As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    The sad thing is that the right wing commentator was just regurgitating the terrible arguments of our PM.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    The sad thing is that the right wing commentator was just regurgitating the terrible arguments of our PM.

It's not a defensible position at all, which is why he had to resort to trying to shout the silly hysterical woman down, no?

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    The wikipedia page for the other guy is interesting reading.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Smith_(broadcaster)

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Any demands for political changes now that the entire country of Australia is on fire? Anybody actually mad who wasn't already mad?

• Options
    I think people have to get over the holidays and through the fires first.
    I don't think the federal government's "It's the state's responsibility" nor ScoMo's Hawaiian holiday have gone over well at all.
    They're looking at compensating volunteer firefighters now though.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I’m not seeing much change in climate attitudes. Just among the people I interact with, those that don’t accept man made climate change still don’t and just attribute it to ‘Australia’s always been like this’.

At this point I really don’t think anything will break the deadlock here until the country is entirely desert, and even then you’ll have people saying Australia was always entirely desert.

• Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I had lunch with a business friend of mine and his wife openly stated 'climate change didn't start this, it was some idiot with a lighter' - I said that might have been the final point, but we only had the whole country go up because it's in a drought and has been for some time and consequently the entire place is a tinder box. We didn't really dig into it further, but I really don't think many minds have changed.

I think there might be some traction in asking for more resources to manage fires and otherwise try and stop this sort of thing happening again, but until we wise up and get rid of the Coalition, we're not getting Federal government assistance here. Thankfully, the market is 100% moving in the right direction and solar with storage is mushrooming up everywhere. It's not enough, but it's moving forward.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The Libs have just got their heads buried in the sand right now. They’ve got no idea how to spin anything in their favour at the moment because of these fires so they’re all just radio silent while Morrison just keeps kicking own goals for some reason.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The Libs have just got their heads buried in the sand right now. They’ve got no idea how to spin anything in their favour at the moment because of these fires so they’re all just radio silent while Morrison just keeps kicking own goals for some reason.

How good is cricket!

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular

How good is cricket!

I have to say, I'm at least happy to see that that comment seems to have gone down like a lead balloon with most.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

How good is cricket!

Gonna be honest, being remionded that ScoMo is your nations leader really takes the sting out of the Boxing Day test.

You guys really need some wins right now, ya know?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I have to wonder if Dutton is sharpening his knives, but if he took Morrison down now he'd have to deal with this, which as a climate change denier I'm sure he'd be against.

He'd give the firies semi automatic rifles.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    plufim wrote: »
    I have to wonder if Dutton is sharpening his knives, but if he took Morrison down now he'd have to deal with this, which as a climate change denier I'm sure he'd be against.

He'd give the firies semi automatic rifles.

Ah but as the person in control of the AFP he'd absolutely love raiding every journalist who ever published anything even slightly critical of his prime ministership...

• Options
    I don't think Dutton could usurp ScoMo, unless a bunch of 'moderate' liberals resigned with Julie Bishop.
    As far as I can tell, ScoMo was the 'compromise' candidate for the leadership.

• Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't think we're seeing the back of ScoMo until an election - first time in a long while we haven't seen white anting from dickheads like Abbott. ScoMo is happy clappy enough for the religious right of the party to keep him on. It's not like Albo is doing fuck all to move the meter away from the coalition, anyway. You hardly hear from him and what he does say is weak at best.

• Options
    Also still wants to sell coal, so he's saying fuck all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Got to get them south Queensland voters
    As opposed to presenting them any non-mine job possibilities

discrider on
  • Options
    I've got it! They're letting the national parks burn up because then there's no forests to block mining projects.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    It's amazing how this man do something almost every day to make me loathe him more.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    That fucking creature

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    That lowlife with the hat shushing the first woman is real a piece of shit

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I'm surprised he hasn't taken a page from Trump and just arranged to have a crowd of adorers waiting for him. (Who am I kidding, it's Trump's handlers who arrange to have the crowds ahead of time.)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options

Firey just gets up and walks off, very nice. Can't even stand to be near Scotty from marketing.

• Options
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular

Well, at least now I understand why his office has been desperate to keep him from commenting on anything, or going anywhere.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    His response of ‘all good, all good’ after finding out the RFS guy lost his house is just... ugh. It’s like he’s taking that as an apology for the guy not shaking his hand, rather than going and apologising to the RFS guy.

Looks like that empathy coaching didn’t help him. He doesn’t even know how to care about the hardships of others.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Starting to believe it's genuine sociopathy.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Starting to believe it's genuine sociopathy.

Well yes, he is a conservative

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Basic, bare minimum leadership would’ve been:

Respect the woman’s decline of a handshake.
    Ask for her name and refer to her by it if she offers it.
    Talk to her, hear her out, say very little, offer comfort and solidarity.
    Interact with her like a human person rather than as a PM.
    When the akubra man tries to usher her off, tell him it’s all right and that you’d like to hear what she has to say.
    Do not turn your back just because someone else has forced space between you and the person you’re speaking to.
    Say “thank you” or any of the basic things you learn in fucking kindy.
    Also: don’t just babble “all good, all good” when someone tells you that an RFS volunteer lost his house while fighting fires. Do literally anything other than this.

This is honestly like watching a poorly programmed robot vacuum repeatedly suck up socks while bumping repeatedly into things, except it also set the house on fire.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Oh hey could it be worse? Yes. That dude who silenced her has a HISTORY.

And then

Yes of course he's a National.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    What the fuck

I hope this makes mainstream news.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Oh hey could it be worse? Yes. That dude who silenced her has a HISTORY.

And then

Yes of course he's a National.

FUCKING GROSS

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I feel like I use this phrase a lot lately but it keeps being relevant: WHAT. THE. FUCK.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Firey just gets up and walks off, very nice. Can't even stand to be near Scotty from marketing.

The other one sees him walking around the table and quickly picks up his drink so he doesn't have a free hand.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Quick question - and sorry to take away from the horror show you're all having to deal with over there - but how would people feel about spinning New Zealand politics off into its own thread? Unlikely to be too much traffic there, or ? IT honestly feels a bit werid from this NZ'ers persepctive to have a combined thread, esp as it often feels like Aus news drowns out any potential NZ news (though in the current circumstances, that's rather understandable!)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    That depends... can we borrow Jacinda Ardern for a few days?

I mean fuck I'll settle for 12 hours.

A single press conference, even.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »

I'll do one better. There's often been the joke that New Zealand is the little brother vassal state, to Australia's awesomeness (relatively speaking).

At this point, fuck it, I'd concede autonomy to them. We obviously can't govern ourselves, if that's the kind of people we elect to run our country.

So let Prime Minister Ardern run shit for a while, until we can learn to be fucking grown-ups as a country.

The same should probably apply to Prime Minister Trudeau regarding the USA, and Taoiseach Varadkar regarding the United Kingdom. AU/US/UK are clearly too fucking stupid to be in charge in their own immediate vicinitys.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »

I love you, Viv, but hands off! lol

As for a thread split I'd say it's probably not needed? If you want to talk about NZ politics, then make posts about it?

I seem to find it a small comfort that there's not much for us to usually talk about, over here in our corner of the world, not doing much.

I'm sure with the election this year we'll get a bit more chatty though? I dunno. My full grasp on NZ politics at the moment is that Simon Bridges has a face and a voice that I'd like to punch. But i'll admit to not being fully tuned in.

This discussion has been closed.