As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pathfinder: Kingmaker- Wrath of the Righteous out now!

• Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    Man the kingdom stuff is not going well for me. I dunno if its cause I took too long to do the main quest with the trolls or what, but my kingdom is always really close to rebelling and now it says something about my kingdom might perish cause I haven't finished season of bloom which isn't even a quest in my journal.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Sonelan wrote: »
    Man the kingdom stuff is not going well for me. I dunno if its cause I took too long to do the main quest with the trolls or what, but my kingdom is always really close to rebelling and now it says something about my kingdom might perish cause I haven't finished season of bloom which isn't even a quest in my journal.

I also tried to put off Troll Trouble at first, cause I thought completing it would move the story forward (like in chapter 1) and I wanted to make sure I did all the side stuff first

But from chapter 2 (and onward?) the chapter progression is gated just by the curse, so you want to knock out story missions as quickly as possible to leave you plenty of time for sidequests and kingdom management

When you get a troll Problem event while your general is already working on a troll Problem, that's a sign you need to take care of it manually

I don't know if this affects you or not, but make sure your Build Points are not in the negative. You can buy them with gold if you want

Also, Problems are the only kingdom events that are really urgent. Everything else, like curses, can wait

(This is my understanding at least. Only towards the end of Chapter 2 myself, but things seem to be going very well for my kingdom)

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

I also tried to put off Troll Trouble at first, cause I thought completing it would move the story forward (like in chapter 1) and I wanted to make sure I did all the side stuff first

But from chapter 2 (and onward?) the chapter progression is gated just by the curse, so you want to knock out story missions as quickly as possible to leave you plenty of time for sidequests and kingdom management

When you get a troll Problem event while your general is already working on a troll Problem, that's a sign you need to take care of it manually

I don't know if this affects you or not, but make sure your Build Points are not in the negative. You can buy them with gold if you want

Also, Problems are the only kingdom events that are really urgent. Everything else, like curses, can wait

(This is my understanding at least. Only towards the end of Chapter 2 myself, but things seem to be going very well for my kingdom)

Yeah, most early cases of unrest issues is with a problem event spawning or failing that puts your treasury in the negative.

Best thing to do is to try and unlock the Warden position, which happens when you're at Rank 3 military and qualified for rank 4. Every time you upgrade your Stability rank your Unrest inproves one level up to Stable.

Also, while it's true *most* chapters are tied to the curse events, Chapter 5 is the exception. It will begin immediately once Chapter 4 ends, though Chapter 6 is still tied to the 5th Bald Hilltop event. Chapter 5 is also the only chapter where delaying for too long can actually have an impact on the story, rather than simply counting down to game over, though you will get an update when it this happens even though you should have no idea that it has happened.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice yall. I will focus on getting the warden up now, and on doing the main quests faster.

I do kinda wonder where yall are getting all this gold to buy BP from. Like i was able to buy 180 using all my gold to start on getting my military up but thats it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice yall. I will focus on getting the warden up now, and on doing the main quests faster.

I do kinda wonder where yall are getting all this gold to buy BP from. Like i was able to buy 180 using all my gold to start on getting my military up but thats it.

Selling magic items you don't need immediately, mostly.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Masterwork weapons. At 100 gold a pop, even the daggers, if you pick up every masterwork weapon from random encounters and the missions, by the time you make it back to town you make about 5-10 grand.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Also artisans. They provide lots of weapons you won’t use, which get fairly good prices as the game goes on.

• Options
    So i assume riots is the last stage before i get a gameover for losing the kingdom? Its just hit that for some reason as i was on my way to the womb even tho no events or anything failed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Beneath the Stolen Lands + Turn Based Mod = Joy

It's really like playing a totally different version of the game, and the abilities and skills of your PCs are just so much more actively considered with the mod on. It's been such a blast. I added in the Travel Speed mod to jack up the exploration movement speed and combat speed so it wouldn't feel like Divinity 2, and I can't recommend it enough.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    So i assume riots is the last stage before i get a gameover for losing the kingdom? Its just hit that for some reason as i was on my way to the womb even tho no events or anything failed.

