As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    more room for nuggets tho

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    The Cannabis Legalisation and Reform bill draft that we'll be voting on in Sept has been released, and from the broad scope of it, it actually looks pretty reasonable?

I mean, regulatory regime is tougher than alcohol, but paths for growers to move into legal market, licensing, allowance for unlicensed home grow, etc - it all looks pretty good on the face of it.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    The Cannabis Legalisation and Reform bill draft that we'll be voting on in Sept has been released, and from the broad scope of it, it actually looks pretty reasonable?

I mean, regulatory regime is tougher than alcohol, but paths for growers to move into legal market, licensing, allowance for unlicensed home grow, etc - it all looks pretty good on the face of it.

I wonder what impact the corona virus is going to have on this referendum. By the time it rolls around we are going to be more keenly feeling the effects of the on-coming recession. Does economic hardship encourage a more conservative consensus on social issues? Though maybe the economic benefits of legalisation will be too much to pass up given the circumstances. Tourism's dead? Maybe seize the opportunity to make the most of NZ's 'clean green' image...

• Options
    exis wrote: »
    Antoshka wrote: »

I wonder what impact the corona virus is going to have on this referendum. By the time it rolls around we are going to be more keenly feeling the effects of the on-coming recession. Does economic hardship encourage a more conservative consensus on social issues? Though maybe the economic benefits of legalisation will be too much to pass up given the circumstances. Tourism's dead? Maybe seize the opportunity to make the most of NZ's 'clean green' image...

The far north, and west coast can become economic powerhouses at last. Just in time for Queenstown to collapse completely.

Actually, on that subject, I note that a number of tourism operators are calling on the government to reopen earlier, and encourage travel. Yes, that seems likely.

Actually, I do wonder what they expect - even if we reopen everything today... Tourism isn't coming back for at least a year, probably more.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    People seem keen on opening the borders between Aus and NZ. I don't think that'd be the golden bullet they're hoping for but it might help a little.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Happiest thing yesterday: The discovery that the excellent local cafe was open and doing contactless pickup for takeway drinks.

I may have bought two hot chocolates as a result. I may be planning to go for a walk and get another one today.

Mmmmm, hot chocolate.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    we finally broke down our takeaway blockade yesterday. Ellie said she wanted pizza.

So we ordered from Domino's on Thursday night, to be delivered for lunch on Friday. They showed up on time, no issues at all.

Ellie ate the mushrooms and cheese off of one piece, I had 3 slices for lunch and 4 for dinner and it was the most unsatisfied I have felt about food in 6 weeks.

which, let me tell you, that's depressing.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I met up with my Brother, his wife, and my nieces for the first extended human contact I've had in 5 weeks. We made pancakes, and took the girls biking. It was fantastic.
    I also got Thai last night, it was everything I expected, and made my sad attempt at Pad Thai look even worse. Overall, an excellent weekend so far.

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Ellie ate the mushrooms and cheese off of one piece, I had 3 slices for lunch and 4 for dinner and it was the most unsatisfied I have felt about food in 6 weeks.

which, let me tell you, that's depressing.

I feel that way about takeaway/delivery pizza too all the time these days.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Dominos is the worst pizza.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Went out to get a few things at the local mall. Looks like Berejiklian letting 2 people visit other houses was code for ‘lockdown is over’.

The mall was packed, no one gave a single shit about social distancing.

We’re going to have a spike in 2 weeks in NSW, guaranteed.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    :/
    The deputy chief medical officer being way too diplomatic about hydrochloriquine in this press conference in Aus at the moment.
    'tests ongoing' about 'how useful it can be'.
    Rather than, yeah nah I'm concerned that it doesn't work at all.

discrider on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Their spicy veg trio with extra jalapenos and peri peri sauce swirl is delicious and I will fight you

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    At that point you’re just tasting chilli and the delivery system means little.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    At that point you’re just tasting chilli and the delivery system means little.

The chilli flavour enhances the pizza experience, doesn't make it entirely

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Counterpoint: Papa Johns.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Counterpoint: Papa Johns.

Never seen one in Sydney.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2020
    Yeah that’s not a thing in Aus.

tynic on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Domino's is the one that the kid will usually eat, so we get that.

Tonight we ordered Indian from our usual place.

I've apparently graduated to a kiwi medium.

