As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Breathtaking [jobs]

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I usually get the toasty ones but this was a secret santa gift, so.

Speaking of which i need to paint that dang wizard miniature they got me!

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I keep no desk snacks for I would eat them all immediately. There's one package of oyster crackers in my jacket pocket for an emergency snack, but that's about it.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    yo you got the extra toasty cheezits?

No just the regular kind. I'm not fancy like you folk, I'm a simple man who loves cheese crackers

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    What about the people who elect to not participate in social media?

Like, if you do a search for my name you get very little. No Facebook, no Instagram, no nothing. A few articles about my arrest almost 15 years ago, a couple of pieces mentioning me or picturing me interviewing/MC'ing for a radio event, and that's all.

So do I get pushed to the bottom of the pile because HR rep can't figure me out? This is something I've been wondering about for a bit.

Depends on the job, and what you got arrested for. I worked with a colleague who had a criminal record. Didn't stop him getting a job or his government security clearance. You just have to disclose the information at application

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    TIL my twitter handle of cougarhunter69blazeit420ilovemilfs may have cost me a job? This is outrageous!

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    TIL my twitter handle of cougarhunter69blazeit420ilovemilfs may have cost me a job? This is outrageous!

You joke, but I review resumes and... Let's just say you'd be surprised at what people use for their professional work email addresses.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    So this job interview I tried to turn down twice has rolled around

So of course they are running "at least half an hour" late

They aren't doing themselves any favours here

Amazing. That was possibly the worst interview I've ever had.

It involved arguing with a grown man about the meaning of the word transparent

You should couldn't see their point of view?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    They have a candy bucket in the backroom at work it usually gets candy or sometimes the fruit buckets from broken open packages
    But lately it's been candy canes and I would like something different

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

You joke, but I review resumes and... Let's just say you'd be surprised at what people use for their professional work email addresses.

Kid in one of my university classes was using something like "hotstud6969@aol.com" at one point

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular

Kid in one of my university classes was using something like "hotstud6969@aol.com" at one point

An AOL email? Something seems fishy.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

I wanted to use my name for a professional sounding email to put on resumes. I had to resort to using @live.com for it because literally every thing on gmail is taken. I'm embarased to be using @live, and if I was an employer I'd count that as a strike against me.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »

Well I mean this was 16ish years ago.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I overheard a conversation yesterday where a person relayed their still active aol email address.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    My email address has taya in it which is one letter off from my real first name so when I give people my email, people assume I made a typo and send emails to my actual first name @ gmail.com and I don't get the email.

I made another email address with my real ass name spelled correctly but it is @ outlook.com.

• Options
    Well curious Mice@myhouse.com is a real email but the ISP does not exist

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    My email address has taya in it which is one letter off from my real first name so when I give people my email, people assume I made a typo and send emails to my actual first name @ gmail.com and I don't get the email.

I made another email address with my real ass name spelled correctly but it is @ outlook.com.

Good to meet you, Taaa.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just own every combination of firstname.lastname@gmail.com for my name, including shortened versions and mispellings and ones with my middle initial.

I get a lot of people who accidentally use one of my gmail accounts (instead of like, their @yahoo.com or @comcast.net or whatever address) when they sign up for something online.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    What the hell how is it noon already

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    30 minutes and then we close till January.

Just gotta hold out 30 more minutes.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

Your weird west coast time zone nonsense just super freaked me out because I literally just read that and said out loud "How the fuck is it only noon?"

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

Cause you're living in the past Mori. It's already 1:00 out here.
    2mi5h4rc2ht1.jpg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Lol it's nearly half past four on Friday morning here. Catch up, suckas!

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    The hell are you doing awake?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    The hell are you doing awake?

Woke up early. My sleep patterns have been shot to shit for the last week because a sore throat is preventing me from sleeping properly.

• Options
    I bought a domain name based on my lastname so it's like firstname@lastname.domain

it's good stuff

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

I did an interview once with a girl whos email was "Whaleloverpromiseitsnotsexual@hotmail.com" and my only reaction was 'Hotmail? Its 2012!'

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    He wakes up before the sun every morning so he can call it names and prove he's better.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Things you don't want to see shortly before an 11-day break:
    "Your password will expire in three days, please change your password."

oh fuck, this is so getting written on a post-it note.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »

just wait until you come back!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Lol it's nearly half past four on Friday morning here. Catch up, suckas!

Wait, there's a 4:30 in the morning now?
    What a world we live in.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

Tomorrow if I stay through the afternoon potluck I get a turkey.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Bucketman wrote: »

I did an interview once with a girl whos email was "Whaleloverpromiseitsnotsexual@hotmail.com" and my only reaction was 'Hotmail? Its 2012!'

My primary email account is still my old hotmail account from the 90's. It gets far less spam than my gmail account.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »

Tomorrow if I stay through the afternoon potluck I get a turkey.

I didn't know you worked for Marley and Marley!

• Options
    I have brainleech as some of my emails . I often get spam fishing emails for Brian Leech or similar which is not my real name. My real name is 3 uncommon first names

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I bought a domain name based on my lastname so it's like firstname@lastname.domain

it's good stuff

One of my architecture friends did something similar in first year of our studies where he made his email Firstname@fullnamearchitecture.com prepared for when he sets his company up in twenty years time.

And they accuse architects of being egotistical!

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

One of my coworkers and classmates uses an aol email address. Still logs into AOL and everything.

I asked him about the servers still being online and he responded: "yeah like all but 2 days a month they're fine"

Just what.

Also in further news this stupid vision test took 30 minutes. Better than perfect vision. Now I'm waiting in the airport and was able to get a flight earlier to get home, so instead of going to Dallas Love Field and then to Austin I'm going straight to Austin and saving the government $8.61. And I've emailed my PoC my expenses for the hotel and Lyfts (85 bucks whoo lad).

What a fucking stupid waste of time and money.

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »

it's good stuff

One of my architecture friends did something similar in first year of our studies where he made his email Firstname@fullnamearchitecture.com prepared for when he sets his company up in twenty years time.

And they accuse architects of being egotistical!

Genius.

I considered using my last name for a business name but knowing how racist/idiotic people in this area can be I don't think it'd be a swell idea.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

just wait until you come back!

Yeah I definitely haven't made the mistake of tying certain automated tasks to my login until a more permanent solution was developed. That's not a thing >_>

• Options
    I can't even judge you for that

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Today I was in a waste management facility. We were warned by a forklift operator not to touch the edges of the bins being used in the operation. One warning, a second "Seriously, do not touch the bins at all," followed by, "If anyone touches it, let me know right away."

Neat!

This discussion has been closed.