No, I think you're fine. I think that's a creative descriptor for kingdom chaos rather than a major warning, since I got the same thing at that same point, even though my kingdom stability was doing pretty well and the unrest description in the top left of the kingdom view was stable or serene or something.

• Options

It's really like playing a totally different version of the game, and the abilities and skills of your PCs are just so much more actively considered with the mod on. It's been such a blast. I added in the Travel Speed mod to jack up the exploration movement speed and combat speed so it wouldn't feel like Divinity 2, and I can't recommend it enough.

A lot of classes and abilities really benefit from switching to turn based combat.

Class that benefits the most IMO is the magus. A lot of their best arcana is so dependent on making turn-by-turn decisions. Some of the domains and wizard schools that add an X per day spell-like ability are also improved, since you can use them regularly like the cantrips they are normally expected to replace without having to worry about losing track of how many uses you have left.

There is a flip side you need to be aware of though. Turn-based combat makes initative rolls and getting the suprise round so much more important than with normal real time with pause. This is especially true when you get to higher levels and big fights, because 5-6 baddies being able to do full-round attacks on you when you're still flat-footed and without any chance to run or reposition typicially mean a party member or two getting downed or killed before you had the chance to do anything. Dwemercats will also become the worst thing ever, becauae apparently their teleporting pounce is only a swift action, and as long as no running was done they can do another full-round attack immediately after.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dweomercats are indeed assholes. Just teleporting behind my Wizard and hitting her 8 times is an auto reload

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    So, beat the game, got the Golden ending.

Wasn't able to complete all the Storyteller's collections thanks to never being able to get a spot with the last bit of the Star Commander's Gloves to be revealed, and I didn't get all the artisan masterworks either (though I did get the ones I actually planned on using.)

*Kinda* want to start it up again right away as a CN something, to try for the Worship Me! chevo, but it would take so long to get that far, and I have other tactical RPGs waiting in the backlog that are calling for me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    Dunno if this has been answered already, but is there anywhere that explains how best to handle combat in the game for someone who has no idea of Pathfinder, and doesn't play PnP RPGs at all(just mainly console ones). I've had this game from around launch, and have gotten through the first chapter a couple of times(mostly by letting the AI do whatever the hell it wanted and save scumming a lot), but no with the turn-based mod I want to play with control, but don't know anything about what skills are best to use or preparations to make.

I'm trying to use a sorcerer, and have read to put points in charisma, but otherwise don't know much. So, any tips that might be considered a Dummies Guide to Pathfinder(or at least a pointer to appropriate posts if this has already been explained somewhere in the 37 pages of this thread) would be helpful.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    The games like this, from since the time of Baldur's Gate, have always had one problem with me.
    You get to max level, possibly not even quite max level, and then the game ends.
    There's so little time to enjoy your bag of tricks until you are at the last boss, probably cheese it in some ways (i had a ton of fireball wands and just just shot all the enemies with them from beyond visual distance in Baldur's Gate, same(ish) tactic in BG2, except it was summon wands and scrolls), and that's it, unless the game has the option to import existing character to a new game.

Thinking of starting a new game, just need to decide if i really want to spend 6 euros to play a tiefling, or just go with my original elven necromancer.
    Do i want to buy the dlc's (probably not), and how did i go about cheating to level 20 before any combat actually takes place (i have done it, don't remember how, i know there are plenty of options, just need to pick one).

Also what mods to use.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    @Interpreter

I'm working on a basic intro-to-PF post for you; have you played any D&D-based RPGs in the past (that you felt like you understood)?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Dunno if this has been answered already, but is there anywhere that explains how best to handle combat in the game for someone who has no idea of Pathfinder, and doesn't play PnP RPGs at all(just mainly console ones). I've had this game from around launch, and have gotten through the first chapter a couple of times(mostly by letting the AI do whatever the hell it wanted and save scumming a lot), but no with the turn-based mod I want to play with control, but don't know anything about what skills are best to use or preparations to make.