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    When the world returns to a more normal state, there are some northern/central European countries that will really like to take up your challenge.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    So news today said the Australian governments CovidSafe app won’t actually be working until tomorrow because they’re still nutting out details like... security?

They’ve spent a week telling us to download it and it’s secure when they still haven’t figured out security?

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Considering already close ties and relative successes battling COVID, relaxing restrictions on trans-tasman travel seems like both a good idea as well as one that's probably reasonably simple to implement.

Are there any Pacific islands that have kept the disease at bay? They could be considered too, if they had any interest.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Solvent wrote: »
    Considering already close ties and relative successes battling COVID, relaxing restrictions on trans-tasman travel seems like both a good idea as well as one that's probably reasonably simple to implement.

Are there any Pacific islands that have kept the disease at bay? They could be considered too, if they had any interest.
    Apparently there are no cases in Cook Islands or Samoa, and relatively few across the region. The question would really be whether they have interest as they are more at risk from us than we are from them.

If you look at somewhere like Fiji - tourism accounts for almost 40% of their GDP, and we are getting in to peak season. They're down to 4 active, confirmed cases. They must be absolutely desperate to get opened up, and I'd bet they'd pull a decent amount of business just from Aus/NZ alone, especially given limited alternatives for travel.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Cook Islands is like 90% NZ tourists and 9.9% Australian tourists. While it would be devastating to open up and get a wave they are likely looking at the AusNZ bubble as an option.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I posted this over in one of the corona virus threads, but NZ hit it's first 0 case day yesterday.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/415817/zero-case-day-a-pat-on-the-back-but-no-party-yet-experts-say

Milestone, mostly symbolic, built still, a nice thing to hear

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    And again today. Honestly, I was expecting yesterday's result to be a blip as a result of it being the weekend, when testing and numbers are always down.

To have it repeated again today, I'm actually more confident that it was an accurate report and not just the usual weekend dip.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah we've had a few days in a row here in W.A., so of course the usual gang of idiots are screaming to abandon all mitigation policies.

• Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    And again today. Honestly, I was expecting yesterday's result to be a blip as a result of it being the weekend, when testing and numbers are always down.

To have it repeated again today, I'm actually more confident that it was an accurate report and not just the usual weekend dip.

i thought i was holding my breath in anticipation before.

but now......

• Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    We've had 0 cases in the ACT for 9 days, one case yesterday and that's the only known case at the moment. Feeling pretty good about that.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

but now......

0 cases for 14 days is when you can start holding your breath. Well, maybe 0 cases which are not the result of home contact with a known case for 14 days. That's the point where you might be able to say,"I think we beat it"

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote: »

but now......

0 cases for 14 days is when you can start holding your breath. Well, maybe 0 cases which are not the result of home contact with a known case for 14 days. That's the point where you might be able to say,"I think we beat it"

Right now I'm being selfish and holding my breath for "daycares are open, you can send your kids back".

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Scott Morrison: Theres no evidence children are susceptible to Covid 19, it’s perfectly safe to reopen schools.

Also Scott Morrison: Covid 19 cases will increase when we reopen schools, but it’s important parents get back to work.

Future Scott Morrison: Schools shouldn’t have been reopened, parents should keep them at home.

Future future Scott Morrison: There’s no evidence children are susceptible to Covid 19, it’s perfectly safe to reopen schools.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Oh, FUCK OFF WINZ.

*sigh* Rant time.

I just got told by winz my disaiblity benefit is getting slashed, again, because i'm out of psych sessions.

Because despite having chronic on going fucking medical health issues, i have to keep getting forms signed to get more psychologist sessions.

And they want me to do this now, during the /fucking outbreak/ because it';s not like i dont know ,there's a fucking bloody pandemic going on.

Upon calling them up, their solution to this was... basically to wring their hands, repeat lines about "But you're out of sessions" and eventually decide they could get me a phone appointment.

With which they'd use to give me an email.

...so i could then email them proof that yep, my GP and Psychologist still think i need to see a psychologist often. It's not like this has been the case for years, because i am quite literally somewhat mad or anything. Or that winz has the fucking evidence trail for miles that they keep singing off on this.

They're apparently not organized enough to be able to give the email over the phone when i'm calling them, because... Reasons.

When i asked for an ETA on this appointment, i was met with confusion on what i meant by ETA, followed by "5 working days, but i'll mark it priority so it's within 24 hours".

