Dazzling Display anyone in range in the meanwhile. If you want her to actually hit anything though, she's kinda overshadowed by a buffed-up Amiri, or Regongar once he can don the heavy armor.
    Massena wrote: »
    I found Valerie to be useful. Mostly because you need at least 2 things to go get hit and she's really well designed for getting hit. All the high damage from Ekundayo or Nok-Nok doesn't help with the rushes. I typically rolled with:
    Valerie (take point and get aggro),
    Harrim (off tank/healer),
    Linzi (haste, off healer, song buffs, ranged damage)
    Ekundayo (pet is an off tank, plus great box damage)
    Nok-Nok (previously mentioned ability to kill everything, plus thief skills)
    PC sorcerer for that crowd control and badguy go boom.

I would happily swap in Octavia or Amiri, especially before you get Nok-Nok or Ekun. But I never found much use for Tristian. Harrim and Linzi both bring heals plus buffs and one can tank better. And Regongar's class seems like a better PC class. Just doesn't seem to justify a slot someone else has for the damage it puts out (and, frankly, the attention it needs to function at peak). Jaethal is interesting but, mechanically, I have NO use for a healer who needs different types of healing spells than the rest of the party. Maybe I'm using her wrong. Never really used her much outside of her specific quests.

Jubilost is pretty good, but I don't think I ever really dug into how alchemists work and never felt like there was a whole in my main group that needed filling.

IIRC Inquisitors are generally offensive characters. Jaethal's best strategy is to combine spells and judgments to buff herself to kingdom come and then start murdering things with touch attacks and her scythe (which has a 4x crit multiplier, so picking up Improved Critical for it should be seriously considered.) Is she Nok-Nok deadly? No, but she can support the party via spellcasting (if not necessarily as a healer), plus her free teamwork feats make her an easy foil for other characters that also use them. If the Undead part about her gets in the way...
    Two of the possible outcomes to her companion quests will make her mortal again, though one will also remove her from your party till the endgame (this same outcome, however, also gives all the Cure spells you almost certainly didn't take for her too.)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Finished the stag lord quest with like a week to go , was getting real nervous.

• Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    I should try to go back to this sometime, and restart it and try to actually figure out combat. Though, I might wait until when the console version releases as they're going to patch in turn-based mode so I won't need to run the mod anymore(since I'm on a Mac and worry that the mod manager is going to kill things).

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

the first two chapters are generally the ones most people cut close

after that you are strong enough to start taking on major expeditions to just clear whole areas out in a single go

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Best way to make sure you don’t run out of time is:
    Main quests>companion quests>artisan quests>side quests

This lets you complete the time sensitive stuff early in terms of importance, then spend the rest of each chapter wrapping stuff up.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    also, do not ignore companion quests even though they don't give a specific timeframe for some stupid goddamn reason

do them asap, because many of them have a hidden timer

• Options
    Whoever designed this troll boss can fuck himself with a flaming chainsaw.

• Options

probably the first time where I just died and died

buff your party with as many scrolls and pots as you can and try and alpha strike him

if you keep his buddy alive, you can benefit from that, but if you kill him first the fight gets way easier

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

If you have a dispel magic, use it on him to remove Haste. That makes him much less dangerous.

• Options
    And it’s dead and the barony is still stable . Time to start putting people on those long term projects while I continue to do side quests and explore. I’m guessing there will be some huge event when the next chapter approaches ? Or do I get to just hang out doing everything until I do something to trigger the next story event?

• Options
    You will absolutely know when the next chapter is starting

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The game essentially runs on a giant clock. The date of the finale is set. Managing your Kingdom is about speinding your time.

The quicker you can erase problems, the better your Kingdom will do economically and the more time you have for other endeavors.

The curse research is pretty low impact and very time intensive, though it does raise the 2 Magic Stats. Here's why, can't say without spoiling some ending structure (no plot details)
    There is a "True/Secret" Ending that is just about impossible to achieve without following a guide. It needs actions in each Chapter. Researching all but 2 or 3 of the Curses is one of the many requirements

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    So i started this ! It’s going kinda slow while I try to get my head around stuff. First run through will use other people builds as that’s typically the hardest thing to do when you don’t understand the game . Also fuck that bear it took forever and also fuck the slaver random encounter , I just reload when that one pops up .

