As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Pulse Lasers are the go-to energy weapons of choice since it dishes out damage in a smaller time than the normal ones. Or if you have 3-5 regular lasers in a group that also helps do a bunch of damage. Otherwise, yeah for the most part you are just touching and peeling off armor of your enemy. Which is not a bad thing in the long run.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Dont brawl with lasers. You need to play the long game, IMO. Peek and poke unless you find a weakness or isolated enemy. I've never had luck with many pure laser builds, but I do have a couple.

• Options
    My best are: 6SPL Arctic Cheetah, 5SPL, 1SL Flea with MASC, 5 ML + ECM Wolfhound, 4ML Pirate's Bane Locust, 2LPL + ECM Shadow Cat and 2ERPPC Panther.

I have had a decent damage output with my 3LPL, 4ML Banshee and 6ML + ECM Phoenix Hawk.

But the others I have usually Energy with Ballistics where the Ballistics are machine guns to scoop out the damaged gooey innards.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I look at my laser vom mechs as setting up for my dakka teammates. Strip armor so they have a better chance of getting internal.

I can and do brawl with lasers, but usually try to hold off until the enemy team is really chewed up or we have a numbers advantage.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    It would be helpful if post game stats broke up damage dealt between armor and structure, to see how (and if) I'm contributing to the team.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Ideally, if your target is standing still you'll want to basically almost let go of your mouse when you fire, so you get as much pinpoint damage as possible. Don't waggle unless you need to track.

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Pulse Lasers are the go-to energy weapons of choice since it dishes out damage in a smaller time than the normal ones. Or if you have 3-5 regular lasers in a group that also helps do a bunch of damage. Otherwise, yeah for the most part you are just touching and peeling off armor of your enemy. Which is not a bad thing in the long run.

For the IS side of MWO I'd recommend against Large Pulse Lasers these days unless your mech has a load of quirks. The extra 2 tons really only get you a fraction of a second off the duration and cooldown. Large Lasers have 100m more range, lower heat, and still retain about 80% of the DPS.

I like Medium Pulse Lasers a lot, and Small Pulse Lasers both gain roughly 50% more DPS than their normal counterparts, and you're brawling, so the range penalty doesn't come into play. My favorite pulse laser builds are the Pheonix Hawk 1K with 8 SPL and the PHX-2 with 6 MPLs. Someday I'll have get a Javalin 11A.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Massed lasers are also my favorite weapon against lights. Strip off that leg!

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options

For the IS side of MWO I'd recommend against Large Pulse Lasers these days unless your mech has a load of quirks. The extra 2 tons really only get you a fraction of a second off the duration and cooldown. Large Lasers have 100m more range, lower heat, and still retain about 80% of the DPS.

I like Medium Pulse Lasers a lot, and Small Pulse Lasers both gain roughly 50% more DPS than their normal counterparts, and you're brawling, so the range penalty doesn't come into play. My favorite pulse laser builds are the Pheonix Hawk 1K with 8 SPL and the PHX-2 with 6 MPLs. Someday I'll have get a Javalin 11A.

This reminds me that I miss the all MPL Thunderbolt days. Those drops we're the best in CW...

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Counterpoint: Being able to dump your damage in a hair over half a second lets you torso twist away quicker than having to face people down for the full 1.1s of the laser burn. Although, it is kind of interesting that the IS large laser has (roughly) the same burn time as the Clan large pulse.

Personally, I'm trying to like the large pulses on my Marauder II (being able to get their burn time to being at or slightly under half a second is kind of funny)...but having an energy boat build is something I'm not exactly used to these days. After I've found the loving embraceclamps of my King Crab Variety-AC2 Power Hour and the glory to be had with the twin-heavy gauss Mauler and my triple-LB10X Clan workhorses (both in the form of Nova Cats and ECM'd Night Gyrs)...lasers don't thrill me the way they used to.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    My favorite king crab load out is 2 er large and 2 ac20s with ammo for days.
    You can hill peak early with the larges, and when things get up and personal you can wreck face...

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I just realized my Timbie looks stupid as hell without its fuckoff missile-ears.

In a post Game of Thrones world, the MW2 mascot mech is even more awesome.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    It's just not a MAD-CAT without the CAT.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Dont brawl with lasers. You need to play the long game, IMO. Peek and poke unless you find a weakness or isolated enemy. I've never had luck with many pure laser builds, but I do have a couple.

Yeah, I think the only way you can really "brawl" with lasers is to run those close range knife fighter builds like Baradul will do every now and then -a fast mech that boats a bunch of micro lasers.

• Options
    It is Thursday, so that means it is Oosik Night!

Bring your lasers because we're going to pew pew.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Sorry kids still out of town, get some AC/20 kills for me

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Sorry kids still out of town, get some AC/20 kills for me

I'll pilot the King Crab in your honor.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Yeah, I think the only way you can really "brawl" with lasers is to run those close range knife fighter builds like Baradul will do every now and then -a fast mech that boats a bunch of micro lasers.

IS side only small lasers and medium pulse lasers are really good brawler weapons in terms of balancing heat efficiency/firepower/range. Small pulse lasers just require you to get too close and while MLs are awesome midrange weapons they're better used in small numbers to complement a low-heat weapon like LBXs.

Clan side the medium pulse laser is fricking awesome, as are small pulses and ER small&micro lasers. The medium heavy laser and ER lasers are too heat intensive, and the others have too short range for my taste.
    You just have to love the small pulses and ERSLs on lights/mediums and the medium pulse lasers on mediums/heavies. Clan assaults don't really favor energy heavy weapons for brawling, and instead either favor poptarting or ballistic builds.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    Huh. I've always felt like HML were the best DPS energy weapon, probably because I equipped them on my favorite mech. Large lasers are mostly for early poking on open maps, and even SPL always felt insubstantial. I'll have to fiddle around with some of my builds, especially now that I have a bunch skilled up, and try not to be fooled by visual and sound effects...

