As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WARFRAME] Dead thread is dead byeeeeeeeeee

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    So the pistol riven for sliding kills on guys in dropships (aka just play Nezha on the plains) gave me an Akjagara Sci-lexicon of +142% Slash, +48.1% Grineer and +3.1 Punch... just in time for Akjagara prime.

luckyyyy

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    Got that sweet endo drop from the clan thingie.

Almost couldn't figure out how to interact with the thing though.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Well fellas, I've done it again.

5hi8l0bekwif.jpg

Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly, and I gotta turn all my warframes into gimmicky wizards.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    I don't see Umbral Intensify in that build. What is this, Babyframe, Babies Cry Free?

• Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    Geez, I'm a slow ninja ... I didn't realize that you needed to build a key to get into the dojo and that I didn't have enough polymer bundles to build it. Okay, well that's gonna take 12 hours ... hope I can catch the endo. If not cest la vie.

It also still hurts when I get kicked at the end of a mission ... but it hurts so good ... I'll be back for seconds tomorrow Warframe ... be gentle.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Things Focus Schools (& Spoiler Mode) are actually used for: being lazy about energy usage/conservation and easy revives.

Things Focus Schools are seemingly intended for: Endgame content like Eidolon Captures and the upcoming "Vallis Orb Heists"

That said, Focus schools have a lot of fun & beneficial aspects that make them much more than shrug-worthy. For instance, the core passives of Naramon give you a big affinity bonus for melee kills and makes your melee combo counter functionally non-diminishing, letting you leverage combo-oriented mods without expending slots on stuff like Drifting Contact or Gladiator Rush.

For reference, I didn't really start pursuing Focus stuff until they released Sanctuary Onslaught, at which point I was like MR17 and had been playing off and on for close to two years.

Focus is not really useful until you get to that MR level though. I don't think anyone on Switch who did not transfer their account needs to worry about it yet. There are much more profitable grinds to engage in that yield more immediate results.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Yeah my reaction to Focus unlocking and looking at the numbers for it was "hahahahahaha, ok yeah I'll worry about that at some point, I guess?"

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    ESO is mostly end game grind content, though an argument can definitely be made for getting your hands on Zenurik lenses because hot damn that tree has some super useful stuff in it that helps with energy recovery.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    And the Focus acquired from Eidolon Shards doesn't go against your daily cap.

the daily cap is mostly irrelevant I think, I don't know how someone would ever reach it the way it's calibrated right now.

Very easily if you do ESO as Saryn with a halfway decent build. Volt's another option, i forget who the other meta choices are (Sancutary Onslaught also works, it's just slower - good if you need Khora though). When i was bothering to play, i could easily get to wave 9+ as Saryn, which brought in a ton of focus. Quite often i could push into the early teens, which brought even more (Less optimal for rewards, better for focus)

So, okay though... how easy is it for a relatively new and mostly F2P player (I think I've been playing for around a month now?) with severe anxiety re: trading to get a "halfway decent" build?

Because I keep running into a thing where I run out of credits and endo to rank up my mods, and then I run out of room on my Warframe, and then I don't have any potatoes, and getting potatoes is it's own.... /gestures.

Or I go looking for, say, "Volt Builds," and I come across this thing, where the guy's like "haha this is pretty quick and whatever," only to see that ALL of his mods are maxed out, he has several mods I've never seen before in my life, and he has TWO Primed mods. (here: https://i.redd.it/ktc74it94d311.jpg). It'd take me literal years to get all that crap, I'm pretty sure.

I'm starting to feel that there's a H U G E gap between the longtime players and us new folks, mostly in the form of people who have been grinding since the beginning and have piles and piles of random shit just from when there wasn't that much to do so they just ran the same stuff over and over. It feels like you get to a certain point where the best way to get Good Stuff is endgame content... but you need to already have the Good Stuff to *do* endgame content.

And literally, LITERALLY... I just want my Spoiler to be slightly less terrible at doing things. That's it!