Edit- also how are the story companions ? Usable , bad ?

Ekundayo is legit OP. He has crazy good stats (he's built with more than a 25pt stat buy, I'm pretty sure), you get a God-tier bow for him fairly early, and his pet is a really good offtank. He's also great for Athletic, Mobility, and Nature Lore skill checks.

Jubilost is also super strong. PF:KM lets alchemists take the "Extra Bombs" feat more than once, so if you build him right, he'll be an AoE artillery piece with no danger of friendly fire. Pretty good for skills, too.

Amiri is a melee DPS beast. Good for Athletics checks, too.

Linzi is outstanding for Perception and Trickery checks, and Bard buffs are pretty strong.

Tristian is a really good channeling healer. He's good for a few essential buffs, but he really shines at healing channeling.

Octavia is a bit useless early, but if you build her an Arcane Trickster, she turns into a Ray-casting Gatling gun with lots of skills in the mid-game.

Valerie is a mediocre tank. As others mentioned, her stats are weird. Also, armored tanks in Pathfinder aren't as good as armorless.

Jaethal is pretty decent melee DPS, especially if you give her a second-row weapon like a fauchard or glaive so she doesn't take much damage. Her biggest problem is coexisting in a party with Tristian spamming channelled heals.

The Teiflings are OK. Their blast attacks can do a lot of damage, but they tend to miss a lot.

Harrim is kind of good at casting some offensive Necromancy spells.

I've never really gotten the hang of Regongar.

My MC is a goofball armorless tank build that does middling damage, but has really high AC (especially Touch AC, which is hard to do with Valerie) and very high Protagonist skills (Persuasion, Perception, Lore). Thus, my usual party is Amiri, Ekun, Linzi, Jubi, and Tristian, with my MC as the main tank and Ekun's pet as offtank.

• Options
    Missed the alchemist because I didn’t get him before I did the main quest. Guess I was just supposed to know he was there.

• Options
    htm wrote: »
    Valerie is a mediocre tank. As others mentioned, her stats are weird. Also, armored tanks in Pathfinder aren't as good as armorless.

Valeries points in Charsima work if you take a level in Rogue for Thug and build her around Dazzling Display.

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular

It's been a awhile, but I think this guy chewed my entire team except for either my MC or Ekundayo, who exploded him with a crit at the last possible moment

• Options
    So I saw the nymph betrayal coming from a mile away but I couldn’t actually fight her and had to escape , do you get good stuff for fighting her ? Might be something to think of next run.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    If you're referring to all the monsters, then all you get is XP. Not really worth it. I don't recall having the option to fight her directly after her betrayal but I can almost guarantee it would be unwinnable.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I turned Jaethal into a Vivisectionist and she turned out OK.

Tbh I don't really think you miss much by using custom characters in place of the story party members in this game. If you're willing to play around with mods you can also just respec them as required.

I'm of the opinions RPGs should let you respec freely though.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    I’ve only had nok nok for a few minutes but if anything where to happen to him I would kill everyone in this thread and then myself . No but seriously, he doesn’t kill he banishes their soul from this plane of existence.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I’ve only had nok nok for a few minutes but if anything where to happen to him I would kill everyone in this thread and then myself . No but seriously, he doesn’t kill he banishes their soul from this plane of existence.
    All this talk of playable furries but where our goblins at?!

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    There's a playable goblins mod.

• Options
    So I’m guessing she stole from someone you don’t fucking steal from hmmm. That’s rough. Enjoying the campaign so far. Some things kinda drive me up a wall but I’m guessing that’s the point of them.

• Options
    Just a reminder to always have Communal Delay Poison up. Especially early game, it's a lifesaver. And don't forget to drop a Stinking Cloud on top of the group in tough fights, since you'll be immune to the effects with Delay Poison up.

• Options
    Also get Communal Resist Energy ASAP.

• Options
    OrestusOrestus Registered User regular
    I've been playing through this the last few weeks - this game is way longer/bigger than I had expected. I'm using the turn-based mod and a mod which adds in a bunch of additional classes (Slayer, hunter, summoner, etc) and am really enjoying it.