I'm trying to use a sorcerer, and have read to put points in charisma, but otherwise don't know much. So, any tips that might be considered a Dummies Guide to Pathfinder(or at least a pointer to appropriate posts if this has already been explained somewhere in the 37 pages of this thread) would be helpful.

There is an in-game glossary for most of the basic terms, if you are super green. As for the step beyond that.

Attribute distribution for Sorcerers: After Charisma, the most important attributes for a sorc are Dexterity (Ranged to-hit bonus, Armor class dex bonus, and Reflex saves) Constitution (HP and fortitude saves), Wisdom (will saves) and Intelligence (additional skill points), in that order, though you personally might decide to bump Intelligence 1 or two steps depending on how many skills you want. Strength is basically a dump stat unless you're thinking of some sort of Dragon Disciple/Eldritch Knight build (which you absolutely should NOT do if this is your first time) so you could consider removing 2 points from it to use elsewhere (though only if it was already at 10 or higher.) IMO 16-18 is high enough for the "Main" attribute in most cases, (though those who gain 9th level spells like Sorcerers might want to start no lower than 17, since 19 is the minimum ability score to cast 9th level spells) and pushing further would come at the expense of the other ones. Also, a normal character gets to raise an attribute by 1 five times from level 1-20, though you will likely not get to 20 before the end of the game, even if you do everything, so keep that in mind too if you're thinking of leaving any ability scores at odd numbers.

Skills: 99% of the skill checks in the game has you using the highest skill bonus among your party, even in dialog, meaning your main character usually doesn't have to be good at X so long as there is someone in the group who is. So for the most part, focus on the skills you are trained in that are boosted by the ability scores you're highest at. For Sorcerer that's Persuasion (which IIRC is one of the skills you have at least one solo check with) and Use Magic Device (aka UMD, which will let you use scrolls and wands for spells sorcerers normally can't cast) Another thing to keep in mind that the skills used for Camping are Lore(Nature), Stealth, Knowledge(World), and Perception, so you might consider putting any additional points you have after Persuasion and UMD into one of those so your PC can contribute even when you aren't camping within the lands you control (which is the only time the PC has their own special camping ability that they can use). Finally, most outside-of-dialog Perception and Trickery checks only give you one chance per character to attempt them before you have to gain a level to try again, and you aren't aware of any of the Perception checks you are making unless you succeed, so one of those would likely make a good 3rd or 4th skill to have just for the redundancy, even if you're character isn't trained in that skill.

Spells: As a sorcerer, you are limited in the number of spells you know versus a Wizard, in exchange for having the ability to cast those spells more often. Usually, the party sorcerer is the artillery for the group; slinging fireballs and lightning everywhere, without much in utility spells that might have a narrow use. You'll still want Shield for protection (Mage Armor stops being useful once you have magic bracers that provide a larger bonus, though you could probably cobble together some scrolls to hold you over till then), and have some of those spells be CC spells that cover each type of save, but if you need to cast a party buff with a 10 minute+ duration that's unlike to need refreshing before you rest again, you might leave that to the Wizard or Cleric in the party. On the other hand, buffs that need to be cast more or less every battle are also a good candidate for Sorcerer spells. Finally, since you can not retrain old spells that have fallen out of use for a different one at the same level (unless you have a mod that lets you) You almost always want to avoid spells that have a hard limit to the affected HD (aka Hit Die, aka enemy levels) like the plague, unless that limit is over 24-26 (the HD of *most* of the enemies towards the end as far as I remember) or they're one of your bloodlines spell and you can't get rid of it even if you want to.

