Options

The [Movie] Was Perfected In 1974

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I kind of feel like the Insidious/Conjuring series of films are tailor made for a younger audience just getting into horror.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I'm just a big wuss but for a bit of fun:
    Hocus Pocus
    Ernest Scared Stupid

Also, not strictly movies, but you could marathon the first season of Supernatural. Lots of spooky, jump scares, and creepy factor, also a lot of it riffs on generic horror tropes.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I remember being really freaked out by Ernest Scared Stupid

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    These are some good suggestions!

He's already seen Alien, and found it kind of boring. (He has ADHD and can kind of tune out if things get too slow.) I think Scream might be a lot of fun, that's a good option.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Astaereth wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    The Neverending Story

Do you want to give him nightmares for life? Better to show him something that will mess him up less, like Audition or A Serbian Film.
    Why won’t the fucking horse just come out of mud is it TRYING to die Jesus fucking Christ

Also, I just want to mention that Audition is great and so very fucked up.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I think Trick R Treat is a good option for a youngin horror movie too.

In fact, I may watch it myself tonight.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I fondly recall Tremors, though it has been 20 years since I saw it. But I recall it as a good "Monsters assault small town" that stays in its lane. You could even add Predator, which is an action movie that turns into a horror movie, but compared to the genre, is not particularly gory, torturish or sexualized (Well apart from Arnold I guess).

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Chinatown is now available for Amazon Prime folks.

Watch it, it is a very good movie.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I think Trick R Treat is a good option for a youngin horror movie too.

In fact, I may watch it myself tonight.

There is pretty explicit talk about sex in Trick r Treat, but I also have no idea what ages get what education anymore

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Criterion spine #850: Something Wild

So there are actually two films in the collection called Something Wild: this film, an independent from 1961, and Jonathan Demme's prickly romantic comedy from 1986. Not that they bear comparison apart from their names, but I definitely prefer Demme's effort.

This one is about a young woman played by Carroll Baker who's raped and finds herself struggling to resume life afterwards. After moving into an apartment block and trying to maintain a job, she's taken in by an awkward and possessive mechanic. It's set in New York City, with lots of good location photography, it's got a Saul Bass title sequence, and Baker, who performs a lot of her role silently, is really strong in it.

The thing is, it just doesn't have any flow. Its unreasonably slow, willing to watch its characters wander about New York and look around a room in silence. I love when films use duration in order to craft or shift meaning, but here it just feels like a headstrong commitment to realism and nothing else. It doesn't escape the histrionic scoring of the time period either, with horns or strings blaring over anything halfway emotional for the characters. Despite its often ignored subject matter that it approaches with maturity, its entirely too uneven to be absorbed; an awkward film in which technique and writing and rhythm are all at odds with one another. It wants to be illuminating, and it sets up an interesting frame, but doesn't have a lot to say or build towards.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Hocus Pocus
    Ernest Scared Stupid

Also, not strictly movies, but you could marathon the first season of Supernatural. Lots of spooky, jump scares, and creepy factor, also a lot of it riffs on generic horror tropes.

Yes I love these! Ernest Scared Stupid really scared me as a kid even though it's silly

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Credit for Poltergeist has been a muddy issue for years but Tobe Hooper is the officially credited director. Accounts vary as to what was his and what was Spielberg's input.

It's been a while since I've seen it but I think it felt more like a Spielberg movie.

I read something in the last year where Spielberg claimed it was because he did a bunch of pick-ups or 2nd unit shots...and one day he happened to be doing that in front of people who didn’t know the difference.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    These are some good suggestions!

He's already seen Alien, and found it kind of boring. (He has ADHD and can kind of tune out if things get too slow.) I think Scream might be a lot of fun, that's a good option.

My 13 year old had wanted to see a Saw movie and we tried to dissuade him with using Alien. He got bored real quick and we ended up watching Saw anyway. He didn't find it scary at all. Kids these days!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Ah, my little one is fine with blood, but a little squicked out by gore. He was fine with John Wick, for example, but something like The Thing would not go over well.

Trick R Treat might be a fun one. It's creepy, but I thiiiiiink it wouldn't be too bad.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I saw Alien as a kid and didn't find it scary. Kids find different things scary. You kind of have to have an adult understanding of things for some things to disturb you. Like there's some, uh, mature themes in Alien that just don't come across if you're too young. Aliens works much better because its themes are more straightforward and less opaque to a young audience.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Thing that scarred me the most as a kid was Temple of Doom.

That fucking hallway with the bugs was just, fuck no. Nightmare fuel.

Guy getting his heart ripped from his chest while he was still alive though? No issues.

shryke on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Chinatown is now available for Amazon Prime folks.

Watch it, it is a very good movie.