Oh, and all this came, via letter, telling me my disaiblity allowance was due to stop on the fourth of may. It's the fucking 6th when this arrived.

Currently in the process of writing a formal complaint to my local elected offical, because holy shit. It's bad enough doing this rigmarole when there's not a bloody pandemic on, but this is just insane. (this is where i also lodge a complaint about the fact it dosent even cover my psych costs properly)

gurggleharhgslstfl.

• Options
    ugh that sucks, hon! I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this now! well I'm sorry at all but especially right now!

• Options
    ugh that sucks, hon! I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this now! well I'm sorry at all but especially right now!

I've just had someoen call me sounding very apologetic, and evne then it's a "I'm going to see what i can do, speak to my trainer".

Like the fact it's not a given to just credit some extra sessions on compassionate grounds right now is actively... disgusting. I think that's the emotion i want.

I'm assuming half the reason they're apologetic sounding is because i made it very clear i was beyond pissed, and i was loding a formal complaint. (also on the digust-o-meter, and a hot tip for anyone who has the misfortune to deal with winz: Throw a polite tantrum at them. Threaten them with calls from your GP, or Psychologist or any friendly proffesioanl you can get o bat for you. they HATE that.

Also hahaha fuck the fact that this how you get shit done).

*sigh* I hate being a beneficary. i hate that this is the crap i get to deal with, and the moment there's any talk of benefit reform you get screaming meltdown fits across the media and political sphere about "The bludgers!". Even family or similar who should know better will immediately start talking about people trying to rort the system. (Fun side note: If you want to even consider surviving, letting alone living, i would argue that rorting the system is mandatory from my experiences. which is so horricaly fucked up, but here we are)

Because heaven forbid that one undeserving person gets extra help, even if we make sure 19 people in need suffer in the process

• Options
    @lonelyahava Seen the good news on level 2 restrictions? Childcare will be open again!

(Meanwhile, the extent of WINZ's we'll get in touch with you first thing is responding to an email sent at 2pm asking for an update with "We dont ahve any updates, thanks for your patience")

Gods and monsters, give me a UBI that actually pays a living amount or something, rather than this constant rigmarole.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    corporate wage theft amounts to more money lost then fraudulent welfare payments. The MBIE used to publish some of these stats, but all the links seem to be 404’d.

I like to bring this up at any possible opportunity!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »
    corporate wage theft amounts to more money lost then fraudulent welfare payments. The MBIE used to publish some of these stats, but all the links seem to be 404’d.

I like to bring this up at any possible opportunity!

Yeah, it's worth hammering home.

The sheer... hate? bile? I dont really ahve words for it. Venom, i guess, you get for daring to be a beneficiary is just... crazy. Like, i did not ask to be born with a brain full of crazy. As it is, i'm up to 4 diagnoisesd chronic, permanent mental health conditions, and currently in the process of checking if i have a fifth (Which if it had been found at any earlier point in my 30+ years of life, would have made a huge difference to my ability to function in society. Assuming i have it).

I actually want to run my own buisness, do things, but i'm not exactly functional - And when i get small setbacks like this, the stress from them knocks me on my back for days (In the last 48 hours, i've probably spent close to a day asleep because i wasnt coping). And even when i'm not on my back, it's stuff like i want new molds for my candle business - 300 dollars is a lot to save up!

Net upshot currently is that WINZ has extended it for six more weeks, but... yeah. Still lodging a formal complaint with my local MP and things, because it's insane that i had to push this hard during such a bad time - and i'm one of the "lucky" ones who can generally just take care of themselves. I hate to think what this has been like for people worse off than me, or who dont have the resources/spoons to get in a fight with WINZ.

• Options
    Just to add to your blood pressure on WINZ being useless:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/416174/work-and-income-acts-unlawfully-over-benefits-and-redundancy-payments

Seriously, there needs to be a massive culture shift from "Fuck yoU' to "Actually Help People" at WINZ.

• Options
    Just to add to your blood pressure on WINZ being useless:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/416174/work-and-income-acts-unlawfully-over-benefits-and-redundancy-payments

Seriously, there needs to be a massive culture shift from "Fuck yoU' to "Actually Help People" at WINZ.

Well, the fact that they had the legislation wrong, both in person and on their website suggests that someone much higher than the clerk at the counter / on the phone needs to have their exact duties clarified in no uncertain terms

n57PM0C.jpg
This discussion has been closed.