(Right now, I'm actually trying to get my Rhino Index build put together well enough that I can feel comfortable doing low-risk with PUGs, so that I can stop groaning every time I've got something I want to build that's 100k or more Credits. I happened to find a Gladiator Aegis the other night, so I'm thinking Vigor, Gladiator Aegis, Steel Fiber for Much Tankbutt to start until I find additional potatoes?)

Like just a... here's how to build generally when you're new and poor and floundering would be nice.

My advice as a fellow new player?

It seems like you're trying to do all the things.

Do not try to do all the things.

There are too many things.

There are way to many fucking things and almost none of them are explained at all.

What I've been doing is picking one or two goals when I log in and then sticking to them (barring must do alerts like alertium nitain). Farm a frame, farm a resource to build a thing, crack these relics for blueprints I want, get backup weapons cooking so I have something to switch to, etc.

Much less stressful and really much more productive because it turns out when I don't spend 10 minutes between every mission debating what I should do next I get more shit done :P

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Do do nightmare missions occasionally. The mods that you get from them are pretty sweet.

• Options
    Here's something for new players to consider, especially when they start putting forma on their warframes and collecting corrupted mods. What game modes do you enjoy the most, and what kind of abilities are going to help you get the most out of those modes? Consider what stats benefit what type of abilities. There are certain universal fundamentals that usually hold true no matter what warframe you're playing as.

Duration + Range = Crowd Control

This is the build of choice for players who like sorties and other high level content with strong enemies who can normally kill players with a single attack. Slow and steady wins the race, especially when your opponents are frozen in place. However, this build somewhat necessitates high damage weapons, since your abilities will be less good at killing things.

Strength + Range = Area of Effect

This build is for players who like sanctuary onslaught, survival missions, and other such game modes that encourage killing many enemies quickly. It excels at dispatching hordes of smaller foes, often before you can ever see them, but you'll need to rely on your weapons when facing enemies with stronger defenses. Consider something like a sniper rifle that can deliver powerful blows to a single target.

Strength + Duration = Damage Over Time

A more unconventional choice, but certainly not without fans of its own. A build like this can whittle down the defenses of even the most durable enemies, but at the risk of potentially getting swarmed by large crowds of cannon fodder. Consider pairing a build like this with weapons that are good at applying status ailments to enemies.

Max Range

Splitting the difference between the Crowd Control and Area of Effect builds, this build lets you minimize the impact of smaller enemies while keeping bigger ones locked down until you're ready to deal with them. "Divide and conquer" is the motto of players who prefer this playstyle.

Max Duration

Splitting the difference between the Crowd Control and Damage Over Time builds, this build is all about locking enemies down and slowly bleeding them to death as they lay helpless. Only truly merciless players who have no sympathy for Grineer and Corpus soldiers as they are forced to experience immense suffering need apply for this role.

Max Strength

Behold the wizard! Beware his power! Unspeakable power! Splitting the difference between the Area of Effect and Damage Over Time builds, this build can make you a master of the mystic arts, but at a price. This is the squishiest and most vulnerable of all builds, a true glass cannon. But the candle who burns half as long also burns twice as bright.

Shield Recharge + Shield Capacity + Armor + Health = Tank

As all true barbarians know, even the cleverest wizard has no good answer to a fist crushing his throat. Abilities are all well and good, but Warframe is still a third persona shooter at the end of the day, and there's nothing stopping you from just going full Megaman to jump and shoot your way across the Sol System.

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Yeah my reaction to Focus unlocking and looking at the numbers for it was "hahahahahaha, ok yeah I'll worry about that at some point, I guess?"

It actually goes pretty damn fast if you actually use ESO and Eidolon hunting.

But yeah, unlike a lot of things in this game you can't really get it done while doing something else. You either set aside time for specifically Focus, or it creeps along at a glacial rate. Which is not a big deal, because you don't need it for much. It will probably make the upcoming Orb Heists a lot easier though.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    I hope they take a look at optimising the Switch version to reflect it's handheld nature a little better.