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    4 hml hero ice ferret is a nasty machine

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Huh. I've always felt like HML were the best DPS energy weapon, probably because I equipped them on my favorite mech. Large lasers are mostly for early poking on open maps, and even SPL always felt insubstantial. I'll have to fiddle around with some of my builds, especially now that I have a bunch skilled up, and try not to be fooled by visual and sound effects...

Clan SPLs might only deal 4 damage per shot, but they can fire almost 3 salvos for every salvo fired by the HMLs. So over 7 seconds they deal more damage, while still generating 25% less heat. On top of that the faster pulses means that you'll deal more damage to an individual component.
    If you only pop out every 7 seconds though, then the HML will beat the pulses hands down.

They have their advantages and disadvantages in terms of sustain, peeking, range and alpha, but overall I favor SPLs.

• Options
    Pinging @Erlkönig for Oosik Night.

I'm early and in game.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Crap...lost track of time while trying out Stardew Valley multiplayer with a college buddy.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    No worries, I just did a few solo drops with my ECM Flea, Wolfhound and ended with the Vapor Eagle. Some matches were ok, but not sure if I'll get the 5 500+ matches for the free mech.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Paradox is doing a 24h Space Day Charity Stream, starting ... 45 minutes ago.
    Battletech isn't on the schedule until a little over 12 hours from now, but after one hour of that, HBS will be taking over the stream for an hour an a half from their brand new Streaming Room in their new offices.
    (That's 11.00 pm CEST for Battletech, midnight CEST for HBS Takeover.)

Schedule info:
    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/space-day-charity-stream.1167325/

Actual stream:
    twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Ark Evensong on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    So turns out the audio crash bug that's kept me from playing Battletech for months can be skirted by adjusting the slider one click above 0

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    No worries, I just did a few solo drops with my ECM Flea, Wolfhound and ended with the Vapor Eagle. Some matches were ok, but not sure if I'll get the 5 500+ matches for the free mech.

Sometimes I wonder how I would do if I actually played my slightly-more-optimized, fully skilled up mechs instead of just slapping whatever weapon is required for the day's challenge onto whatever mech has 2x XP and <91 skill points. I think I can count the number of 500+ matches I've ever had on one hand.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Sadly, I don't have to worry about 2x XP for my mechs since I have so many legacy skill points. My problem is being too aggressive and dying way too fast, or not aiming well enough to do enough damage.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Sadly, I don't have to worry about 2x XP for my mechs since I have so many legacy skill points. My problem is being too aggressive and dying way too fast, or not aiming well enough to do enough damage.

For me, I don't worry about the 2x XP for my mechs because I just have too many mechs to have that be a concern. If I did, holy crap...there aren't enough hours in the day to get the 2x XP win boost on all my mechs.

Far easier to just slap on my desired weapons/equipment on mechs with the +30% cbill boost and use those.

• Options
    Haha, I am starting to get that problem! But I also largely ignore my skilled out mechs, and until those 3x free Marauder II I never had more than one mech in each weight class that still needed skill points!

• Options
    edited May 2019
    What sucks in the old version of skills you HAD to have 3 versions just to "Master" a mech (unlock all the skills).

Edit: I realized that I still have mechs with no skill points on them since I haven't touched them since the skill trees were implemented. Mechs like my Thunderbolts are just gathering dust. Back then they were my work horses.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Battletech part of the stream is live now.
    First the Paradox team will play Battletech for a bit, I think still on 1.5/Flashpoint, but HBS should join/take over in a little less than an hour. Expect info on the 1.6 update then, at least.

[EDIT] HBS section about to start. [/EDIT]
    [Last EDIT] And it's done.
    [No I lied] Changed video link to specific HBS video

[MORE EDITS]
    Larger Star Map: 50 new star systems coreward.
    Star Map filters for Biome and Difficulty.
    Keeps track of systems you've visited.

Optional random starting lance.

Career mode scoring is now weighted to difficulty.

New Events, with event chains.

7 new 'Mech variants
    - Hatchetman 3K, with Missile Hardpoints
    - 2 Urbanmech variants: UM-R60L with AC/20, UM-R90, Trashcan with a lightning gun.
    - Banshee 3S
    - Catapult C4
    - Vindicator 1AA
    - Blackjack 1DB

[EVEN MORE]
    "Battle" encounter type expanded a lot, including the possibility of multiple factions on the battlefield. (Allies, enemies of enemies.)

More LosTech

Improved/overhaul how objectives are presented in missions.

Missed shots can hit other 'Mechs or buildings. (No friendly fire for units, but buildings are fair game.)

This is all in 1.6.

Ark Evensong on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Star map filters wooooooooo!!!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    The R90 SuburbanMech returns!

The new Hatchetman variant solves another minor mystery too. No preexisting variant had missiles, but HBS added (unused) missile hardpoints to their model anyway. Now we know why.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    That's all exciting. I'm assuming the 1.6 ETA is the same time as Urban Warfare?

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    The 5 500 match score event requirement was rough. Wish I could drop back a few tiers. Finally got it, but so many 400'ish match scores, ugh.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Edit: this was a question about Alpha Strike, but I moved it over to the thread for the tabletop games.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »
    The 5 500 match score event requirement was rough. Wish I could drop back a few tiers. Finally got it, but so many 400'ish match scores, ugh.

I always figured the best way to get those -regardless of tier- is to spam lrm boats and vote for as many polar highlands rounds as you can.