Options

[Doctor Who] New Series Starts May 11th

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Have they put it in a static warp bubble yet? Maybe fire some inverse tachyon pulses at it.

Time Lords are the inverse of clowns - more does not make a party better.

They decamped to the Q continuum and are currently engaged in an epic snark-off with Q, Q, and Q.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    The whole regeneration into Tennant was pretty much like, "Ok. We are done with that crap. On to the good stuff.".
    It was like it was rising from the ashes.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    RazielMortemRazielMortem Registered User regular
    I miss the episodes where the Doctor goes to Gallifrey and they treat him like he's a screw up nobody. He suddenly goes from the smartest guy in the room to being...just another guy in the room, surrounded by potentially smarter Time Lords. Those were fun classic Who stories. It also made sense why he doesn't go back - makes him feel small and the Doctor does have a bit of an ego.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    A rather good fan animation of a scene from a lost episode;

https://youtu.be/rYiHJKMxRRI

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    These are not the new opening credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW4cn0p4xdI

... yet.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    If you're doing a fan-made opening credits sequence, include the middle eight goddammit.
    This is really well done and I like the style.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    I'm a renegade but for me the 7th Doctor's title theme is still my favourite. Slightly higher key, higher tempo, but it's not as bombastic as the Gold stuff or drum n bassy as Akinola.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    There is a certain charm to the 7th Doctor. That incarnation is more like a father figure.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I though it was well-established that Peter Howell's theme at the end of the 4th's term was definitive and there was zero reason to move on from it.

• Options
    While I pledge my allegiance to the 7th doctor theme going all woooeeewwooo, my guilty pleasure is Trial of a Timelord arrangement- it's just so haunting and a bit sad. Perfect. Shame it only lasted one season and is usually forgotten.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    There is a certain charm to the 7th Doctor. That incarnation is more like a father figure.

While I could write all about the depth of the 7th (and I don't mean the daft Cartmel masterplan that everyone agreed was daft and Chibnall just lifted wholesale and made worse somehow), rather the player of games the 7th became I'll just note my favourite aspect is that wardrobe deliberately gradually darken the 7th Doctor's costume throughout the run, so at the start he wears bright colours and by the end he wears browns. A lovely story note to demonstrate his evolution from clown at regeneration to weaver of dark schemes by the end.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »

The annoying thing about it is that it sounds like you have to buy a bunch of stuff to get the whole story.

The character does not seem that interesting for that. She is an assassin. Why would the Doctor want to save her?

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »

The annoying thing about it is that it sounds like you have to buy a bunch of stuff to get the whole story.

The character does not seem that interesting for that. She is an assassin. Why would the Doctor want to save her?

Because the Doctor's a dumb shit who tried to save the Master how many times?

• Options
    edited March 2023
    EDIT: Nvm.

Butler on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Good to see Sooz Kempner getting some higher profile work, but a shame that I'm not that interested in it

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Good to see Sooz Kempner getting some higher profile work, but a shame that I'm not that interested in it

Yeah her acting is fine, it's what she's working with that's the problem. She isn't failing at being a convincingly scary assassin, she is succeeding at being Bridget Jones, Murderer in Space.

• Options
    Butler wrote: »
    Bridget Jones, Murderer in Space

wait hang on did I just talk myself into liking this???

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reality

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    They needed someone that was more sympathetic and helpless to be the one that is running from death.

What is with the stupid chain on her face?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm interested in the character concept but the costume design is abysmal and cheap looking.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    This is something to tide us over, but it comes off as really cheap. They could have whipped up something better.

Or hey, maybe just not wait until November to start up Doctor Who again?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Is the Tennant kick off in November...so far away....

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    That looks like the Kickstarter promo for a Doctor Who FMV video game.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Yeah. What they should have done is made an episodic FMV video game out of this. That would have been neat.

But, no. They want us to buy a bunch of stuff to get a story that they barely bothered to film. It is kind of insulting.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    That looks like the Kickstarter promo for a Doctor Who FMV video game.

I couldn't put my finger on it but yes that's.....yes.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    My wife and I are on our first full watch of this. She got as far as the end of S2 before, and we both have watched a lot of the Jodie Whittaker episodes. We just finished Journey's End about 20 minutes ago. I think we finished wiping our tears maybe 5 minutes ago.

I cannot convey just how much I love this show. The emotional toll is high, but wow is it worth it.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The Davis era could really fall into the trap of just spouting technobabble at time to justify the ridiculousness happening on screen. Two way biological metacrisis what??? Still, the amazing dichotomy of having the TARDIS all full of the Doctor's friends and properly driving it, then 10 minutes later being completely alone again...

And speaking more of Davis, I know damn well he didn't intimately plan shit. He just winged it and worked with what he had. But the man had a way of making it seem like he had a master overarching plan all along...
    "She said two words... Bad Wolf..."
    "!!!"

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Nu-Who doesn't always work, sometimes has daft plots and relies a little too much on Doctor Ex Machina. But it really really good at hitting you in the feels. Both Tennant and Smith are probably best at this.

• Options
    That very first season of New Who was perfect. All the episodes are good. It even introduces Captain Jack and sets up his immortality. You could tell that they really polished it.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    That very first season of New Who was perfect. All the episodes are good. It even introduces Captain Jack and sets up his immortality. You could tell that they really polished it.
    The CGI in episode 3 is pretty scrappy looking now though. Other than that I agree. :)

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Nu-Who doesn't always work, sometimes has daft plots and relies a little too much on Doctor Ex Machina. But it really really good at hitting you in the feels. Both Tennant and Smith are probably best at this.

Ahem and Capaldi.

https://youtu.be/CzCghIPHFI0

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Capaldi, he was the father in Fires of Pompei!

Just watched it again and I was "wait..is that...? It is!" So young.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

It comes up as a plot point right before he makes the call to bring Ashilder back.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

It comes up as a plot point right before he makes the call to bring Ashilder back.

Oh neat, may have to seek that out! Was that in her first episode?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Yeah. There is a thing about Time Lords sometimes taking faces that make an impression on them.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Oh neat, may have to seek that out! Was that in her first episode?

The end of it, yep.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Both of the monologues about his face are so fucking good.

"Who frowned me this face"

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Also Colin Baker was in Dr Who prior to Colin taking the role as the Doctor. Finite number of British actors and sometimes you just impress the producers and they come back to you...

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Way to just completely blank Karen Gillan who is also in the same exact episode! :)

She's one of the prophets and in heavy makeup, so there's actually a good reason you probably didn't recognize her.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
This discussion has been closed.