Options

[Doctor Who] New Series Starts May 11th

19495969798100»

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    New episode! I really enjoyed it, got very tense a few times. And I love the weird marines who are also all priests aesthetic when it crops up

Yup. definitely a fun episode.
    Next week looks like it might be back to the children of the toymaker theme?

Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited May 18
    BOOM!
    woah, new companion appears early! Do we reckon she's gonna be playing this same character or is it a Freema Agyeman in Army of Ghosts / Karen Gillan in Fires of Pompeii type situation where the actor just impressed them and she's gonna be back as an unrelated new character?

She had a lot of screentime compared to those other two though, be a bit weird if she's not playing Mundy next season...

Also fuck me that was the best episode in a long while.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    I cannot agree with Ep 4 being a good one.
    I felt that everyone was holding the idiot ball starting from the git-go. Then there's the AI and algorithm nonsense to tie to real-world goings on which hit like "How are you doing fellow children". And the solution to everything was a literal deus ex machina. It was a shallow, half-hearted idea that didn't go anywhere with the implications. It kept the episode in mostly one location like it was from trying to save on budget. Even the big reveal was telegraphed shortly after the inciting incident.

In short, Stephen Moffat needs to be kept as far away from the Dr Who writing room as humanly possible.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Moffat has written a significant number of the best new Who episodes. Certainly, for me, he’s written the best two.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Episode 4
    Well, I guess the doctor's body can hack computers now.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Moffat has written a significant number of the best new Who episodes. Certainly, for me, he’s written the best two.

Midnight's my favorite, but all of the other best episodes are Moffat ones.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    There are lots of literal things in Episode 4.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Episode 4

I don't think he did?
    the mine was converting his body into some kinda energy for the explosion, but the hack came from the meat tube remains of John in his hand. John just travelled through the Doctor, then through the projectile IV line into the ambulance.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Episode 4

I don't think he did?
    the mine was converting his body into some kinda energy for the explosion, but the hack came from the meat tube remains of John in his hand. John just travelled through the Doctor, then through the projectile IV line into the ambulance.
    Like holding a Van Der Graaf generator and shocking somebody else

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Episode 4

I don't think he did?
    Like holding a Van Der Graaf generator and shocking somebody else
    The doctor as an ethernet router/network node. 🤔😁

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Episode 4
    Perhaps it's cyber-nanites left over from when they tried to assimilate them:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbB3MKRpn_s
    Cut to a close up shot of Ncuti's brain making 56k modem noises 😂:

• Options
    Episode 4
    Well, way to get Ruby killed. Fortunatley, the gun was on a lower setting.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Ep 4
    I was expecting something along the lines of the Algorithm detecting that detonating the doctor would result in "unacceptably high casualties" and deactivate the mine with 1 sec on the clock but I guess that's not schmaltzy enough

not a barnstormer, but fine overall

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Episode 4
    The whole thing with the Doctor being a temporal event ties into what happens at Trenzalor. He is not your ordinary Time Lord.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Episode 4
    The whole thing with the Doctor being a temporal event ties into what happens at Trenzalor. He is not your ordinary Time Lord.

I don’t think he’s a Time Lord at all, actually, thanks to Chibs’ many retcons.

At this point we don’t know what he is. He could be a God on the same level as Maestro and Toymaker.

• Options
    edited May 18
    Yeah. I think he is this shape changing god that was harnessed by the Time Lords and tricked into thinking he is one of them.

His special abilities were never really Time Lord abilities.

That was why the Time Lords eventually did not bother to restrain him and he did so much good that they gave him more regenerations.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    NEXT TIME
    What the hell have you done, Ruby!?
    https://youtu.be/e-kuT0kW848?si=0A_Mc4IbbVl7vfJO

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Pretty good, though with episodes like that I tend to like them according to how tightly they obey the rules the episode sets up to resolve themselves. This one was a bit woolly but yeah, pretty good.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Pretty good, though with episodes like that I tend to like them according to how tightly they obey the rules the episode sets up to resolve themselves. This one was a bit woolly but yeah, pretty good.

The resolution was very hand-wavy but, I mean, we’re not going to have a mid-season episode end with The Doctor and his only companion getting vaporized.

Kind of a Moffat microcosm in a single episode: strong character dynamics, some rather casual cruelty, absolute disdain for the plot math that explains how we get to the resolution.