I fondly remember watching it with my sister and my mother and my sister and my mother

No?

Ah, forget it

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The statue transformation scene in Ghostbusters scared the crap out of me as a kid.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The statue transformation scene in Ghostbusters scared the crap out of me as a kid.

The scene where Dana gets taken was the one that gave me the heebie jeebies. I loved the film despite it.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Poltergeist will fuck you up as a kid.

The Dana scene agreed, I used to hide behind the curtains during that.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    If Dan Akroyd asks you if you want to see something really scary, tell him no.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Kid me got super freaked out watching Jumanji. The hornets in particular.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Thing that scarred me the most as a kid was Temple of Doom.

That fucking hallway with the bugs was just, fuck no. Nightmare fuel.

Guy getting his heart ripped from his chest while he was still alive though? No issues.

Hell, the people getting their faces melted off in the first one did it for me.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    From Dusk Til Dawn could be pretty classy. Violent and some rude titties but not that bad considering what was in the 80's, and it has that sense of fighting back and blowing up vampire scum that can assuage scary moments. There's probably been worse on Fortnite or Tik Tok or whatever kids do these days.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I was always curious about that old movie called Network.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I've had Cheech's sales pitch in From Dusk Till Dawn memorized for more than 20 years.

I've had good results in getting friends to buy me a beer by performing that monologue in bars as Billy Mays of Oxi-Clean fame.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    From Dusk Til Dawn could be pretty classy. Violent and some rude titties but not that bad considering what was in the 80's, and it has that sense of fighting back and blowing up vampire scum that can assuage scary moments. There's probably been worse on Fortnite or Tik Tok or whatever kids do these days.

From Dusk Till Dawn opens with like an implied sexual assault and murder...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I've had Cheech's sales pitch in From Dusk Till Dawn memorized for more than 20 years.

I've had good results in getting friends to buy me a beer by performing that monologue in bars as Billy Mays of Oxi-Clean fame.

I was still endlessly amused Cheech played two characters in the movie.

"what were they psychos?"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    You all have some aggressive suggestions for a fucking eleven years old.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    You all have some aggressive suggestions for a fucking eleven years old.
    We watched them and we turned out....fine....

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Hocus Pocus
    Ernest Scared Stupid

Yes I love these! Ernest Scared Stupid really scared me as a kid even though it's silly

I still quote it at work all the time just as a non sequitur when someone says something stupid "I bet you didnt think I could find it this time of year....Miak!"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm thinking of what I saw at that age and while stuff had violence and language it wasn't that bad in actually sticking with you, hell Never Ending Story and Artax freaked me out more than something like a Friday the 13th or Total Recall (Murphy dying in RoboCop freaked me out but it wasn't the violence but the cruelty of Red Foreman so when the thugs got toxified or a spike through the face you were all yeah boiiiii).

I'd be more concerned these days about the kids who write off Paddington as shallow and pedantic. Those are the kids you need to watch out for.

• Options
    Yeah, i'm more comfortable with my son watching cartoony violence or seeing a boob than with, say, sexual assault or super demeaning portrayals of women or torture and the like.

Like, I let him watch most of Kill Bill, because it's so over the top that you don't take it seriously. But I skipped past the rape parts because... yeah, no.

Mostly my concern with picking a good horror movie is I don't want him scared to go to sleep, because *I* want to go to sleep.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Well stay away from nightmare on elm street for sure then. Maybe show him some later ones first when freddy is more comedy than scary. 3 might be the best as they start fighting back, and I don't remember it being particular scary. But again, after seeing part 2, freddy was just no longer scary for me like he was in the first.movie.

• Options
    Oh, i'm well acquainted with Nightmare on Elm Street, and no way in fuck am I letting him watch that yet. :D

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    What about Evil Dead 2?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Spielberg made good PG-13 horror movies. Jaws, Jurassic Park, Poltergeist.

If we're throwing scary Spielberg on the pile you can't leave out Duel

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    The Dark Crystal

The Dark Crystal sucks and is not scary at all.

giphy.gif

I'm not sure what this means but seriously, don't rewatch The Dark Crystal if you have fond nostalgic memories of it. All it's got going for it is come cool creature design on the birds.

Metaphorically being shocked/surprised. I rewatched it a few years ago and found it held up, still creepy AF. They definitely have excellent designs in the movie.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    For lighter fare, Critters was always a favorite of mine. The Gate isn't that great, but I recall liking it at that age. And for a pg13 movie that can really get to some people, Arachnophobia.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    My parents had a pretty reasonable view on movie violence. Over the top to the point of funny violence was fine as was "realistic" stuff like Jurassic Park but stuff that glamorized violence was a pass. Years later when they stopped caring my mom said they were fine with me laughing at violence, just not admiring it.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.