Sitting through three different loading screens every time you pick it up right now isn't great.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Here's something for new players to consider, especially when they start putting forma on their warframes and collecting corrupted mods. What game modes do you enjoy the most, and what kind of abilities are going to help you get the most out of those modes? Consider what stats benefit what type of abilities. There are certain universal fundamentals that usually hold true no matter what warframe you're playing as.

This is the build of choice for players who like sorties and other high level content with strong enemies who can normally kill players with a single attack. Slow and steady wins the race, especially when your opponents are frozen in place. However, this build somewhat necessitates high damage weapons, since your abilities will be less good at killing things.

This build is for players who like sanctuary onslaught, survival missions, and other such game modes that encourage killing many enemies quickly. It excels at dispatching hordes of smaller foes, often before you can ever see them, but you'll need to rely on your weapons when facing enemies with stronger defenses. Consider something like a sniper rifle that can deliver powerful blows to a single target.

A more unconventional choice, but certainly not without fans of its own. A build like this can whittle down the defenses of even the most durable enemies, but at the risk of potentially getting swarmed by large crowds of cannon fodder. Consider pairing a build like this with weapons that are good at applying status ailments to enemies.

Max Range

Splitting the difference between the Crowd Control and Area of Effect builds, this build lets you minimize the impact of smaller enemies while keeping bigger ones locked down until you're ready to deal with them. "Divide and conquer" is the motto of players who prefer this playstyle.

Max Duration

Splitting the difference between the Crowd Control and Damage Over Time builds, this build is all about locking enemies down and slowly bleeding them to death as they lay helpless. Only truly merciless players who have no sympathy for Grineer and Corpus soldiers as they are forced to experience immense suffering need apply for this role.

Max Strength

Behold the wizard! Beware his power! Unspeakable power! Splitting the difference between the Area of Effect and Damage Over Time builds, this build can make you a master of the mystic arts, but at a price. This is the squishiest and most vulnerable of all builds, a true glass cannon. But the candle who burns half as long also burns twice as bright.

As all true barbarians know, even the cleverest wizard has no good answer to a fist crushing his throat. Abilities are all well and good, but Warframe is still a third persona shooter at the end of the day, and there's nothing stopping you from just going full Megaman to jump and shoot your way across the Sol System.

A caveat to this: At the extreme end of each specialization (range, strength, duration, and efficiency) the other aspects suffer. How they suffer is completely dependent not just on the frame, but the individual abilities. For instance, on Rhino, his iron skin neither benefits nor suffers from maximizing duration and range. Efficiency reduces the cost, but decreases both the base amount of armor added and reduces the multiplier you get for your armor. Conversely maximizing strength increases the base amount and multiplier, but also increases the cost. At the lower end these differences are not as pronounced, so you will not see a difference with just a maxed intensify, stretch, continuity, or streamline. Before you start chasing a max strength or duration build always check the wiki to see how the other abilities will suffer/benefit.

Edit : I should mention, since it may not be obvious, the reason that those interactions occur is not due to an innate function of your abilities, rather the mods necessary to achieve a maximum or near maximum value all have tradeoffs. Increased strength but decreased range, or whatever.

furlion on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    And the Focus acquired from Eidolon Shards doesn't go against your daily cap.

the daily cap is mostly irrelevant I think, I don't know how someone would ever reach it the way it's calibrated right now.

Very easily if you do ESO as Saryn with a halfway decent build. Volt's another option, i forget who the other meta choices are (Sancutary Onslaught also works, it's just slower - good if you need Khora though). When i was bothering to play, i could easily get to wave 9+ as Saryn, which brought in a ton of focus. Quite often i could push into the early teens, which brought even more (Less optimal for rewards, better for focus)

So, okay though... how easy is it for a relatively new and mostly F2P player (I think I've been playing for around a month now?) with severe anxiety re: trading to get a "halfway decent" build?