Preparation: Always, Always have Delay Poison up for your front liners until you get the Communal version, after which you can just cast that instead. While not every fight is going to have poison, poison is a absolute pain in the ass when it does happen and it shows up often enough might as well act like it will and not get a nasty surprise. You will also want to keep a handful or so of Lesser Restoration scrolls at hand when you do get surprised by poison, or anything else that causes Ability Damage, since that's the only way to get rid of it early on and still keep moving. Another good thing to have is Resist Elements or Protection from Elements ready to cast in case you run up against something that abuses the element in question. Early on that's going to be fire (for enemy Alchemists) and lightning (for Will O' Wisps) if you're sticking to scrolls, though eventually every one will show up at some point so a slotted spell on the party cleric is probably warranted once they can cast the communal version, ready to be whatever element it needs to be until you know what you're facing. You'll probably want at least 3-4 rests worth (or 18-24 depending on party size) of camping and ration supplies you can use inside dungeons where you can't hunt. Finally, all those little +1 bonus spells like Bless and Protection from Alignment do add up, especially early in the game where you often have a 50/50 shot of hitting something with a sword swing, so standing around buffing before heading into the next room is almost always a great idea.

Finally, as the last bit of "brief" advice before Elvenshae's full For dummies post: it is a rule of thumb for Pathfinder (and most versions of D&D if this game sends you down the rabbit whole) that most classes, particularly spellcasters, don't really get into high gear until around level 6 or 7. That's when most spellcasters get access to 3rd level spells (which includes such wonders like Fireball and Haste) plus enough spells in general to last more than one or two fights, and the BAB (base attack bonus) of those who are not pure spellcasters start growing faster than the AC of most enemies. Until then, it might feel like a bit of a slog, so try to carry on until then!

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    @Interpreter

I'm working on a basic intro-to-PF post for you; have you played any D&D-based RPGs in the past (that you felt like you understood)?

I played a couple of the Gold Box RPGs from back when SSI still existed(I think Pool of Radiance, Curse of Azure Bonds), and did play a bit of Bard's Tale(I might still have the graph paper where I was trying to make a map) for a bit, but I don't think I ever finished it. IIRC I started playing adventure games more and didn't really get back into RPGs until JRPGs.

I did pick up the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions, but again I mostly let the party AI do what it wants while I try to occasionally target something(and I haven't played it for long. I think I got to the inn you're heading to at the start and that's about it). And I did play Pillars of Eternity(also letting party AI do most of the fighting), and I did start on Pillars 2 in turn-based mode(after an attempt at RTwP), but haven't progressed much beyond the first city you go to after the starting one(I really have to stop being distracted by other games).

I think of all the recent isometric RPGs I've played lately the three Shadowrun games and Pillars 1 have been the ones I've finished(and part way through Divinity: Original Sin before being distracted by some other shiny game, most likely a console game).

• Options
    @Foefaller

Thanks for the info.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    The best reason to have Delay Poison running on your front liners all the time is that it makes them immune to any Stinking Cloud spells that you cast. Protection from actual enemy poison is almost a side bonus in comparison.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    "Your Highness, the militia in Varnhold are rebelling!"

*Octavia casts Maximized, Empowered Fireball*

"The rebellion is no more!"

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    "Your Highness, the militia in Varnhold are rebelling!"

*Octavia casts Maximized, Empowered Fireball*

"The rebellion is no more!"

Hard, but fair.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular

I just want to re-iterate this. The Turn-Based Mod is transformative. Before the TBM, I played PF:KM for a couple of acts and dropped it because the combat became progressively more frustrating as my party gained powers. I either had to pause constantly (or crank up the auto-pause triggers) to make sure that I was utilizing all of my group's spells and abilities or I had to let the AI run wild and do stupid stuff. Things were either super-fiddly or super dumb. With the TBM, combat plays out more like a TT RPG.

And don't let the fact that it's a mod scare you. It's REALLY well done. It looks and works like a part of the real game UI and its operation is seamless. It's so well done, in fact, that Owlcat is using it as the basis of its turn-based implementation for Wrath of the Righteous.

PF:KM with the TBM finally broke my HBS Battletech addiction.

• Options
    New update to the kickstarter:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/2865057

Goes over all of the new Prestige Classes for Wrath, though it says they're hoping to add at least one more

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Winter Witch looks fun.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Winter Witch looks fun.