I’m not really a fan of his at all (I think he needs to have his fucking head examined for how often he goes to the Let’s Kill People Brutally for Plot Reasons well), but this is definitely one of his better efforts.

• Options
    RazielMortemRazielMortem Registered User regular
    Chibnall has muddied the waters worse than Cartmell with the 7th Doctor but overall he's still a Time Lord, he has their physiology etc. Thing is while he (conveniently) looks human, I can believe that any body capable of totally global cellular regeneration is packing a lot of energy.

I really hope they put a lid on this 'Doctor is a god' thing. The whole thing works better if he's just 'a madman in a box'. The triumph of a clever mortal over immortals is just a more interesting tale imo.

• Options
    RazielMortemRazielMortem Registered User regular
    On the episode,
    As the father of a young girl this episode felt a little too targeted to hit me in the feels. Which it did like a nuke. So I'm compromised.
    But it was very much a Moffat episode in that as usual it was a Fairy Tale masquerading as science fiction. I'm not sure you can analyse Moffat's work logically as all his plots fall apart. He cares about feelings not facts.

So it was a surprisingly tense, full of feelings and magical nonsense episode - pretty standard Moffat. Ymmv based on how much you need plots to make sense.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Most of the best Moffat episodes for me hold up really well in the moment, exploring the ramifications of a single hypothesis. This is the formula for Empty Child, Blink, Silence in the Library, etc. and it is almost always a hit for me. And they fall down in fridge logic analysis later, but I accept that; they aren't hard sci-fi but a Twilight Zone episode.

I think Boom fits pretty well into that mold, and I'm happy.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Watched Boom tonight.
    Not sure if I just am inoculated against Moffat's patterns due to repeated exposure, but this one didn't do it for me.

That 5 minute timer, for example, seemed to be not so much 5 minutes as "however long is left in the episode", and yeah that's how most timers like that work, but when every timer Moffat uses ends up being Zeno's Coutdown Timer Paradox, it kinda deflates the supposed tension for me.

Also, maybe it was just me, but that kid just seemed too incredibly detached from events surrounding her. Like, sure, she is looking for her dad, but she's standing in the center of a crater in a war zone with a man clearly on a land mine and people with guns yelling and shouting and clearly freaking out, and she's just gleefully scrolling through a photo album??

I like the suggestion that the algorithm would decide the explosion resulting from the Doctor would mess with the money and shut it down. Stupid, but at least it would be in line with the established premise of the setting. So would've the Doctor's original solution of having them surrender. But no, instead we get "AI rendering of a dead dad's last message to his daughter is somehow able to travel from the hologram projector, through the Doctor, through the tazer wires, to the Ambulance and hack the software somehow? Like that's some damn good adaptive AI software, far better than the software on the Ambulance that's...written by the same company?

Like, clearly, Moffat wanted the "father to father" connection and have that drive the solution, but also desperately wanted to kill the dad too because he thinks killing characters drives drama apparently, and just put both pieces in rather than bothering to resolve the conflicting story bits. Feels like he's done that several times before, but I can't think of a good example offhand.

It's a shame, too. There are really good elements here. The concept of them having unwittingly triggered the capitalist algorithm to drive the ideal casualty ratio is a really good one, a great way to set up a mystery and a revealed answer that also sets up a good morality point without being all that heavy handed about it. Actually using that, either directly or twisted, in the resolution, would've helped so much; instead, it just stands as an odd dangling detail that only serves for the Doctor to lecture them for a bit on the morality (and in such a skilled manner, since all that passion apparently didn't trigger any adrenaline or heart rate changes to trigger the landmine.)

Ultimately I'm left unhappy because it feels like there were so many base pieces here for an amazing episode, but they were just left there rather than composing them into a cohesive whole.

So yeah. Once again I took a lot of words to explain what in the end took someone else far less to say (Raziel in this case: Moffat cares about feelings, not facts).

"Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I can see not wanting to repeat the solution to a problem (we already had the answer to an unstoppable enemy being to surrender).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    My issue with boom is the child actor was definitely supposed to be much younger like 5-6 but she was closer to 11!or 12 and it made her scenes feel very off

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    The whole meat tube thing was pretty morbid. Typical Moffat.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was drifting in space

@Krathoon will create the new thread
    @Phoenix-D is backup

This discussion has been closed.