Because I keep running into a thing where I run out of credits and endo to rank up my mods, and then I run out of room on my Warframe, and then I don't have any potatoes, and getting potatoes is it's own.... /gestures.

Or I go looking for, say, "Volt Builds," and I come across this thing, where the guy's like "haha this is pretty quick and whatever," only to see that ALL of his mods are maxed out, he has several mods I've never seen before in my life, and he has TWO Primed mods. (here: https://i.redd.it/ktc74it94d311.jpg). It'd take me literal years to get all that crap, I'm pretty sure.

I'm starting to feel that there's a H U G E gap between the longtime players and us new folks, mostly in the form of people who have been grinding since the beginning and have piles and piles of random shit just from when there wasn't that much to do so they just ran the same stuff over and over. It feels like you get to a certain point where the best way to get Good Stuff is endgame content... but you need to already have the Good Stuff to *do* endgame content.

And literally, LITERALLY... I just want my Spoiler to be slightly less terrible at doing things. That's it!

(Right now, I'm actually trying to get my Rhino Index build put together well enough that I can feel comfortable doing low-risk with PUGs, so that I can stop groaning every time I've got something I want to build that's 100k or more Credits. I happened to find a Gladiator Aegis the other night, so I'm thinking Vigor, Gladiator Aegis, Steel Fiber for Much Tankbutt to start until I find additional potatoes?)

Like just a... here's how to build generally when you're new and poor and floundering would be nice.

Bluntly: No idea, and stuff like this is why I've quit playing warframe in general - Because i can curbstomp this content and get bored, while you're going to struggle unless you drop a hundred plus hours. Or whothefuckknows amounts of money, which ew. And then once you have all that stuff... you can drop a hundred plus hours into content that swings wildly between "Cakewalk" to "you died because things looked at you funny" with very little in between.

Like you're not wrong at all on that gap.

That said... If you're having fun, and you want to keep having fun - i second @HappylilElf suggestions. Dont lett my bitterness with the devs as a long term player dissuade you. (You are probably going to have to face up to trading eventually if you want to get any plat, but warframe.market can make it vey low stress - search what you want to sell, see if someone's onlien and wnats to buy it, message them, boom)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »

Max Range

Max Duration

Max Strength

A caveat to this: At the extreme end of each specialization (range, strength, duration, and efficiency) the other aspects suffer. How they suffer is completely dependent not just on the frame, but the individual abilities. For instance, on Rhino, his iron skin neither benefits nor suffers from maximizing duration and range. Efficiency reduces the cost, but decreases both the base amount of armor added and reduces the multiplier you get for your armor. Conversely maximizing strength increases the base amount and multiplier, but also increases the cost. At the lower end these differences are not as pronounced, so you will not see a difference with just a maxed intensify, stretch, continuity, or streamline. Before you start chasing a max strength or duration build always check the wiki to see how the other abilities will suffer/benefit.

Also, once you start obtaining augment mods, either directly from Syndicates or purchased from other players, keep in mind that the additional affects they apply to your abilities are also sometimes modified by ability stats, and in some cases an ability that normally isn't affected by a particular stat will be effected by that stat when that ability's augment is equipped. Using Rhino's iron skin as an example once again, it is normally not effected by range mods, but if you equip the iron shrapnel augment mod, the ability gains a damage effect that is effected by range mods. Look for augments that have synergy with your preferred way of building your warframes!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Yesterday I mentioned the "don't let the enemy recapture the area" mission type out on the plains.

Does anyone have any advice for that?