TBH, I have no idea what hexes are in the context of the Pathfinder ruleset, but I desperately want that pet weasel.

• Options
    So I just finished Varnhold’s Lot. It was a quality dungeon crawl with some minor main story integration. Random thoughts (and minor spoilers):
    1. Varn’s VA was miscast. That portrait demanded a gruff baritone sort of voice.
    2. Was honestly expecting Cephal to be some sort of traitor/sellout.
    3. The General should be hireable as advisor in the main story. Sort of weird they just end up hanging out in your tavern.
    4. The one guaranteed piece of gear you receive (without having to buy) for completing Varnhold’s Lot is an uber-bow, which was disappointing. Does Ekun really need to be more OP?
    5. I feel like Varn’s eventual fate (hanging out it in your castle and possibly being your advisor) doesn’t make a lot of sense in the context of the Varnhold’s Lot story. You should be able to send him back to Varnhold in some capacity. Mayor? Captain of the Guard? I mean... he wasn’t the sharpest baron south of Restov, but he was basically a good guy who tried hard. He should be able to go back to the town he founded.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    htm wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Winter Witch looks fun.

TBH, I have no idea what hexes are in the context of the Pathfinder ruleset, but I desperately want that pet weasel.

Hexes are the special thing for Witches and Shamans. They differ from normal spellcrafting (though both get normal arcane and divine spellcasting, respectively) in that you usually can use them as much as you want, but for most cases you can only use it on a specific target once per day.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Stupid sexy fox people....My precious ratfolk babies.. ;_;

They will have their revenge.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    There’s no way Kitsune are losing that poll.

Though they’ll probably do the second highest polling race as DLC like they did with Teiflings.

Also with mod support opening up basically anything goes.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Just saw the email about the survey - it's done, and unsurprisingly Kitsune won. Ratfolk got a respectable second place, so I guess we might see them in a DLC.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Started over because I fouled up a bunch of the story. Went to get Octavia and Regongar....and the quest bugged out and I can't go in to rescue them. Meh.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Guess I'll wait a few months for the rat DLC before playing..

sigh.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I'm counting the days till Pathfinder hits on Xbonx. I'm hoping it and the Avengers will temporarily fill the Cyberpunk 2077 shaped hole in my soul.

I'd normally be on the fence about a straight CRPG using a controller, but both Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin worked just fine once I got all the shortcuts and nuances down.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    So i started this ! It’s going kinda slow while I try to get my head around stuff. First run through will use other people builds as that’s typically the hardest thing to do when you don’t understand the game . Also fuck that bear it took forever and also fuck the slaver random encounter , I just reload when that one pops up .

Edit- also how are the story companions ? Usable , bad ?

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    So i started this ! It’s going kinda slow while I try to get my head around stuff. First run through will use other people builds as that’s typically the hardest thing to do when you don’t understand the game . Also fuck that bear it took forever and also fuck the slaver random encounter , I just reload when that one pops up .

Some of them are pretty good. Octavia works well as an Arcane Trickster when you put her acid cantrip on auto-cast for sneak attack damage. Nok-Nok is probably the most min-maxed NPC I've ever seen. Linzi is solid just because Bards in general are good. Others are a bit less impressive in their default paths. Tristian is great at buffing allies but can't do much else, so I often had him sitting back and pinging enemies with his crossbow. Harrim is decently tanky, and an okay cleric, but his Charisma is terrible so his channeling will always be bad.

If you don't use Octavia, you'll be seriously hurting for a full arcane caster. I wouldn't even consider her one, since she starts with a level in Rogue and IIRC that and the first level of Arcane Trickster put her a full spell level behind, even if you don't invest any further in Rogue. That said, arcane casters are also probably the hardest kind of class to "get right" by yourself because knowing what spells are useful becomes so important.