Definitely second the note above, don't be afraid to just make your own characters. You don't really miss any story because you still get all the companions, they hang out at your castle and are your advisors, etc, so you can still do all their sidequests (which you should as towards the end they are lots of xp). I've been playing through w/ my main character as a Sorceror + Valerie, Amiri, Linzi and then a custom character Warpriest and a custom character druid....I didn't like any of the heal-focused NPCs and there was no option for an NPC druid.

• Options
    I’m guessing this crag lind something is an optional encounter meant for later one . Could probably do it if he wasn’t fire immune.

• Options
    Orestus wrote: »
    I've been playing through this the last few weeks - this game is way longer/bigger than I had expected. I'm using the turn-based mod and a mod which adds in a bunch of additional classes (Slayer, hunter, summoner, etc) and am really enjoying it.

Definitely second the note above, don't be afraid to just make your own characters. You don't really miss any story because you still get all the companions, they hang out at your castle and are your advisors, etc, so you can still do all their sidequests (which you should as towards the end they are lots of xp). I've been playing through w/ my main character as a Sorceror + Valerie, Amiri, Linzi and then a custom character Warpriest and a custom character druid....I didn't like any of the heal-focused NPCs and there was no option for an NPC druid.

Certain fights feel really long when using the turn-based fights, especially the random road encounters where you're fighting like 6 goblins or w/e that your party immediately smacks down. I would recommend learning the hotkey to turn it off so that you can accelerate trash mob fights. You might take some damage, but it's worth saving your time.

Also if you give anyone an animal companion, Smilodon's are really powerful, especially when using the turn-based mod. At lower levels a full attack is 2 strikes, but they get 4 attacks per round pretty often.

• Options
    Sorry I'm basically double posting now, but I'm just remembering stuff as I go.

Other things you want to do is give people the Dazzing Display -> Shatter Defenses feats. Using Dazzling Display and having the enemies fail the resulting Intimidate Check means all the enemies will be considered flat-footed, which means that they'll be a lot easier to hit.

You also want to eventually take Blind Fight, as you'll reeally need it in the end-game.

• Options
    Chapter 3 done ! Ended up with a lot of free time so I pretty much cleared everything in my quest log and devoted a bunch to building up my Barony . Even visited the other barony I was on good terms with , but seeing as how they are the subject of the next chapter not having super high hopes of them making it . Wonder if I will absorb their territory. So I have a bunch of stuff I could have done better so far in mind for my second playthrough . Also I think my party’s offensive power has spiked , things are dying extremely fast , will enjoy it until I hit every crpgs tradition . A final dungeon where everything destroys you and is immune to everything.

• Options
    OrestusOrestus Registered User regular
    My druid generally rolls around in Smilodon form and it really is godly; she has a scimitar I found somewhere that lets you add 1d6 acid and 1d6 lightning dmg to each swing even in cat form (and she has 5 swings) plus calls a lightning bolt on crit + pounce feat which lets you do all attacks on charge, which is a sleeper OP talent imo. I went w/ wolf for companion but man, had I gone w/ a smilodon companion as well as smilodon form I'm not sure the rest of my party would ever do anything.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    FYI you won’t need the turn based mod soon. Owlcat are patching in the hot-swappable turn based mode from WotR and Gamepad support when the console versions launch.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    FYI you won’t need the turn based mod soon. Owlcat are patching in the hot-swappable turn based mode from WotR and Gamepad support when the console versions launch.

If it makes it feel a bit more like tabletop Pathfinder, it ought to make it easier to play, especially if they give us spell range templates and stuff.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

If it makes it feel a bit more like tabletop Pathfinder, it ought to make it easier to play, especially if they give us spell range templates and stuff.

If they also patch that in I don’t see why they’d keep it exclusive to turn based. Feels like it would work while paused as well.

• Options
    I am getting really sick of the fae . Does baron need to genocide an entire dimension/plane of bitches ? I think he does.

• Options
    I am getting really sick of the fae . Does baron need to genocide an entire dimension/plane of bitches ? I think he does.

You have no idea.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Ancient evil lost civilization of dark worshipping (demons? Devils?) cyclops are cool . I have spoken . No but really this is a cool world.

EspantaPajaro on
This discussion has been closed.