The majority of the time I'm doing it it's highly stressful unlike every other kind of mission, because I have lost quite a few times, often with 2-4 people in the squad. Just all of a sudden your percentage of control plummets and no one can physically find the enemies, and they win just because they were all piled behind some rock standing around.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Katsuhiro 1139Katsuhiro 1139 Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    Have one of your team get airborne - the section I'm thinking of where the Grineer tend to spiderfuck out of the ground in a giant clump is that valley toward the back-left (south-eastern?) part of the map. There's a little cleft by the edge of the plains where an entire assault team can seemingly hide themselves and your percentage will plummet. If you're on comms keep one team mate on spotter duty, or just check it religiously as a matter of course.

Good hunting!

• Options
    Or whothefuckknows amounts of money, which ew.

Now now, let's not whaleshame. There's nothing wrong with valuing hours of your life over a few dollars.

• Options
    High range and damage ember depending on the level of the enemies and how big the area is. Otherwise yeah getting up in the air with the most enemy detection you can get will make finding the enemies easier.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Now now, let's not whaleshame. There's nothing wrong with valuing hours of your life over a few dollars.

My issue is more dumping cash in rewards the devs for the crappy/expoiltive decisions (Or at least, what i feel are the crappy/explotive decisions). But you're right - If you've got the cash to burn, and this is a product you enjoy, go for it! My issues are my issues, and that's okay.

• Options

My issue is more dumping cash in rewards the devs for the crappy/expoiltive decisions (Or at least, what i feel are the crappy/explotive decisions). But you're right - If you've got the cash to burn, and this is a product you enjoy, go for it! My issues are my issues, and that's okay.

Can you elaborate on your grievances with this game in particular? I am curious since this one seems very fair on the f2p spectrum.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    "Reward the devs" as a negative is a strange perspective. Platinum and Prime packages are how the devs earn revenue and, in turn, how they can continue to add completely free content.

And it's awesome that there is a system in place to get that platinum if you want to spend time rather than money.

Other than wishing Plat was cheaper (come on coupons!), I feel this is one of the very few games that got f2p right.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    First, a story brought made possible by the Switch:

Doing an alert spy mission, go in and hack the first console like the super cool ninja I aspire to be.

2nd console area, sneak through a vent onto the edge of a conveyor belt. See a floaty alarm bot. Hear a greneer and see the frost aura around me, so it's gotta be close.

*Opens menu to pull out scanner and look through walls like a cool guy*
    *Accidentally hits the right stick, going over to the social menu*
    *Starts slow dancing*

Floaty alarm bot gets just far enough away, turns around, spots me. Alarms go off, countdown timer starts.

*Continues slow dancing*

I desperately try to stop, pushing every button I can think of.

*Dances even slower as I get shot and the timer gets super low*

I figure out how to stop the emote (I think I ended up waving?) and make a desperate run to the console. I make it with 2 seconds left and jam in one of the ciphers I've been stockpiling (you know, just in case).

*Breath sigh of relief*
    *Begin slow dancing again*

That aside, I keep trying to focus on just a few things at a time (trying to follow sage advice from before). But I keep ending up going after some new shiny all the time. Right now: making a gunblade. Eventually: Making a kavat and working on my crazy cat lady build (Khora and 2 kavats).

• Options

Can you elaborate on your grievances with this game in particular? I am curious since this one seems very fair on the f2p spectrum.

Honestly, this is one where i trip up on expressing myself well - other people have done it better on this topic. So if this comes off poorly or inchohernetly i apologize!

So, partly: Time investment required. Garuda sticks out here, but she's not the only frame that's an example of requiring really disturbing amounts of real life time invested (I should note part of my issue here is ethical in the sense that i believe games should be fun, and F2P's tendency in general to encourage players to sink thousands of hours into a game skeeves me out. So it's not a warframe specific problem).

The market still has multiple exploitative purchases - Endo, Plat etc that are predatory and pray on people not knowing better. There's some good break downs out there.

Rushing likewise is very predatory priced.

And well, to me "Fair on the Free to play spectrum" is a bit of a damned with faint praise type thing, if that makes sense?