• Options
    edited July 2020

I'd say it more or less goes something like this:

- Linzi, Tristian, Amiri, and Regongar are all fairly solid representatives of their class/archetype, though there are ways they could have been better (like that a tradional Magus would be better than Regongar's Eldritch Scion, or that Tristian would have been better served with Fire being one of his primary domains, rather than just the bonus spells he gets for his archetype, also Tristian can end up permanently blinded for plot reasons, which can hamper him a bit if not adjusted for)

- Octavia shines with the changes from PnP rules; normally you'd want a pure wizard, but because of the super generous flanking rules (only need two adjacent characters to get bonuses and other's ranged attacks will benefit too) you can give her the Improved Sneak Attack so she can go straight into Arcane Trickster with her starting Rogue level, load her up with ray attacks (which have an attack roll, therefore qualify for sneak attack) and just destory things.

- Jubilost is amazing because Alchemists are kinda broken.

- I found Ekundayo to be a pretty amazing Bow Ranger, though I'm unsure if it's just his build or bow rangers in Pathfinder in general.

- Nok-Nok was best described earlier in this thread as "that min-max build the DM only allowed on the condition they are RP'd completely straight." Amazing Knife Master Rogue who will quickly become one of your most lethal characters.

-Harrim is only a middling Cleric, thanks to so-so Strengh and abysmal Charisma (which means fewer Channel Positive Energy uses for healing, something pretty boy Tristian can do practically all day) but with his Heavy Armor proficiency I found a fairly solid niche with touch attacks (especially with the Turn-based mode mod, which I believe I heard will get patched into the game when the console versions launch), which don't need all that high of a to-hit bonus as long as you are careful picking your targets.

- Jaethal I don't have much knowledge on, being as she's so unabashedly evil (and not in a fun way) that she never feels like a fit for the party. Few times I did use her felt like she was sorta like Harrim: forte in touch attacks (especially since, as undead, you'll be loading her up with Inflict spells so she can do her own healing.) Also, Inquistors in general don't really start feeling good, IMO, until you get enough Judgment uses to last a day either.

- the DLC characters, both Kineticists, can be pretty powerful, but require you to understand how the Kineticist class actually works (especially Kannerah's archytpe) to get much out of them.

- Finally, Valerie, a Tower Shield Specialist Fighter who has all that CHA, but nowhere to use it, and suffers for it. There are things you can *try* to do to make her work, but in most cases unless you're romancing her you are better off stacking her with excess CHA gear and using her solely as an advisor once you get to kingdom building (as both the roles she can take use Charisma as their primary attribute)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Valerie takes a little work but she really shines as a front line fighter. A few levels of mobility gives her some dodge, and you can just have her fight defensively all the time. Cranking up team feats like outflank if you have another melee with it also helps. I've heard that her high CHA works well for Dazzling Display too.

For my restart (and god help me, I might restart AGAIN) I just gave myself a pile of gold and made all my own characters just so I could make what I wanted.

Nosf on
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Because of his Domains, Harrim is actually a pretty good offensive caster.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    I found Valerie to be useful. Mostly because you need at least 2 things to go get hit and she's really well designed for getting hit. All the high damage from Ekundayo or Nok-Nok doesn't help with the rushes. I typically rolled with:
    Valerie (take point and get aggro),
    Harrim (off tank/healer),
    Linzi (haste, off healer, song buffs, ranged damage)
    Ekundayo (pet is an off tank, plus great box damage)
    Nok-Nok (previously mentioned ability to kill everything, plus thief skills)
    PC sorcerer for that crowd control and badguy go boom.

I would happily swap in Octavia or Amiri, especially before you get Nok-Nok or Ekun. But I never found much use for Tristian. Harrim and Linzi both bring heals plus buffs and one can tank better. And Regongar's class seems like a better PC class. Just doesn't seem to justify a slot someone else has for the damage it puts out (and, frankly, the attention it needs to function at peak). Jaethal is interesting but, mechanically, I have NO use for a healer who needs different types of healing spells than the rest of the party. Maybe I'm using her wrong. Never really used her much outside of her specific quests.

Jubilost is pretty good, but I don't think I ever really dug into how alchemists work and never felt like there was a whole in my main group that needed filling.

This discussion has been closed.