Most of my other issues with the game are actual gameplay related, and are to do with the game feeling like it's built on rotten foundations - The multiplicative scaling of guns obviating most challenge, the dev's weird obsession with not implementing universal vacuum (Which also seems to match up with them having a weird resistance to how fast the game plays - see the backlash around Garuda's original alt, and the developers being well, surprised by this). The energy system for warframes is borked - it's telling how many people's favourite spoiler trees are the one that actually make it semi-useable. The fact that most diffuclt content is achieved mostly by scaling things to ridiculous degrees such that a single bullet will put you down, or by lots of invulnerability phases/ability spam (Oh, hi eidilons).

A lot of my frustration also comes because there's parts of the game i really, really like. The gun play in general feels really good, especially as for a third person game. The parkour is great, and i do plan to check out the Jupiter rework when it lands, since that's supposed to lean into it more? Looking forward to that. I like the planes of eidilon a lot overall. I like the characters blend of powers and how that interacts with the game-play (though again, the half-assed passives, like Rhinos, or poor scaling that cripples stuff like Ember i'm not a fan of). The Nezha Rework was great for instance! More of that! Give me game play that encourages thought and complexity, not one-button the room died.

Or heck, there's a lot of stuff where you playing optimally denies other people fun. Saryn brings some fairly interesting gameplay to manage - but it's really only interesting for her. For everyone else, you may as well twiddle your thumbs while everyone dies from a spontaneous case of SPACE FLU. She's hardly the only example - and given this is a co-op game at heart, what that says about the game design really grates at me. My enjoyment should not come at the cost of other player's enjoyment

But in general like, i play games for a: fun, b: challenge. Ideally, i get both. I'm not adverse to grind, but i am adverse to feeling like the game is a job. As an example: Monster Hunter World has some seriously silly issues with grind in it's ultra-late game, and that's stuff i resent. But the core gameplay loop is still both fun and challenging, and engaging. And if i dont want to play MHW? It's cool, it'll still be there when i get back. (sure there are weekly quests, and time-limited events, weekly events have a minor reward that's useful but hardly gamebreaking, and time-limited events come back regularly)

If i choose not to play warframe, i loose daily logins, i loose daily focus gain etcera... and that as said, skeeves me out. The game effectively demands how/when i play it, and that's not something i'm happy with.

End of the day, these are my thoughts and feelings, and i sincerely apologise if anyone's feeling attacked for liking the game or enjoying it. If you enjoy the game, more power to you! i'm genuinely glad you're having fun, and please keep having fun! The world always needs more fun!

• Options
    novaspike wrote: »
    First, a story brought made possible by the Switch:

Doing an alert spy mission, go in and hack the first console like the super cool ninja I aspire to be.

2nd console area, sneak through a vent onto the edge of a conveyor belt. See a floaty alarm bot. Hear a greneer and see the frost aura around me, so it's gotta be close.

*Opens menu to pull out scanner and look through walls like a cool guy*
    *Accidentally hits the right stick, going over to the social menu*
    *Starts slow dancing*

Floaty alarm bot gets just far enough away, turns around, spots me. Alarms go off, countdown timer starts.

*Continues slow dancing*

I desperately try to stop, pushing every button I can think of.

*Dances even slower as I get shot and the timer gets super low*

I figure out how to stop the emote (I think I ended up waving?) and make a desperate run to the console. I make it with 2 seconds left and jam in one of the ciphers I've been stockpiling (you know, just in case).

*Breath sigh of relief*
    *Begin slow dancing again*

That aside, I keep trying to focus on just a few things at a time (trying to follow sage advice from before). But I keep ending up going after some new shiny all the time. Right now: making a gunblade. Eventually: Making a kavat and working on my crazy cat lady build (Khora and 2 kavats).

ung4vrbnwi7v.png

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Yesterday I mentioned the "don't let the enemy recapture the area" mission type out on the plains.

Does anyone have any advice for that?

The majority of the time I'm doing it it's highly stressful unlike every other kind of mission, because I have lost quite a few times, often with 2-4 people in the squad. Just all of a sudden your percentage of control plummets and no one can physically find the enemies, and they win just because they were all piled behind some rock standing around.

They sometimes spawn way up in the air. Bring a sniper rifle and take a look around the sky.

Other than that, I've noticed they have set spawn points for each camp that don't really change between bounties. Like there's a camp on a hill with a lake at the bottom and they pretty much always spawn at the edge of that lake. There's also one at the very edge of the map where they spawn behind two big rocks at opposite ends of the camp.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    The energy system for warframes is borked - it's telling how many people's favourite spoiler trees are the one that actually make it semi-useable.

I may not agree with all the criticisms in your post, but this part is definitely true. Many consider Warframe to be the spiritual successor of Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, but that game did a much better job of balancing ability use with weapon use than Warframe does.

• Options
    The energy system for warframes is borked - it's telling how many people's favourite spoiler trees are the one that actually make it semi-useable.

I may not agree with all the criticisms in your post, but this part is definitely true. Many consider Warframe to be the spiritual successor of Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, but that game did a much better job of balancing ability use with weapon use than Warframe does.

Yeah, I've been werided out from day one. Especially since it seems like a: Cooldowns, and b: some sort of innate regen would be well, healthy for the game! You'd probably need to rework energy spheres, but still. Yikes. (I think part of the problem is that warframe's model seems finical relent on constantly releasing new content, which leaves little time for going back and fixing previous content/adressing deep-set concerns?).

Even just from a play ability pov, powers feel good to use! Not being able to use them because energy didn't drop is... not a fun feeling.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, though some frames and builds make their own energy.

Trinity can pump energy out to the party. Garuda trades her health for energy (and promptly heals it all back if she wants). A number of frames play well with Hunter Adrenaline/Rage.

But beyond that .. well, people pick Zenurik for a reason.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Yeah, I've been werided out from day one. Especially since it seems like a: Cooldowns, and b: some sort of innate regen would be well, healthy for the game! You'd probably need to rework energy spheres, but still. Yikes. (I think part of the problem is that warframe's model seems finical relent on constantly releasing new content, which leaves little time for going back and fixing previous content/adressing deep-set concerns?).

Even just from a play ability pov, powers feel good to use! Not being able to use them because energy didn't drop is... not a fun feeling.

Important to also note the different ways in which the system sucks. When you're an old player, you can just toss pizzas willy-nilly and basicallly have infinite energy, which means the system might as well not exist. And when you're a new player, well, let's just say I remember beating entire Exterminate missions having used a skill exactly twice.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Skill scaling with rank is kind of dumb too. Primarily durations for things start out uselessly low.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Skill damage being a set value is also a problem. Frames with abilities that deal direct damage just can't keep up without a silly number of mods in a lot of cases.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    A lot of my frustration also comes because there's parts of the game i really, really like. The gun play in general feels really good, especially as for a third person game. The parkour is great

Y'know it's fun to bullet jump around, the actual movement is good, but interacting with any physical object in the environment is a geometry nightmare. You are blocked constantly. "Oh hey I can't wall jump up this wall because there's a tiny ledge jutting out" etc. And even wall jumping and wallrunning/side jumping feels awkward to use and switch between, it feels like the game has a mind of its own sometimes as to what my character will do when I jump against a wall.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zXKtfKnfT8
    Fortuna 2 dropped and Mesa Prime will be rotating in later today!

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1044890-fortuna-the-profit-taker-update-242/

The patch notes are pretty huge and I'm on a plane so I'll have to wait till later today to format and post them here assuming they fit.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    pretty sure you'll have time since we're probably converting into holiday forums nightmare mode in a few days. :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options

Honestly, this is one where i trip up on expressing myself well - other people have done it better on this topic. So if this comes off poorly or inchohernetly i apologize!

So, partly: Time investment required. Garuda sticks out here, but she's not the only frame that's an example of requiring really disturbing amounts of real life time invested (I should note part of my issue here is ethical in the sense that i believe games should be fun, and F2P's tendency in general to encourage players to sink thousands of hours into a game skeeves me out. So it's not a warframe specific problem).

The market still has multiple exploitative purchases - Endo, Plat etc that are predatory and pray on people not knowing better. There's some good break downs out there.

Rushing likewise is very predatory priced.

And well, to me "Fair on the Free to play spectrum" is a bit of a damned with faint praise type thing, if that makes sense?

Most of my other issues with the game are actual gameplay related, and are to do with the game feeling like it's built on rotten foundations - The multiplicative scaling of guns obviating most challenge, the dev's weird obsession with not implementing universal vacuum (Which also seems to match up with them having a weird resistance to how fast the game plays - see the backlash around Garuda's original alt, and the developers being well, surprised by this). The energy system for warframes is borked - it's telling how many people's favourite spoiler trees are the one that actually make it semi-useable. The fact that most diffuclt content is achieved mostly by scaling things to ridiculous degrees such that a single bullet will put you down, or by lots of invulnerability phases/ability spam (Oh, hi eidilons).

A lot of my frustration also comes because there's parts of the game i really, really like. The gun play in general feels really good, especially as for a third person game. The parkour is great, and i do plan to check out the Jupiter rework when it lands, since that's supposed to lean into it more? Looking forward to that. I like the planes of eidilon a lot overall. I like the characters blend of powers and how that interacts with the game-play (though again, the half-assed passives, like Rhinos, or poor scaling that cripples stuff like Ember i'm not a fan of). The Nezha Rework was great for instance! More of that! Give me game play that encourages thought and complexity, not one-button the room died.

Or heck, there's a lot of stuff where you playing optimally denies other people fun. Saryn brings some fairly interesting gameplay to manage - but it's really only interesting for her. For everyone else, you may as well twiddle your thumbs while everyone dies from a spontaneous case of SPACE FLU. She's hardly the only example - and given this is a co-op game at heart, what that says about the game design really grates at me. My enjoyment should not come at the cost of other player's enjoyment

But in general like, i play games for a: fun, b: challenge. Ideally, i get both. I'm not adverse to grind, but i am adverse to feeling like the game is a job. As an example: Monster Hunter World has some seriously silly issues with grind in it's ultra-late game, and that's stuff i resent. But the core gameplay loop is still both fun and challenging, and engaging. And if i dont want to play MHW? It's cool, it'll still be there when i get back. (sure there are weekly quests, and time-limited events, weekly events have a minor reward that's useful but hardly gamebreaking, and time-limited events come back regularly)

If i choose not to play warframe, i loose daily logins, i loose daily focus gain etcera... and that as said, skeeves me out. The game effectively demands how/when i play it, and that's not something i'm happy with.

End of the day, these are my thoughts and feelings, and i sincerely apologise if anyone's feeling attacked for liking the game or enjoying it. If you enjoy the game, more power to you! i'm genuinely glad you're having fun, and please keep having fun! The world always needs more fun!

That is very well put and I understand some of what you are saying. I disagree with most of it, but I understand what you mean. Can you please name a game that you think does f2p better? In any genre, not just the same as warframe.

• Options
    wow, I really shouldn't have read those patch notes because they just took a minutes long piss in my cheerios:
    Psychic bolts:
    • No longer deals any damage and will temporarily disable Armor & Shield, slow down Infested units, and disable Ancients' Auras.
    • Psychic Bolts can be cast once on up to 6 targets. Kill these targets before you can cast again, OR hold '2' to reset targets and cast again!

They killed magic missile spam. :\

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Whoa, wait, Mesa Prime?!

Yessssssssss.

Wonder how good she'll be / when she'll hit consoles?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Primes hit at the same time on all platforms.

ugh... Nyx... why... :(

edit: correction, the Switch gets Mesa Prime in early 2019:

tastydonuts on